Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

it smells like my ex boyfriend's leather jacket, complete with his sandalwoody cologne. warm fuzzies for the memories, but it's a very aggressive perfume.

Mmmm,leather and musk. The smell of a well-worn and much-loved leather jacket. The scent is rather masculine (in my opinion) but i've worn it a few times anyhow. There's just something comforting about the bottled essence of leather jacket : P

To me it smells like Vanilla, I don't know why, I've gotten the most compliments lately with this one. It feels very feminine, but reminds me of snake oil.

Wicked, sexy, and deviant. Those are the best words to describe Loviatar. It is a scent reminiscent of thigh-high leather boots, whips, and hot wax. There is nothing coy or coquettish about this scent, and it is certainly not for the faint of heart. The notes are amber, musk, and myrrh, which on their own seem as though they would make a deep, warm, sensual perfume. Loviatar, however, is punctuated by the distinct devilish scent of leather. It truly should be the choice blend of dominatrixes worldwide! I bloody love this blend, and I love the way it makes me feel.

This is a difficult one. I have a strong memory of this scent from my early teenage years, I think it was tar soap what I used back then and this smells of it. Strongly. BUT:

I can also smell the concept Elizabeth has been trying to capture. There is a strong, sharp top/starting note, which smells exactly like the slap of leather would (it's not just leather). And it smells a bit, well, painful, and I'm not sure whether to love or hate it (probably a bit of both). Then a softer, warmer smell comes out, while the 'pain' smell goes a bit softer. Sometimes I could hardly smell it, and then suddenly I could get the strong, leather-y smell again, as if the places where the whip has hit you become sore again. It's a very heavy scent.

I can't beleive how well the concept has been captured in a blend, and eventhough it's not a favourite because of the tar soap association and the sharpness, it's a stunning piece of work.

What are all you people talking about??

Warm, yes.

Sensual, yes.

Sexy as ALL HELL? GOOD GOD YES!!!

But leather? I just don't smell it for some reason.

I know I keep doing this (that was me as "guest" who commented that Venom smelled like Christian Dior's Poison, I couldn't get the hang of posting...I am such a dunder-head)...

but like I was saying, I know I keep doing this, but this is the second scent i have smelled that reminds me of a classy, expensive perfume...this time around I want to say that Loviator smells

like Bijan, I think it was called.

Make no mistake though, this fragrance has alot more depth, and is certainly darker...but I am thinking that they must have alot of the same notes in common? could be, right?

I'm not crazy, right?

But still, no leather :P

Initial Impression:

Sensual and stinging, like pleasure twisted by pain.

After Wearing It:

I can definitely smell the leather here, but it isn't as dominant as I would have expected it to be from the way it smelled wet. It's feminine in a very "kitten with a whip" kind of way. Vaguely sweet and smoky notes lace through the leather bringing up an image of a swanky club with great leather barstools and couches, smoke (from a machine rather than stale cigarette stinch) and a cute guy at the end of the counter. It's sensual, but not soft. It's edgy, sexy, smart and very modern.

Final Thoughts:

This isn't a scent I would have chosen on my own, but I'm very glad Elizabeth included it in my order. It's a fab fragrance for nights when you're out prowling with the girls.

I have a new favourite!!!

This is the BUSINESS

This perfume makes me think of the phrase "slap & tickle" the slap is the sharp undercurrent of leather I get wafting the whole day through with the "tickle" of the ambery spice & softness lingering & teasing along with it.

Think the boy will go ga-ga for this one! Wear it with a leather corset!

This is sooooo me it's uncanny. I want a vat of it to bathe in!!

best news- while most BPAL smells have great longevity on me, this is as strong now at nearly 11p.m as it was 12 hours ago when I grabbed the swap package from seirona out of my letterbox & dabbed it on before heading to work! Uber potent is Loviatar!

Has not faded one iota!

I love this scent! Unfortunately, on me it smells very masculine. I loved the way it smelled but I couldn't stop thinking how much better it would smell on a guy!

I accidentally ended up swapping for two imps of this. I gave one to a guy friend and I'm keeping the other for those days when I have meetings with the big dogs at work and need that extra boost. I work for a Japanese company and while they have come a long way, women are still considered not equal to their male counterparts...but I'm working on it and they pay me great money!

Lisa in Austin

When I first smelled Loviatar, I instantly fell in love. I was reminded of my old leather jacket, worn and smelling of patchouli oil. It's also a very erotic scent, and it instantly boosted my confidence. I applied some to my pulse points and went to class, expecting some positive feedback. My professer walked into the room and said, "Does anyone else smell baby powder?", and my spirit dropped a bit. Then I thought, well, he's probably not talking about me; the scent I'm wearing is supposed to be the manifestation of female sadomasochistic lust, not bloody baby powder!! Unfortunately, I went up to him to ask him a question about something, and he said, "Oh, YOU'RE the one who smells!" and I literally crawled under the table. Maybe I applied a bit too much, we'll see...but I think I'll just switch back to Snake Oil for a bit; that one's fool proof...

afterthought: I take it all back, this really *is* the manifestation of female sadomasochistic lust. (tee hee) :D

I've had a lot of luck with this oil lately :P , and for some reason the baby powder isn't nearly as prominent anymore...maybe because I started using less or my nose just adjusted...either way, I'm very, very, very happy with this scent now. :D

Edited by Effluvia

I've tried many BPAL scents, but this is the only one I *had* to get in the largest size. I would have never picked it on my own, but Beth was sweet enough to include it as a sample with a recent order.

