Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers

Frost-limned, ice-bejeweled branches, scattered blood-red maple leaves, a few camellia petals, red peppers, and nacreous, multi-colored musks that shimmer like gently-beating cicada wings.

To me, this is a spicy aquatic floral. :) The camellia is sweet and light and fresh, given punch by the peppers. The first time I wore this, it actually seemed to irritate my nose a bit with its peppery spiciness, so I gave up on it. Now that I am revisiting it to review it, it's behaving itself better, so this may age decently. For all its spiciness, it does not have a lot of throw, and seems to wear off after a few hours.

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers unfolds like a scroll when I put it on. There's a cool breeze of mint, then dried leaves and sweetness. From the sweetness comes pepper! Just like pepper jelly. For a while every different note is separate. Then musk rises up and it all merges into a single delicate chord, impossible to categorize.

This is a poem in scent. A new and wonderful experience for my nose and my mind.

In the imp: no red peppers, but I do smell something floral.
Wet on skin: hmm, that’s interesting, I smell green salad peppers here, as well as camellia.
Dry on skin: a greenish, grassy note, salad peppers (what an intriguing note!) and a floral note that I’m sure is camellia. Indeed, the whole scent has a feel of salad about it; I swear there’s lettuce or some other green leafy wet note to it as well. The peppers smell more like green peppers than red ones, it’s lacking the sweetness I get from red peppers (and I eat loads of those). Not at all spicy peppers, these are mild juicy salad peppers. The camellia is a little too strong, and I can’t really smell the maple leaves or the frosty branches, and nor can I smell the musky notes. In fact, the strongest note I smell here is, sadly, soap. The whole thing seems to be turning straight to soapy salad on me.
After a while: soap, soap and more soap. Where are my peppers? Where are my delicate snows and maple leaves? Where’s the musk? I think the snowy branches have turned bad as well. It’s just turning to a soapy and nondescript mess on me. Not even the musks come up to save the day.
Verdict: the best thing about this scent for me is the red pepper note. Though not like red peppers per se, this smells like green salad peppers, unripe red peppers, sweet and juicy and wet. This whole scent has a fresh salad thing going on, but there are also floral and airy and frosty notes in the mix. But sadly this all turns to soap and bitter greenery, the floral notes also don’t work out. It’s a shame because this had a lot of potential and sounded so intriguing!
Emoticon rating: icon_sad.gif
Is it a keeper?
Nope.
If you like this, try: Green Party, Planting Moon, Snow Maiden, Vinland, Shivering Boy

Not at all like I expected it to be. It's a green scent, and early on in the review thread someone said it was more a spring time scent than a winter one, and I agree. It is soft and green in the opening, with a hint of aquatic floral. I don't get any red pepper--well, maybe a ghost of red pepper, as there is something slightly spicy in the sillage.

It's ok, but not a kind of scent I prefer.

Interesting scent, it definitely smells more like a coming-of-spring scent rather than a winter scent. I don't really get the pepper note but the maple and camellia is strong, and the aquatics give the scent a breezy, crisp-but-not-cold air effect. I like it, but I don't think I need a bottle of this, and with it lasting 5+ hours on my skin I doubt I'll ever use up my decant anyway.

The start is absolutely yummy - peppery and creamy, but it dries up a little too sweet for my taste. I may have to try this again though.

I really just have to scream to the heavens how much I LOVE this scent. It feels like the scent I've been looking for all my life!

It's me, this scent is me in a bottle and I almost cried when I first wore it!

I have scoured the forums for a scent that smells like vegetables, as I love the smells of freshly chopped peppers and squash.

This is in this scent. I smell the vegetal musk of freshly cut, spicy, red peppers. It might be the camellia, but it has a very perfumey quality that keeps it from reminding me of food. It reminds me of a kitchen (my kitchen lol) but it's not so vegetal that it's foody.

The red leaves give this some warmth and earhtiness, their color with the red peppers definitely make me see this as a 'red' scent.

The 'snow limned branches' really don't come out for me. Maybe in the dry down there is a hint of forest in this, but otherwise no wood. The snow might be the freshness this has while wet but it doesn't make this cold.

Overall this is just a delightful, spicy, musky, red scent. This is hands down my number one now.