Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Milk Chocolate and Matcha Green Tea Ganache Truffle

Milk chocolate and matcha green tea ganache truffle.

I love green tea, both the Lab's and as a cup of tea. I'm not familiar with matcha green tea, but I'm always up for trying something new.
This starts off with a lot of the tea and not much chocolate. The tea is a bit sharper than the green tea I'm familiar with (such as in Shanghai or Embalming Fluid) - its stronger and a bit leafy smelling. As it dries, the tea mellows out and becomes a bit citrus-y. Its very nice so far and I'm hoping that once this settles, I'll get more chocolate with the green tea.

In the bottle, this is about as weird as it sounds -- fake chocolate (the usual BPAL cocoa note) with something really, really odd going on underneath it.

On the skin, it gets interesting and more identifiable. It's chocolate, with a brief hint of tea (REAL tea, like a cup of black tea, not just a bergamot note -- oh, how I wish Beth could just bottle that quick whiff!) that turns into a more citrusy, lemony note.

Drying down, it's a lemony fudge, a citrusy scent with a warm grounding of chocolate underneath. It totally shouldn't work, but it totally does.

Green tea and lemon on my skin. The chocolate note is very subtle on my skin in this blend. I do pick up the chocolate a little easier as it begins to dry more, but remains mostly a citrus green tea scent on me.

When I did a spot-test of this last night, it was all sharp lemony green tea, with no chocolate or matcha smell to speak of. I think I'm going to toss it into a dark drawer for a month or two and see what comes out afterward. I adore matcha (it has a memorable scent that's different from regular steeped green tea) and really wanted this to have that specific smell. We'll see how it is with a little aging.

Note: had to look up what Ganache was. Had no clue.

In decant: amazing milk chocolate note

Wet: Whoa, it’s all tea now! There’s a creamy undertone, but it’s mainly tea.

Drydown: Just the tea scent. It’s a good tea note, but I already have a couple of scents with a decent tea note. If the chocolate isn’t coming out on this one, it’s not worth my paying for a bottle.

When I first put it on it smelled as promised...chocolate and green tea. It was really nice at first, then when I dried the green tea turned to soap (as green tea does on my skin). Fortunately it stays green tea and chocolate on my husband. Very yummy!

In the vial this smelled interesting, chocolate and a powdery green tea scent, as you'd expect. As soon as I applied it to my skin, though, that hated Froot-Loops-and-Pledge lemony-death note reared its ugly head, just as it did in Crib Girls a few months ago. I smelled no chocolate and no green tea whatsoever, just screaming LEMON. And it gave me a headache. :(

Once again, no chocolate from this blend (this is becoming a theme with the chocolate scents this year). Starts off as tea, turns almost into something citrus scented and then after a bit turns dusty. During the citrus stage it almost smelled like fruit loops to my nose. Very strange.

Soft throw and decent staying power. I think I'll pass on this one.

Gosh, doesn't that sound just like something straight from LA Burdick? Too bad it didn't work on my skin at all. Smelled like drugstore perfume and nearly knocked me down with the ozone. It also went away in ten minutes, which was really nice!

Mostly lemon-y tea, with the chocolate being disappointingly faint. While I can distinctly smell the matcha in the bottle, it turns into a more generic tea note on my skin, maybe because of how the lemon amps. I'm also getting the artificial Pledge vibe that a few other reviewers have gotten.

Edited by coraline

Green tea pocky! For real. Like that odd green mousse with a hint of dry biscuit. There's also definitely a spike of lemon.

The chocolate is almost not there. What is there is creamy and liquidy. Like a faint touch of chocolate syrup.

Very interesting scent experience, but this one isn't particularly wearable for me.

Take Severin, lose the leather, and add milk chocolate. If you love and miss Severin and can wear a bit of chocolate you might like this.

When I sniff my skin up close it's the lemony tea note from Severin only sweeter. The background is sweet and creamy chocolate, not too strong. I get more chocolate in the throw than sniffing close up. The longer I wear it the more it smells like lemon hard candy. The chocolate becomes less pronounced and more of a generic sweet base. I was unsure about this Truffle but my curiosity won out, and I'm so glad it did.

Like Severin, this seems to be fading pretty quickly on me. I love it on my skin but this might be one for the locket if I want the scent to last. It's also sweeter on my skin than in the bottle.

