Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Bluebeard

A scent swirling with dark rage, unbridled jealousy, and murderous intent. Violet, lavender, white musk and vetiver.

In the Imp (ITI): On first sniff, I quickly put the bottle down and walked away. I don't know what it was about the first impression that turned me off, but the notes should have been appealing. Vetiver and really sharp lavender on second sniff. It's overpowering.

Wet: It's wet, musky, and slightly moldering, which must be the vetiver paired with the musk. I get a little lavender, but it reminds me of lavender dusk.

Dry: It's much better dried - Strong violet and musk with a hint of smoky lavender.

Wet: Whoa violets! It smells very blue indeed.

Drydown: Soapy, with lavender at the forefront and the violet fading to the back. There is a deep roundness to this scent, which I suspect is the vetiver’s way of making its presence known amongst the paler notes. It reminds me of a bubble bath. Or maybe the taste of bubbles actually, lol.

Dry: Very herbal lavender and bubbles. A bit of sweet and sharp violet too. While I can’t detect it outright, I suspect the vetiver is keeping the blend from becoming too high-pitched. Soapy and sharp.

4 out of 10 bones

A very dark, earthy scent with the violets wafting in it. Made me think of damp soil and the underlying violet's scent made me think of its symbolism (modesty or faithfulness, deep love, spilt blood, and even mourning) from various cultures. I like it because of these contrasting thoughts where while it is dark and heady, it also has a sweetness to it.

In the bottle: Yikes! Violets, violets, and more violets. I've just been punched in the face with floral scent. Here's hoping the floral tones down on the skin.

Wet: Holy Moly, the violets are even stronger now. I'm also getting a sickly, sweet scent.

Dry: The violets are still dominant with lavender peeking out. I think that perhaps violets don't go with my chemistry and they're giving me a headache. Way too sweet and flowery.

On my skin, this isn't a masculine scent at all. The scent didn't tone down which is a shame. On a scale of 1-5 I give this a 1. Glad I got the imp for free with an order. Time to scrub this scent off. :rantrave:

Holy crap! Like others have said, upon opening the bottle: UGH. Not a pleasant smell at all. Wet on me it smelled like stale cigarette smoke, not a great first impression. It's drying down now, and the scent has mellowed somewhat. I'm getting the lavender and what I think is vetiver (not really familiar with vetiver on its own). But it's definitely herbal and sharp and... not really an inviting scent. I immediately thought "I can wear this when I want people to stay away from me."

Not sure if that's an endorsement, but there it is!

EDIT: after several hours, this has softened into something floral, slightly sweet, ozone-y. I'm certain the ozone scent is from the white musk; I get the same effect from other perfumes that have white musk in them. Anyway, it's quite nice now, but did it ever take a long time to get here, unfortunately.

Edited by Lani

In the imp and wet, it's very harsh, bitter, herbal, astringent. The vetiver is a bit noisy and abrasive in this one, and the violet starts off as a very green version of itself. I'm also getting some of that stale cigarette smoke smell, and if I sniff really hard the lavender's there. Something about the overall effect reminds me of very sharp aftershave.

Completely changes on drydown! Mostly a sweet, soft violet with a hint of light musk. The vetiver has quieted down a lot to a vague earthiness. I don't get much throw, but it's pretty!

Aha, that's what I'm not keen on in here, vetiver! I couldn't put my finger on it without reading the notes (needless to say I'm not a fan of vetiver). From the imp it's harsh. Harsh and angry. On drydown, I'm not getting any lavender but MAN is this amping up on my skin. I can't even smell any of the other skin tests I was doing just now, from afar anymore. Calm down matey.

Violets and vetiver, mostly.

Edited by Cali

Sour violet and vetiver. I truly feel that one day there will be a violet scent that I enjoy on my skin. This - not it. *sigh* (as a side note, the whisps of lavender I get from this are lovely - true herbal lavender).

To start, vetiver came rushing forward, punched me in the nose and then left. Seriously, I can barely detect anything beyond a faint lavender and a little violet after the whallop vetiver pulled. It's soft, demure, and almost silent now after around half an hour of wear time. It really just wasn't meant for me.

This was heavily vetiver at first, but after around 15 minutes of drying do I finally get the violet and lavender. It's lovely and sweet, started out like a sharp harsh cologne and now it's gorgeous. Definitely a morpher on me.

Not sure I'll need a bottle, but pleasantly surprised with how well this turned out, once I got past that vetiver wet stage.

In the imp: A lot of rather sharp lavender, with a little violet smoothing it out, a little white musk brightening it, and a little vetiver making it even more earthy. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's a lavender single note on me, sharp and herbal, not tempered by any other thing in this world. My husband says I smell nice right now, for what it's worth (unsolicited comment, so I figure it's worth mentioning in the review). As it dries, however, the violet comes out, softening the scent and making it almost creamy. 

Ultimately, this is a very nice violet scent on me. The lavender and vetiver aren't really except to give it a bit of backbone and grounding. It's fairly similar to -- but lighter than -- Fallen is on me.