Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin, black musk, tobacco, myrrh, and clove

in the bottle bog standard BPAL pumpkin, a little reminiscent of pumpkin V from 2007 and pumpkin queen: swarthy, buttery pumpkin but not quite as buttery as, say, jack
wet on skin i'm getting the richness of the tobacco and just a little resin from the myrrh. no clove to be found yet, which is good, as i love the concept of clove, but generally find it doesn't work in any way on my skin
dry on skin a little clove, yeah? just enough to spice it up and make it swing a little toward foody. this reminds me very much of pumpkin V '07, only not as bright. it's a wearable foody pumpin that's just a little bit dark and resinous. a surprise winner from my haul and this will most likely keep me happily in pumpkin for a long while. highly recommended if you liked any of the above pumpkin blends.

Inside the bottle, pumpkin and myrrh.

On my skin, tobacco comes right out on my skin along with pumpkin spice. As it dries, clove emerges.

This dries down to a beautiful, resinous pumpkin spice tobacco.

I'm beginning to think that as much as I love myrrh under most circumstances, I should stay away from anything where myrrh is blended with pumpkin. I may hold onto it a little while to see if it changes, but, this one isn't working.

I love clove, love tobacco, love black musk, and love myrrh, but, this ended up smelling...soapy. :cry2:

In about 6 hours, the soapy problem went away and all I could smell was myrrh. I can't give up on it yet, though, and will try again. sometime, before I swap it away.

In the bottle: Smoky pumpkin. I don't normally like smoky scents, but this is pretty good!

On the skin: Smoke fades really quickly. Now it is pumpkin and clove. So good! Wow!!

This one might actually have beaten out Pumpkin V for my favorites of the pumpkins this year. Sooooooo good!

Its amazing what a day can do for a scent. When I tested Pumpkin lV yesterday after my package arrived, I thought, noooo it smells like noxema. I tested it again this morning and its much better now. Its just spicy, clovey pumpkin now and I like it. I thought Pumpkin V was the winner, but now it has some competition. I'm predicting that this one will get even better with some aging considering how much nicer it is after one day. Great pumpkin scent!

bottle: pumpkin and tobacco and musk. this almost reminds me of a pumpkin spice version of red lantern.

wet: this is a very spicy pumpkin, it doesn't exactly smell like clove, more the feel of clove with heavy pumpkin and smooth tobacco.

dry: as this dries, the myrrh slowly warms. this is a very rich pumpkin scent with heavy, dark spice and a smooth musky tobacco feel underneath it all. my favorite of the whole patch.

Pumpkin IV (2009) - Black musk is one of my death notes, so I didn't have high hopes for this blend, despite loving myrrh and clove. On my skin, I don't smell the pumpkin at all. From the very beginning it's all stinky black musk with the kick of spicy clove. It's got some amazing throw, too. I wish I wore black musk better! I wish I could smell the rest of this, but I just can't get past that musk. So sad!

I was afraid of the black musk too, and at first it's all black musk on my skin, but after a second the tobacco and pumpkin become the dominant notes with the myrrh in the background, and it's just perfect smoky fall heaven. I almost didn't get this one and I'm so glad I threw it in my order at the last minute. This is the sexiest pumpkin I've ever smelled.

A.

This is gorgeous! I don't usually do foody, preferring resinous, woody and smoky blends. This pumpkin is very sexy resins and unlike any of the pumpkins from this year or past years. The clove is not overbearing as it can often be, but really complements the other notes in the blend. It's a bit perfumy and reminds me of Parce Que which is a perfume that I used to wear in the early 80's, but with a BPAL twist. I love this a lot and I can imagine how this one will age - beautiful.

In the bottle, this smells like sweet, creamy pumpkin with something rounding out its edges and making it smell yummier and more wearable.

On my skin, I doubt that I could pick out any of the listed notes in this. It smells like the best pumpkin ever, but I couldn't place my finger on why that is. I think that the myrrh adds a warm, golden, almost sparkly feel to the pumpkin. The clove and pumpkin spice here is sweet and not at all overwhelming. And the tobacco/black musk are just a curl of sweet smoke underneath the other notes.

Pumpkin IV is sweet and foodie, but also perfumey and very wearable, with almost a sexy-sugar feel to it. I love this a lot. Pumpkin IV and Pumpkin II are my favorite of this year's pumpkin blends (and I like Pumpkin III as well). I might even get a second bottle of this blend. :wub2:

In the imp it smells like buttered pumpkin. Wet on my skin it is initially pumpkin and clove quite good without foody. As it dries down it the smoke appears, and it is a smoky clove pumpkin. Once completely dry on my skin the myrrh emerges, and it gets a resiny feel. This is gorgeous.

In the bottle: This is definitely sweet pumpkin buttered popcorn. Very sweet and smooth, a touch of something "off" and sharp that I'm coming to realize is black musk. The off-sharp in the bottle doesn't usually transfer to off/sharp on my skin entirely.

Wet: Cloves and buttery pumpkin. I'm really only getting buttery pumpkin pie so far. Way off in the distance, there might be an interesting and faint scent of something else.

Drydown: Still very buttery and pumpkin, but the cloves, tobacco, and myrrh are taking a stronger role. Black musk usually shows up last to the party with me and lasts the longest, so I'll have to wait a bit more. At the end of the drydown, it's all myrrh and musk with a pumpkin backdrop.

The pumpkin note on this fades pretty quickly on me, leaving the black musk and myrrh behind. It's a sexy, dark scent, and it reminds me of 2008's Pumpkin II because of the black musk, but it smells different enough to make it its own unique blend. The tobacco doesn't come through very much on my skin, making this appropriate to wear to work during the day. It's a keeper!

