Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
thekittenkat

Hypothermia

Bone-chilling, heart-stopping cold.

In the bottle: faint mints and medicinal herbs.

On the skin at first: Reminds me of Ultraviolet a little bit, without so much floral with an underlying heaviness, like vanilla creme. It does tingle the skin like crisp weather. (Others have said it hurts, I guess what tingles on me, hurts others, be warned.)

After a while: It becomes very light on me. Almost too light. Though I do like smelling it close to get that tingle in the nostrils. Perhaps this is better as a skin experience of coldness rather than a scent experience.

Verdict: A little disappointed it isn't stronger. If I apply it twice, letting the first layer soak in, it seems stronger. I am hoping it is one of those perfumes that becomes more powerful with time, so I will report back if it is so.

End verdict: This goes away on my dry skin very fast. Like within an hour. But I don't own Snow White or any of the other "snow" perfumes and I do like the vanilla snow smell of it. Probably be good to wear to work or some place where I know people don't like me wearing heavy perfumes. For this one is truly the lightest of all. :) Or else I am just blowing out my nose smelling in super close to my face. I'm most likely going to keep my bottle to see how it ages. Edited by Shollin

So sad. :( I was most looking forward to trying this one out of all my decants because I really really wanted mint. But no, it goes right to soap and some sort of strange linen smell. I can catch a tease of mint now and then, but that's it. I also get a medicinal note, which isn't bad.

It does have a cold feeling to it though, which fits. :lol: It's just not for me. :(

This starts off with a minty scent but after about an hour it smells like Snow White on my skin. A hint of mint remains, but not much.

Wet, I get a blast of menthol and eucalyptus - for me it's kind of a warm scent at that stage, as it reminds me of being sick and tucked in bed, or of a sauna.

Drying down, I see the resemblence to Snow White too. The mint is pretty much gone, and there's - I guess - white florals coming to the foreground. No coconut, and it's not as oppressive as Snow White was on me, but I just don't care much about that scent. Still, glad to have tried it!

Smells like a fabric softener I bought once. It smells "cold" but I don't get mint directly. Would make a good room scent.

In decant: Mint?

Wet: Ick. Almost pure alcohol. Very sharp.

Drydown: Horrible medicinal scent. This is really dreadful.

Washing it off. Can’t stand this.

Let's see....

it smells a bit like shower gel (according to The Boy) in a way that reminds me of cool-aquatic blends. It's like an aquatic blend without the lotus.

There is mint, but not a lot of it.

It's a very distant relation of Snow White and it's not creamy at all.

Overall, it's a very elusive scent. It smells clean and kind of "empty". It gives the feeling of a snowfall but it doesn't smell like one at all.

In the bottle, it smells 'cold'. I can't describe it. It isn't minty or anything like that.

On the skin, there is a slight mint note. And again, I smell 'cold'. It isn't a really strong scent either. But I like it.

This is my curse, really great scents work really well on me, but they do not last long.

Hmm... I'm not reading mint at all. :blush: I get a green stem...maybe slightly herby soap scent. Smells soapy and clean...like an ozone scent. Ozone...that's it. Clean air, green perfume...pleasant but probably not something I'd necessarily reach for? Since it smells cold and wintery, this could be a cool scent to wear in the dead of summer!

I'm not getting mint from this, either. I have Hypothermia on one hand and Snow-Flakes on the other. While Snow-Flakes has a clear hit of sweet mint to me, Hypothermia is more soapy ozoney herbal aquatic. It strikes me as kind of generic to be perfectly honest. :\

edit: haha, I ended up buying a bottle of this. It may not be as sweet as some others to start with, but after a while it just leaves a lingering cold smell that's quite nice.

Edited by MamaMoth

In the Decant: a bit soapy, a bit dryer sheet

Wet on Skin: A bit of dryer sheet, slightly soapy, with a bit of delicate sweetness beneath it all

While Drying: a freshness that might be mint, but is being overwhelmed by the soapy dryer sheet

After a Little While: a vague hint of soft mint, over the good parts of Snow White; a bit of a watery green note

Later: The final dry down is fantastic - a creamy sweetness with a touch of mint and a vague hint of flowers. Hypothermia is somewhat like Snow White, but without the disgusting note of Doom and Plastic.

Final Thoughts: The longer this is on, the better it gets. I think I will need a bottle. I wish I had a Venn Diagram showing how all the Yule scents relate. This one would overlap with Snowball Fracas and Snow White, but Hypothermia works better than either of those.

Hypothermia earns a 4/5 on my skin.

In the bottle: Smells like a cold, snow covered Christmas tree.

Wet on skin: I don't get mint. What I get is lemon/lime soda, but not just any lemon/lime soda. The lime soda I'm talking about has been sitting in someone's stomach and then puked out while still cold. Even though this sounds wretchedly unpleasant, it's bearable as this wet phase is short.

