Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Teggy

Blackberry Jam & Scones

Blackberry jam and… scones.

I wanted this so BAD when I heard it was comming! However, like everything I want, as soon as I get it I immeadetly regret it. In the bottle I get batter, blackberries, and rose? I'm not kidding, that's what I smell. On me I get tons of blackberry with a hint of scones. Then after it dries I get nail polish remover. I just should have bought me some blueberry scones at the bakery :cry2: !

Blackberry Jam and Scones-

In Bottle: Lightly fruity but with a hint of florals tempering it.

Wet: Wow, this is faint. I get a floral powderiness off it and it's really faint. Where is my blackberry foody goodness I expected?

Dry: It's gone. Off into the ether with a floral memory wisp, nothing else. It's like I never put anything at all on my skin. Oh, that makes me so sad.

Overall: A mere thread of a scent, shows not at all on me. Wah.

Tart blackberries and pastry. At first it is strong and nommy, but as it dries down it fades to the lightest whisper of blackberries. This is spectacular.

Finally!!

I was starting to worry that this wouldn't live up to all the anticipation I've had but I was WRONG. This is delicious and spot-on blackberry pastry (I keep thinking of blackberry cobbler while huffing my wrist). It's perfect!!

Bottle: Blackberries and a dry scone. Biscuity rather than sweet.

Wet: This is thick and sweet like honey. Fruity, almost boozy in its intensity.

Dry: It does what it says on the tin. Summer in a bottle. This is really pretty, and much less "foody" to me than Closet. Delicious.

This scent really hated me.....it smelt like cheap car air freshner. I don't what it is but to say this stunk on me is a understatement. I didn't get blackberry at all...I got blueberry airfreshner (which smells like chemicals!) Very glad a lovely lady on here sent me this imp to try before I bought it! Save me a lot of disappointment. Oh well, can't win em' all right?

Mmmmm, fruit. Well, fruit and pastry. To my untrained-berry-sniffing nose, this is kind of like a piping-hot berry pie. It's super-sweet, almost like fruit syrup, but a floury note keeps it from being overwhelming. Over time, the flour does start to smell more like scones, but the berries also get more syrupy. It's more easily discerned as blackberry syrup, but it gets a little too sweet for me.

Wet, this is a very realistic Blackberry jam. I get no pastry here. As it dries, a very sickening floral fruity candy-like scent is dominant, very reminiscent of cheap room spray. This really is akin to Knave of Hearts, as someone mentioned, but the fruit is different, another blend that did not work on me. Oh well.

Not being a foody scent lover, I decided not to order an imp of this no matter how much I was influenced by this forum, haha. I'm glad I didn't. I got this a frimp anyway. It reminds me of the cupcake doll I used to play with when I was little. Sort of a fake berry scent mixed with plasticine. I love scones and jam but I sure as hell don't want to smell like that. Even in the imp it smells almost sickeningly sweet, but not in a realistic scones way.

Blackberry Jam & Scones doesn't play nice with my chemistry. Overwhelmingly sweet in the imp, it goes sour and almost chemical-smelling on my skin, before turning into a more realistic blackberry note after drydown.

The berry note could actually be quite nice, but it is beaten into submission by a very, ahem, assertive cake note reminiscent of the Knave of Hearts - a little burnt, a little yeasty, nothing downright unpleasant but a tad overpowering to wear all day.

I can see how this could be gorgeous, fun and summery on someone else, though - hopefully the next forumite it's going to live with will love it!

In the decant, this smells like blackberry and some sort of pastry, pretty much what it says on the bottle. On my skin, the blackberry ends up balancing pretty evenly with the scone-y end of things. We'll see if it becomes overwhelmingly blackberry like Couple Counsulting and Enpon did, but if this balances out, and if it works well with the scent I'm putting on my other wrist (MVJBA Pancake Breakfast), I may need to start seeking a bottle of it. And it does. To the DISOs, Batman!

Edited by Venneh

I thought that this might smell a bit like Crumpet Rebellion, but it doesn't at all. This doesn't really smell like blackberry on me either. It smells very fruity and sugary, and reminds me of really thick, dark purple grape juice. It's like a cool glass of grape juice next to a slice of heavy, sugar crusted pound cake. As it dries down, it's mostly a heavy, artificial, fruit juice-type smell. It doesn't smell like blackberry or scones on me, really. The closest thing that I can compare it to is to say it smells a bit like Jester on me, but more sugary, heavier, and less wearable. Lots of artificial fruitiness here. It smells like something that would be a cute fragrance for a 5-10 year old, but it doesn't really work on me...

Edited by Little Bird

very cloyingly sweet batter and berries. the little bit i got on my skin did stay a pretty true berry scent but i guess i'm just not into foods enough to be all that swayed by this. honestly it reminded me of a scent that would be better suited to bath products. i was impressed by how realistic the berries were though.

In Bottle: Thick, sugary, and fruity. Like smelling jam.

Wet on Skin: Not quite as heavy, but still a sugary fruity smell.

Drydown (3 minutes): It smells a little buttery now, like the scones are starting to come out.

Drydown (5 minutes): Everything's kinda blended together to form the delicious scent of a breakfast with scones and jam.

Overall Impression: This scent makes me hungry! Delicious scones and jam. I want to eat my arm.

