Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ipb

Loviatar

The Finnish Goddess of Agony, Torment and the joy found in inflicting pain on others. The Mistress of Torture, she has transformed in the modern era into the patron Goddess of Dominatrixes. The slap of slick, hot leather punctuates the warm, sensual embrace of black amber, red musk and dark, lascivious myrrh.

I didn't think of even trying this but someone had an offer I couldn't refuse and I am pretty much addicted to Goth Rosary's Wicked which I bought because I am waiting for my BPAL order of De Sade to arrive.

Loviatar is great! It is like De Sade but it has a spicy kick that tingles my nose when I sniff it as it is first put on. I love it! :P It makes my head full of lovely nasty thoughts!

I am also going to be exploring both Iago and Dragon's Hide...leather, leather, leather! I love leather scents!

It is amazing how spicy this oil is since I don't see any spices notes listed. My skin normally can't do myrrh, Anubis for one was not kind to me, but this is truly special. I'll wear it when De Sade might be a bit much, Loviatar is the femme version of De Sade, no doubts about that!

Not only did this oil jump into my top 22, but also into my signature. An amazing feat!

I never got the leather smell...is this what leather smells like? :P

In the imp: Powerful, musky and captivating.

After dry down: Sexy! This is not a "wear to work" scent but I am wearing it so off to work I go! This is dark and the amber is faint.

Eight hours: I still smell this. It reminds me of a dim lit room that has quiet music and lit candles. This could easily be for a man but I am stingy and I am not sharing. The amber and musk are still very present.

it didn't really smell like leather at all to me. i couldn't pick out a single note in the whole thing. all i know is that it made me think of shaving soap and brush and straight razor and strop. i'm not sure it even smelled like those things, but that's what it made me think of.

definitely masculine, and definitely confusing, but i like it.

In the bottle, I can smell the musk and what I think might be the myrrh. And maybe a hint of leather as well. It's good, but not something that really grabs my attention right away.

On me, it morphs a lot... the lusty musk scent makes itself known. It's definitely strong, definitely dominating. It's hard for me to pick out the other scents, but it swirls together in a heady way, making itself quite known.

After a few more minutes, it's musky leather, and quite intoxicatingly sexy. It's screaming 'seduction' and 'bondage' at me, mmm.

I think I'll be keeping this one :P

First sniff from the bottle- MMmmmm....pure LEATHER.

After 10 minutes- Leather! This smell's like the Wilson's leather store! I was afraid to try this at first because it has red musk in it, which I despise. Either I don't smell it or it is blended so well it is not offending my nose like it usually does. The amber and myrrh are in the background. Not too strong. The amber plays with the leather and makes this just a bit more sweet than the other leather blends. Like a feminine leather as opposed to the masculine leather in Jolly Rodger.

After 30 minutes- I liked this enough that I slathered myself in it before the husband and I went out last night. I held my wrist up for him to smell me, thinking I was all sexy smellin'.......and he HATED it. I got vetoed! He wrinkled his nose up and said "Ewwww! What is that? You really like that smell??! You smell like rank baby powder!" I had to wash it off. He hated it that much.

Summery- Loviatar, I loved you but my man hates you. Sorry to say we cannot be friends. I am keeping the imp though. Maybe I can blend it with something else to make it less offensive to my sweetie's nose.

this is NOT a shy scent. this is 'hi, yeah, i'm over here. and i'm sexy and can kick your ass. wanna see?". and well... i'm just not that aggressive. except for when i'm a pirate, but that's completely different, i swear!

this one went into the swap pile; it's an intriguing scent, but it deserved to go to someone who would appreciate it more than me.

Initial Sniff: Oh my. This is SEXY. In the vial, I smell The leather and musk.

Wearing: This warms up on my skin - the leather and musk remain, but the amber lends its glow and the myrrh starts to sweeten. This is freakin' gorgeous. It lasts as this sweeter, warmer version of the scent in the vial ALL DAY.

Final Impressions: Beautiful, sexy, and strong.

I have a new favorite!

In bottle: A very warm scent. I do not smell leather but I can pick up on the myrrh and musk. Its a very dangerous scent that I can not wait to try.

Wet on wrist: Ah, there's the leather! This is very powerful but not in the smell kinda way. It's a dark, sexy powerful that makes me want to put on the shortest skirt I own and walk outside.

Dry on wrist: What happend to the myrrh and musk? And leather? I smell like sandlewood. I've gone from dark and sexy to downright mysterious. I love sandlewood and therefor love this smell.

loviator.jpg

A very sophisticted fragrance which lasts a long time. The smell of leather really seems familiar to me but not as leather, a case of not putting the name with the fragrance. Maybe I am scent hallucinating, but I think I smell dirt (as in Earth). Goes well with leather.