Dry: O. M. G! Seriously this has to be the most beautiful scent EVER! I don't know about cold, it smells like early spring. It smells like the early spring sister of The Lady of Shalott! The scent is very green and aquatic. It's achingly beautiful but sunshine warm beneath the chill that never really happens. Over time I get vague wiffs of aged patchouli. This is like winter in the bottle, new years wet, then spring dry, which slowly morphs into summer.

All and all I love this scent and all it's weird transitions

Extremely pale yellow oil, nearly colourless. Minty chemicals, almost boozy. A clear liquor, Everclear maybe? Harsh, solventy. But with some sort of very slightly sweet mint below.

Indeed very cold, but in an icy way that's not very mentholic. I get more of the mint (specifically spearmint), and the same snow note from Snow White, that creamy cold coconut/almond. Still a harsh alcoholic bite, but less sharply.

Err, this is making my skin BURN intensely. Burn/itch. My skin is reacting a bit visibly, but I've had other scents produce more redness - nothing has FELT this horrible. It feels exactly like it's eating into my flesh, strong acid-style (which I unfortunately have experienced).

I had to wash this off, as I reacted more strongly to it than any other blend ever - a full blown contact dermatitis. But the alcohol seemed to be burning off entirely to leave a spearmint and snow white creamy snow, a very simple but not unpleasant blend. It goes a little plastic on me like SW. Good throw.

In the decant: Plasticky and cold, cold enough to burn my nose

On my skin: The cold is intense, a deep chill and thankfully the plastic has mostly dissapated. It's definately a strong herbal or eucalyptus. Once it dries an almost, sweet creamy floral comes out, still covered by winter frost.

Overall, I like it. But even after more than a month the plasticky note is still there. I'm going to tuck my decant away and revisit this in the summer when I want to cool down.

Edited by sarandipitee

Imp: The BPAL snow note. Eucalyptus, a light mint and... snow. Yeah.

Wet: On the skin this acquires a creaminess that reminds me strongly of Snow White. In fact, this is very much like Snow White without the florals. It's a little unpleasant at first. Definitely makes the skin tingle but there is also a nose-tingling sharpness here.

Dry: A non-floral Snow White. Huh. It's actually a little creamy and warm on my skin. A nice skin-close sort of scent. Not cold but not overtly warm. Just a simple, clean sort of scent that I could wear anywhere.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I'll stick with Snow White for my chilly perfume needs. This is nice but too similar to merit hunting down a bottle. It might be a viable option for people who want to like Snow White but find it a little overwhelmingly floral.

This is awesome. It’s like a bracing blast of icy, minty coconut. As it dries down further there's also a certain creaminess to it though it retains its chilly nature. I think something in the lab’s snow note comes out coconutty on me (Snow White), which I don’t mind at all because I love coconut and never really thought of it as a wintry type scent till now, and that's left me very pleasantly surprised.

Edited by Invidiana

The "cold" part of the description is absolutely perfect. Hypothermia is definitely very very cold.

...but I bought it unsniffed because I wanted mint, and the reviews said mint! Alas, no mint on me. :( I have tried it three times and my right wrist always smells of soap. The left is actually quite nice, just, no mint. (why they're so drastically different I've no idea but Ded Moroz does it too)

I might keep a bit for summer but most, if not all, of the bottle is going to swaps. Back to searching for a mint-scent for me.

Doesn't smell even a hint of mint.

Is it just my wonky nose or does this smell just like Alien Invasion, minus the lime?

In Bottle: Cold. Mostly minty cold.

Wet on skin: I smell mint and eucalyptus.

Drydown (3 minutes): This is sweetening up a bit, like there's some vanilla in the background. But it's mostly minty.

Drydown (5 minutes): Sweet mint. The mint isn't very in your face, which is nice.

Overall Impression: I kind like this! It's not my usual thing, but it seems like a very nice scent to throw on when it's either very hot outside and I want to cool off, or when it's very cold outside and I just want to embrace it.

Like Snow-Flakes and Pink Snowballs, this is another scent that reminds me of Snow White - but with top notes of eucalyptus and mint and less vanilla/creaminess. Since Snow White is my favourite BPAL scent, and I love minty scents, this is something I'm glad to have in my collection. :)

Edited by TheIceMaiden

Initially I get a sort of cold mint but after a few minutes and for the duration this ends up smelling just like Snow White, which I love.

In imp: Cold and biting mint.

On skin: Stings a bit when wet! Pure mentholic, nose-tingling, cold and intense. This manages to be thin and minty-chill, but still sharp and intense; there's nothing insubstantial about this scent. Unfortunately, mints seem to lose their coldness on my skin, and Hypothermia is no different. Pretty much one-note mint, although there's something green in there that may be the herbals/eucalyptus that other reviewers have brought up. I can't detect any other notes.

Verdict: Hypothermia does resemble its name, but it doesn't quite work out on my skin. And I've discovered, through this blend and others, that I'm not fond of mint. For swaps.

An icy chill in a bottle. I don't know how Beth captured the biting cold and transferred it to a fragrance.

As it dries down it becomes a sweet mint, kind of like those buttery after dinner mints that melt in your mouth.

On the finish I get a soft vanilla, maybe a little amber (?) but still some mint. Very lovely over all.