Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lucretia

Summer's Last Will and Testament

Doomed summer, supported on the shoulders of winter and autumn: citrus-infused Baltic amber, red valerian, marigold, blood orange, and sunflower subdued by somber myrrh and dry geranium alongside the leaves of autumn and a breath of winter wind.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet...it's in my top 20 and I've been wearing it since August 2010. :eek: I just wanted to check the notes...

Marigold, leaves, citrus lift with a sunny amber-y leafy drydown. This is the perfect late summer laying in a meadow watching the sun set scent...I love this so much...bright, cheery uplifting and deep all at the same time. I guess I'm going to wear this today LOL. :) 10/10

This comes out really sharp and slightly astringent on me. Definitely a citrus although I don't think I would have identified it as blood orange. There is a sweeter softer note in the background - but it's way in the background! Definitely one for the swaps.

It does come out pretty sharp! But it kind if alternates being sharp and being soft.

The citrus infused amber is strongest on me - and you can definitely tell this is a Citrus amber - but I also get whiffs of myrrh and what I think is geranium! Cause it's not myrrh alone. I think the marigold (and maybe sunflower) might be what's pushing this from just a bright sunny scent to something that's also very green. It's kind of like you get the flowers fresh, the green of their stems, and hints of softness.

This was surprisingly strong on me! The first bpal I could put a bit on and distinctly smell it about myself as I walked - it was strong!

I'm not sure how "me" the scent is or how often I'll wear it due to that, but I like it well enough. Plus I was motivated to buy it due to my love of White Wolf's Changeling: The Lost game, so liking it even this much was a bonus. ;)

EDIT-- I guess the strength of it was bound to make it not last, esp the way my skin Chemistry eats bpal up anyway! About an hour in the amber is already doing that sort of powdery thing I love. It's mixing so nicely with the myrrh, and the green is more gentle and calm and less sharp. It'll likely be gone in another hour but it's lovely, and I think I've decided that I definitely like it.

Edited by stubbornfire

I am not sure why I was so determined to have this, hardly anything with citrus ever works on me. But I love the name of it so much, and the IDEA, and marigold and sunflower and all, so I am giving it a go.

Wet: Yup, citrus. Bitter citrus. It's settling a bit though. There's something almost minty to it - maybe the "breath of winter wind".

Dry: This actually settles into something truly beautiful. The amber somehow makes the citrus wearable, and the floral notes are unique and lovely. I really love this one, it's different than anything else I have. So glad I talked myself into it!

In the bottle and once on, I get a mix of deep amber, citrus, sunflower, and marigold -- they should be bright and sunny scents, but there's something darkened and muted about them. I never fully pick up the leaves, but there's a brief period where I get the off note that sometimes happens when a green note isn't playing well with my skin, so possibly the leaves? There's a slight astringency, but for the most part, this remains that mix of amber, marigold, and citrus on me, in that order. It's a little somber despite the brightness of many of the notes -- very evocative of the end of summer. (As a side note, this scent had its original run right when I was going through a significant life change that coincided with the end of summer. I always regretted not grabbing this at the time, and now that I've snagged a bottle years later, I'm amazed at how evocative it is of that period.)