Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Penis Admiration

Lilac, ho wood, smoky vanilla, galbanum, and tonka.

wah. this is GREAT in the imp. very unique- i get a bit of floral/wood, mostly tonka and smoky vanilla. on me it's screaming, headache-inducing lilac with a hint of promising vanilla in the background. i'll put this away for a few months and hope that the other notes team up and murder the lilac.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. I love Beth's Smoky Vanilla. I must admit, initially two things scared me away from this blend. The name Penis Admiration, in combination with the note of ho wood made me wonder if this might be slightly masculine. And i've not had much experience with lilac, so that worried me too. Fortunately, my concerns were all for naught. On me this is mostly creamy, smoky vanilla, woven deliciously with the lilac. The ho wood is very gentle, i have to really sniff to catch it, and i think it just adds a hint of warmth and complexity, no wood shavings yay! I'm not a big florals type of gal, so this is the type of floral that works perfectly for me, it is creamy and velvety soft. I may need a back-up!

First thought- Marcilla!

(checks notes for Marcilla)

Must be the lilac.

As it dries down, it becomes less like Marcilla, a bit more masculine.

Very nice.

I'm not sure I like the vanilla in Penis Admiration. I tried it once before, and thought I liked it, but today, it is going plasticky/play-doh-y on me... I think it's the creaminess others have talked about. It reminds me of Love's Philosophy with it's vanilla cream note that I didn't like on my skin, neither.

There also seems to be some kind of menthol hidden somewhere... totally weird, unless it is part of the characteristics of ho wood. Or maybe I am testing too many oils at the same time.

Well, this is definitely a creamy lilac blend on me. It's quite beautiful. The vanilla and lilac are the prominent notes on my skin. I wished the wood came out a little more, and maybe it will with aging. Overall, this is a win. :)

Wet: Surprisingly soft and weak while it's freshly applied. :huh?: It smells like gentle lilac musk wrapped up in vanilla, with just the barest hint of rich, deep galbanum giving it some body.

Dry: The ho wood comes out and it's a perfect match for the lilac. Both notes feel "cool" to me, almost minty or methol-y at times, only ho wood is well, woody, and lilac has a gently purple floral tone. The galbanum eases perfectly into that, too, adding a complicated greenish note that feels appropriately masculine here. Ultimately, though, these are just flavorings for the smoky vanilla, which is the star of the show... only, the vanilla itself feels a bit discordant with the sharper edged notes. It's like someone rudely splashed some creamy vanilla over the perfectly refined ho wood - lilac - galbanum trifecta. Kind of gross, really, thanks to the power of suggestion of the name. Hahahaha. Anyway... I feel like this is less "smoky vanilla" and more "creamy vanilla", like, there's something milky in here. For a minute it goes sour, but then it just settles down into the dreaded play-dough smell. There's probably tonka lurking in here somewhere, but it's hard to pick out the gently woody tonka note amidst its olfactory cousin, vanilla.

Overall: Um, not what I expected. I think age will help this particular oil out, it'll smooth the notes together and make it smell more unified. Right now, though, it isn't sitting right on my skin. It's not lilacy enough, and has too much vanilla.

ETA: I want to add, as soft as this started out, with time it got stronger and STRONGER and STRONGER and less play-dough, more rancid play-dough. Oh god. Absolutely suffocating and revolting.

Edited by findaghost

Deep golden oil. First whiff is VERY sweet, richy and creamy - definitely foody - with loads of delicious vanilla and some tonka - but behind it I can smell the almost tart or citrusy ho wood, which is really fresh and green and bright without being sharp, soapy, or anything bad. It's fantastic here, and melds with the also-bright, almost fruity greenness of the lovely galbanum. The lilac is just beyond that, feeling cool and blue, a soft, fresh and unisex springlike floral - possibly the best lilac I've smelled in BPAL.

