Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Amoraexcena

Tonka Recs wanted!

I searched, browsed, etc... unfortunately came up blank. If there's already a thread to this, please meld this into it! And if there IS a tonka thread, please add it to this useful list to prevent other tonka-lovers like me from cluttering<3

Wikipedia: The tonka bean is the seed of Dipteryx odorata, a legume tree in the neotropics, of the Fabaceae family. The seed is black and wrinkled in appearance, with a smooth brown interior. Its fragrance is reminiscent of vanilla, almonds, cinnamon, and cloves. It had been used as a vanilla substitute, as a perfume, and in tobacco before being banned in some countries. Its use in food is banned in the United States by the Food and Drug Administration. It is featured in some French cuisine, particularly in desserts and stews.

The seed contains the anticoagulant coumarin, which can be lethal in large doses. Many anticoagulant prescription drugs, such as warfarin, are based on coumarin.

The plant has its origin in Northern South America (Guyana, Orinoco region). Main producers today are Venezuela and also Nigeria.

It can be a deathly poison, but alluring and warm and comforting.... love it. I'm planning on trying Perversion and Western Diamondback soon. What do the experts recommend?

Edited by Amoraexcena

Oh, I love tonka! So much better than vanilla. Dee is near the top of my list. Try Sybaris, too, if you can wear violet (I can't). And looking at your list of desired bottles, you might want to throw Against Idleness and Mischief in there as well.

Ah yes.. tonka, lovely sweet smooth tonka..

From the recent Literary Vampire series, I thought Mircalla used tonka nicely. I also think that it's the tonka that gave Lilith vs The Giant Crab its lovely sweet waxiness. And from the Retail Salons - Haloes is a gorgeous tonka - stunning if you like rich wood-y golden notes (Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot).

Hmm.. I just realised those may be difficult to find. So from the GC - you've already mentioned Perversion (Smoky rum and black tobacco with a whisper of steamy leather with a splash of crystalline chardonnay, layered over a sensual, sweet, and deceptively magnetic base of tonka) and I'd definitely agree with you on that one, it's a must-try!

I guess it depends how you like your tonka mixed, but you could try using the advanced search option - use the keyword 'tonka', select just the 'Reviews' sub-forum and then check the button for 'Search entire post' - that should bring up any reviews that mention tonka.

I have an almost-empty bottle of Haloes.... loved it.

*writes notes and scours reviews*

I'm not too picky, tonka+anything... other than pine/mint/overly ozone/aquatickly

I'm fine with violet, I heart Hope&Faith. I'll definitely try Sybaris, Against Idleness and Mischief, and Ashlultum! I hope I can find Mircalla....

Ugh these sound delightful. Any others?

Dee is definitely my favourite tonka scent but there are plenty in the GC that run the gauntlet from masculine to uber feminine. Some recs:

Prurience Ars Amatoria red amber and scorched musk with voluptuous carnation, charred vetiver, sensuous tonka, and orris.

A soft, velvety, sensual scent. Somewhere in the Snake Oil/Snake Charmer/Mme. Moriarty family of scents but definitely the severe oldest sister.

The Great Sword of War Sin and Salvation Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

This one is glorious. A smooth red musk/tonka base brightened by the tea and tobacco and then made gritty by the cocoa. If you don't like it fresh, try it aged. This one just gets better and better.

Nemesis Excolo Cypress, ginger, fig, dried rose, red patchouli, tonka bean and cyclamen.

A drier, more herbal take on tonka. A bit pine-y from the cypress but not overpoweringly so.

Rumplestilzchen Marchen Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

You have to really like smokey smells for this one. The tonka is a smoothing element in a chaotic scent.

Mata Hari Bewitching Brews five roses with soft jasmine, warmed by vanilla, fig, tonka bean and mahogany, spiced with a drop of coffee bean.

Let this one dry down completely. It has a really weird drydown but the end result is very smooth, sultry and sensual.

Lysander Illyria Lilac musk, tonka, wood violet, and urbane lime rind, with a Venus-kissed tangle of myrtle, blackberry leaf, and benzoin.

Haven't tried this one but looking at the note list I want to.

:GoodPost: thanks! Definitely adding The Great Sword of War.... the 5 conflicting herbs in its description scared me off initially, but I'll try it! Thanks<3

:GoodPost: thanks! Definitely adding The Great Sword of War.... the 5 conflicting herbs in its description scared me off initially, but I'll try it! Thanks<3

Oh yes! I forgot this one!! I heartily second this recommendation - definitely grab yourself some.. it's fantastic, however I must agree with paperrose that it's much nicer with a bit of aging. Have fun with your testing! :smile:

I searched, browsed, etc... unfortunately came up blank. If there's already a thread to this, please meld this into it! And if there IS a tonka thread, please add it to this useful list to prevent other tonka-lovers like me from cluttering<3

<SNIP>

It can be a deathly poison, but alluring and warm and comforting.... love it. I'm planning on trying Perversion and Western Diamondback soon. What do the experts recommend?

There's this thread, but it's not tonka-specific:

Vanilla, Tonka and Benzoin, So much love!

I love Western Diamondback and Perversion; those are great ones to start with!

So I've completely lost my mind over Haloes (Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot) and I find myself really intrigued my the tonka note. There don't seem to be too many GCs that have it that I can wear. Aeval was not bad, but it's discontinued, and most of the others seem quite masculine or have other notes that I can't wear. So I'm turning to veteran bpal'ers for LE recs from the last few years that feature a strong tonka note!

I generally prefer sweeter, feminine scents. If you'd describe it as "pretty", I'll probably like it. Anything come to mind?

The Butterfly from The Last Unicorn (Fuzzy brown tonka bean, golden amber, bergamot, and petitgrain) is lovely if you don't mind bergamot. The overall impression to me is bright and uplifting, a soft, fuzzy citrusy scent.

So I've completely lost my mind over Haloes (Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot) and I find myself really intrigued my the tonka note. There don't seem to be too many GCs that have it that I can wear. Aeval was not bad, but it's discontinued, and most of the others seem quite masculine or have other notes that I can't wear. So I'm turning to veteran bpal'ers for LE recs from the last few years that feature a strong tonka note!

I generally prefer sweeter, feminine scents. If you'd describe it as "pretty", I'll probably like it. Anything come to mind?

Agape (the essence of friendship: carnation, apple, sweet pea, vanilla cream, passionfruit, sugar cane, tonka, and guava). It's a forum-only LE, but there are a lot of bottles of it for sale/swap here!

Edited by elbow

Lysander Illyria Lilac musk, tonka, wood violet, and urbane lime rind, with a Venus-kissed tangle of myrtle, blackberry leaf, and benzoin.

Haven't tried this one but looking at the note list I want to.

i really wanted to like lysander and it is nice, but not really my think. however that is precisely because it dries down to a slightly musky tonka and it is too soft for my tastes. tonka lovers should definitely give it a try, though! the opening notes are great (even for someone who is generally more drawn to woods/leather/musks): very floral (lilac/violet) and a little bitey because of the lime.

Edited by gentle-twig