Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
cfrancesca

Comforting Plush Companion

Warm, snuggly honey musk with sweet vanilla and a hint of rose and sugar plums.

Oh, this is lovely! Honey cake and soft, soft vanilla, with the faintest hint of florals in the background. It is rather foody, but in a way that doesn't turn plastic on me, which is a nice change. It's very, yes, snuggly and warm--not super-foody, but surprisingly sophisticated and feminine. :wub2:

First applied, I smell pastry. Like a nut dough or something. It's why anything that sounds edible from the Lab doesn't work on me.

After a bit, the nutty dough goes away and I start to get a bit of honey with the plums. There is a bit of rose way in the background, giving a hint of something floral but it's not overwhelming at all. Now, into the drydown, it's this lovely plummy cream. Very nice and snuggly. I'm glad I don't want a bottle though.

Comforting Plush Companion - There's so much love for this blend among the reviewers so far, but I just can't add to that love. I can identify each distinct note and I love each note, but when blended together, the overall effect is that there's something broken or not-quite-right about this blend. My first instinct is that the sugar plum and rose aren't blending well, but I know I adore Snooty Rose, which is all rose and plum, so that can't possibly be it. Whatever the case, something in this isn't blending well with something else, and to my nose it's really a wonky scent. I wish I could love it. I love every note in it. I'm sad this doesn't work for me.

I'm lucky in two ways: lucky I found a whole bottle of this for sale and lucky that it works so well on me!

I purchased it unsniffed even after reading the mixed reviews so far, because as long as I apply sparingly I get along really well with all the notes. I've never had the dreaded PlayDoh or plastic reaction to the Lab's vanillas, and on me the listed floral notes stay very sweet and light, not amped or overpowering. Companion's a morpher on me! It goes on with a pastry/foodie/plum note a la Crumpet Rebellion that disappears within minutes, drying down into a soft, musky vanilla. Mid-drydown, the musk and sweet baby powdery floral notes are what linger longest on my skin. The sugarplum is still there, too, but it's only noticeable if I press my nose to my skin, which is a lovely thing to do when you're wearing this scent. Companion is sweet, soft and innocent, very close to the skin, with short wearlength which is good because I love every stage of it, from wet to the drydown, and won't mind reapplying.

It really does remind me of a well-loved, soft and cozy plush toy. This scent will be good aromatherapy for me on days when I'm feeling anxious - I can just snuggle my nose against my wrist for a sec and feel better.

I can't smell any rose in this, but it is a plummy, sweet scent. Very snuggly indeed. I love the plum with the vanilla musk -- it smells so cute and soft.

This is definitely a comforting and happy scent for me. I really like it a lot and hope I'll be able to find more of it.

I tested this without reminding myself of the notes first, and I honestly didn't even realize it had rose in it for awhile. It gets stronger as it dries, but in the wet stage it (in conjunction with the sugar plums) created an almost raspberry-like note reminiscent of Berry Moon. The honey musk is, however, the dominant element in this one, and I really like it. It's quite saccharine, but still has a smooth depth to it. The vanilla is just a wisp of scent in the background for me.

Very sweet, and I'll need to be in the right mood to wear it, but I like this one.

Wow it's been a long time since I've reviewed here but I won a bottle of this on ebay after dying to try this. I'm so glad I did! I was really hoping I would like this and it's quite interesting. First whiff is a bit strong though not in a sense of headache inducing, in fact this perfume seems quite non offensive. When it dried a little thoughl it's amazing. It's strangley fresh and almost cool while cuddly at the same time. I the rose isn't over powering and it seems to blend nicely with the sugarplums... it's also foody but yet still floraly fresh without being too floral or soapy. Yes I'm so glad I got a bottle of this . When I swapped for a sample a while back it got lost in the mail =(. This is probably not for everyone and it is a bit of a peculiar scent but it works for me ^^ And oh yes, the sillage is nice in fact I think it best not huffed up close alot if you have alot on because it's very sweet but yes...

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

When I first put this on, I get a blast of cakey smell that is very similar to Eat Me, only with definite honey coming through. I like it. It's sweet and creamy honey, and it reminds me of the girlish type of honey in Alice. As it dries (this happens quickly), I smell what must be the sugarplums and also the rose as they push their way to the foreground. I vastly prefer the sugarplums to regular plum- they seem more sugary and delicate to me. I like this stage pretty well, although I really like the way the scent starts out with the honey cake a little bit better. It is not until this has had a bit of time to dry that I can distinctly sense the vanilla. When this is completely dry, it is quite faint, and eventually fades to just a hint of the plasticy (on my skin) pastry note with a ghost of the original scent. It reminds me of the "Strawberry Shortcake doll" smell I sometimes recognize. I really like this scent in its early stages, and I just wish it would stick around longer. I'm on the fence as to whether or not I need to track down a bottle, or if I'll be okay with my decant.

Origin:

Partial 5mL bought on LJ.

