Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse

Fit for the finest oblation -- and your holiday table, too! Sugar-sprinkled pepper nuts with a bit of cinnamon, a bit of clove, a little cardamom, and a hint of nutmeg.

This one was sweet, a little citrusy, and spicy, but very light. It faded completely within an hour, which made me very sad. I found it to be pretty unremarkable. I have other spicy scents that I like much better, and other foodie cookie type scents that I like much better too. It was sitting unloved in the back of my collection, so I sold my partial bottle. Nice, but not strong enough or interesting enough for me.

In the bottle: It reminds me of Trappist monk fruit cake. I smell cardamom, clove, some cinnamon and rum (I know it's not in there, but that is what I'm getting). It's a bit cloying in the bottle and wet.

Wet: More of the same with a bit of a buttery undertone, followed by a little pepper.

Dry: Sugary cardamon, cinnamon and clove with a little rum.

12+ hours:A bit of clove and cardamon. It's very faint, but I can still smell it.

This is the first scent that my husband said, "I like it!"

:::MOTHER SHUB'S PFANCY PFEFFERNEUSSE:::

This one arrived to the personal collection via swap only recently (Thank You, Schnanni!), so, while it might be just a wee bit early for Holiday-Cheer, the Yuletide Spirit looms large nonetheless!

The labels' artwork is awesome. While this is indeed Miskatonic chic, admittedly, there was some chuckling over it because the greenish claw depicted thereon was suggestive of The Grinch.

From the Bottle: Sugar, Nuts, and Cardamom. The contrast between the Nuts and the Sugar makes for a bit of madness.

There really isn't quite a balance at this stage. This is the olfactory equivalent of a paroxysm.

The Cardamom simply enhances this with a mentholated (medicated?) sort of twinge.

At this phase, the Cardamom completely dominates the other spices.

Strangely, this could be thus far described as a wooden bowl with one scoop each of Pistachio and Mint-Chip ice cream... And someone with a blown right pupil giggling while eating it with a thumbtack... "See? Pretty-pretty! Cockle-doodle-doo!" For the life of you, you can't remember whether it's your or their pee on the floor...

On the Skin: And then you receive a frightful bash on the nog with a stout stick as been studded with Peppercorns.

For some reason, Body Chemistry has declared the other spices in this formula delectable and gobbled them up, straight away.

This is fiery greenish-black.

Even the Nuts have wandered off into a snowbank.

From here, this is pretty much Piper Nigrum... Perhaps a Green Peppercorn or two, for a show of comraderie, but Piper Nigrum wears the pants.

It could be the Cardamom trying to hold out, but at this phase it smells ALOT more like something along the lines of broiled Fir sap... Imagine watching a Christmas Tree on fire while snack on a bag of Black Pepper Cashews and the picture starts to develop.

Mother Shub's Pfancy Pfefferneusse is a Holiday Hit to cherish.

Creeptastic Christmas on Him or Her.

Stellar!

Joy to the R'lyeh!

4.9 out of 5

Edited by impolight

In the bottle - Cream and pepper

Wet on me - A bakery scent backed by the spices and in particular a lot of pepper

Dry on me - It faded very quickly into nothingness

Overall - The initial stages were interesting, but my skin just ate it up

In the bottle: Butter, with a hint of clove.

Wet: The butter disappears immediately into a soft, yeasty baked-goods smell. Then the cardamom comes out in a powdery, spicy cloud.

Dry: This fades a lot on me as it dries. At a few feet, I've been told it smells like coconut and not much else. I am still getting some mild throw of baked goods and spicy nuts, but it's intermittent. Close to the skin, I get more pepper and the occasional hint of musk (probably from the nuts).

Bottle: This one is damn weird. Familiar and buttery and a little spicy and just WEIRD!

Wet: Oh... That's why. I am from Calgary, home of the Stampede. When you go to the Stampede there is a certain delicacy you simply must sample: the mini doughnuts. This smells exactly like a fresh mini doughnut just out of the fryer doused with cinnamon sugar. I can taste it. It is strange. It is also strange because I would swear there is red sandalwood in this. It's like getting mini doughnuts and wearing sandalwood oil.

Dry: Spicy red sandalwood. Once the whole "fried carnival food" aspect dries down this is really pretty and a little incense-y. On my skin it is definitely sandalwood. Strong, strong sandalwood. Cardamom and pepper stand out. Faint hint of, uh, carnival food. I don't know how I feel about that.

Throw: Excellent. Very strong.

Overall: I like this several miles down the road from its original scent. Spicy sandalwood is amazing. Carnival food is really not something I've ever aspired to someone associating with me.

