Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Imperious Tiger-Lily

Tiger-lily, ginger root, neroli, purple fruits, and frankincense.

A frimp from the lab. Thank you!

At first, wet, this is very soapy. I love floral scents and lily usually works well on me so I'm surprised. It seems to be the lily note that is soapy and sharp.

Once it dries it is mostly frankincense with a sweetness to it that I guess is the purple fruit. I *think* I can still smell the lily, still a little soapy, on top of the frankincense but only when I put my nose to my wrist. This scent just doesn't glow or bloom on my skin. I put rather a lot on and I can't smell it from a few inches away. I really think frankincense is not a good note on me.

Later, I can smell the lovely lily note, not soapy anymore, just faintly and buried under the dull frankincense. So sad.

If frankincense is a great note on you and you like floral scents definitely try this one.

Wet: The lily was very strong when I first applied it, and I didn't get much else. It was kind of sharp and perfume-y, a bit soapy.

Dry: This settles down so that the lily is not as sharp or soapy. It's still strong, but not as perfume-y. I get some sweet fruit underneath it, as well as a bit of spice from the ginger. I get the frankincense, but it's not too strong yet, thank god. It just kind of rounds it out a bit. It's been on my wrist for about 30 minutes now, and it's warmed up to something nice. I love florals, but BPAL's florals can be a bit hit or miss on me. I think this is working pretty well, though.

Overall: Very strong lilies throughout, tempered by a subtle spicy-fruit scent from underneath. I am definitely keeping my imp to try again.

I know the original tiger lily was preferred because it was lilies and honey.. I thought this was the same mix, without having looked at the ingredients!

The lilies open up strong and a bit powdery (as they are wont to do) but further into drydown, neroli and purple fruits are prominent giving this a honeyed taste. It's not just a 2 sided fragrance, you can tell they changed the formula to give it more dimension and staying power. I'm debating a bottle.

In Bottle: Ginger, incense and a trace of florals

Wet: Lots of lily, where did the ginger go?

Dry: Floral, not for me.

Notes: None of the other notes popped but the lily.

Wet it's sharp lily and wafts of purple fruit. As it's dries it's a soft slightly sweet powdery floral with frankincense.

Edited by BuxomM

I dislike the scent of lily on my skin. At first I thought Imperious Tiger-Lily had enough other stuff going on that it would be okay, since I mostly smelled neroli and ginger in the imp.

But the lily amps up on my skin, and no thank you. There are other notes on my skin but I can't concentrate enough to pick them out with that lily note distracting me; it's got that new-carpet smell I find hard to ignore.

Lily tends to be soapy and problematic on me in general, and this is no exception. I should have known that a combination of frankincense, "purple fruits," and lily would spell disaster. Well, to be fair, it's not really a disaster -- it's just a very soapy perfume scent. Meh.

Upon initial application this was all tiger-lily. After dry down the spicy ginger, frankincense and neroli come through adding dimension to the tiger-lily. It's spicy, resiny, floral and bright. I think I love it more than my beloved discontinued Tiger-Lily.

Edited by Schmoozy

i tried this once and i wasn't in love. my notes say, "too green? Is that possible? Did not like."

well i went to my parents house with the newly acquired imp collection, and testing everything on her that wasn't going to give her an asthma attack (she did, however, have an allergic reaction to SOMETHING. but something she smelled, not something she skin tested).

she loved this. loved loved loved. and it smelled gorgeous on her arm!

so i was convinced to test again. and you know what? i did like it better the second time around. i got much more of the frankincense the second time around, which helped make the tiger-lily and neroli much less intense. i am planning on getting the sis a bottle for a present, but i will be keeping the imp, and testing it a few more times. we shall see.

In the Imp: intense floral

Wet on Skin: Slightly sour floral - I have a hard time with most lilies; I think I can sense a touch of the frankincense and purple fruits

While Drying: This reminds me of being in a hair salon

After a Little While: better after it dries, but still mainly a lily scent

Later: The Boy seems to like it, but I don't think that is enough to save it from mediocrity in my eyes.

Imperious Tiger-Lily earns a 3/5 on my skin.

Imperious Tiger-Lily - This scent wasn't remotely as floral as I anticipated. In fact, it's mostly frankincense and an earthy, rooty scent (must be the ginger root?). As it dries down, the neroli really comes out and it becomes a frankincense-neroli scent. It a resinous herbal fragrance, and nothing like the lily fragrance I was anticipating.

at first this is pure neroli with a hint of lily in the background. as it dries, the lily comes out even more. i think i am getting a tiny hint of the purple fruits and an even tinier hint of frankincense and ginger. but mostly it's lily lily lily. too much lily for my tastes!

Imperious Tiger-Lily

On: This has a really honey-like scent to it, with a nice dose of bright neroli. Neroli isn't usually a note that works on me, so we'll see how this goes.

1 hour in: A powdery, floral, with a woodsy incense scent to it, too.

2.5 hours in: A very soapy floral.

7 hours in: A sweet floral with a bit of frankincense.

Overall: I wish this worked on me.