Preconceived notions:

I've had a bee in my bonnet about trying this one for a while, probably because of the name, which makes me smile. :lol:

BPAL's honey note is one of those hit or miss things for me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't and sometimes (as in the case of O), it smells horrible on me, both sour and sweet at the same time (and more than a little bit like vomit). Sugar plums, as appealing as they sound (in a whimsical way), don't work for me in BPAL (Midwinter's Eve and Sugar Plum Fairy were both failures on me) and rose is a death note, so this one is a major gamble, but I'm so excited to have a half a bottle of my own that it's kind of pathetic. :blush:

First sniff:

I was expecting something much more heavy on the honey musk, but straight out of the bottle, I get honeyed sugar plums. And it's surprisingly pretty, in spite of my bad track record with other BPAL sugar plum blends. It's sweet and fruity and girly and innocent, but it's also slightly musky. It makes me think of a little girl more than a little girl's plaything. And, in spite of it not being a "me" scent at all (since I lean towards gender neutral to masculine and prefer incense, resins, wood and dirt), I like it.

Wet on skin:

I get a little bit more honey musk once Comforting Plush Companion hits my skin, but it's still predominately sweet, slightly tart sugar plums. I don't get any rose yet, which is a very good thing since even a tiny little bit of rose can ruin a blend for me completely. This is a fun, light-hearted scent. More playful than comforting to my nose. I think if I got mainly honey musk and less plum, it would come across as a very snuggly, comforting teddy bear of a scent, but instead I'm getting images of tea parties and sunshine glistening on shiny, baby-fine curly hair.

Dry down:

This one's no morpher. It's mainly honeyed sugar plums with a hint of very delicated musk from start to finish, although it gets slightly more musky and sweet as it dries. The rose never does put in an appearance (which I'm eternally grateful for since it was the one note that would have been guaranteed to make this unwearable for me). I really like the feel of this one. It's cheerful and happy and child-like, but not so childish that it smells inappropriate on a grownup. I think you need to have the right personality to wear something like Comforting Plush Companion and wear it well, but I'm an eternal child at heart, so it's a "me" scent in that regard. :)

The bottom line:

My half bottle will be plenty, but I'm actually enjoying Comforting Plush Companion more than I expected. It's sweet and fruity and girly and innocent and everything that's the polar opposite of my "usual" perfumes, but it makes me happy to wear it. I'd like it more if the honey musk were stronger and the sugar plum a little less intense, but this one's a winner in spite of that. Maybe not a scent I'll wear every day, but it'll be good for the days when I want something that smells fun and innocent. :smilenod:

I'm still kicking myself for passing up the '09 Inquisition--I've had a devil of a time tracking down decants. Anyway, BPAL honey is not my thing, but I still couldn't resist this. On my skin, it's pink and fruity over a buttery cookie scent. The buttery cookie is really not good, but then it's gone and I get vanilla and sugar plums and a faint, sweet pink rose (much like Hope). I don't detect honey at all, which is great. I probably won't need to try to find a bottle of this, but I'm very grateful to the forumite who swapped this to me.

weird. this is smelling to me EXACTLY like one of the black helicopter scents, i THINK it's staged moon landing- i can sorta see it, since both have been described as fuzzy or dusty, but the only note they seem to have in common is the vanilla. mostly vanilla cake notes here with a slight fruity rose. it's a little more foody and a little less snuggly than i was anticipating, but i'm still enjoying it.

Edited by bonny

Oh, wow. This was kind of an impulse buy to tag along with something else I wanted (thanks Deek!), and it's so beautiful on me. The vanilla and honey musk are balanced perfectly and are fuzzy and soft, with the plum behind them adding a little tartness to keep it from getting too monotonous. This is soft and lovely and reminds me a little of the honey musk in Berry Moon (I only have 2009) but it's like the cool weather companion. :wub2:

Edited to add that I put some on this morning and forgot all about the very weird way this smells in the bottle and wet. Within three minutes it's lovely... but wet, there is something very off about it in a strange way. I don't even know how to describe it- not the bakery scent others are mentioning... something else and I don't know what. Weird... it makes a complete 180 and gets so much nicer, so if you think it smells odd in the bottle, give it a try.

Edited by biocarolyn

I was convinced this scent would be perfect for me (I adore all the notes) and I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me try some. And it was beautiful, of course. So I had to go on a mad hunt for some. Thought I had found some...turned out I didn't. Then I finally found a whole bottle! Really excited to try it again, I only tested it once, months ago.

Wet: Mmm. Even prettier than I remember. On me, I get a crystalline, sugared vanilla. Then I get the same sugar plum note as sugar plum fairy. Very pretty. Soft, sweet, comforting. The rose doesn't take over, which is nice. Nor does the honey. The sugar plum is kind of the star, along with sugary honey/vanilla musk.

Dry: Even better. The sugar plum tones down a bit, and the honey comes out a bit more. It's so pretty. I'll really enjoy wearing it this winter, so glad I found a bottle!

Wet: Honey, vanilla, and rose. All fairly equal with one another!

Dry: Sweet, musky, vanilla-scented roses and sugar plums. This is a surprise hit on me! Roses and I don't get along most of the time, but here it's quite nice. This scent smells like a hug.

Definitely a warm and sweet scent! The honeyed musk note reminds me of fur. And when I first applied it, the sugar plum note reminded me more of a powdery bubblegum or lollipop scent. It fades somewhat quickly on me though, about 3 hours. But I could see this being a great sleep time scent for it's coziness and warmth.