For me, this scent is evokes a strong feeling of nostalgia. The smell of old, worn leather and musk reminds me of my adolescent days. When I wear it, it feels like I am being embraced in a warm hug. I wear it during the day and even before going to bed.

I love it so much that I make my boyfriend wear it, too, and it smells even more fabulous on him. Deep and sensual. Body chemistry definately makes it 2 different scents for a man and a woman.

Received my order of imps today, and tried Loviatar out first.

It reminds me of a really great library, with a stone fireplace, and a sleek wolfhound pacing the room.

I got Loviatar as an extra with my last order. I probably never would have ordered it on my own, but I'll try pretty much any scent at least once. It started out as one of the most fascinating BPAL scents yet, but I had the same misfortune as Effluvia and it quickly became more and more powdery, rapidly progressing to baby powder.

Being a Finn, I was naturally interested in Loviatar (not to mention the notes and the description that sounded so good!), and when I opened the bottle I wasn't dissappointed!

My brother, who was present when I gleefully unwrapped the swap, actually sniffed the perfume before I could, then closed the cap. Then opened the cap again and inhaled. Almost put the cap back on and sniffed it again. He normally doesn't take such a keen interest in my perfumes, not even my BPAL! I knew I had something special here by the way he behaved.

In the bottle: Dark amber and leather. What's surprising is how much softer and fainter the perfume is compared to the images I had. But this is actually a good thing!

Drooling at this point. Got to wear some right now!

On skin: Oh! I adore this! The scent warms up fast and becomes a tad sweeter, like there's a drop of vanilla hiding here somewhere. The leather is still there and smoke too (like someone above said, smoke from a machine, not from cigarettes. This is the sweet, hot smoke of breaking tabus, not a nasty ashtray smell).

The black amber and red musk notes become more obvious. My skin amplifies amber scents, so this is very dark amber on me with leather, musk and smoke. Sooo good.

Drydown: Still the same, just softer. This is probably an odd thing to say, but Loviatar is a "skin scent", at least on me. I can smell it wafting up from my cleavage every now and then, and it's definately there when I smell my arms so it's not fading, it's just subtle. A quality I really appreciate.

As a scent, Loviatar reminds me of Aureus. But this Aureus has done tequila shots and gone clubbing wearing leather with D rings. :D I think she's planning on doing things her mom warned her about. Or him! This is a scent for both/all genders! I can imagine how gooo-ooo-oood it would be on a man. *down girl!*

I got Loviatar this morning, and I've been wearing leather all day. What a gorgeous scent!

I'd buy a bottle, but I already have one! Lucky me! :P

ETA: Unfortunately, Loviatar is fickle and did the "Sin" thing on me. That's to say that after I adored it quite awhile, something in my brain got switched off and now the scent makes me gag. :D I honestly don't know why. There's just this sweet, overly round, slightly soapy but not quite, musky smell that turns my stomach.

My heart is broken, but alas, that's what Loviatar likes best.

-Milk

Edited by MilkAndSugar

First Impression: Musk and leather. I never smelled anything like this. Vaguely masculine.

Second Impression: No, not masculine, but Dominatrix. Loviatar calls to mind a Dominatrix, clad in her finest leather, in her dungeon with her whips.

Final Analysis: This smells really good on me, it's very empowering. I think I'll wear this when I go see Catwoman!

Edited by andrabell

I would never, ever have picked this for myself, but it came as a free sample with my order. :P That said, I'm very glad it did. I would never have tried anything this different from my normal fruity/floral fix. That said:

Initial- I had a hard time discerning exactly what I thought of this on the initial sniff- it's a confusing fragrance. My nose kept searching, trying to determine what was in it, but it never settled on anything. I remained confused.

On skin- this warms very, very quickly and what I smell most is a jacked-up version of baby powder. It's powdery, but warmer and spicier, with an extra something that smells a bit like leather.

Dry down- seems much sweeter to me. More amber notes appear to come through. This is a beautiful scent. Not so fond of the initial whiff, but really enjoy getting wafts of it all day.

This is incredibly, undeniably sexy.

The leather note doesn't scream out "leather" - but, as so many others have said, it does remind me of a dominatrix, a naughty girlie... it's something that could be easily worn by either sex but is not in any way genderless. I think this is an unabashedly womanly sexy smell when worn by a female, and I'll bet it's equally unabashedly manly sexy on a man. This is bringing out the Inner Tart in me, and I am going crazy over it. The balance of the oils is perfect, nothing is too strong or overwhelming, and the scent has stayed true over the course of several hours. I will definitely need a larger bottle of this.

