Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hackess

Mother Shub's Spiced Lait de Chèvre

MOTHER SHUB'S SPICED LAIT DE CHÈVRE
Nothing warms the cockles like a mug of Mother Shub's egg nog! Goat's milk egg nog with coffee liqueur and spices imported from the Crimson Desert!

In the bottle, it's boozy egg nog. Wet, this one's got a really sharp note, almost reminiscent of cough syrup. Thankfully, that passes super quickly to give way to a warm, lightly spiced creaminess that reminds me of some kind of candy I know I've had before. Not too creamy, not at all milky (read: sour), slightly nutty, and perfectly spiced with cassia and nutmeg. Puts me in the mood for a nice warm holiday beverage! I wish it had more throw, and my skin is eating it. If it had more oof, I'd love it.

If only it were possible to get a 25ml bottle of this and make a full line of soap, moisturizer and perfume of this.

This is the sort of scent a lot of companies aspire to make but don't quite nail.

Perfection in a bottle.

It is delicious, pretty, sexy, comforting and nostalgic all at once.

Haven't been this jazzed up about a BPAL since Lawn Gnome.

There are a number of BPAL scents that one could obviously compare this to but IMO, Spiced Lait de Chèvre is the culmination of quite a few of them.

In the bottle it smells just like egg nog. On it's sweet and creamy with just a little bit of spice to it. Actually it makes me think of bread pudding a little bit. It's not terribly strong on me which I think is actually kind of sad, maybe if I slathered it, hmm.

Anyone who knows me very well knows that I hate store-bought egg nog, so I didn't expect anything out of this. But the goat's milk note is very nice and creamy. It's not too sweet, and thank goodness the coffee note doesn't rise up and slay all the other notes as it usually does on me. I'm surprised by the idea that out of the three Mother Shubs oils, this might become my fave. As the evening wore on, this just got better and better. It's a foodie scent that's more like a skin scent.

in the bottle this was very buttery and the eggnog spice aspect was very much present.

once on me it became a total morpher.

now, my experience with the various eggnog scents in the past has not been so great, as they always end up as just burnt sugar on me.

this one, however, is staying just lovely.

sweet and milky, it reminds of condensed milk in a big way. it's light, but doesn't fade, and the milk note doesn't sour on me the way milk Moon and some others have.

in all: a perfect snuggly scent. i'll be getting me a bottle for sure! ;)

Guy review.

A note on the throw of this scent: My experience was that it faded quickly to the point where I thought it was going to disappear entirely after 10 minutes. Then, strangely, it seemed to settle in and grow in intensity to about medium bpal strength.

Go figure.

I think the comparison to condensed milk is a good one. On the drydown I get a nice warm milky froth, slightly spicy (but moreso on my than on my beloved's hand. The chevre makes a stronger cream, and the coffee note is just barely there in the back. Coffee notes never seem to last long on me. All in all, it reminds me of cookies just ready to come out of the oven. Oh Mother Shub, you shouldn't have!

But I'm so glad you did.

I was so excited to try this blend, since Eggnog 2007 is up there in my top 5 favorites and I've hoarded it. All the notes in this are things my skin loves -- eggnog, coffee/liqueur, spices?! Sounded like an A+ winner. :D So, on with the review.

In the bottle: straight up spiked eggnog

Wet on wrist: I get that sharp bite of liqueur mixed with the eggnog, and a hint of spice. It is glorious, and everything I hoped for.

and then........things go south. :cry2:

On the drydown: Yes, south we go. The liqueur vanishes, the coffee vanishes, and surprisingly (considering what a hit Eggnog 2007 is on my skin) so does the eggnog. What's this?! I cry to myself, sniffing my wrist. It's been replaced with something I can best describe as....funky. But not in a groovy way. After some sniffing of my wrist, and some more sniffing of my wrist, I think it's the goatsmilk aspect that's throwing things off kilter on my skin. It's a little sour on me, and a little.....dry? Or is it just really, really rich, to an overpowering weird level? Weirdness abounds. However, I was determined to stick it out and see if it continued to morph, because dagnabbit, this scent should work on me! Emphatic grunt!

Two hours later: it's richer now. It's a rich creamy scent on my wrist, and the funky scent is gone. I'm smelling the nog again, though no coffee, and not really any liqueur, though a little spice seems to be coming through with the nog. It's reminding me at this point of a richer, less sweet version of Eggnog 2007. During the weird stage in the middle, I was thinking sadly this would go into the swap pile, but at this point, I think I'm giving it another lease on life with me. We'll see how it does as it ages a wee bit, and we'll work on our relationship. :)

Edited by AnArtfuldodger

I agree with AnArtfulDodger who said in the bottle this one was straight up spiked eggnog. On my skin, this...whoa, where have I smelled this before? omg, it's Love's Philosophy...with a wisp of eggnog. That's crazy, I wonder if it's the components, or just my nose..damn, and from the description I expected to love this..but I didn't really love Love's Philosophy, and I don't love Spiced Lait either.

Mostly spices, a hint of coffee...and the goat milk note hiding under everything. It's nice? It isn't instant love, though.

I will say that the far drydown is lovely. All that was left on my skin the next morning was a really great coffee scent. Apparently the parts that I do like have the most staying power. I just wish it didn't take quite so long to get there.

Edited by Aerinha

It's coffee liqueur with egg nog. :yum:

The more it dries, the more it reminds me of Egg Nog Latte from last year's WC Toy Drive.