More floral, woody, resiny - with way more lilac and the green notes amping instantly on my skin, and the so-commanding sweet notes now in a close second place below these. Unfortunately, the lilac also turns on my skin instantly, becoming sort of rotten the way some iris types do (and whatever's in Ides of March, it that same soapy, green, rotten floral sort of thing), and it's also gone quite soapy. Cry! The ho wood is a bit sharper, but still pretty nice, while the galbanum is a little...off. Sour or something - I think it's contributing to the rotten floral effect. The vanilla is still gorgeous but so much fainter on my skin, sadly, and the tonka is buttery and cloying and more distinct now. My skin totally destroyed this blend. :(

The rotten floral effect is amping, alas, and the lilac, though it has thankfully lost most of its soapiness - apparently that was a brief phase - has gone very heady on me as it often does, in an oppressive and cloying manner that's not helped by the buttery, wannabe-fake-vanilla sweetness of the tonka - bc this is definitely not a wearable type of tonka for me. The galbanum's still sort of sour and definitely mixing with the lilac & tonka in a bad way. But the ho wood - still pretty strong - and the smoky vanilla - sadly much faded - are still absolutely lovely - they're just completely bitch slapped into ghosts of their former selves by the heavy bullying notes.

This has been amping and amping and it has suffocatingly intense throw - it's all rotten floral, super-heady lilac and sickly sweet cloying tonka (which is almost nutty-rancid as well as possessing overtones of grossly fake vanilla and fake butter) with some sour green also sort of rotten galbanum and only faint wisps of the brutalized, once so lovely and distinct ho wood and smoky vanilla. A revolting and truly nauseating blend on my skin. Sink time. Oh thank god it washes off reasonably easily.

:ack: & :cry2:

An evil morpher.

Meh.

In the bottle I smell a lot of buttery sweetness. Like Underpants revved up kind of. When it's wet, it's like it goes on one scent and splits into the notes- I can pick up wafts of different things..the lilac, the wood, and sweetness somewhere at the very bottom. It's like it doesn't want to blend- I literally smell distinct top, middle, and bottom notes. It's cloying to my nose, and kind of gives me a headache. When it has completely dried, it smells sort of like Glowing Vulva's drydown did on me- lots of wood with some sweetness. I can't see myself ever wearing this. Swaps it goes.

This is so much like The Antikythera Mechanism (one of my favorites) with added lilac! Lovely--the wood does smell a bit medicinal at first but I've found that ages out fast in blends like this. The tonka and lilac are sweet and gorgeous. This is smooth and has great throw, too.

But will I buy a bottle that says PENIS on it? Heheh.

Sadness. I wanted to like this so much. When I put it on, I can really smell the smoky sweetness of the vanilla but the lilac is overpowering. It's one of those weird scents where I don't like it, but I can't stop sniffing it. If this had been just the smoky vanilla with a lot less lilac, it would have been fantastic!

Imp: Fascinating - the tonka and vanilla and what I'm guessing is the ho wood, something darker underlying the warmth of those first two. Can't stop sniffing!

Wet: Oh, there's the soapy waxy familiar lilac. *huff huff huff* And almost a spicy feel, as it dries down.

Dry: Delicious warm mellow skin scent. Definitely hanging onto the decant to test again and see if it's bottle-worthy.

Edited by Nomie

In bottle: Wow, that’s a lot of smoky vanilla. The wood and lilac make an intriguing combination. Do not try this if you dislike galbanum. The elements are all so assertive here, I’m not so sure if they’ll get along. Wet: I’m still not sure if they get along, but I’m fascinated. It’s very late spring garden. The foody and the outdoorsy bits make a sort of jagged effect as they fight for dominance. It’s weirdly feminine for something with penis in the title. Dry: This is lovely if a touch opowdery on the dry down. The lilac and vanilla make friends and twine together attractively. It’s very feminine and delicate, but quite pleasing.

This would have been so gorgeous if it wasn't for that blasted lilac. I mean, it's not like lilacs smell so vile in general; I actually enjoy them in the garden around Easter but I'd rather not smell them on me. I can tell the rest of the notes in this are so thick and sensual, but my skin amps the lilac and just makes it smell...wrong. Incongruous. If only there was no lilac in this it would have been a winner for me.

Edited by Invidiana

On the skin: At first I get.. lilac and something woodsy. There is also something slightly sour yet that is making me feel kinda sick. I was hoping for a bit more vanilla.

I really can't wear this one.

