Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Pumpkin, chocolate, coffee bean, vanilla bean, and hazelnut.

Pumpkin V (2009)-

In Bottle: A hint of coffee, a hint of hazelnut, and the pumpkin scent underneath it.

Wet: Pumpkin, coffee, and hazelnut all fight for dominance. Cinnamon seems to underlie but that might be an illustion because that's a scent one associates with pumpkin and with coffee. A tiny fruity hint comes out, almost like berry.

Dry: There's definitely cinnamon in this! Cinnamon dominates. The coffee becomes less but the pumpkin lingers. It doesn't become musty on me, like coffee scents often do.

Overall: An warm foodie scent, very rich, kind of yummy. I wonder if it could become a favorite of mine. Edited by Shollin

This is interesting-- I don't think I've ever smelled a pumpkin scent before that didn't have the typical "pumpkin spice" blend. It's recognizably pumpkin, but darker and less sweet than what I'm used to. The hazelnut comes to the forefront along with the pumpkin, with the coffee and chocolate providing a thick, rich, but slightly bitter foody background.

I like this, but I don't love it, despite the fact that the notes sound pretty much perfect for me. It's an extremely heavy, molasses-thick scent, somewhat reminiscent of Gluttony with pumpkin, and like that scent it's almost too much even for my foody sensibilities. It could use a little spice or something to cut the gooey richness-- maybe I'll try layering it with something.

Stupid skin! I LOVE this in the bottle, but on my skin, I amp the cinnamon like no one's business. I'll keep the half-bottle I have for my scent locket- I refuse to let my skin ruin this one for me!

This is really good. It is a spicy chocolatey pumpkin. It is a pumpkin latte with chocolate sauce drizzled over the top. MMMM I definately need a bottle.

In the bottle, this smells like bpal's buttery pumpkin note and black coffee.

The second that the oil touches my skin, though, it's an explosion of cinnamon. My skin chemistry amps up spice notes like crazy, but at least the cinnamon here isn't sharp or red hots-evil. This is like a soft cinnamon sugar.

As this dries down, I get cinnamon sugar with the tiniest hints of coffee and pumpkin creeping back into the picture. Lots and lots of super-sweet cinnamon to be had here, and it has great throw and staying power.

I like this, but I can't really wear scents this cinnamon-heavy without getting a headache. I'm going to use my bottle of Pumpkin V as a home fragrance instead of a perfume. I'm glad to have a bottle of this anyhow, especially since the label is so cute (it's my favorite of the Halloweenie labels this year, next to Pumpkin II).

Holy coffee! In the bottle this smells of Pumpkin Coffee - but this pumpkin is not spicy pumpkin. Now, as time goes on, the coffee goes buh byez for the most part, and we welcome in the hazelnut and sweet vanilla. To me, this is not spicy at all because I am very sensitive to spicy scents. But that's just me. Chocolate doesn't really come out TOO much in the blend...it just kinda hangs out wayyyyy in the back. Very nice blend but it's strong - so be prepared!

In the bottle: Yummy creamy spicy coffee. So good.

On me: Whoa cinnamon. Where'd you come from? If I hold my wrist at a distance, I pick up a little pumpkin and coffee, but the closer the wrist is to my nose, the more cinnamony it gets. Hoping it changes a bit more as time passes.

I like it a lot, but don't love it. Hmm.

Pumpkin Spice Latte!!! :joy:

Our local Starbucks knows me so well, the moment Pumpkin Spice is back they start making them for me. Now I can have that wonderful smell all year 'round! I just have to remember not to drink it...

Bottle-worthy!

At first sniff, this was pumpkin and OMGNUTS -- there was this huge blast of NUTS when I put it on, and then it died down just as abruptly.

Now, it smells like spiced pumpkin, but not really SPICY, just gently spiced, and a bit sweet. I can't really smell the coffee so much, which is sort of a bummer, but it still smells nice.

EDIT: I had my boyfriend smell this hours later, and what he said was "hm, smells like chai." So for those looking for a chai scent, maybe try this one?

Edited by Ravenclaw79

Wet: buttery pumpkin, and coffee. yum!

Dry: Spice starts to come out, an it becomes more sweet and spicy. I can't pick out the coffee anymore. What it really reminds me of is Sugar Cookie - not the baked goods scent, but the warm, spicy drydown.

This is the only pumpkin that ended up working on me.

In the Vial- Buttery pumpkin with a backing of vague warm spices.

Wet- Instantly became SBucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. Very nice.

Drydown- Basically stayed very PSL for a good long while, the hazelnut gets stronger as time goes by,

Dry- hours later- LONG lasting. This would be great if it didn't go pure hazelnut in the end.

Scale of 1-5- 3. Very pleasant. It's seasonal, and I will use the decant, but I don't think I would want more. I may burn this as well!

Haha, I thought "Starbucks Pumkpin Spice Latte" when I smelled this and judging by the reviews on here, that is the least special-snowflake description I could have come up with. Pumpkin V is an equal mix pumpkin and coffee on me at first, with a smish of chocolate and fall spices, but the pumpkin gets stronger and turns it just a hair too buttery as it dries.

This is the closest I've come to finding a pumpkin BPAL I can wear, since they usually turn to nothing but butter. The buttery note is not even unbearable or anything in this pumpkin blend, it's just that I want one that's PERFECT. Still searching.

