Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Oolong tea, lilac, sheer musk, crushed ginger, wisteria, delphinium, and lavender.

A very sweet floral, initially super soapy (almost like shampoo), and then just sweet floral with something that's reading like a bland hard candy that has been stuck at the bottom of a purse too long and picked up the generic perfume of tissues, make up and what not. I think that's how the oolong is reading on me- lozenge. I guess its all sugary lilac now, but until reading the notes I'd have said "generic floral" it doesn't smell like a real flower to me.

I love oolong tea and was excited about this one, but nope. I need to find someone else to try this one, because I'm really curious how it was supposed to smell... my skin chemistry is just finicky.

Still waiting for my Lupers 2011 to arrive, so I'm pulling out some older ones to review...

Sniff: very faint floral, a hint of green

Wet: mostly lilac, slightly sharp (maybe that's the ginger?). very pretty and bright, though I can't really detect the tea note.

Dry: the lilac mellows out, now I'm getting more musk and tea, blended with soft florals. Luckily, this hasn't become too soapy. a light, fresh scent.

Needlework

On: Wow. This smells like a sour (meaning, heavy on the lemon) tea to me with lots of flowers. I'm getting something that reminds me a bit of anise, but only faintly in the background.

1 hour in: Very faint. Powdery, with the slightly sweet citrus scent.

3 hours in: The lilac and lavender are coming forward more now. Still powdery and sweet.

6 hours in: Powdery and floral.

Overall: This is really pretty once it dries, almost like a really decadent scented dusting powder.

Origin: bought on the forum

Initial Thoughts: I'd love to know why I didn't try this one the first time around, as I am a nut for wisteria and there are no immediate deal-breaking notes here.

In the Bottle: A sweet crush of flowers with a spicy background.

Wet: Ah, my beloved wisteria is blooming nicely, along with the lilac and a dash of tea.

Drydown: The musk comes out as it always does on me, but because it's a sheer musk it blends nicely with the rest of the notes rather than overwhelming them. It's a bouquet of sunwarmed spring flowers on my skin.

Verdict: So glad I found a bottle!

In the bottle, Needlework was a slightly sweet, fresh bouquet of blue florals. However on my skin, what I'm guessing is the lilac overpowers everything else, and the fresh sharpness of the oolong and ginger vanish. The scent oddly reminds me of an asian spice, turmeric maybe? very dry and not what I was hoping for.

I have layered Needlework with O to get some of the sweetness back, and while it is more pleasant, Needlework just isn't for me.

ITI: It's a bit of a soapy and astringent floral scent. I can make out the wisteria and delphinium with a mid note of oolong tea, but everything else is smothered by the floral top notes.

Wet: It's much more tame when applied to my skin. The lavender and oolong become dominant while the other florals take a back seat for now. There is a little bit of sheer, skin musk thrown into the mix as well.

Dry: It's musky and soft - lavender, lilac, fresh tea leaves and musk. I like this significantly more when dried.

In the bottle: I'm getting what could be described as a tart floral scent. It reminds me of a lemon, except floral instead of citrusy.

Wet on skin: Still the tart floral, though I can pick out the oolong tea and a hint of ginger in there. And maybe the lavender. I have no idea what delphinium smells like, and I don't think I could pick out wisteria, tough, so I could be missing those.

Dried down: Still pretty similar, but another note is coming through, a little sweeter, and almost minty, like dried toothpaste, or those pillow mints. I don't know what it is. During the wet stages, the scent was nice, but I was kind of hoping something would sweeten it up. This does that, but I'm not sure it's the right note for it (granted, I don't know what note it is). I think I'm getting a little too used to sweet scents - vanillas, honeys, and sugars - and I'm starting to want them everywhere. I probably shouldn't be wishing for that. This isn't bad, but I'm kind of wishing that sweet note wasn't around, though.

Throw: Not much of one, and what I do get is powdery sweet with a hint of something less tart - either the tea or lavender.

Verdict: *** 1/* I wanted to love this so much, but I didn't. I'll probably give it another try before relegating it to the swap pile, but on this run, it just didn't work out for me. It's sad, because I keep getting drawn to gingery scents, and while I like the ginger, there tends to be another note that keeps putting me off in those. Oh well.

Edited by Magycmyste

i got a sniffie of this in a swap, yay. it starts off as nose-tingling lilac tea and ginger. it's very springlike and reminds me of fresh flowers in a garden drenched in spring rain. some more florals come through, i think probably the wisteria and delphinium as they are bright and springlike. i do not seem to get much musk or lavender. after being on my skin about 20 minutes, i think the musk comes through, grounding the scent a bit more. this is a nice bright floral for spring, for those who like that kind of scent.

Edited by theseagrows