Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin, black musk, tobacco, myrrh, and clove

Bah. Buttery pumpkin, myrrh... and the clove is bitter I think, and not sweet. I don't get along well with bitter clove.

On dry, its definitely less buttery and all the other components balance out the pumpkin. It's a kinda masculine blend, albeit a bit sour on my skin. Edited by zankoku_zen

Starts out as too much buttery pumkin for me too, but it quickly morphs into a masculine, spicy tobacco scent with a foody glow. Nice! Smells fantastic on DH :yum:

Wet this is buttery pumpkin with a hint of spices. When first on this is pumpkin and spices mixed with something fresh and almost fruity- like a less sweet version of classic pumpkin pie. After about a half hour, the myrrh develops and softens the blend. After a couple of hours, the pumpkin and spices have faded leaving a very sexy musk and myrrh blend. On the dry down this is a sexy close to the skin musk.

Pumpkin IV 2009

In the Bottle: ZOMG rich! I guess this is the pumpkin note? It's super rich and thick, so thick, it's like I can taste it and feel it at the back of my throat. Except my nose doesn't think "pumpkin" but rather, hazelnut. Is my nose broken? :blush:

Wet: Yay! Some tobacco! Wait, no-- where are you going? Come back! Come back my precious precious tobacco. :cry: Nonononono. Now it's just Mister Clove beating every note back with a spiky club.

Drydown: Still much too much clove for me. It really drowns out every other note. I get a slight powder that I wanna say is the myrrh and 20 minutes later, when I can't really smell much anymore (stupid scent-swallowing skin), I get the slightest hint of the musk. But really, this blend just screams clove on me.

Verdict: I had desperately hoped that this could become my tobacco holy grail, alas, the tobacco doesn't even last for a full three seconds on my skin. Sigh. I'm also not that big a fan of clove and since all my skin seems to amp from this pumpkin is clove, away this bottle shall go! **Of course, a couple months later, now I'm wondering if this might have aged into something with less clove and more musk and tobacco, which I love.**

BPAL's pumpkin note is always so rich and buttery, so it was a pleasant surprise when the musk and clove tempered that richness so well. I expected this scent to go WHOA PUMPKIN or WHOA MUSK, but instead it's a nice, subtle balance of both. After a long while, it's a bit more smoky than pumpkiny, but otherwise it stays true to my first impression. This is great! Pumpkiny, but not super-foody.

Edited by Voleuse

I don't really like BPAL's pumpkin note, but I LOVE this. Go figure, right? I usually find BPAL's pumpkin to be sort of sour and uninteresting, but this adds the requisite amount of cream (yes, cream! I swear! Okay, so maybe it's the musk that's making it creamy...) and spice. I cannot stop sniffing my wrist. Augh, why didn't I buy a bottle back when they were actually being offered?

This does not stink.

And if you knew how much damage my skin chemistry does to pumpkin, you would understand how groundbreaking that sentence really is.

This is the second pumpkin scent that I was able to test on skin, and again, I'm surprised how god it is, not at all what I expected.

In drydown, this is mostly black musk and pumpkin, and it's beatiful in combination with tobacco and myrrh, no clove here for me. And as much as I like it, and I really do because I don't like foody scents and this is not foody pumpkin, it's still too much pumpkin for me to feel comfortable wearing it. I would have loved this scent without pumpkin. :(

Perfect! This is amplified dark musky pumpkin with a ton of depth. :wub2:

The pumpkin is hugely sweet and dark wet. This is exactly what I wanted a pumpkin scent to smell like, but couldn't figure out what notes.

Drydown is eye-rolling-back-in-head lovely. The clove comes out more but doesn't turn plasticky like some other combos. The myrrh tobacco and black musk are sweet and swirling. This is the perfect marriage. Looking for a bottle.

Smoky, tobacco-y, slightly spicy, dark pumpkin. The tobacco adds a bit of a sweetness, the pumpkin isn't buttery at all, the myrrh and clove are blending perfectly, and the black musk isn't overpowering anything. It's grounding the scent, and keeping it from being too foodie. It calls to mind the scene in Lord of the Rings (I'm referring to the movie, since I haven't read the books in years), where Bilbo and Gandalf are smoking their pipes on the hill. That smoke and slight sweetness, mixed with the pumpkins sitting in the dirt of hobbit gardens, surrounded by dusky twilight.

Absolutely spectacular. I'm so happy I was able to find a bottle of this.

Edited by plainjean

Creamy pumpkin with an earthy spiciness. Dries down to a sweet and musky scent. Gorgeous. I'm glad I was able to track down a bottle.

In the bottle: Pumpkin, clove, and myrrh

On me: At first, it's pumpkin with clove, then it dries down to mostly clove. It's a little smokey, but not a whole lot.

Overall: Tasty! It's a buttery clove scent that makes me think of baked goods. The musk and tobacco lurk about and give it a nice background.

I can't believe that I never reviewed this scent. I know that I commented about it in the "I Love This Scent" and the "Receiving Compliments" threads! I love every single note in this scent, and together they are blended into the best pumpkin scent ever! Yes, it's a dark, spicy pumpkin scent, and I get tons of compliments whenever I wear it. So happy I ordered two bottles when it was live. :wub2:

Ah, this is the one and only pumpkin for me.

Wet: LOUD inky musk, crushed into a fresh pumpkin, with the scent of smoke hot and high.

Dry: the pumpkin gains more spice with the clove. Having just drank spiced cider last night, the clove seems sweet but mellow.

4 hours: It wafts a bit, just spiced pumpkin with deep smoky notes. I wish more of the tobacco would come out, but the myrrh and clove are beautiful together. I see this getting a lot of use for the fall.

In bottle I get foody, buttery pumpkin, almost cake-like, with just a hint of cologne from the black musk. On my skin, it's a fluffy pumpkin cupcake! Soon the resinous myrrh steps in with the clove and it's more of an evil cupcake. A bit of dustiness creeps in from the musk, and the cupcake fell into the dirt. But the five-second rule still applies so it's ok ;) Whoa, curve ball! The wonderfully evil dirty cupcake has morphed into sweet myrhh and clove o.O Where did my cupcake go?! It's still a lovely scent for fall but I preferred my dirty, dirty cupcake.

I've got all five pumpkins from the 2009 patch and usually, my go-to is pumpkin I and, on occasion, pumpkin V. Today, I decided to go for a different blend and picked this bottle up for the first time in maybe three years.

HOLY FUCKING WOW.

Words cannot describe how delicious and beautiful this blend has become. It is spicy, foodie, sensual, warming, comforting, sexy... yeah, still not enough words and none of them quite do this perfume the justice it deserves.

I want to be embalmed in this stuff when I die. Seeing stars!

This features a sweet, non-spicy pumpkin accompanied by some powdery myrrh and black musk on me (more myrrh at first, but the black musk gains strength with time). Usually I amp clove, but I'm not getting it here, and the same goes for the tobacco.

I wonder if this aged decant didn't hold onto the tobacco and clove? I like this pumpkin note, but the myrrh and the musk are too much for me.

For me this smelt really sweet! Which is strange looking at everyone else’s reviews. Smelt like sweet caramel