Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A barrel of beer, a pyramid of cakes, and three sticks of incense.

Yup, I also got the undertone to Cockaigne here. It didn't go quite as gross on me as Cockaigne did though. This was primarily cake, with a hint of ale. There was no incense to speak of on my skin. It was sweet and foody. I liked it well enough, but I think I'm going to have to retest it in a couple days.

I like it in the decant. It smells sweet and foody and just yummy.

On my skin it smells rank and plastic with a little ass thrown in. I have no idea what happened, but I don't like it. Must. Wash. Off.

In the bottle: Yum, lots of cake, and a hint of incense, and a whiff of beer.

Wet: Even more cake. Very yummy. There's really not really a whole lot of beer or incense here, just enough to keep the cake from being rather sweet.

The Dry-Down: Not sure that I want to eat this spicy cake, but I sure like sniffing it. Bottle-worthy, and may need a back-up. This stays pretty much the same throughout.

Feeding the Dead

In Bottle: Lol on first sniff I got cheese, but that quickly went away, and now I have a lot of root beer and sweetness with a bit of spicey.

Wet on Skin: Cake and butter. Way too sugary sweet for me. I don't get any of the beer. :(

Dry Down: Sugar, cake, and... lemon? How odd. I wish I got more incense from this.

Dry on Skin: Not as sweet anymore, most of the incense. Pretty nice.

Overall: 3/5. Another okay foody fall scent for those that enjoy them.

It goes on very yeasty, stays that way for some time, then turns into something like molded sweet bread. After that, I get suggestion of something spicy that might be the incense? It's pretty good after that initial rancidness goes away. The other downside is it fades so super fast that I have no time to enjoy it in it's last stages. I would consider this for a bottle, as I don't mind waiting for a scent to settle in, but the fact it lasts for so little time makes it a no, unfortunately. Why oh why has my skin decided to start eating some scents!? :(

in the bottle: butter, rum, spice.

Wet, on my wrists: BUTTER. Wow. Buttery and wonderful. Clove, cinnamon, rum. YUM.

5 minutes: Still very buttery. A bit of the musty potpourri apple that soured on me in Creepy. The spice is bringing this out as well. Ohhh please don't go all potpourri on me? The throw is very low although I keep getting whiffs of butter, which make me want to bake. This may make me fat.

15 minutes: Oh no, soapy incense with a touch of potpourri apple. Ugh. At least the throw is low, so I don't really have to smell much of it.

30 minutes: There's some vanilla sneaking in here? Cinnamon and clove are both mustily present. Soap. Almost completely gone.

I'm going to let this settle down, and if it changes up, I'll definitely edit with new notes, but at the moment it goes from delicious to gross VERY quickly and then disappears. Sigh. Maybe good for a room scent if I want to make everyone think I've been baking!

This smells exactly like pineapple upside down cake on me.

I can't decide if that's a good thing or not. I'm still exploring foody scents.

Spicey, buttery cake. Hoppiness = unhappiness. On me, the beer translates the cakeiness into somewhat musty, past-expiration date panettone. Not a keeper!

I get the exact same cake note from this that I get from Cockaigne - unfortunately, this note has a tendency to go kinda funky on me - a cross between burnt buttered popcorn and sourdough.

Feeding the dead shouts CAKE CAKE CAKE FERMENTED CAKE and after a few minutes it develops an incense-stick undertone with a hearty dose of dry cinnamon. Cinnamon. blast! I was hoping the cinnamon some reviews mentioned was a mistake, maybe just a warm incense note that was similar to but not actually. No, it's definitely cinnamon.

bummer. I was hoping for mostly incense with hops/grains and a smidge of foodiness.

Instead, this is a rich, yeasty cinnamon-dusted cake scent with a background of gentle woodsy spice. Fans of Eat Me and Cockaigne will probably love this.

The throw is moderate, while the staying power is truly impressive. This lasts for hours and I'm guessing will stay strong all day.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

This is actually rather like John Barleycorn from last year. Like a cross between it and Bonfire Night, mercifully without vetiver.

It goes on with a lot of beer and a lot of cake. It definitely has a grainy (in the sense that it smells like bread) quality with sweet cakes, with some alcohol to brighten things up a bit. On me, the incense quickly emerges and becomes pretty strong. The bread quality of the beer is strong enough that it balances the sugar of the cake, so while this is a sweet blend with a slight creamy aspect, it's not so foody.

So rather than smelling like cake, on me, this smells like incense and beer with a little cake on the side. And that's okay with me!

The throw dies down pretty quickly, BUT the scent lasts a reasonable time. It just stays a little close to the skin. After about 6 hours it's mostly gone, smelling like traces of petit fors and incense.

Those of you who hoped wanted to love Bonfire Night but can't wear vetiver, give this a try. Bonfire Night is heavy, custardy cake and wood smoke. Feeding the Dead is lightly iced white cakes (very similar to Eat me) with incense smoke. So they aren't identical -- FtD is a bit less rich -- but they're definitely related.

Edited by naeelah

In the imp: Y HALO THAR, COCKAIGNE! Very buttery cake. VERY buttery.

Wet: Popcorn! Butter, popcorn and salt. Smells like hot pretzels with butter (oh gods that sounds good. *weeps for gluten intolerance*). Not as sweet as in the imp, and not a single stick of incense, let alone three. As it develops, out comes the beer. The intense butter begins to fade.

