Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Against Idleness and Mischief

Pollen-dusted honey, diligent tonka, steadfast chamomile, and goodly hyssop.

There isn't really anything I can add that hasn't already been said, but I wanted to voice my love for this scent. It strikes me as being very strait forward and true to the poem it's inspired by. I smell a busy, virtuous bee. A bit of a disclaimer, I'm totally useless when it comes identifying any notes other than the obvious, in this case honey. So, I smell honey and something clean and powdery, but not like baby powder and not that powdery smell things sometimes get when they react weirdly with my body chemistry. It doesn't morph and it lasts me though a standard work day. I can't really comment on the throw because I apply things very lightly (if it escapes a 3 inch radius around me its too strong). For me, it has the hint that it could be headache inducing sweet, but never manages to cross the line. I guess it also kind of reminds me of the steampunk mechanic No. 93 makes me feel like only scrubbed clean and made presentable.

First of all chamomile is underrated and I was so excited to see it in one of the new MTP blends. It would be my luck that the blend with cham. would also contain honey of some sort. (blech) Unfortunately the honey is the only thing that stands out here. It simply overpowers the tonka, hyssop and chamomile, which just sucks.

Man, this is like the six-year-old's version of No. 93 Engine. Pale, beeswax-and-herbs, powdery though not baby-powdery, fresh and sweet and innocent. Smells like a kid with recently-shampooed hair.

Honey (like the honey in Itaso Kansei) and German chamomile are by far the dominant notes, along with pollen, and there's a slight hint of something herbal that must be the hyssop because it's reminding me of I Died for Beauty. No sign of tonka whatsoever, as far as I can tell. It's sweet but not super-sweet like the strong honey scents, really quite charming, but I'm totally never going to wear it.

First sniff: gaggingly sweet. This does not particularly bode well.

Wet: The honey is /so/ cloying. Not what I was hoping for.

Dry: On me, the honey took over the blend completely. I don't get any herbs out of this mostly; they're waaaaaay in the background.

Verdict: off to swaps.

In imp: This scent rings a bell. It reminds me of hot, honey sweetened cups of chamomile and long battles against insomnia.

Wet: This is gorgeous, and so calming. I can def. smell the pollen over the honey, and I think now I know why I like it so much: this is the chamomile my mother would give me before bedtime whe I was little, made with the whole dried flowers and not the sad bag-made thing I now drink. I think it's the pollen/hyssop that give it the whole flower feeling.

Dry: Luckily this doesn't morph much. The honey tones down a bit, the tonka strenghtens and the pollen is still gorgeous. A perfect cup of herbal tea with just the right amount of honey.

Verdict: Big Bottle as soon as possible. This is incredibly soothing and I have a feeling it'll help with my insomnia if only for the good memories it brings back. Cuddly :wub2:

Edited by inkaddict

In the vial: honeysuckle??? Really? Oh wait - it's pollen-dusted honey, and it really does smell like when you sniff a flower and get a dusting of pollen on your nose! I'm not sure about the other notes.

Wet on skin: pollen-y flowers and honey. Very yellow and hedgerow-ish.

Dry on skin: this has the sweet hedgerow feel of Mead Moon and the intense yellowness of Litha. Pollen is the strongest note, still giving the feel of sticking your nose into a bouquet of yellow flowers and getting pollen on your nose. On the far drydown it softens a little, but remains bright yellow pollen and sweet honey.

This is one of the few perfumes containing honey that I've tried that didn't instantly smell like urine.

This is in fact very pretty - I'm definitely getting pollen-dusted honey (it reminds me of the smell of dandelion pollen actually - very very pretty). Lots of chamomile, but it doesn't smell too herbal. Very light and girly.

It reminds me of running around in the summertime, grass-stained knees and daisy chains. Would make a gorgeous first perfume for a young girl.

Not terribly complicated or deep - just simply pretty, and it works nicely.

This isn't really my type of scent, but I really want a bottle to slather myself in when summertime comes.

Fresh, waxy honey and soft chamomile. It's very natural and unassuming-- like a calmer, more herbal version of The Lights of Men's Lives or Ichabod Crane. It's like thin, morning sunlight with a slightly dusty, papery overtone.

