Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
abejita

Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle

Dark chocolate and key lime truffle.

In the bottle: Exactly how it sounds. Decadent but refreshing. Like a slice of dark chocolate flourless cake garnished with tart lime slices.

Immediately after application: Oh. Um, a slightly chemical smell. Weird. Acid from the lime? I only get it if I sniff my wrist directly. From further away, it smells great.

Warming up: Weird smell gone, now it's a yummy blend of chocolate and zesty lime.

Fading: The lime is softening and leaving me with bittersweet chocolate and a kick of lime. Yummy. I think it was the pungency of the lime causing the weird formaldehyde smell at first.

Faded: I was going to complain about how fast it faded but it just got faint. The chocolate and lime melded into a subtle but steady sweet/tart scent that is lasting well, despite what I thought was happening. BPAL never fails to surprise me with what it can do.

Overall: Kind of icky at first honestly. The lime smelled positively acidic and almost chemical laid on top of a dark, not-sweet chocolate. After an hour-ish, the notes blended into something delicious, more akin to what I expected. The chocolate picked up a smoky-sweetness and the lime mellowed, adding a nice tartness.

I agree, no false advertising here! Lime and chocolate, which was what I was hoping for. They blend well, and I enjoyed it, and I think it's a lovely foody-in-disguise type scent. It's like the lime tricks my nose into not associating the sweetness with a candy bar, which is perfect. I might have to try to find more of this.

ETA: I do agree it fades quickly though. It's a morning-only type scent.

Edited by Pika

in bottle: Key lime with a dark, sweet undertone. Less than average throw.

wet: Lime becomes stronger, sharper, juicier, with a slight plastic edge. Strongish throw which quickly backs off.

drydown: Essentially the same. The chocolate very slowly comes to the front as the lime fades.

verdict: A pleasant light, fruity scent, but not worth seeking out more.

Straightforward, just what it says on the label. Also note that this dark chocolate note definitely has a creamier, saltier truffle "feel" to it, more like whipped chocolate than a straightforward chocolate bar. The key lime note is tart and sweet at the same time, very accurate.

This scent can get a little faint. I wish I would have slathered more on. And despite how delicious I smell... I'm not actually craving chocolate, which is actually a plus. Yes, this is a foodie, but I would almost call this accessible to people who don't like foodies as well.

In the IMP it smells like a sugary sweet lime flavoured ice lolly. On me the chocloate comes through strongly with hints of lime. . As it dries the chocolate is more pronounced with hints of leafy green mint. After awhile it smells like a clean powdery lime skittle. It's actually very refreshing :yum:

In the bottle this smells like caramel chocolates wrapped around a gummy lime candy. Or pixie stix, if there were such a thing as lime pixie stix. I'm getting a very deep, vibrant GREEN! vibe from this.

Wet on my skin I get sticky, sour lime candy.

On dry down the chocolate comes back into the mix but now it's more powdery, like the cocoa powder coating on a truffle. About fifteen minutes in it went rather plasticy on me but it seems to have recovered though it has lost all but a tinge of the lime now. The jury is still out on this one. I ended up buying a full bottle before my imp arrived so I'm trying really hard to like it.

Deep and potent in the bottle, smells like some chocolate cocktail, but my skin eats it up til it’s just sour lime powder. Not for me I guess. Reminds me of Thunder and Blazes, of all things.

The ultimate Jekyll and Hyde scent! :wacko: Freshly applied, it is the best damn thing I ever smelled in my life, juicy fresh key-lime goodness and rich dark chocolate, absolutely fabulous, but...within 2 minutes, it's turned into the scent of a dirty diaper, kind of...warm plastic and ass. So I tried it in my locket, and this was a big win - for a good 3 hours, I got all the fabulousness of keylime and chocolate, and the throw was amazing, so I kept getting lovely wafts of it - hands down the Ultimate Holy Grail of locket scents I've ever encountered. Until, out of nowhere....the PLASTIC-WRAPPED ANUS RETURNS! :cry2: It isn't so violently foul in the locket, thank god, as the throw's died down by now, but it's certainly unpleasant.

I don't care though, those 3 hours of amazingness are totally worth it! :D It's a scent I'll just have to wear with care - if I wear it out in summer, I'll have to make a decant and a fresh locket cloth to bring with me, so I can immediately bin and replace when it does the personality switch! :nono: ...and for all this, if I come across a backup bottle, I will certainly buy it - for those 3 hours of indescribable fabulousness, I can totally tolerate its wayward personality!

This has been on Wishlist for FOREVER..finally found a bottle.

Obviously it's Aged at least 6 years.

Bottle: Bright key lime squirt & fresh Bliss (mild, rounded chocolate)

Wet on skin: Key Lime yummy with a dark sour decay underneath. (Hey...what is rotting next to my lovely Key Lime?)

Dry Down: Sweet Lime with a chocolate background. The sourness is gone.

Final Thoughts: Glad I found this little guy. I think I will return to it often, when I want my mind blown.

Edited by Fiam