Milk Chocolate and Matcha Green Tea Ganache Truffle – My favorite beverage at Starbucks is their soy green tea lattes, made with a sweetened matcha powder. I was really, really hoping this scent would be strong on the bitter, grassy matcha green tea and weak on the chocolate, since I don’t tend to wear chocolate well. Sadly, this smells absolutely nothing like matcha green tea. It’s not remotely bitter, grassy, or earthy, as the matcha should be. The green tea note totally turns into a bright, sweet lemon Pledge scent, and the chocolate, as it often does, turns into something dank and dusty. Oh well, at least lemon Pledge and dust go together. But it’s sure not what I was hoping for, definitely not what I expected, and if someone gave me a truffle that smelled like this, I’d be worried it would ooze dust bunnies rather than ganache. Edited by edenssixthday

Definitely my favorite of the chocolate scents this year. At first, it has the very lemony/fruit loops smell (which oddly, I like) that lasts about 10 minutes. It then fades into a very very slight chocolate scent that is heavy on the matcha powder. I freaking love matcha green tea so this is perfect. Bottle, please.

Never having had matcha green tea before, I wasn't sure what to expect with this. When wet, there seemed to be something sour (like sour cream, perhaps) about the chocolate. Not what I wanted to smell, of course. As it dried down, that sour tang slowly disappeared, but it's not a likable start. The tea is different from other green tea scents such as Dorian; instead it's kind of a green mint tea, but different. In the dry-down, the tea came to the foreground, and the chocolate receded. Once it dries down, this could be a good spring scent. Not too sweet, and the chocolate is more like cocoa powder in the end.

Edited by thekittenkat

This isn't a very chocolatey truffle. In the bottle, I can smell a hint of dark chocolate, but there's no chocolate note to be found once this is on my skin. This is a lemony green tea (not as sharp or lemony as Shanghai, though, and it's sweeter than both Shanghai and Embalming Fluid). It's very refreshing and summery smelling <3. I keep thinking that I smell a hint of soft, green grass somewhere in here. It's a very green scent. As this dries down, it smells like lemon-lime lifesavers candies & a hint of something like green grass - very smooth, sweet citrus.

I love how green and summery this smells (as we've gotten a ton of snow the past couple days). I wish that it lasted longer, though. It has pretty good throw while it sticks around, but it doesn't even last a full hour on my skin. All in all, this is a pleasant, smooth, sweet fragrance. I'll definitely keep my decant, and think about getting a bottle for slathering...

Yuuuuuummm!

As truffles go, I can find almost no chocolate in this. But hey, I'm not mad. This is all green all the time. The green tea definitely has a citrus quality to it, a slightly sour sharpness. In totally a good way. This is a fully organic clean scent. Not so much a truffle, as I feel like I am sitting in a tea garden practicing deep breathing while the sun warms the tea leaves.

I think this will be a perfect summer scent, and unless it goes horribly wrong at some point on my skin, I will definitely be needing more.

In bottle: I’m loving the green tea in this, which is dominant. The chocolate and hint of citrus make a good support for the tea scent. Wet: the tea stays dominant. It grows more citrus on my skin. The chocolate is nearly gone. Dry: This really softens fast into a well-balanced chocolate tea combo. I rather wish it was longer lasting and stronger.

WOOHOO!!! FINALLY a chocolate I can wear!!! OK, not really, because it only retains a hint of chocolate on application for about 60 seconds. But what happens next is remarkable! It turns all lime on me and I love lime. Others, I see, are getting lemon. No cigar- it's all lime, all the time. Unfortunately, it is fading fast, but it is really nice while it lasted.

It smells like lemony green tea. I don't get any chocolate.

Edited by BuxomM

This scent didn't really carry the earthy quality of Matcha I was kind of hoping for, that rich almost-bitterness just isn't there. What IS here, on the other hand, is LEMON!

I hoped figured it would burn off after a little while as it dried down, but it keeps that lemony-ness the whole way through. The chocolate does try to come back out a bit on the drydown, but the lemon is overwhelming the green tea. It's like a lemon truffle rather than a green tea truffle, but it's still delicious. I think I'll tuck it away and hope the lemon fades a bit with age and lets the green tea come out to play a bit more.

I am so glad I am not the only one who sniffed this and immediately went "FRUIT LOOPS!!" Because that is what I am getting, a very strange zesty citrusy tea with just the tiniest hint of chocolate in the background, like maybe the Fruit Loops have a few Cocoa Puffs hiding amongst them.

Of course, this isn't a bad thing for me, as I actually love this scent and keep huffing my wrists. It's got a fairly good throw on me.

:heart: :heart: :heart: this!!! This smells like Moonalisa Bongo Poppycake meets Lime! It also smells like Fruit Loops. :yum: It's a soft sweet lemon and lime, who stole the chocolate? Oh well I don't care cause I love it and I've never tried Matcha Green Tea. Edited by beachbabealways

Green tea and lemon seem to be all that is coming out on my skin; the chocolate seems pretty much nonexistent. Even though the throw on this blend is remarkable, I don't think I'm going to need a bottle.

Edited by musichappens