Edited by grrrlennyl

I tried this one at West Coast Will Call, not knowing what the notes were. It just EXPLODED on my skin, and for a minute I thought I'd made a terrible, noxious mistake! But that was just over-application in a crowded situation, because a few hours and another careful application later, I've confirmed that it's gorgeous. Once I saw the list of notes I could pick them out, though it's one of those especially clever blends that's more than the sum of its parts. I think my strong positive reaction is coming a lot from the neroli. I adore neroli and orange blossom and had wanted so much to love Ravenous, but ultimately I just couldn't do such a patchouli-forward scent. Imperious Tiger Lily was today's full-bottle worthy surprise for me, then, and I recommend it especially for those who like vintage perfumes. I'm not saying that it smells old-fashioned to me, but it might to others - virtually every mass-market perfume I like was created before 1930, so I'm pretty sure my preferences are skewed that way....

IMPERIOUS TIGER LILY (Mad Tea Party, the Garden of Live):

In bottle: This is strongly purple. The lily/fruit/frankinsense combination is quite the power house with the other elements providing more delicate support. It is lily dominent and is a fine showcase for that flower’s scent. Wet: More neroli and ginger on the skin. It is less startlingly purple as the balance shifts. Ginger turns out to go beautifully with tiger lily. The franknsense is less pleasant now, but that is often the case with frankincense and my skin. It goes more off on my skin the longer it wears, clashing with my own natural scent and leaving me smelling rather dirty. It’s a shame, but not unexpected given my skin chemistry. Dry: neroli and fruit dominent with the other elements lingering. It’s still a bit unfortunate in the effect of the frankincense, but more pleasing than wet.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

In the imp: lovely lily and ginger.

On wet: This smells like a high quality floral bar soap, or generic floral perfume. Something sharp and a bit sneeze-worthy. The lily seems to be pulling the same kind of trick that tea notes tend to play on me, and going sharp and soapy.

Drydown: After a while it loses the worst of the sharpness, and the ginger comes out, but this is never going to be a favorite of mine.

Swaps box.

In the imp, this is really strong lily, so I was expecting to amp it like the original Tiger Lily, but on the skin the other notes even it out. It is a lot of lily still, but has been made nice, warm and smooth.

In the Imp (ITI): Sweetly floral and powdery with the tiger-lily. However, I do smell the ginger root and it isn’t death ginger, it’s more of an Altoids mints ginger.

Wet: Hmm, frankincense takes the forefront, which I wouldn’t have expected. After that, I get lily, a touch of neroli, and just a dash of ginger. It’s still rather pleasant, which makes me rather happy.

Dry: It’s become more powdery as it dries, and while the lily is still very present, there is a faint undertone of cat pee when it interacts with my skin. Boo, this one was going so well, too.

On me this is all lily all the time. Sadly, the only lily that seems to agree with my nose is Stargazer lily. I do get a hint of purple fruits and a slight powdery sweetness as well.

This one is lovely, but it isn't for me.

In the bottle: At first I was put off by how lily it smelled in the bottle. To me it seemed to consist entirely of lily, with something making it slightly warm and slightly less floral and a tiny bit spicy.

Wet: The lily starts to fade and it gets a little bit soapy. Some of the spice starts to come out.

Dry: The scent faded to a dusty lily. It seems sort of classic and warm and it makes me think about candles on a chandelier in the velvety anteroom of a fancy old style hotel. It's a little powdery, but not overpoweringly so

I wasn't sure at first how I felt about Imperious Tiger-Lily. I received it as a frimp and wasn't expecting to like it. It sort of snuck up from behind and I think I'm growing to love it more and more because it's a warm floral and it doesn't give me a headache :) (as some other floral-y things do).

Wet I get LILY, which I love, plus a hint of citrus from the neroli and a smidge of spices. I can catch a bit of throw as I type and it's lovely: floral without being overpowering and a bit of spice and resin melting into it. Up close it's almost as though the lily and neroli are having an epic battle for supremacy. Hopefully as it warms, that clash will sort itself out. Thankfully it blends better and better as it warms. I definitely get the "honeyed" feel that some people have described. It's quite a pretty floral, though perhaps too pretty for me as I tend to like more down and dirty scents.

Heady floral, but not too strong, and I slathered. Not much else to say, only that I don't get any frankincense, just sweet, heady floral. I may use this in the spring, but it's not really my type of blend at all.

Tiger-lily, ginger root, neroli, purple fruits, and frankincense.

Initial sniff from the imp I pick up lily and ginger. Initial application is very strong lily with about half the amount of strength in ginger and a faint bite of neroli. Partway through dry down phase the ginger picks up very strongly and the faint incense note of the frankincense starts to filter through. I'm not picking up any fruit scent to this, for which I'm grateful as I'm not a big fan of fruit fragrances. I really like this it's an excellent balance of floral and spice with the faint citrus like tang of the nero1i weaving in and out through it. The frankincense blends nicely with the ginger. This one is a big hit for me I wish I had tried it sooner.

I smell no lily or neroli or ginger. I smell purple fruit and frankincense. I feel like maybe I got a tiny whiff of lily in the beginning, but when it's dry it kinda just smells like purple fruit. It's not a bad scent, but it's not knocking my socks off. I have other purple fruit scents I like better.