Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
madame royale

BPAL and pregnancy

There was a brief mention of this on another thread, but thought I'd expand upon it. I'm thinking of gifting 2 people some BPAL, one of whom is definitely pregnant, the other is not yet sure.

Should pregnant people really avoid essentials oils? Which ones? I can't begin to fathom which BPALs might best be avoided.

Any suggestions on how to wear the scents off of your skin and hair (besides a scent locket b/c the one friend does not like to wear jewelry)?

Clary sage should be avoided. :P

Basically, I'd say to write to Beth to double-check all the ingredients in case there's a subtle note of something. :D

That's a very good idea. Beth is a certified aromatherapist after all.

I know from experience that Peppermint oil should be avoided during pregnancy.

RHM

It is my understanding that there is a big difference between ESSENTIAL oils and perfume oils / oil blends. Perhaps Beth will chime in?

I found BPAL when I was 6 months pregnant & honestly never knew EO should be avoided. Definately check. FWIW I had no complications & smelled lovely! She could tuck a cotton ball in the front of her bra with a drop of oil on it (no contact with skin to be extra safe). I like to wear BPAL in my hair--just a drop on the ends.

From Aromatherapy & Massage For Mother and Baby by Allison England:

Oils to avoid when pregnant:

Angelica

Aniseed

Basil

Camphor

Hyssop

Jasmine

Juniper

Lovage

Peppermint

Rosemary

Sage

Savory

Cedarwood

Clary Sage

Clove

Cinnamon

Fennel

Melissa

Myrrh

Marjoram

Origanum

Parsley

Spanish Marjoram

Sweet Marjoram

Tarragon

Thyme

*takes breath*

Now.... this is in the context of aromatherapy. As perfume? It's kind of iffy. You might ask your local aromatherapist (if you have one) and get her opinion.

It might be safest to avoid BPAL blends containing those oils during pregnancy just in case though.

Probably too late to help you, madame royale, but I thought I'd post this in case others had the same question.

In October, Nella told me that the only BPAL they strongly advise prenant women to avoid is Pain, because of the pennyroyal, but it's always a good idea to double-check with a physician/midwife. :P

Just curious, what exactly does pennyroyal do to a pregnant woman?

Once, traditionally used as an abortifacent. Messes about with blood sugar levels in low dosage and is extermely toxic to brain, liver, kidneys and other organs in higher doses.

Iain.

Being PG for the third time myself, I would have to agree with watching the pennyroyal and other, possibly harmful, EO's during pg. It's just best for the mom's peace of mind, if nothing else.

I would like to add when buying scented products for a pg woman, it's best to find out if she has any scent-induced nausea/stomach upset. It's fairly common, I had it at some point with all my pregnancies. Lavender, in large doses will cause me to lose my lunch everytime. Don't know why, but it does.

Also, when pg, it's common for women to develop temporary skin sensitivity and have reactions to things one doesn't usually have reactions to while not pg.

they strongly advise prenant women to avoid Pain

:D That's kinda ironic, eh? :P

No kidding. :D

I would like to add when buying scented products for a pg woman, it's best to find out if she has any scent-induced nausea/stomach upset.  It's fairly common, I had it at some point with all my pregnancies.  Lavender, in large doses will cause me to lose my lunch everytime.  Don't know why, but it does. 

:D

I've also found that pregnancy can affect the sense of smell and skin chemistry, so scents that a woman usually loves might not be as appealing to her while she is pregnant.

:P

I've also found that pregnancy can affect the sense of smell and skin chemistry, so scents that a woman usually loves might not be as appealing to her while she is pregnant.

Oh yes, believe me. I've had some strange experiences with that. Some florals (non-BPAL) with NO rose in them at all have suddenly turned rose on me, LOL! So, that is something to think about, for sure.

Reviving this thread because, although I am not pregnant, I'm planning on chucking the contraception in the very near future. I am an absolute BPAL whore, and in addition to my large collection of oils, I've got many much-anticipated blends on the way. However, in reading about pre-conception dos and don'ts, I've come across several sources that advise against the use of essential oils at all during the first trimester of pregnancy.

Now, disclaimer -- I realize that this is just an internet forum and that ultimately I should consult my physician. And I will! But at this early stage, I'm just interested in hearing your opinions/experiences/lore regarding using essential oils (as perfume) when trying to conceive and during the first trimester.

I'm planning to stay far, far away from my imp of Pain (as advised :P ) and anything else containing Pennyroyal, but I'm wondering if it's worth the risk to use ANY BPAL for those first few months?

It will kill me -- LOL -- as I adore perfume so very much and use it as a mood enhancer, but obviously, the child's healthy development comes first.

Any words of wisdom & experience for a perfume-loving wanna-be first-time mother?

I found BPAL when I was 6 months pregnant & honestly never knew EO should be avoided. Definately check. FWIW I had no complications & smelled lovely! She could tuck a cotton ball in the front of her bra with a drop of oil on it (no contact with skin to be extra safe). I like to wear BPAL in my hair--just a drop on the ends.

By the way, I love these ideas for wearing oils without wearing them on the skin.

:P

Not so much for pregnancy sake, but my mom chided me yesterday for wearing Aeval because of the sage in it, as i'm still nursing my almost 20 month old daughter. Sage dries up your milk. I'd be worried, but for the fact wee bit is a boob leech and I haven't had any problems yet, but www.mothering.com lets you know what EOs are safe and I'd think if you had any fears you could email Beth and ask her personally :P

Thanks for the link, Arafel! :D

There are lots of great resources about essential oils and pregnancy, so I'll definitely have to educate myself a bit.

I guess what I'm wondering is . . . have any of you mothers out there deliberately avoided essential oils (or BPAL or perfume oils generally) during the first trimester specifically? I gather that things are a bit more sensitive and unstable at that early stage, and that's what I'm most worried about. :P