Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thekittenkat

Inganok Jewelers

INGANOK JEWELERS
Arkham, MA
Are you looking for the perfect ring to express your everlasting love? How about an amulet representing your sweetheart's devotion to Zo-Kalar, Hargag Ryonis, Tamash, or Nyarlathotep? Inganok Jewelers carries a vast selection of onyx jewelry, mined in Inganok, designed by the natives of Y'Pawfrm e'din Leng, and crafted by the skilled artisans of Celephaïs! Each piece is as unique as your last psychotic break!

Gleaming stone and silver.

The scent notes say it all: silvery stone. I am reminded a little bit of Silver Phoenix, Shanghai Tunnel, and The Ghosts of the Arroyo Seco Bridge, and yet none of those are really anything near this. It's a unique blend, indeed, that I like but would only be trotted out for special occasions.

The bottle has picture of a gorgeous silver ring with a glowing ethereal blood red stone in the middle. That is exactly what this smells like. This definitely has a silver metal note in it...but as with black opal that has a flash of fire to it..this has a soft but fierce flash of redness to it that is sudden, quick, and that dims. It is something that I would definitely wear as Garnet is my birthstone and silver is one of my favorite metals. This is definitely a Capricorn style scent. I love it!

Inganok Jewelers - I would definitely love to have the ring that's on the label. So pretty! So crazy that Beth can capture the scent of stone and silver -- because that's exactly what this smells like! The stone note reminds me a lot of the stone note in Shanghai Tunnel -- earthy, but clean. The silver is bright and definitely gleams! The overall scent has a slightly powdery quality about it. When I first applied it, I only put on the tiniest drop, but the scent was so strong that I had a negative visceral response to it. After about five minutes, I just couldn't stand it, so I tried to wash it off. It wouldn't wash off, and the throw seemed even stronger after washing! About an hour later, it's settled down into something I like -- very pretty, and when I catch a waft of it, I like it better than the scent that I smell directly on my skin. It's an interesting scent, but when I want something silvery, I'll likely grab my Silver Phoenix, so I won't be keeping this one.

GORGEOUS label (sadly, as I am to discover, the only gorgeous aspect of this blend). Slightly floral, slightly fruity, vaguely aquatic, and then a sort of crushed stone note, more dusty than gleaming. I'm not really getting a metal note, certainly not my beloved chrome.

Much more stone, and more dusty/powdery as a result. I strongly suspect a wood of some sort, maybe sandalwood? Definitely a dry, pale wood. It's sharper on my skin as well, and a little soapy in a scented dryer sheet sort of way. Definitely some sort of florals here, but I can't pick them out. Unfortunately I'm strongly suspecting a bit of Dragon's Blood. I get a spicy note that I think is meant to convey metal (the way iron smells like nutmeg to me), maybe mace? It's a little peppery.

This oil doesn't dry. Which is ironic, because it's a very 'dry' scent; harshly dry wood dominates at this point - what sort, I'm not sure, other than it's white in feel and a little camphoric. Quite possibly a blend of woods; I think there MUST be cedar in this. I'm less sure about the DB at this stage. It's also a bit less sweet now, but I still suspect a fruit - maybe a berry note, maybe raspberry? But very faint. Still that dry-dusty-peppery spice, but not one that feels warm - despite all the dryness, this blend avoids warmth rather amazingly.

DRY, dusty, spicy woods (cedar, and maybe sandalwood?) with a hint of raspberry and some type of pepper or mace, and a dash of dragon's blood for faint soapy-powder. A massive disappointment; this is dull, not at all gleaming, not at all metallic, and not at all good on my skin. Good throw and of course, excessive longevity.

:cry2:

In bottle: It is gentler than expected and full of eastern incense. I’m really liking the stone note here, and while the silver is not really silver, it’s close. Wet: Richer on my skin. The stone and silver now overwhelm the incense, which is still present, but more delicate. It’s a gentle, androgynous scent, very pleasant. Dry: The strong nag champa element reasserts, and it grows less gentle. This is fine with me as I’m a real nag champa fan. The silver, of which this seems to be a part along with some other temple, lasts fairly well, though that cold stone note burns away. I’m well pleased as I’ve not seen a nag champa cologne this excellent, ever.

This is one of the Lupercalia blends I'm most excited about.

In the bottle: Incense with a flash of metal.

On me: More incense gives way to the lab's stone note (which I love). I don't get much metal while its wet. I like this so far... I haven't smelled anything like it before.