Smells exactly like those peppery little cookies, right down to the powdered sugar they’re rolled in. Spicy and not too sweet. Cinnamon sometimes gets out of control on my skin, but not here. It blends nicely with the cloves, nutmeg, and other notes. A perfect foody scent that’s not too heavy or cloying. I want a bottle!

Pfancy Pfefferneusse is super spicy on me. It even irritates my skin a little (I think it's the cardamom?). I'd like a little more sweetness.

Working my way through my collection of BPAL, old and new, and hit on a few foodie Yule Ms all at once. This is from the 5 ML bottle purchased from Lab at time of release.

IN THE BOTTLE: It took me a minute to put my finger on it, but it's like tangy coffee cake.

Applied lightly on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: Sweet and light and spicy. Surprisingly actually NOT that foodie to me. I am not getting any of the cinnamon or clove (sad, since they're two of my favorite notes and the reason I ordered this to start with). I guess if I can't identify pfefferneuse, that must be what the primary note is.

DRYDOWN: It remains unfoodie and actually goes, to my surprise, very masculine/cologne. A light cologne but a male cologne nevertheless. It's not awful but it's not something I'd wear again.

OVERALL: Definitely one for the swap list. It's interesting but it's not what I was looking for. I saw a few comps on here to Shub and I do not get even the slightest HINT of that -- if I did it might be a keeper, LOL, since Shub is one of my all-time favorite BPAL blends!

On a scale of 1-5, about a 2ish.

In the imp: Strong cakey smell with an undertone of vanilla and some spices.

On: I don't really know what I'm smelling here and I'm not sure I like it. It smells kinda like cookies with some dusty pale spices floating around it. For some reason I can't pick out any individual notes, the only thing I DO know is that this is making me slightly sick.

The longer I'm wearing it the more I dislike it. It started developing a very sweet smell that I don't care for at all. To the swaps!

In the bottle: Sugary pepper nuts

Wet: this Cardamom and nutmeg come out now on top of the sugary pepper nuts. This is very interesting and different then any other foodie scent I've tried. It's very complex in a way. The throw is pretty good.

Drydown: What ends up sticking around is the sugared pepper nuts. I love all the notes that popped out during the wet to drydown phase but sadly they don't stick around that long. The staying power was maybe 2 hours.

Foodie lovers should give this one a try though since it is quite unique. ;)

Pfefferneusse are one of my favorite Christmas cookies, so I had to try a BPAL based on them!

In the decant: Spices. Dusty cardamom. Kinda smells like a bakery.

On my skin it's sweeter than in the decant. Still bakery-spicy, more like mixed spices than any in particular.

It's pretty "dusty" smelling as it dries. It's still spicy, but smells kind of faded and a bit stale. Has a creamy, almost coconutty, base. This decant is from 2009, though, so it might just be a bit too aged. I'd be willing to try a fresh decant if it was re-released. But I have other scents in this family I prefer currently, like Gypsy Moth.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Sugar and spice and everything nefarious! So glad I got my hands on an imp of this because it smells delish. By the time Yule rolls around again, I'll be trying to bake something that smells just like this.

Where I'd wear it: Baking Yule cakes with family

In the bottle: The creamy spice of eggnog spices, but condensed -- if that makes sense. It's too strong to just be regular eggnog, but in the bottle, at least, the scent profile is the same to me.

On my skin:

Glorious spiced eggnog comes leaping off of my inner elbow. It's great. It can't last.

As it dries, the sugary creaminess dies down, and a more truly peppery note appears. It's not unpleasant, more like that of a quite-spicy spice cake. A few minutes more, and I can pick out a cinnamon undertone. A little bit more and nutmeg comes back; the less peppery eggnog profile isn't quite ready to be done.

The throw on this is great.

Wet: dark, slightly peppery, gingerbread.

On: Sadly short lived gingerbread (which I should have expected) as it turns into just spice without the ginger. I'm getting nothing else but spice from this (including pepper). It doesn't really remind me of pfefferneusse mainly because the icing sugar note is being overpowered.

Dry down: Slight sugar and spice. A bit more like the cookie but this particular blend is not really a nice combination on me unfortunately. Not for me.

This one is really heavy on the powdered sugar. I get a ton of powdered sugar throughout wear, accompanied by some orange zest in the beginning (and perhaps a bit of short-lived chocolate?), with the spices becoming a little more noticeable as the day goes by. After several hours, it does smell like Pfeffernüsse, but the scent is soft and stays close to the skin. It smells sweet, but dry.

I like this, but I don't love it, and I think that may be due to the powdered sugar and pepper combo. It is succeeding in making me want Pfeffernüsse, though, so maybe I will hold onto it for a while and see if I reach for it around the holidays.

Edited by doomsday_disco