Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Every kid wants a pet magah bird! A prism of scent, an explosion of multi-colored feathers: blood orange, black plum, sugar cane, guava, frangipani, coconut, pimento berry, violet, caramel, and pear.

Pet Magah Bird - This is a really bright, fruity scent, but it's got depth from the caramel, pimento berry, and even the dark plum. It's very sweet and sugary and I could see little girls falling in love with this fragrance. If it didn't have my nemesis caramel in it, I'd probably really love it, but the caramel goes wonky on my skin (as it always does) and gives it an unpleasant undertone on me. I wish there was a way to filter out the caramel because without it, I think I'd go crazy over this scent!

Bottle: The sugar cane and guava make this very similar to Agape

Wet: Still sugar cane and guava, but less chalky than Agape so far. WOAH caramel out of nowhere!

Drydown: Worth noting that this is strong. I have a lot of bright fruity scents but this is hella powerful. Blood orange an violet are dominating at this stage. A weird combo for me, but it helps Mr. Magah Bird stand out from the pack.

Overall: It's not bad. It's very fruity and kind of sharp. The plum takes on more of a role, and for me the caramel hangs in the background (which is good because it can sometimes smell like sweat on me :P). I've got this whole bottle but...Not sure I really need it? We'll see

Revisit: I tried it again. Now I'm a believer. Not a trace (doot doot doot) of doubt in my mind. Keeping the bottle. There's definitely a place for Mr. Magah Bird in the collection. Guava backs off eventually and the blood orange/plum combo give it a distinct identity apart from Agape. Time and saturation also let the violet come out and play, and for me the caramel is still staying in the way back and not killing the whole thing with a "sweat" scent. This is a fun scent with good year round potential.

Edited by CynicalPink

Okay, everyone laugh at me know, but this blends with my chemistry (which sweetens up most scents) to produce the perfect grown-up version of Froot Loops, and a little creamier on the drydown from the yummy caramel. I LOVE Froot Loops but try to keep excess sugar out of the house, so it's a great substitute! :yum:

Edited by Invidiana

bottle: orange, guava, caramel... this reminds me a great deal of agapē, just with a nice dab of caramel added.

wet: yummy! this is more like diary of a lovestruck teenage cannibal once applied. very bright fruits and a nice sugary stripe running through it.

dry: this is a much brighter fruit scent than either agapē or diary of a lovestruck teenage cannibal. this is vibrant and lively, i'm going to save it for spring or summer.

Fruity, then a bit like a pile of Strawberry Shortcake (and her friends) dolls. Now, it's a calmer, more subtle fruity blend. It's nice, but it's not remarkable to my nose, not something I need a bottle of. Not terribly winter-ish, either, not to me.

Surprisingly, I think this is my favorite of the Yule blends so far. I've been having bad luck, so I wasn't holding out much hope for this one (esp. since it has plum, violet, and berry), but....I loooove it!!! At first it is a very juicy scent with the other notes hanging out behind it (which is fine, I love orange), but then the orange fades and I get this wonderful coconut violet blend (which sounds odd, but is actually very pretty). For a little while it's very subtle and then it really blossoms and I can begin to pick out the other notes, but it's all very well blended and balanced.

I will definitely be ordering a bottle for this spring/summer. :wub2:

Juicy fruits & berries mingle with coconut and violet. It is sweet, energetic blend that combines the lushness of fruits and florals and together it produces a tropical explosion.

Definitely a scent to make the winter blahs go away.

FIrst I got a burst of sugary fruits, sort of like a bowl of glazed fruit.

Next came a burst of lime.

After that, it got thicker in that a caramel undertone appeared, anchoring the fruit.

Then it was back to sweet and almost floral.

It's a real morpher. Medium throw and staying power.

Fruity and very sweet. I'm sitting here sniffing trying to pick out which note is strongest, but I don't think I can. I wouldn't have guessed there was violet or pear in this -- those are pretty distinct on me, and I can't smell them. Just a wee bit of coconut. It's not too fruity, like :eek: FRUIT. I think the caramel and floral notes keep it balanced.

Very fruity and sweet. On wet and for the first hour or so I do get alot of the blood orange swirling about and I love that. Unfortunately, it doesn't last and I get plum, guava and a hint of violet on the drydown. Love it on wet, as I adore blood orange, but it just doesn't stick around.

This one just smells awesome :wub2: and its funny because I wasn't too thrilled by the sound of it! Creamy sweet tropical florals and fruits, no pineapple in this. Not alot of coconut and it has a little peppery spice to it. Runner up favorite of the Faire scents, must get a bottle. :wub2:

In imp: a chaotic array of brightly coloured notes, in which pepper is the most noticeable.

Wet on skin: so many notes fighting for my attention that I can't identify or enjoy any of them. *sniffs long and deep* I can find orange, pepper and violet. It's all quite dark and bitter.

Dry on skin: a bitter orange with whole black peppercorns stuck into it, like a weird pomander, clashing vividly with violet and a mish mash of fruits.

This one is complex, so much so that i have difficulty deciding what my nose is smelling, but i like it! There's something almost incense like about this one it is totally dry (say after an hour), it might be a hint of spicyness from the pimento berry (someone said that's the same thing as allspice?).

