Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
persianmouse

Maeve, the Sword Swallower

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK! This is good. Like really good. Like new episode of LOST good. Like rolling around on the carpet good. It reminds me a bit of Shub-Niggurath or War, so there must be ginger in it, and maybe-stressing the maybe here- plum (there's something about it that reminds me of Dionysia). And its one of those ones you have to put on to appreciate it. Because in the bottle (and the first couple of seconds on my skin) it smelled of Nacho Cheese Doritos and RC Cola. But once it blooms on the skin...I just want to bite my wrist. Unlike Shub and War, it loses it's Nacho Cheesiness (ginger=Nacho Cheese Doritos in my screwed up little nose).

Maeve wears a lot of red-violet velvet, and has a tendency to be everywhere, lounging in a bored manner. She doesn’t have to do or say anything to be notice, you just simply notice her, often when its already too late. Maeve does not appreciate the all the ham-fisted and clumsy double-entendres everyone feels the need to make at her occupation, erroneously thinking they are being original and clever. Maeve isn't a young girl, but she ain't an old broad, and if you tried to offer her Nacho Cheese Doritos, she would slow swing her slightly disgusted and disbelieving gaze over to you, standing there like a tool, arm outstretched, chip bag dangling from your hands, and simply stare hard at you, unblinkingly, until your balls timidly retract back into your abdomen, and, utterly emasculated with shame of your own buffoonery, you slink away like a seagull from a slow-moving car in a mall parking lot.

She reminds me a bit of the Poodle Lady from Batman Returns, or the Harley Quinn from Azzarello's 2008 Joker graphic novel;a kind a still viciousness, taciturn and deadly pretty things.

Hello Smutastic awesomesauce! Many thanks to the great and powerful PersianMouse for the sniffie of this. Maeve is a musky, dark, resinous, gorgeous blend. There is a hint of something nutty but it is fairly light. I just can't stop sniffing my wrist.

RED MUSK. LOTS OF AND LOTS OF RED MUSK! That is pretty much all I could get out of the bottle and as an enemy of red musk, the limited available skin was not worth marring to skin test this one.

Hrm. Clove, and B.O. I’m not sure what that is, but it’s strong, and funky. I’ve smelled some wood single notes that are strongly funky like this before. This is a very animal scent.

On a second test I might detect some dark amber... it can also be kind of sweaty/funky in certain circumstances. I did like this better the second time; it grew on me I guess.

In bottle/imp: Red musk and powdery amber, or something like that. Musky and dirty smelling.

Immediately on skin: This smells musky and sexy. It’s very deep and resinous, but has this dry note that tickles my nose. I think resin, red musk, and some amber. There’s also a metallic edge to this.

After a little while: This scent stays pretty much the same on my skin as it dries. It’s sexy red musk with something resinous and a powdery note. The metallic edge seems lighter, but it still lingers. I might get just a touch of leather, too, but it’s faint.

Overall Impressions: This scent is rich and deep, dry and mysterious. It’s feminine, but just slightly so. This scent is sexy and self-assured.

I was gifted a sniffie of this by the lovely persianmouse, and am surprised by how lovely it is. In the vial, it's very dark in color and the oil looks slightly viscous. When it's wet, I mostly smell resins, but once it's dry, things really get interesting. There must be ginger in here, because it's reminding me of 2 of my favorite scents - Shub-Niggurath and Storyville. Ginger and resins make for a sexy, unique scent, though it wears pretty close to the skin. This fragrance totally evokes images of the sword swallower. Dark, seductively beautiful and dangerous. :wub2: I'll be all over this one when it's released!

Wow, this is gorgeous. :thud: Maeve feels very decadent, sexy (in the most head-twirlingly way) and a little bit dangerous.

These are the notes I get (in order of strongest):

Red Musk (there's possibly another musk in here as well)

Ginger and other Spices (Smells like sexy ginger cookies, the same kind I get in Shub. It actually smells like some of it was dropped in here)

Plum

Booze

Resins

Amber (Egyptian?)

Patchouli

Vanilla

Maeve settles into a mix of sexy ginger cookies, boozey plum, dark sensual musks, and amber. I'm loving Maeve and I'm very happy I got a chance to swap for a bottle of this. I hope it gets released one day, I think it would be very popular!

Red musk, plasticky vanilla, hint of patchouli and plum. And perhaps a whiff of Nacho Doritos? I don't understand the last one. But I swear I also got a whiff of them. Maeve is essentially a red musk blend, and yes it does remind me to Smut so I wonder if the plastickyness isn't perhaps due to a combination of vanilla + black musk.

Maeve and I are definitely NOT getting along, but I can see her being a big hit with everyone else that enjoys blends like Mme. Moriarty or Smut. Alas, not this gal.