After awhile: This stays pretty consistent. A good balance of stone and incense. I get more incense in the throw than when I am sniffing my wrist.

Verdict? A keeper. Not sure how often I will wear it, but this is an intriguing blend.

This definitely smells metallic. Very faint on my skin, not a lot of throw. A touch musty. Not something I'd ever wear regularly.

I received a testable sniffie of this in a recent off-forum purchase.

In the imp: Bright laundry/dryer sheet smell. It's super clean, but almost sticks to the back of your throat. Not sure about this...

Wet: The scent rounds out a bit, but it still screams LAUNDRY at me, with a bit of masculine muscle. Imagine Schwarzenegger doing your laundry for you.

Drydown: Some of the metal notes are starting to come out, sort of tangy and dry

Dry: Underneath the metal and silver, I'm picking up hints of some kind of flower...it's a very masculine flower, not soapy at all. Slightly less tangy now.

Overall thoughts: I don't have anything else in my collection to compare this too. It's a clean bright scent, not fruity, pretty gender-neutral (I tend toward girly scents). Medium throw. It's definitely clean white/silver, but too much like dryer sheets for me to keep. 3/5

I got this as a free tester, and I'm not really familiar with any of BPAL's stone or metal blends/notes, so I'm having trouble putting my observations into words. On me it's powdery and surprisingly sweet, almost cloying, though not in a way that's obviously fruity or floral or anything else I can place. It does have that clean laundry-like feel to it, but it's much heavier than most clean scents. There's something cologney/masculine about it, but again, in an oddly over-sweet way.

I'm not really a fan of how this smells, and it doesn't particularly suggest stone or metal to me (though I guess I'd be hard-pressed to say how stone or metal does smell-- I would at least expect something ozone-like for the metal and something earthy for the stone, anyway). But it's intriguing me, just because I've never smelled anything like it before and I can't even begin to place the notes. The powdery-sweetness is similar to what musk usually does on my skin, but beyond that I'm stumped.

Edited by kerikeri

I'm definitely getting a mineral note in this, and it makes me uneasy. Going to apply this light. On my skin, it's that same stoney mineraly metal note that's a bit powdery. We'll see how this goes. Very true stone/metal scent, not really for me, though.

Edited by Venneh

Precious, softly glowing metals and ancient stone--this is the scent of the British Museum. I wouldn't even know where to start to tally all the hours I spent there (during the rainiest spring London has seen for 200 years, lucky me!). It reminds me especially of the Roman Britain room, with the great big marble slabs of Gaius Julius Alpinus Classicianus' tomb in front of me, and the gleaming gold from the Mildenhall treasure behind me.

This is a sweet, dry sort of smell, not powdery at all (it seems that anything that can go to powder, like amber, turns straight into baby powder on me) to my very great relief. It seems cool and warm at the same time, if that makes any sense at all. This perfume is a lot closer to what I'd hoped to get a from U. I may need a bottle just so I can always go back to my favourite museum.

The scent in the decant, well, I can only describe it as the smell of this middle eastern desert, palette cleanser type thing called paan (a kind of wrap made from a betel leaf with its contents being a combination of fruit preserves, dried coconut flakes, candied spices and herbs such as fennel, and a whole lot of different syrups made from saffron, dates, honey and brown palm sugar).

Now sweet paan is one of those things you love or hate. Personally I used to really like it, but now I can't stomach it. Something about the flavor is just off and it ROTS your teeth. I also associate the scent to the dirtier places of Pakistan and bad Pakistani food restaurants. I don't know why (and I don't mean to offend anyone either)! Well. I digress! This smells like sweet paan in the imp. Its a really clear smell though, not muddled at all, but I can't say I like it.

As it dries the sweet paan scent fades a bit and instead I start smelling... hmm. Well. You know that smell of really glossy paper? Like in new text books? It gets up your nose and is a combination of paper and metal? That is what is smells like in combination with sweet paan.

It pretty much stays that scent too.

So disappointed. I thought I would love this because I love the rock/mineral note in Black Opal and the metallic-ness of Silver Phoenix, but no. This just doesn't do it for me :/

ok, now i get what the other reviewers are saying...i was so intrigued by this scent, that i just really wanted to like it...but it is really...disturbing, almost. my first thought when i sniffed it from the bottle was "old lady". but the more i smelled it, it doesn't smell old so much as ancient...the smell is really eerie....metallic incense...not completely unpleasant, actually kind of fascinating, but rather spooky...on my skin it's pretty much the same: an eerie, ancient scent, like metal that's been dug up out of something wet, and has maybe rusted or oxidized. i have to say i'm drawn to it and repulsed at the same time. there's a little bit of a funky smell, like feet, in there too. don't know what that could be, but it'll probably keep me from wearing this very regularly. still - this scent is evocative and chilling, and i can appreciate that about it.

