Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hypothermya

Spirit

Spirit

no posted description

First Impression

This smells like lilac and cinnamon. Which is a weird combination. And maybe a bit of honeysuckle. It reminds me of Chimera, but more ethereal and less...well, less sugar cookie. It's a very sweet, yet crystaline scent. At times it smells purple, other times red, and other times clear, if that makes any sense at all.

Wearing It

On my skin, this turns into a scent similar to Cancer or some other wispy watery lilac blend, but with these little shocks of cinnamon. Kinda reminds me of a little girl who has been playing with her mother's perfume, only to get her hands on a bag of cinnamon candy.

And, maybe my nose and mind are playing games on me, but the more this mellows out the more I want to say that I smell jasmine. Eh. There's just this lingering resemblance to Old New Orleans, and a floral undertone that has more body than the lilac does.

I have to say that I was expecting something a bit more wispy and less tangible smelling, but this suits me just fine. It's unfortunate that it smells so strongly of cinamon, since my boyfriend abhors that scent. I adore Chimera, and I'm already having trouble finding times to wear that scent... So I guess I'll probably swap this one in order to find a scent I can wear more often.

(I recently aquired this 5ml in a swap from lorajc, and since I was unable to find any description from the Lab's website, and no mention of it in the Up and Coming previews, I'm assuming that this is an LE or a blend from their Twilight Alchemy Lab oils.... But since it says "Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab" on the label, I'm just posting this review in the LE section. If the mods feel that this is in the wrong place, please move it.)

Edited by hypothermya

BPALSpirit.jpg

In the bottle

This is a golden colored blend.

It smells of honeysuckle in the bottle.

On

Initialy I smell honeysuckle, and seconds later here comes the cinnamon.

No one is stronger, both being equal and nicely balanced.

Note: I agree with above poster, It does smell like there is lilac in here but I'm not sure, it's hard to smell to seperate it out because of the honeysuckle, both florals being somewhat sweet. And the cinnamon is not leting me pick anything out. It does remind me somehwat of Chimera as well, but this one being stronger to me.

30 minutes

It almost has a fennel-like scent because of the cinnamon but after around 30 minutes when it's completely dry the cinnamon backs off a bit so the floral can come through more, which is good.

Throw:

Yes, more than average.

Scent category:

Floral/Spicy

Summary

I love spicy blends and I don't usually get to try a spicy floral. This is nice. Not what I expected at all though. I expected lavender, more as "the ethers" would smell, whatever that means. It's a nice surprise though, just different.

It's a different blend most definitely, I've not smelled any bpal blend like this as really with the exception of Chimera.

Purchase again?

Yes. I would use this as a "working" blend (maybe as the 5th element) primarily but I would also wear this, but only sometimes.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

This to me has coconut and lilac. Which make it two of my death notes. The coconut is soft and watery, which complements the lilac. There is something floral sweet here, and I wouldn't immediately guess honeysuckle. As it dries, it tends toward the creamy.

In some ways, this makes me think of an early version of Shango because of the watery coconut/creaminess (reminiscent to shea, but without it actually smelling like shea). Pretty, soothing. It's very 'beach' in mind.

ETA: I think the decant and the bottle smell different because I am really getting on wet the cinnamon and what smells like dragon's blood resin. It's spicy and then it starts turning watery as it dries, and I get other floral notes like either lilac or honeysuckle. I can still smell what I'm dubbing the DBR because it smells like DBR to me. The vibe is totally New Orleans.

Edited by zankoku_zen

I know this is a necrobump but I've been going through my stash to winnow out the keepers and the sellers and retested this scent which I got (maybe from you, ZZ?) a little while back ... it had been on my wishlist but I figured it was extremely unlikely to ever surface so I was ecstatic to get my hands on a half-full bottle (cobalt and beautiful) but I never reviewed it so will rectify that now.

Also, it was the few descriptions in this thread that made me want it ... one weekend with, clearly, no life at all I went through every single review thread to put together the ultimate wishlist. Lilac and cinnamon? Oh yes.

In the bottle: Oddly, I got no throw from this in the bottle.

Wet: My first thought was that it smelled like fruity bubblegum, which would normally be a no-go for me, but I also remembered that when I tested this when I got it I really loved it so I waited it out.

Drydown: OMGOMGOMGOMG. SO nothing like it was when wet! Absolutely gorgeous floral (and yeah, probably lilac but there's something else lush and delicious as well), plus that slightly spicy-sweet note of cinnamon that keeps it from being cloying on me.

Overall: This really is a fabulous, fabulous scent. Such a splendid marriage of floral and sweetly spicy. The fact that it remained unreleased leads me to believe that Beth may have come up with something else that was similar, and went with that instead. If so, would love to know what it is/was.

SO a keeper here. Sorry, kids.