Dry: Hops, butter and a touch--the faintest touch--of incense.

Verdict: REALLY interesting scent, but an imp is enough.

In the bottle: this is a buttery cake... sort of a pound cake. Mmm.

On, wet: oh hey, there's the beer! This is a nice, light hoppy beer. It smells like the sort of thing I'd like to drink. I'm really pleased with the smell. It reminds me a little of the hoppy smell in Roadhouse.

On, dry: and here's the incense! It's sort of the memory of incense, if you know what I mean-- the smell a room has when incense has been burnt there in the past. I love that this scent has cycled through the three notes perfectly for me. They're all present at the end, beautifully intermingled.

Throw: less throw than many BPALs on me. I could probably slather this one and get away with it.

Duration: duration is average for me, about 12 hours.

Overall: This is the first BPAL I've ordered since I found out I was pregnant in January! I bought it in celebration of having had my baby. :) I had the feeling it would be perfect for me, and I'm glad that I blind bought it-- it's really very, very lovely, and a perfect treat!

It is really a very simple scent on me-- just the notes listed, nothing else. Exactly what I wanted!

On application, Feeding the Dead smells like a buttery, lemon pound cake! :yum:

After it has dried down (say, after an hour), the incense comes out.

Very nice! Probably my favorite of the Halloweenies this year.

Yum. Incense cakes. There is just a touch of spice, and a bit of beer A simple scent really, and it is damn good.

So this began as rather buttery cake batter, but as it dries, I get more of the 'beer' - and it smells like stale beer and stale cake.

Like the remains of an adult birthday party - half drunk beer bottles, and a cake that people forgot to cover, and has dried out.

Frimped a decant of this:

Wet on skin this smells like popcorn balls, sweet sticky popcorn... dries down to popcorn balls with something flowery no sweet fruity no flowery... wow! this damn oil MORPHS!!! I cant quite figure it out and once I think I have it.. it changes.

In the end though it is what the description states - the beer (which is what put me off in the first place) Cake+Incense = :wub2:

Mmmmmm...the sleeper hit of my Halloweenie haul! :wub2: Yummy and foody and a tad buttery with a whiff of incense. I love the golden malty depth beer notes give to foody and/or wheaty blends (think John Barleycorn) and the beer in this makes it even more delicious. Why can't they just feed these to the living instead?

On me, Feeding Dead starts off very foody. In the bottle and upon initial application to my skin, the oil smells like pound cake. As it dries down, however, the beer note begins to emerge. It isn't strong and steers well away from "beer pong game gone horribly, horribly wrong" territory. Plus, this "hoppiness" cuts down on the sugary sweetness of the cake. Finally, the incense note comes out, lending a sweetish, light smoky, non-foody aspect to the oil.

Verdict: A surprise hit! I would classify this as an adult foody scent -- grown up and not too sugary sweet. It seems very comforting to me, although Mister likes to refer to it as the "super-sexy-beer-cake" perfume, so whether it's a security blanket type scent or a seductive one may really depend on the sniffer. ^_^

First this is all fluffy white cake. *mmmm* The white cake then takes on a boozy feel. Not beer to my nose, but that is what it must be. Later it is a booze and incense with a smidge of cake. I like it, but not enough to track down a bottle now. I will wait to see how it ages.

Sweet and bready, and though I can't pin down the kind of sweet this is, it's intense. Honey and peanuts, except not, and a hint of oranges. This is really interesting! I don't get incense, but there is the tiniest breath of smoke behind this. Over time, I get the effect of incense more--a kind of resiny, smoky halo--that surrounds the orangey cake of the blend. I don't get beer at all, which is surprising. Nicely surprising, I suspect.

I bought a bottle of Feeding The Dead for ritual purposes - cake, beer and incense are three main components of the Ancient Egyptian offering to the Blessed Dead, so I knew I would be using it whether it smelled nice on me or not. In fact, the description reminded me so much of the Egyptian ritual that I was surprised to see the Dia de los Muertos-type image on the label!

Regardless, I am lucky: Feeding The Dead works really well on me.

In the imp, it was like buttery popcorn with a faint yeasty undertone. I was afraid it was going to go all Shill-like on me (I sometimes amp the butter/caramel component of cake scents), but I shouldn't have worried.

The beer note appeared immediately after applying, its refreshing hoppiness cutting through the butteriness of the cake.

After a few minutes, a fleeting hint of saltiness and a citrus note appeared out of nowhere... at first it smelled faintly of orange, then it suddenly morphed into lemon - delicious lemon cake with royal icing, and a crisp pint of the best quality pilsner next to it.

After complete drydown, the beer was the first to leave, followed by the sugariness of the cake - from then on, the blend became drier and airier, as the incense finally showed up.

I can picture the priests removing the offerings from the altar one by one, lighting up the incense for the final fumigations, then sweeping away the traces of their footsteps before sealing the Holy of Holies again.

This is a great as a perfume, and I can also tell that it will beautifully enhance my future rituals.

Edited by Ishtar

Buttery bread.

I don't get a whole lot of incense from this blend, or cake really. On my skin it smells like a piece of bread with a thick helping of butter.

Not something I'd reach for often.

no buttery bread here,

simmply beer and luscious beer and autumn smoke, and the best substitute for bonfire night ever. Very warm, not stinky, no bready wafting over to me, some cakiness that is warm, altogether perfect on me!