I think that Loviatar would go well with other BPAL's too. I want to try to put it with London, and get a roses and Loviatar-style leather thing going.

Attractive and resinous but not incense-like, it's a serious woman scent in my opinion.

Edited by olympia301

Hmm. Getting this at the beginning of summer isn't all that useful, is it? :P

I haven't gotten the bubble gum scent I get from Leather a lot, so this is a good thing.. Definitely a very sexy smell. 2 of the 4 ingredients listed in this blend are pretty much new to me (black amber and red musk), and I think those are the strongest parts, of course.. It's very rich and deep, and did I say sexy? Oh. I did. well, anyways.

I would love wearing this in Fall and Winter.. possibly in spring, but I think it's far to heavy for Summer, alas.

(actually, later, I think I did get wafts of the bubblegum scent, but it was intermitant and rather hidden, so it was all good anways.. kind of adds an interesting twist, kind of like it does in Perversion.)

Sometimes red musk takes over on me or smells kind of weird and tangy, but it's working well in Loviatar. I really like the Lab's leather note. The black amber and myrrh are making this incredibly deep and a little spicy.

This is a very dark, powerful, and sexy blend. Not for everyday wear, but I'll definitely keep my imp around.

edit: My boyfriend decided to play a trick on me by putting this on without my knowledge and then seeing if I would notice. He had a good laugh when he saw my sniffing around, trying to determine where that good smell was coming from. I didn't recognize it as Loviatar on him. It seemed lighter and sweeter on his skin, and more of the leather came out. The red musk also smelled better on him, less thick and musty like on me. Loviatar initially made me think "sexy woman," but after smelling it on my boyfriend, I would say that it is also entirely male-appropriate.

Edited by nineveh

In the imp, this is very strong leather and musk, slightly sweet, spicy and dark. After putting it on, the leather and spiciness overwhelmed me and I couldn’t stop sneezing. It just wasn’t me and I had to wash it off. :P

On the other hand, my fiancé wore this and it smells lovely on him, like when we walk past Wilson’s Leather store at the mall. He really enjoys this so it’s not a total loss.

:P This is warm, spicy; a simply gorgeous cloud of myrrh and amber.

(I didn't even want to try this imp on my skin. I just opened it to smell it, and I swiped the wand across my nose. :D So I rubbed my nose on my hand and went off to wash my face, lol.)

Unfortunately, I'm not getting any leather. I love the scent by itself, but...I wanted leather! Maybe I need to get an imp of De Sade to layer with it. The "Ooh, leather, dominatrix" chain of thought is what drove me to Loviatar in the first place.

Maybe I'd have more luck with Wanda (or Whip, or Perversion...I want to try them all anyways.)

Gosh, it's such a gorgeous scent. There's a tangy bite to it—spicy goodness—but *sob* no leather!

Edit: I am officially jealous of everyone who loves this scent.

I wanted to love it--I was all ready to love it--but *sob* it turned into "Old lady addicted to pot" on me. :D

It reminds me of disinfectant and bad perfume. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but I had The Boy sniffing me and saying, "Oh my Lord! I smelled a perfume in Spencer's that smelled just like you. What was it called? Oh yeah, Man on Fire." Haha, yeah. Thanks.

Then, later, I was sniffing myself and I whined, "I smell like old lady!" He looked at me and laughed and said, "Yeah, I wasn't going to mention anything, but now that you brought it up, yes, you do."

So Loviatar is out, as well as Snake Oil. *sigh*

Edited by termite_of_justice

Wet: Leather with slight spice

Drydown If only leather actually smelled like this! It's creamy and rich and has that leather smell without the...well, I've always smelled this undertone when I've walked into leather stores, a 'newness' undertone that I just don't like. Loviatar doesn't have this, though, which makes it even more sexy.

Keeping the imp!

Oro

In the bottle: First whiff, spicy/leathery. I like it a lot.

Initial application: Here comes the amber! Then the leather! Leather and amber blow up together! This is a huge fragrance.

Dry-down: Still strong leather and amber, with the myrrh and musk giving a bit of a spicy undertone. This reminds me a great deal of DSH Celestial Smoke, only with leather added.

Five hours later: This one isn't mellowing or morphing a bit -- it has inordinate staying power.

People who sniffed this on me generally reacted with exclaimations, but not negative ones. It kicks serious butt, and I'll probably retest Loviatar again on a brisk autumn day, so see how it responds to my autumnal body chemistry.

valentina :P

Revised: It wasn't a brisk autum day, but it was a 75 degree day instead of 95 degree day. I thought I'd slap on some Loviatar for the jollies of it, and sure 'nuf, the cooler weather changed the dry-down of the fragrance. The leather was softer and the dry-down was sweet and spicier. It's without question a cooler-weather scent for me. It's on the "buy a bottle" list now!