Ah-ha!! Another 'Weenie that didn't go sour-y on me!! Woohoo!! :lol:

First applied: OMG!SPICE! Like woah Spiciness on Spice Ln, Spiceville!! Like the Spice in Dune that gets everyone high 'cause it's Spice! It's really weird, 'cause where in the notes does it actually say spice?

Anyway, it's been on a little bit and while it's still Spice, I can now sniff through it to the creamy coffee note... does the creaminess come from the chocolate or the same mysterious place the Spice comes from? My skin really can't stand most chocolate notes, so if it is the chocolate, it's behaving nicely. *sniff, sniff...sniiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiff* Caught you vanilla bean!! There's no hiding from me. Vanilla bean gives PV a coziness I quite like. No hint of hazelnut or any kind of nut at all, thank goodness!

I really, really like Pumpkin V, but not because of the coffee note, which to me isn't nearly strong enough. It vaguely reminds me of something else I have... I can't remember off the top of my head. OH! I think it's the spiciness of Feb. 13 from this year, which I love also. I'm going to put Pumpkin V on my bottle want list and hope I can save enough $$ to actually get it, but if for some reason I can't, I do have Feb. 13 for that lovely Spice! scent. :)

So as usual, the spices are amping on me, and eating the pumpkin and chocolate. Nevertheless, this is very nice, probably not to wear for me, but as a room scent. Every once in awhile, I get a creamy coffee scent a bit of a distance from me, but when I sniff up close, it's not there. It is a 'good' coffee, too, freshly ground, like walking past Starbucks. I really want a good Latte now!

Source: Bottle from Lab

Wet: Warm spicy pumpkin and rich roasted coffee beans.

Drydown: Another case of disappearing pumpkin! I'm left with the feisty spices, warm and rich, but a bit too harvest potpourri.

Dry: Spice, but a teensy bit of butteryiness that might be some pumpkin trying to fight its way out.

Overall: I wanted a coffee scent very badly, but this did not live up to my expectations. It's a lovely spice scent if you are looking for one, though.

Just opening the bottle on this one is like O HAI STARBUCKS! The coffee is just really overwhelming. But on my skin it mellows and the hazelnut come out - just a little. A bit of vanilla. I'm getting something else though. I want to say lemon, even though it's not really lemon... I'm not really sure what.

I like this a lot though. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this one.

In imp: drinking chocolate, coffee, hazelnut and vanilla, in that order. No pumpkin yet.

Wet on skin: a mix of buttery pumpkin and strong black coffee, with hazelnut and cocoa. Dry. There is no milk at all, so it's nothing like a latte to my nose.

Dry on skin: dark, bitter coffee and cocoa, with ground hazelnut and vanilla. On the far drydown the vanilla is stronger and creamier and the latte comparison starts to make sense. I like this quite a lot, but probably not enough to wear much, especially since my husband hates the smell of coffee.

i love pumpkin scents, but i don't find them very wearable for me because i get really tired of the smell, same goes with apple etc...find in the room burner, not so much on my skin all day. However, this scent is FABULOUS! I couldn't stop sniffing!! I smelled the pumpkin, but not uber sweet pumpkin, perhaps tamed by the coffee, which did not overwhelm the scent, perhaps because it was grounded by the chocolate, which was not obvious to my nose at all - the surprise? For me it was like this spicy clovey vanilla snake oilish (unless that's a leftover haha) pumpkin scent. I love, love, love it!!!! First pumpkin scent that is a bottle buy and a keeper for me! I smell HAWT!

WOW - so nutty & nice in the imp. On, again, I smell a bit of clove/cinnamon like others, and the coffee/butter comes out now too. I haven't gotten into any of the pumpkins - but this is a nice one to start with. yes - very similar to the 13 blend from February '09! mmm, tasty!

Hmmmm, this one didn't work as well on my skin as I had hoped.

On me, this scent loses any hint of pumpkin and is primarily coffee and spices. It is nice, but I was hoping for a bit more pumpkin.... I think that I will stick to Bah! for my coffee needs.

I am in love with this stuff. It's spicy, chocolatey, coffee goodness. I'm not sure that I actually smell pumpkin, though. More like cinnamon.

Strong black coffee with a healthy dose of pumpkin & hazelnut. Chocolate and vanilla bean sweeten the coffee ever so slightly, but I am thrileld that this is predominantly coffee and pumpkin.

Edited by Schmoozy

Sadly I don't get the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice scent. On me, it's all caramel. No pumpkin or spice. And I was sooo hoping for that delicious smell. :cry2:

This is exactly the scent of Pumpkin Spiced Latte. Exactly. The pumpkin is buttery when first applied, but it lasts half a second before the other notes start to come out. The chocolate, coffee and pumpkin meld together and there is just a hint of hazelnut in the background. It's really a quite wearable scent, and I don't do foody scents normally. I quite like this.

I think I amp up hazelnut because that's basically all I smell. Hazelnut + a hint of buttery pumpkin. I have to say though that this year the pumpkins have been less buttery... or perhaps of the blends I have tried all contain a note I amp up, hence drowning the pumpkin?

I wish I had gotten the coffee --- I sort of wanted the Pumpkin Spice Latte everyone talks about!