In bottle/imp: Cool and damp vetiver and metal with a hint of leather.

Immediately on skin: This smells damp, like an underground stone tunnel. It has something a bit smokey, almost like vetiver or leather. It smells cold and almost mildew-y, and quite “dirty,” without an actual dirt note.

After a little while: This smells pretty much the same as it did at first, like a damp stone cave with a hint of something lightly smoky and warm, like vetiver or leather. It’s very dark and almost humid smelling.

Overall Impressions: I don’t love the lab’s metal notes, but I enjoy them. Unfortunately I don’t get them here at all. This smells like damp stone with something smoky peeking through. This is a dark stone tunnel scent, rather sinister and creepy.

Inganok Jewelers reminds me of El Dorado and Leipreachan at first (has that similar perfumey, hard, gold note), but it's not as good as either of those blends were on me. Jewelers is more earthy than metallic on my skin (like 70% earthy, 30% metallic, lol). It almost smells like a gritty, dry, brown patchouli plus a bit of clean, musky metal note. At points I thought that it smelled a lot like an earthy, slightly smoky vetiver as well. The drydown is rather sour and earthy on me. I don't get the impression of gleaming stone and silver at all...

Mostly this is a sour, earthy smell on me. I have metal & earth blends that I like *a lot* more than this one.

Edited by Little Bird

Hooray, here are my Lupercalia decants! Even in the bottle, this smells promising. Stone, incense. Slight hint of metal. Very deep. Patchouli?

On wet - oh god, this is beautiful. It smells like a less woody version of one of my favourite GCs, Fenris Wolf. Dusty stone, patchouli, musk, a hint of metal. Gorgeous. I'm in love already.

On dry - possibly not worth the bottle purchase because this stays so close to the skin. I don't need my perfumes to have a mile worth of throw, but this is a bit disappointing. When I press my nose to the skin it smells great, but one inch away and there's nothing, even though I slathered. Woe.

I am not sure what happened. Everyone else got gorgeous, stunning or lovely. I didn't even get a rock this time. I just got vomit.

This is by far one of the most vile scents I have had on. It is plastic that has been in a garbage dump. Excuse me, I must get this off NOW.

Okay... so I totally got some leather out of this. And by some, I mean quite a goodly amount. It's got some dry patchouli/woods thing going on, but underneath is what I tend to associate with the black leather from DeSade, an almost harsh chemical overlay to it.

This, to me, smells very much like walking into a Wilson's Leather store.

Skin chemistry for the lose.

This is a very interesting blend. When first applied, all that I could smell was some sort of metallic stone. Once it started to dry down, it became very musty and sweet. Finally, it developed into a faint, but sweet mineral-type scent. I was hoping this would be a bit like Silver Phoenix on me, but sadly it's not. :cry2:

I love this scent. It DOES smell like the British Museum to me too, now that ChildofTime pointed that out. I like the juxtaposition of the warm incense notes with the cold stone notes.

Huh. I get flowers growing in compost with the slightest tinge of manure. Seriously. Gardenias with a hint of manure underneath. Weird.

On the skin: Huh, very faint. I almost can't smell anything.... Slight floral with something almost metallic? Very hard to tell because I really can't smell a thing.

In the bottle: Had to go back to the bottle to make sure there is something to smell... but even in the bottle I can't smell much. It is kinda like trying to smell a glass of water.

I didn't end up in the village jewelry store. I ended up in the village shoe store. With old-fashioned, chrome-plated display fixtures. On those display fixtures: classic Keds! More specifically, I smell the slightly dusty rubber soles of said gym shoes, mixed with the smell of chrome-and-glass display fixture.

Not quite what I'm looking for in a perfume, even as non-traditional as BPAL can get.

Immediately on my skin it's exactly what I'm wanting-- old metal fixings, warm jewels and incense. It reminds me strongly of my favorite bead store/hippie shop from where I grew up. As it dries on my skin though it's straight up warm leather. It's so strongly and obviously leather I'm surprised it's not listed as a note, as I can smell nothing else for most of this blend's wear time! Don't get me wrong, it smells lovely and I got several compliments in my first day wearing it. Eventually it fades way down to a faint Black Opalish smell. Lovely, but I'd only need a second bottle if the initial smell stuck around longer