Edited by valentina

I really had to warm up to Loviatar. The first time I tried it I wasn't wild about it, but I didn't hate it either. I felt it had potential so I kept it around and brought it out once in a while when I was just lounging around to see if my impression of it would change. It's grown on me, alot. I can see this one going into heavy rotation once the weather cools down (it's way to dark and heavy for a summer scent, or a daytime scent for that matter).

On me Loviatar is all amber and myrrh. No leather and barely any musk. It is slightly powdery, which I think was what put me off at first, but not over-poweringly so. A little sweet with a foresty/evergreen undertone. The myrrh is smokey and perfect, it really rounds out the amber.

This is a definate night time prowling scent. Its dark, sexy and powerful, and while I think it would probably smell fabulous on a man it's got a strange femininity about it.

In the bottle: I get a hint of leather, but mostly musk and amber. This is good, as I don't like smelling like leather, even though I do love the smell.

First on: It's all blending together to where it's hard to pick out a single note. I really like it the way it is now, it's sexy & almost slutty, but not too dark or heavy for me yet.

Drydown: This is definitely a lot of leather. It's very sexy in a way I didn't know leather could be on a woman. It certainly got both dark and heavy, which is so different from 30 minutes ago. I can't decide if I like it enough to keep though.

in my last order, i ordered a bunch of imps containing leather, and loviatar was one of them.

at first, it smells woody + leather. it also, strangely reminds me of this drugstore perfume my grandmother had, but also like a very woody men's cologne. i think maybe it's the myrrh. i am still getting to know what notes work for me, so i'm not sure, but that's what i am guessing. unless it's the leather, but i have a few others with leather that dont come off so masculine or overpowering on me.

i wanted to like this one, but i'm just not sure it's for me.

after letting it dry down: LOVE it! very sexay. it's just a bit too potent in the beginning, so maybe i can find some way to dilute this.

Edited by theseagrows

Dark dragon's blood start. Then myrrh pops. Gets smokier, sharper, yet more smoothly blended together. Oh! Then red musk, which is wonderfully sexy. It's kind of a heavier, more aggressive version of Black Phoenix's latter stages (or Lilith, or Laudanum, or Voodoo) to me. Seems to fade fast, but it's a lovely spiced skin scent for me.

I had an odd experience with Loviatar. When I first applied it, I couldn't smell anything :P. This is the sort of scent that just clings close to my skin and seems to disappear. After it settles a bit I mostly smell myrrh and amber. Warm and clinging to my skin. When I manage to catch a bit of this, it reminds me of a shaving cream that my father used when I was little. Masculine and spicy. I just wish that it weren't so light and fleeting.

I had wanted to try Loviatar for ages as part of my red musk quest, since I love everything in this blend except leather (and leather seems to blend well with other things when I wear it, as long as there are lots of things for it to blend with and none of them are roses). For some reason I thought this had dragon's blood in it...

But I definitely get the red musk, and I immediately wanted more of this when I smelled it. I didn't test it right away though and after time the leather really dominates (appropriately enough).

Ahh, but that amber, musk and myrrh combo is fantastic and I'd like to keep trying this into the colder months of the year.

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this but it also makes me think of a character in those Terry Goodkind books -- it's been years since I read them but I remember there were these sort of dominatrix/torturess characters and one wore a tight red leather bodysuit as her uniform. This is definitely her scent. That's not exactly me, but I still like all of the dark red and black associations that this gives me, I just need to keep the leather in the background.

Wet on me this was predominantly very dry myrrh, with just a touch of leather and something that smells to me like slightly sour red wine. Dry on me it's all about the leather, the myrrh is still hanging around and the whole scent is smoother than the all leather scent of De Sade or Dead Man's Hand, but the leather is definately running the show. I like this, but I've got quite a few strongly leather blends so I'll have to try them against each other.

Loviatar is very, very warm leather with just a slick trickle of red musk -- slightly spicy and warm, deep and passionate...

But the leather doesn't play nicely with my chemistry. So, alas, it smells like plastic furniture on me.

Loviatar is dark and mysterious and not for the faint of heart. Wet I smell the leather undercut with something sweet. As it drys down the myrrh becomes stronger, the sweetness fades. If you like leather then definitely give Loviatar a try. Overall I find Loviatar to be too masculine for me.

Strong and masculine, very, very masculine.

Wet the black amber and the myrrh are pretty strong, and the leather is in the background.

It has a lot of throw

Edited by quimerula