Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pinkstardust420

Left His Nurse While In a Crowd

Hot tea with cream, berry cream-filled milk chocolates, and moist slices of cake against a backdrop of alarming leonine golden musk.

Left His Nurse While In a Crowd - I think this might be the first over-the-top foody scent that not only smells amazing in the vial, but also on my skin. I cannot get over how well this wear! It comes as sweet, moist, white cake -- lot and lots and lots of white cake -- smothered in chocolate and berries. It's sweet, fruity, chocolatey, cakey delicious. It doesn't last long on me -- 90-120 minutes at most, but it's well worth reapplying. It's really, really, really awesome, and the chocolate in it never does turn stale on me, as chocolate often does. The cake note, which always works on me, carries the chocolate and somehow buffers it from the bad things my skin usually does to chocolate notes. This is such an unexpected winner!

The lovely catseyes gave me a tester of this and I was beyond thrilled, being it was the one Inquisition scent I was bonkers to try.

In the vial: pure chocolate goodness

On my skin: The chocolate lingers for a moment before the lemony tea takes over. As it settles the chocolate disappears entirely and the cream in the tea strengthens with the fainstest hint of cake and berries in the background.

I was hoping for more chocolate so while this scent is enjoyable, it's just not what I had hoped for.

Left His Nurse While In a Crowd

In the imp: an odd dusty chocolate and creamy berry scent.

Wet on skin: berry liqueur chocolates and a dusty furry musk.

Dry on skin: now I smell cake, and it smells like a spicy fruity cake, moist and containing golden syrup, stem ginger, various dried fruits like dates and maybe raisins or prunes. I also smell lemon tea, and some chocolates too, with a red berry liqueur filling. It really smells like what it says it should, all these sweet teatime treats laid out, tempting and delicious. I smell a hint of furry fuzzy musk, a golden and dry musk, but I think the lemony tea is strongest.

After a while: the scent goes through a lot of morphing. Some stages are nicer than others. Sometimes I smell dusty musk, at other times lemongrassy tea, at other times ginger cake, and then it seems to settle into a smooth sweet chocolate and berry scent. It smells like chocolates filled with a berry fondant. The berry note is identical to the one in Miller vs California. Indeed, by the end, this is very similar to Miller vs CA, right down to the hint of booze and something reminiscent of fig, and with the leather replaced by cake. The musk is dry and brownish, a little dusty, reminiscent of Miller’s paper bag note. It’s not as big and furry as I expected, nor does it remind me of the Lion.

The scent then settles into a chocolate-berry. It reminds me of a 13, maybe the March 09 version, but it’s a little flatter, not as interesting, to my nose. It’s lost all the complexity of the cake, tea, musk, spices…there’s an odd boozy thing to it that smells a bit weird?

Verdict: this had so much potential and complexity to it, but something about it means it isn’t really perfect on me. There are moments when it shines…the wet stage is a glorious mix of ginger cake and lemon tea served with Quality Street chocolates. But something in it isn’t quite right? Is it the musk? I normally have no trouble with golden musk. There’s a weird lemon note that I seem to smell in a lot of the Inquisitions in this round. It works well here, like lemon tea or lemon drizzle cake. The drydown of this scent is a weird dusty musky chocolate with a pleasant berry fondant filling. It’s nice, but I preferred the first stage when I could smell everything in here, the cakes, the tea, the chocolate and musk, and nothing really clashed, but the drydown is a little flat in comparison. I think I’ll stick to Eat Me and Huesos de Santo for my cake fix.

Emoticon rating: :umm:

Is it a keeper? I swapped the bottle off, but I'm keeping a decant.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

In the imp this is creamy, steamy chocolate tea cakes. It's sweet and warm and alluring indeed!

Wet on my skin this morphs into a beautiful and ripe berry tea, accompanied by chocolate cream cakes. What a scent! It's absolutely seamless, and actually reminds me somewhat of Vampire from planet X. It's that same alarming musky note, and I love it!

Drying down this is the perfect cup of berry tea. I don't drink tea, but I love to smell other peoples tea! A friend in work brings her own infuser and fills it with dried cranberries, apples, raspberries and the like, and Let his nurse smells EXACTLY like that. It's just so comforting and warm and charming and oh I am swooooooning over this.

There is a slight medical tinge to this as well. Peptac! Thats exactly what I smell. Sweet and stickly pink aniseed peptac.

I adore this scent. It's seamlessly blended. I may need to find a bottle but where is the question!!!!!!

This is a creamy tea with slight hint of sweet cake. I don't smell any of the other notes... It is actually quite good! I think I quite like this scent, but it has little throw on me. In fact, in order to smell it at all, I have to put my wrist to my nose.

I am so conflicted over this one. It smells tasty, but I don't see myself ever wearing it.

Origin:

5mL bought on LJ.