In the bottle, this is all sugared blackberry. Once it's on, though, it's definitely jam, and the warm scone comes out behind it. It seems crazy, but I swear I can smell the rough texture of the scone torn open and smeared with jam. The scent stayed very consistent all through drydown, and still has decent throw hours later, but not so other people would notice without getting very close. This is a home run, and I definitely need a bottle!

I never thought to give this a chance, as foodies are "meh" on me. However, I received a decant of this in a swap and tried it on. I was blown away. I ADORE IT!

Once applied, sugary sweet blackberry jam pops up and attacks my face. Makes me HUNGRY. The scones part of the deal isn't too bready at all. It's almost just a sweet cookie quality without being too dry. The winning note is the blackberry jam. It's sweet and candylike. It's not a fresh fruity blackberry note, it really is blackberry jam. Me encanta!

The blackberry is juicy and sugared (but I'm on the lookout, because it usually turns to lip gloss on me), and I smell the baked goods when it's freshly applied. The Lip Smacker Effect takes over as it dries, though, and the scones vanish.

I love blackberry scents so I had high hopes, but this didn't work on me. It smells like blackberry jam and stale vanilla. My skin chemistry can be funky with vanilla

When I first put this on, it did not smell good. It smelled like burnt scones. It's like they went backwards in the cooking process. It soon went to a nicely baked scone. Then to the individual ingredients...on the dry down it's pretty much just blackberry jam. There is some scone-type batter mix in the background. But the blackberry is most prominent.

If I judged this in the imp or first on, I would have hated it. But with it on for at least 30 min now it is definitely worth more. I'm not convinced it's a full bottle but i will snatch up a partial if i see it.

I got this from mah dahling witch Ravenclaw79 for this SW round. And I am so glad I did!

In the bottle it is overwhelming berry-ish scent, that's all I get.

Wet had me a little worried, it was grapey-tart-sweetish berry stuff. The grape is overwhelming but I just say, give it time, give it time!

Drydown. Ahhhh. This is what I'm talking about. When I huff it I get sweetened blackberries... but the real prize is when I just let the scent exist. As I type little wafts of blackberry and a kind of buttery sweet pastry float up. It is absolutely heavenly and so comforting. It makes me want to cuddle down into a giant armchair with a scone (I make awesome scones!) and a book and a cup of tea.

Thank you mah witch! This is awesome on me!

(For those of you who Knave of Hearts did not work, KoH didn't work on me either, but this did! Weee)

In the Vial: Heavy, sticky sweet, and toasted. It doesn't scream blackberry, but there's definitely a dark fruitiness there. Reminds me a lot of Grog! I wish I had some to compare.

Wet: It's losing a bit of that toasted smell, and getting fruitier and more jam-like. After a minute, a buttery creaminess starts to come out, which must be the scones.

Dry: First of all, this stuff has a killer throw. Secondly, I like the throw better than the up-close scent, which is turning plasticky. And I'm getting a milk note (clotted cream on the scones?) which I think is causing that plastic smell.

An Hour Later: It's becoming that generic gingerbreadesque foody scent that so many BPAL blends do on me. Well, at least it's not plasticky anymore!

Overall: A little disappointed that this didn't work better on me since it seems to be a big hit with those who it does work for. I would've liked the blackberry note to be stronger. I think I'll have to pass this one on!

Very jammy, sweet lovely blackberries. Usually blackberries do not work on me; the only other one that does would be MB: Closet. Anyway, the blackberries stay very realistic smelling and juicy while I get a bit of a buttery note in the background. It isn't like sticking butter on your arm or anything but more like a baked butter? and it just serves to enrich this blend even further. There is a bit of something floral (I really think it is rose) and maybe a pinch of cinnamon?

Very yummy. A foodish blend that is more gourmand than being a total foody.

in bottle: The "blackberry jam" bit comes out quite strong and boozy, and a little fake. The scones are nice, but hard to smell. Strong throw.

wet: Blackberry scent is a bit truer, and doesn't overpower the scones so much. I'm getting quite a bit of tea rose as well. Reminiscent of a Cracker Barrel store, or a cozy New England bed and breakfast. Fairly strong throw.

drydown: Blackberry and tea rose remain the prominent notes, with the scones in the background. Strong throw. Becomes plasticky sweet in the final stages.

verdict: This is not so much blackberry jam and scones, as a heavily potpourried foyer with the smell of fresh blackberry scones wafting in from the kitchen. It's a very comforting scent, though it can be a bit overpowering. It's nice enough in the peak stage, but not a must have for me.

I have been wanting to try this, and finally...I get to!

I always seem to have trouble with BPAL's berry notes, like strawberry, cherry, blueberry...they seem to go plastic on me, so although excited to try this, a bit worried.

In Bottle: Yummy blackberry jam...I can see where someone might get a booziness from this, but mostly very sweet.

On Skin: So glad the berry stays true...no plastic yet!

Few Minutes in: Sweet berry scent softens, but overjoyed!!! No plastic on me. I don't get floral either and I tend to amp ANY floral!

Dry Down: The buttery scone peeks through, but stays very balanced! I can smell the berry and pastry...this softens nicely, so you non-foody lovers have nothing to fear. Stays sweet but I think it can be worn by foodies (me!) and non alike! Very nice scent!