Very pleasant smelling and definitely puts you in the holiday mood. ;)

wonderful carmel scent with a tiny bit of a burnt undertone which only adds to its loveliness and the barest splash of cream. Happy happy comfort scent for the first 10 or 15 minutes. Then it morphs into baby powder, just as 60-75% of BPAL scents do on my skin. While I'm getting rather used to smelling like a freshly washed infant when testing BPAL, the morph from loveliness to powder actually surprised me here, as this doesn't have any of the notes I've learned to avoid (resins, mostly, which thankfully I have no prob wearing in blends from other perfumers).

Will let the decant settle in and will retest in a week or so to see if there's any change, but I sort of doubt there will be. Oh, well, thankfully I've learned to test whatever I can via decant circles (all hail the lovely decanters!) as so much of BPAL just doesn't work on my skin. But when it does work -- it *really* works! :-D

Edited by inbocadelupa

Whoa! In the bottle this one is so strong and boozy-sweet! It reminds me of something I can't put my finger on, which is driving me crazy. The goats-milk makes it more tangy and strong than a regular milk note. So I put it on. It's sweet and smooth, spicy and latte-like. Yum. Then my skin eats it. OH SKINNN!!! WHYYYY?? Why must you always EAT the foodies?

Anyway. So I might have to slather it on. On days when I want to smell like a boozy eggnog latte.

In the bottle, this smells like butterscotch to me. It took me a while to realise what it was, because it was reminding me of something but I wasn't sure what. It smelled like these bark cookies my mom makes, with crackers smothered in butterscotch and chocolate chips (and they mostly smell like butterscotch and sugar), so butterscotch it must be.

On my skin, it calms down significantly and is more of a warm milk + vanilla + spice scent. It's yummy. Kind of like good chai tea. I'm not 100% sure what eggnog smells like (I've never drunk it because no one in my family is a fan), but if that's it, I kind of want to try it.

I get sweet, spiced, milky nog, with a hint of something boozy that might be the coffee liqueur in the middle of drydown. It fades away, though, and leaves a creamy-sweet scent. I wish this had more throw, because it smells delicious on my wrists but I can't smell it in the air at all. Perhaps it just needs more settling time.

Everyone seems to be getting egg nog! For me, on the first sniff, it's cappuccino! A bit eggy, but still very much like a cappuccino or chai latte with a lot of milk! I get a strong cinnamon and cocoa (rather than chocolate) scent and on my skin it is more like what I imagine being slathered in sugar cookie (with cinnamon, ginger, and a bit of nutmeg) would be like. I am definitely getting a full bottle.

I'm really looking forward to trying this one, and hope it works out. I agree with Lucille; it's a cross between a cappuccino and egg nog. This should be really good, with any luck...

Once on my skin, the balance tilts more towards cappuccino than egg nog, with the egg nog lying underneath and a bit of spice. Mmm. Going to have to ask what my mom thinks of this one, as she's working at a Starbuck as a holiday job. The egg nog eventually dominates, with spices and coffee underneath, and so long as you slather a fair bit, it lasts long. This one's going on the bottle list, I think.

Edited by Venneh

Nom nom, I smell egg-nog! This scent smells like homemade egg-nog with brandy in it, eggy with cream and nutmeg. It faded very quickly though, and had little throw. It smells good, but I don't think I'll be getting a bottle.

in the bottle - very sweet eggnog, i can smell coffee liquor, and nutmeg. If there's brandy here it's very sweet and not real boozy (but i think champagne is the ultimate boozy scent, so what do I know?) buttery for sure.

wet - coffee with butter, sugar, and cream. with a hint of nutmeg. I have to admit, I didn't expect coffee in this, and coffee just isn't my favorite note. It's too close to the real thing and if I want to smell the real thing, I can get it. and I dont like *wearing* it. It reminds me of coffee with maybe butterscotch candy and nutmeg dropped in.

dry- the coffee settles down, it's still there, but now i get more butter and cream. i'm a big fan of cream scents, this isn't a favorite but it's still good.

Rating - 6/10

Have about a 1/2 full bottle and that's about enough.

I am not really sure if I like this one. On me, it's very, very soft - like, almost indetectable. It's creamy and spicey, and vaguely coffee but not much. I'd like to get more coffee from this, and if the cream wore better on me I'd like it more. I'll try it a couple more times before I decide.

Reminds me of Egg Nog Latte! Only this one is a bit more smooth.

Ooooooh! I think this is my favorite of the Arkham Yules this year.

First sniff – boozy vanilla, yes to the coffee liqueur... it smells very lovely. Delicious even.

On the skin - This seems very vanilla with just a hint of creamy coffee.

It faded off my skin FAST though. Many of the boozy scents do, which is a shame because I love them so much.

Smells like Irish coffee served next to a big slice of cheesecake - emphasis on the coffee. It's a DEAD ringer for coffee topped off with milk foam, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and a big shot of Frangelico or Kahluha.

This is delicious and delightful in the vial, and I might get some for a room scent, but my skin eats it to dust and nothingness in fifteen minutes flat. At that stage, it so resembles the dregs of Eggnog or Sugar Cookie that I may as well have worn those scents instead.

Boo! Maybe I'll hang onto it and give it a second try.

This smells like creamy Bailey's with extra vanilla. Once it dries, a little bit of holiday spice comes through. I'm usually not a foody person, but this is quite nice. I'm contemplating a bottle, or at least swapping for a decant (I tested from an empty).

This scent was a total surprise since Egg Nog from a few years ago didn't work because it only lasted maybe ten minutes. I barely notice the coffee here, but it's a creamy, sweet blend. It almost has a bit of a fresh vibe that I'm really liking. Darn, I didn't think I would need any more Yules, well, except maybe this one. It's a comfy scent.