There's nothing I can say about this fragrance which hasnt been already said above. This scent is sexy, sharp and devilish, you have to try Loviatar to believe her. When I finish the imp I'll be ordered a bigger bottle.

The wet version of this is well, stinky. I don’t like it, at all. It is strong, sharp, and unpleasant. Once it dries it morphs into a much softer, sweeter scent, with a strong powder aspect. The sharpness never completely fades though, it is there hanging out in the background.

I can see where people are getting the sexy, leather, smoke, and dominatrix images from but this oil simply doesn’t evoke the same response from me. The older it gets the nicer and sexier it smells, in fact it is quite sexy in the end but the final product would have to be the most amazing smell I had ever smelled to endure the aging process. Obviously I don’t think it is.

~Roja

I put off trying Loviatar for the longest time. It smells so sharp in the vial that I think I was a little scared of it :P

I agree with what most people said, it morphs and mellows out very quickly once applied, and becomes unexpectedly powdery.

Still, I am afraid this is a tad too woody and leathery for me. I smell like an upscale new car with leather seats and genuine wood door panels, and even though this is an enjoyable scent per se, I am not sure I want to smell like that.

Oh well. No new car, no leather, no dungeon and no whips for me, then :D

ULTRA sexy.

cinnamon.

Leather.

hot. hot. hotness.

rubber.

And something that tingles my brain.

Like really aware sex.

fabulous.

(edited for bad typing.)

Edited by glampyre

at first: leather, but with a pinch of sweetness and a bit of spice. very dark, very interesting.

on: hmmm...sweet and leathery. very interesting. i like the leather in this one a lot more than in de sade.

1 hour later: even sweeter, with the leather making the scent interesting. this is wonderful.

2 hours later: wow. this is still really strong. i really like this.

overall: this lasted very well. it isn't the uncomfortable leather of de sade; it's a sexy kind of leather. i really like this one.

Oh, heck yeah! Leather, baby! Reminds me of the smell of a sexy new leather jacket, or a well-preserved car from the '70s with leather interior, or a swank retro-style bachelor's lounge with leather sofas and pipe tobacco lingering in the air. Doesn't give me dominatrix vibes really, but does make me feel relaxed and sultry and hip.

In fact, on me it smells rather like Jolly Roger, which has its fair share of leather too--but Jolly Roger is more about the salt air and the rum, whereas Loviatar is about (did I mention?) the leather, and is for the city-slicker swingers rather than the pirates. Yummm to both! Two thumbs up!

Loviatar

For some reason I seem to have trouble with blends with leather, I can't smell it :P I wasn't too surprised with Severin as there were lots of other smells going on but I had high hopes with this one.

On application I do get a sharp almost tangy note but I can't identify it as leather.

As time goes on the amber dominates and there's a musky smokiness left behind.

This is nice, but didn't live up to my expectations.

Loviatar

I got this in a one-way swap from bigeyedgirl, who sent it without asking for anything in return since it was 50% full. Thanks, bigeyedgirl!

Preconceived notions:

I’m intrigued by the leather scents, and this one has amber in it. I like amber the incense, and am curious as to how the oil will work out.

In the vial:

Wow, pungent herbs and a slight peppery note. Very dark, bitter green. I’m not getting any leather or amber...yet.

On me:

Ah, there’s the leather... I’m still getting the herbal note, but it’s gradually transforming into leather... The nice, new suede coat kind of leather. Mmm...

A few minutes later: I’m definitely getting the amber. And, wow, it *is* spicy. When I was reading the Blood Amber reviews, and people kept saying that the amber was spicy, which balanced out the sweet dragon’s blood, I thought they had it backwards. For me, amber’s always been sweet, and dragon’s blood is usually (well, when I like it :) ) spicy. But I am getting amber now, with the leather, and it is spicy. It’s still sweet, but spicy too. Very nice. I’ll wear this one more often :) I really like the way the amber sweetens the leather, too, making it a more elegant scent, not quite as harsh. A harsh leather would be good, too, though, so I’m not giving up on De Sade just yet :)

More time: It’s balancing even more - the spicy/sweet amber and the harsh leather - the leather keeps softening, and the amber keeps coming out more and more.

After an hour and more: Nothing has really changed, except that I don’t like it as much. It needs something warm and soft, because this combination is headache-inducing if you keep it on for too long. I can’t think of what it is, but it’s too sweet and too sharp at the same time, maybe like a leather-amber version of a Jolly Rancher. I like the leather and I like the amber, and at first when they blend, it’s really nice, but over time, I just can’t do it - they are bringing the worst out in each other, sadly.

I *can* however think of good uses for it in certain occasions.

Like sex. It would smell good then. So, I’ll be keeping it.