Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
xoe

Gacela of the Dark Death

Terebinth pine, pitch, and clove.

This is for the 2014 version.

In the decant: All 3 notes in equal measure.

Wet: Each sniff brings a different note to the foreground.

The dry-down: Not sure, but I think that it's the clove that's turning a bit musky and powdery. The pine has retreated and the pitch has dried out. I don't remember the '09 version doing that; it was more like clove-scented woods, but not in a craft store way. Unisex but a tad disappointing.

2014 version!!

Very unusual, not a "perfumey" scent at all. It's strong and masculine, and I clearly smell the pine and cloves. Not really sure what pitch is supposed to smell like so I may or may not be getting that too.

As it dries, the pine fades a bit and the cloves take over. It's a very strong, true clove scent -- like I just opened up the spice jar and took a big whiff. That exact smell.

I like this but I'm not sure how much I would end up wearing it.

2014 version.

the biggest surprise for me was how bright and pretty this was. clove has a tendency to amp on me, but not here. instead I had a clear and luminous pine scent that wasn't at all cleanser-realted. just like a blast of evergreen resins turned into gorgeous strong perfume. :heart:

2014 Version

In the bottle: Pine and clove

Wet: I'm getting the pine and clove. There is also something else, which must be the pitch. I'm just not familiar with that note, so I'm not sure. It's not the best of pine scents. It's starting to remind me of cleaning products.

Dry: I'm really not sure about this. I don't know what I'm smelling for sure. I no longer get the pine or clove. I've got to say this isn't good and it's not working for me. Time to scrub this off. :(

I was really hoping to have liked this one.

I got to sample this with my friend as one of her decants.

On the wand, Gacela reminds me a lot of Przeczucie. A lot lot. It’s like a heavier version of it without the smoke, except for the smoky tone in the pitch. Same Terebinth note, perhaps.

On my skin, it’s similar but with a touch of clove. I was half-expecting a hammer of clove, so this is OK. As normal for my skin, the clove strengthens as it dries, but it never overrides the pine.

A weighty, foreboding forest scent in the vein of Przeczucie and Black Forest.

Pine in the bottle, with some clove on application. The pine starts to turn dusty, and then sour. The clove is completely gone. I guess "pitch" is not for me.

Very sharp pine, edging on to floor cleaner. There is a sweet musky-ness underneath and with the spicy clove this could be very nice, but the pine is too sharp on me here.

2016 version

I get a dark and lurking pine scent. It's mildly foreboding, like getting lost in the woods. It's just a very true pine scent with a touch of clove to give it a bit of oomph. It's simple, but it really packs a punch. I quite like it.

I'm not sure what year this is, but it's an Ajevie decant, so I'm guessing 2016. Terebinth is a big pine note, and wet it comes on really strong in association with the pitch. The clove starts to assert itself in drydown, and the pine softens considerably, as it always does on me, and then it's a lovely dark forest scent with some clove, which adds an almost fairy tale quality to the scent. An absolutely lovely outdoorsy unisex blend, though the wear length is only a couple of hours on me.

My decant is pretty aged, from 2014 I believe. So the scent is quite faint, but I’m getting a pretty blend of pine and clove. Not very dark or deathly at all, Gacela is surprisingly cheery and cozy I’d love to see it return so I could experience it in its fresh newness, cause I bet it’s lovely.

2016 version - I found this packed away and my notes when I bought it in 2016. I noted there was no clove.

And today I'm still not getting any clove unfortunately. On me, it's a pine SN. I have to be honest and say this is smelling like a very expensive cleaner. Despite that I'm really enjoying wearing this. I see others noted this being dark, but it's quite bright for me and really perked me up today. I don't think I'd be comfortable wearing this around others, but I'll use it instead as a pick-me-up when I'm working at home.

this is interesting and once again showcases the lab’s mastery of a 3 note blend. the clove is dominate for me in the bottle as well as on the skin, but somehow different and non foodie than most clove blends i’ve tried. the evergreens definitely streamline and compliment the spiciness without being very noticeable on their own for me. very well blended, and i would agree with other reviews calling it unisex. great throw and lasts a good 6 hours before starting to fade on me