I got an imp of this, as the notes reminded me of my beloved Pumpkin 2 from last year. As a side by side comparison, in the bottle and imp, they are pretty similar, only this years has more spice, less tobacco, and no leather. On, I get buttery pumpkin and spices, not at all like Pumpkin 2 from last yeaer. The pumpkin disappears (my skin literally eats pumpkin), and all we're left with is a mish mash of spices, very reminiscent of Gingerbread Poppet, actually. Glad to have tried this, and I do like it, but I have scents that are pretty close and won't need a bottle.

Source: Lab bottle

Wet: Straight up pumpkin, though not buttery.

Dydown: The pumpkin does go somewhere, and I'm left with this spicy clove mixed with myrrh and a tinge of sweetness.

Dry: There's a teensy bit of pumpkin peeking out of the spice pile. It's very nice and wearable, with minimal throw.

Overall: Nice, but I would like to see more pumpkin. Will retest later in the month for a final verdict.

Okay, today Pumpkin IV got pulled at random.

In the vial, it was very, very much that warm buttery sweet pumpkin that I associate with a pumpkin scent. It's quite nice. And I love that bright orange color. But once on my skin, that rich pumpkin smell completely disappeared. Apparently, with this scent, I'm amping the black musk like crazy. There is this dark almost smokey note radiating up off my skin. I can't really detect any of the other notes.

It stays like this for quite some time.

It's been several hours now and sadly, this has faded so badly that I'm barely able to smell anything at all. What I can smell still is the musk with the myrrh, clove and tobacco notes dancing along the edges in turn. Again, I love clove and would've preferred if it was a bit more prominent.

Overall, I'm on the fence about this one. It's nice, but it's not OMG!WOWing me. I've got about a month to wear it a couple more times and think about whether it makes the bottle want list.

In the imp: Getting all the notes listed, but mostly the musk.

Wet: Everything but the pumpkin! The black musk and the tobacco are really strong.

The dry-down: This was one of those scents that again I was hesitant to try because of the black musk. Musk and I usually get along, but black must is often too strong for me. (I had a problem with Black Lace because of this issue; the Indian musk seemed more like black musk on my skin.) Slowly, the buttery-sweet note of the pumpkin is reasserting itself, thank goodness, along with the clove. There's just a faint touch of myrrh, and the tobacco has a papery note to my nose. I was in a tobacco drying barn once as a child, and it's a lovely smell, as I remember, and I have hoped that I would find that note again in any of Beth's oils with the tobacco note, but it just doesn't seem to be.

Ultimately, this scent is dominated by the black musk. If you like Black Lace, but would have liked it to be a bit sweeter, then Pumpkin IV may be something that you would like.

Edited by thekittenkat

Resin-y pumpkin with clove (makes it more sharp) and alongside tobacco and black musk make this appear to be a dark pumpkin blend, but in reality it is sweet. Very deceiving, but I totally adore it.

Upon first applying this the buttery pumpkin note comes out, but much like Pumpkin V of this year, it burns off fairly quickly. I'm left with a sweetened musk scent, with smoky tobacco floating through. The myrrh is wonderful here. I really like this. It's NOT foody in the slightest, and the pumpkin really behaves here. I've had a lot of trouble with the pumpkin notes before, but this is surprisingly wearable for me.

smells like the warm aftershaven cheek of a nice man. Pleasant for a bit. Dries down to a peppery spice on the skin….only when you smell the skin directly. Nothing much else wafts off of it.

This one smells so much like Pumpkin I on me that I had to put one on each wrist and do a smell test. This one is a little darker than Pumpkin I, but the overwhelming scent I get here is still spice. This one is a little muskier than Pumpkin I and lacks a bit of the sweetness. I like this well enough to keep the imp, but not so well as I would want to buy a bottle.

This is exactly what I was expecting from a pumpkin scent: warm and spicy.

It is very evocative of Fall and takes me back to my teen years when I went to a local renaissance faire every September. It was there that I first encountered perfume oils and Pumpkin IV is the scent of that cart.

I quite like this, but I'm glad I got it as a sample from a decant and not a full bottle as find it a bit too heavy for everyday wear. I can see wearing it to parties or when reading tarot cards.

When I read the description, I thought smoky, sexy pumpkin. And on my skin chemistry, which tends to do amazing things with musk, this is exactly that: smoky, sexy pumpkin with a dash of wicked spice. Supposedly, one of the scents that's a major man attractant is pumpkin pie. This is the pumpkin blend you wear not just when you want to smell delicious, but when you want to smell darkly eat-me-alive delicious :twisted:

Deep orangey amber oil - burnt umber. Sweet and foody - buttery pumpkin and lots of black musk and the sweet, deep, rich sort of tobacco. Almost cakey! A faint hint of spicy clove and a distant whisper of bitter myrrh.

Still very foody and cakey, but a bit of the vegetal pumpkin aspect comes out. More clove and tobacco and myrrh - this is much more balanced and complex on my skin, although the pumpkin and black musk and sweet foodiness in general definitely dominate.

Still sweet but no longer buttery. Much, much more clove - it now dominates along with the delicious tobacco note. Myrrh still makes this bitter and overall I find this a touch too sweet, but barely. I think without the myrrh I might find this workable. It is the best tobacco note, and the clove is bitter clove which I don't love but unlike other cloves also don't hate.

Oddly, the final dry down of this is very earthy, almost like a soil note. The myrrh, tobacco, and bitter clove all hold well and in balance with each other, but the pumpkin is long gone, and the black musk is a backdrop note. At first is has good throw but it fades after a few hours to almost nothing. Not bad, but not my style.