A pretty, slightly (but not offensively) powdery, lilac-vanilla-tonka confection. It's delicate and ultra-feminine, and the ho wood gives it a little bit of complexity. I really enjoyed wearing it, but it's not quite me, particularly since the drydown went a tiny bit more baby-powdery than I can stand. I'm an especially bad stickler for that, though, and it's lovely in every other way (I almost kept it anyway because it was so pleasant!). I'm sure many others will adore this.

Edited by LadyMedb

Wet, it was a very creamy lilac, with the ho wood right behind it. Now that it's dried down some, it's more powdery, and the lilac has all but disappeared. I liked the wet lilac-y stage... not sure if I'll keep it if it stays powdery.

Absolutely gorgeous scent. Very creamy lilac with a bit of dryness supporting it. I like a good, robust yet sweet floral and this fits the bill in all ways. Lovin' it!

Wow, this is the weirdest scent I've ever tried! Wet it's like London's little sister, all rose with a strong splash of sweetness. After about 15 mins. it turns to butterscotch, and after another 10 mins. it turns into a creamy apple. Love it, but man, it's sure different than anything I've smelled before.

I got this decant thinking that it was possibly the male counterpart to Glowing Vulva and for me it most certainly seems to be! It's absolutely gorgeous on my skin! The lilac is very pronounced on the initial application and it's way more beautiful than I'd expected. It's a fresh petal-y floral and not cloying so I don't mind it at all. I'm thankful that it was the floral of choice for this blend. Eventually the ho wood comes out to mingle with the lilac and takes the lead role. I end up with a rich vanilla and ho wood blend that is ever so slightly touched by a whispery breath of lilac. I'm rockin' this scent!

I forgot to say that this doesn't smell masculine on me at all. Nothing cologne-y or astringent.

Edited by HappyLoveJoy

In the Bottle: Pink and fleshy, with a bit of bubblegum sugar

Wet on Skin: Pink and fleshy (seriously… it gave this impression the first time I sniffed it in the bottle, even though I hadn't looked to see which bottle I was holding), a bit sweet (in the sugary sense)

While Drying: A brief phase of true-to-life lilacs, but they soon disappear into the rest of the scent.

After a Little While: This reminds me of the spicy undertones of Raven Moon (smoky vanilla is the only listed common note between the two), but with a softer feel on top of it all. Initial throw is significant, but it doesn't last. Skin scent stays strong for a couple of hours.

Later: ~3 hours after application, I can still smell this if I stick my nose close to my arms, but there is no throw left to speak of.

Final Thoughts: I like this one, but I'm not sure if I need a bottle. I think I'll need to give it another full-day test or two to see if I can get a better feel for its mood, and see if there is any change in its lasting power.

Penis Admiration earns a 4/5 on my skin.

sniffing the imp it smells caramelly, buttery and unwashed skin. Not what I expected. This changes completely once it's on. I'm enveloped with a beautiful edible smelling lilac, vanilla warmness. To me it smells like freshly crushed lilacs warming in the sun. There is a slight green-ness to this scent that makes it feel very light and fresh. It never gets cloyingly sweet or too foody with the vanilla because of this. Penis Admiration feels like it is perfect for spring/summer use. Unfortunately I don't smell very much wood. The llilac is a real loud talker in this blend and maintains her volume through the dry down. I still love this blend though and I hope I can see some other elements of Penis Admiration shine with a little aging. :D

In the vial, it smells delicious, like a woodsy vanilla spice. Dry... it smells like buttered popcorn and skin musk. Yup. Interesting, but definitely not for me!

Imp: Oh my. I'm not sure what to think, it's sickeningly sweet vanilla and its buttery and smells naughty. There's LILAC in this? You've got to be kidding, I don't smell anything floral at all. But yay, I like lilac, so we'll keep watch for it.

Wet: Hmm, if this stays this way, its not a keeper. All buttery popcorn and sweeeeeet almost milky-sour vanilla. If you look hard enough, lilac does seem to be back there somewhere.

Dry: Yeah, the lilac comes out but that butter note never leaves. The wood note is there, but only if you really look for it and sniff close to the skin. It's actually a rather spicy lilac. Spicy lilac dipped in butter. It's got a salty feel more than a sweet feel.

This isn't bad, but it's weird and not necessarily something I want to smell like. I was sure this one was going to be a winner based on the notes, too.