Wet: Definitely get the blood orange, which is nice and tart on me, plus perhaps the plum and sugar cane?

Early drydown: More plum, orange is falling back.

And completely dry: Really, really nice. A hint of spicy incense warmth ( i definitely recognize this as pimento berry now, it is the same note from But Men Loved Darkness), creaminess that could be coming from the coconut and/or caramel. Just enough of the fruits in the drydown that i'm not just getting spicy incense.

Overall: I really like the scent, love the label art, and might even consider more than one bottle!

I get sugary butterscotch first. And then I do get the explosion, a billion sweet and candy scents. The violet is candies violet, the pear is candied pear, and the coconut is full of sugar. Yum!

Lovely! Sweet, fruity, ever so slightly spicy. I "get" the comparisons to Agape because of the creamy fruitiness. Pet Magah Bird is much darker, though. It reminds me of one of the Grindhouse Ladies ... Aerowen or Dionysia, perhaps?

It smells exactly like some kind of hard candy I used to eat a lot - I've forgotten what that is, but I'm having some sort of repressed guava memory.

The blend is lovely for those who like to smell of candy, but just too fruity, cloying, and facile for me - that orange note in particular just sings and sings. I also should have known better than to jump on something with caramel in it - it's usually a deal-breaker note for me. Swaps.

It smells exactly like some kind of hard candy I used to eat a lot - I've forgotten what that is, but I'm having some sort of repressed guava memory.

Same here -- I'm not sure it's the guava, though, but the orange that's making me think that. Something in a tin that's lightly sugared but not all that sweet... this is going to bug me now.

It's so mellow and orange, yet surprisingly not a foody scent on me. It's candied orange and violet after it dries down, but it's hard to be able to give much more past that since my skin eats it up really quickly. but I'm going to hold onto my imp nonetheless, since it's one of non-woody scents that's really got its hooks into me. To be honest, I should probably pick up a bottle from the lab while I still can, since my daughter would really like this.

In the imp: Definitely fruity, but I can't pick out a certain fruit.

On me: It sweetens up a bit, and I think I'm getting mostly orange, a bit of spice, and a hint of coconut. Some forumites are comparing Magah Bird to Agape, but on me the scents are totally different. Agape, to me, is a slightly floral, sweet apple; Magah Bird, on the other hand, is orangey and almost has a Christmasy vibe to it. I always try the scents with a large variety of fruit, like this and the Pinwheel scent from this past summer, but the scents never match up to the colorful cornucopia of fruits that my imagination creates when I read the list of notes. Stupid skin chemistry, simplifying my complex fruit blends!

Bright golden oil. Sweet, fruit, tropical. Very bright and indeed colourful. I get all the fruits, the coconut, the slightly heady frangipani, and the slightly powdery violet...the caramel is fortunately very light. It's a bit on the syrupy sweet side, but we'll see.

This makes me think of really good candy, or fruit punch. Also Pez, because there is a disctint powdered sugar sort of note. This is by far the strongest blood orange note I've ever gotten in a BPAL blend. The gauva and pear and sugar cane are also all gorgeous, and I find the black plum a tad heavy, but I don't mind it. This is both juicy and tart and I'm still not getting caramel, yay!

I do get the slight spicy vegetalness of the pimento and I am not a fan. Also, the coconut is apparent, and I hate coconut in perfume. Otherwise this would be fantastic - I'd even suck up the powdery violet.

Pimento amping and amping, more and more vegetal and spicy and peppery and not at all what I want to smell like ever. It's completely dominating the delicious fruit notes, but the coconut is standing up to it a little better (of course, ugh).

Sweet tropical fruits and bell-pepper-y, spicy-hot pimento with creamy sweet coconut and a hint of violet powder. The fruits hold really well and I actually like the powder from the violet here, but the pimento and coconut are absolute dealbreakers. Good throw and longevity.

I couldn't resist Mr Bird. He's so cute and feathery and flamboyant.

In bottle: Mmm, exactly what I was hoping. You can smell almost all of the individual notes, although guava, orange, plum, and caramel are standing out the most

On, wet: There's some violet, the fruit isn't as juicy anymore.

Drydown: Caramel wanted to be center stage on my skin, and pushed guava, orange, plum, and everyone else backstage. Violet tries to peek out from behind the curtain every so often but gets menacing glances from caramel, and pops back inside.

This has decent throw and good staying power, but caramel is really dominating the whole Magah Bird show on my skin.

Oddly enough, the secondary note to the caramel seems to be a sharp nut, like pecan or walnut. Mr Bird is a showoff, and is making up notes that don't even exist in this blend.

Edited by moosue

Bubblegum! I am getting major bubblegum from this scent! I think that it is just the combination of fruit and sugar, but this scent turns into instant Bubbleyum.

After a bit, I smell something a bit citrusy with a bite. Ouch!

Sadly this one is a major no on my skin.

I mostly get creamy fruit, so yeah, it's somewhat like Agape. I can't quite identify what fruit I think I'm smelling...I think it's more like cherries, or oranges. Nice and fun, if rather faint.