Preconceived notions:

I've been waffling on this one ever since I came back to the Land of BPAL (which is a magical place with patchouli-scented kittens and marshmallow unicorns; a lot of fun for the whole family, as long as the whole family is open-minded).

From the notes, this sounds like it could be one of those rare foody scents that I really love, although the berry cream has me worried (if it's raspberry or blackberry, I'll be happy, but something like strawberry would be bad). It's the reviews that have me the most concerned. I can't stand the smell of lemon, so if Left His Nurse is indeed heavy on the lemon, this is going to be an epic fail. :nervous:

First sniff:

Chocolate cake (and milk chocolate frosting) with just a hint of cream and fruit. I couldn't tell you what kind of berry this is. It's just...berry. It smells nice, whatever it is. I don't think it's strawberry, but it's so faint that it's hard to tell. I don't smell any tea yet. I could be getting some musk, but mainly it's chocolate cake and frosting.

Wet on skin:

Lemon! :eek:

Seriously, the second Left His Nurse touches my skin I get assaulted with a full-on onslaught of lemony evil. It's not lemon poundcake (which wouldn't be so bad; I can tolerate the smell of things like lemon poppyseed and orange cake). It's just lemon. Bright, tart lemon. And it's strong. I hate it when an unlisted note that I hate pops up and ruins an otherwise good scent. :cry:

I can still smell some of the chocolate cake and frosting underneath, but it's being overwhelmed unless I sniff right up against my skin (getting a noseful of citrus in the process). If you're a citrus fan, I'm sure you'd think this was lovely. I, however, am not a citrus fan.

Dry down:

The lemon has mostly calmed down now, but I can still smell it, mixing with the chocolate cake, frosting and (finally) a small bit of black tea. The berry disappeared, never to be heard from again after its appearance in the bottle. The musk, however, is here. But I only really notice it because I know it's there. It's low key and sticks close to my skin, making this scent just a touch less foody and more grown-up.

The bottom line:

I actually like Left His Nurse quite a bit once the lemon backs down, although I'd really prefer if there wasn't any lemon at all. I may end up wearing this in a scent locket, since I don't smell the lemon until it hits my skin. But then I'll be sacrificing the musk, since I don't smell it in the bottle, either. I'll probably end up wearing this both ways. On the skin for the musk and in the locket if I'm not feeling tolerant of the citrus of doom.

Edit: Typing fail. :blush:

Edited by Penance

This smells exactly like the description. Tea and cream and chocolate and cake. None of that weird plastic-like scent that cream notes often do on me -- this one smells good. When it's dry the tea is quite faint, and it mostly smells like cream and cake and some sort of light sweet fruit.

It's probably too hard to find for me to try to hunt down a bottle, but I like it enough that I'd want one. It smells luscious.

So, I won a bottle in a recent Ebay auction...got it today!!

Wet: Smells like creamy chocolate!!

On Skin: Chocolate fades to a perfect amount. The creamy berry mixes with it perfectly. I was worried about the tea, berry, and cream notes. Not a tea fan and most berries (strawberry, cherry, blackberry) goes plastic or medicinal on me. If something it too creamy, it is just bad!!

Drydown: A WINNER!!! This is perfect!! If you are a foody lover like me and have fears of the same notes as listed above, don't fret!! I don't get any tea, but I can smell the berry, chocolate, cream and cakes in a perfect harmonic blend!!! It's a keeper!!!!

Left His Nurse While in a Crowd starts off being all chocolate and sweets.

Immediately it reminds me of a mix between Bread and Butterfly and Sprinkle Cake.

Edited by icecreamcone

This was mostly berry, chocolate, and cake on me. With some tea notes mingled in too. I thought it would be the ultimate foodie scent. While it is super foodie it is weak. Meaning low throw and didn't last long at all. So sad. :(

In bottle: lemon, light chocolate, maybe cake

Wet: more berries and lemon with light chocolate and a soft cake note.

Drydown: soft white cake, lemon, and barely any chocolate or berries anymore. Maybe a dash of tea and cream.

As I said before it was gone under a half hour though sadly.

I really love the combo of gourmands and musk (looking at you, Elephantine Colossus and The Soldier!) so I was excited to snag a bottle of this.

Wet: lots of tea. Something that reminds me of pie crust. Bit of berry, bit of chocolate. Totally pleasant. Hoping the musk comes out!

Dry: I quite like this, though I don't know how me it is. Really strong berry for a while, then it morphs to more of a berry-chocolate scent. I think if the musk had come out more on me this would have been killer. As it is, it's very gourmand, and have found myself reaching for those less and less lately, so I am likely to pass this on to someone who will truly love it.

This is mostly about the berry-filled chocolates on me. It reminds me of cherry cordials, but with berries (blueberries? or maybe a purple berry) instead of cherry. After a while, the cream and musk emerge, making the scent less chocolate-y (although the berries have stuck around). The tea and cake are MIA on me.

I'm glad I got a chance to try this, but I really wish I had gotten the tea and cake!