Wow. Ok. This is strange. Fresh on, my nose said "Huh? Is this supposed to be woods or resins? Or fruits or some kind of spice? Sort of an everything-but-the-kitchen-sink blend". Very confusing & a bit unpleasant. Then I came here & read the notes. "OH! HONEY!" Now I understand. As long as there's honey in a blend, it turns to sweet funk. This is no exception :(

This is such a pretty scent! It's very warm and gentle and clean, and the honey gives it just enough sweetness to make it feminine without being overwhelming. The chamomile is very pronounced on me, as is the honey, and the combination is soft and sweet and comforting. There's something very warm in the background (the tonka or the hyssop, perhaps? I'm not really sure what either of those smell like), and whatever it is keeps the honey from being too sweet. I can definitely see this being bottle-worthy. It's lovely!

In the vial: Honey, chamomile and something green

On the skin: It starts out pretty true to the smell in the imp, and as it dries the green sharpness (hyssop?) fades to leave behind a soft scent of honeyed chamomile tea. I think I can smell a bit of the tonka as well, but it's mostly honey and chamomile on me. A simple, soft and golden scent.

I really like this, although I have to admit I got an imp simply so I'd know if the chamomile would act up on me (I'm eyeing a bottle of Sachs ;)). I'm definitely keeping my imp. :)

On first application, it's Honey Liek Whoa. Thankfully, it doesn't take long for the tonka and perhaps the chamomile to calm it down and make it into more of a smooth, creamy scent. Once it dries, it tends to hug close to the skin, and seemed to wear off pretty quickly.

Wet: light chamomile

On skin: barely-there honey

Half-hour later: honey slightly warmed up by tonka

In conclusion: this reminds me of Hanerot Halalu, light and delicate. Soft and quiet, while I normally like to wear blends with brashness and "oomph."

In imp: ooohh intriguing. Honey and flowers.

Wet: skin so soft? What gives? Why has it turned on me? Oh wait.. it's opening up now.

Drydown: this is a complicated one on me. It turned out nicely. Honey and flower pollen for sure. I'm good friends with chamomile however not really picking it up. maybe that's the wine like smell in the background. This is like a powdery floral mead.

Not bad but not me.

I really like this blend. It is Honey, chamomile and a dusting of pollen all the way. Makes me want a cup of Chamomile tea. I agree that this would be a good sleep blend. :)

When first on, the honey dominated this blend for me and it almost reminded me of Crib Girls ( :wub2: ). Pretty quickly though, it evolved into something much more sophisticated and almost ambery, which I think is tonka's fault.

Strangely enough, even though vanilla is one of my favorite notes, tonka always smells a bit too... something for me... maybe too creamy or too grown up? I don't know exactly what it is, but I never like tonka blends as much as I hope to, and this one is no exception!

This smelled very floral right after it went on my skin, but dry it became incense - before it's burned, like when you walk into one of those shops that sell flowy dresses imported from India. With good throw and serious staying power. It's nice in its way but doesn't suit me.

Imp: Slightly sour honey with a hint of tonka sweetness and the zip of hyssop. I can't identify what hyssop smells like per se but I can identify it in a blend now. Weird.

Wet: The honey sours but the tonka sweetens and the chamomile comes out to play. Totally weird.

Dry: This is quite pretty, actually. Like a quieter, more skin close Mead Moon. It's not a boozy scent, just a clean, quiet honey blend with a slight swirl of chamomile and hyssop and a grounding base of tonka. The throw is all honey but the up close skin sniff betrays the chamomile and tonka. The hyssop is barely present.

Throw: Mild and skin close.

Overall: I used to mix O into unscented lotion for an allover honey scent but found it was somewhat overpowering even in limited amounts. I could see using this instead as it's quite light and pretty and would make an excellent base for a lot of my preferred scents. Will ruminate on a bottle.

This was a frimp. I get the pollen dusted honey, and the chamomile--but more of a floral thing than herby. That's probably because of the hyssop..the tonka is an underlying creaminess, not so much a main player.

In the imp: VERY sweet honey, VERY sweet vanilla (tonka), gentle chamomile

Drying on my skin: Same as wet, a bit powdery.

Throw and staying power: Light throw

Colour impression: Velvet yellow

Verdict: It's like sitting on a meadow with lots of wild flowers around. Bumblebees and bees are humming in a gentle summerbreeze. You're drinking a light chamomile tea. Lovely!

But then you put 15 spoons of honey in your tea. And lots of vanilla.

:cry2:

Alas, this was too much for me. I loved the gentle herbal undertones of this scent very much but unfortunately the where overwhelmed by too strong honey and vanilla. *sigh*

This is one of those scents that I almost didn't try on because of the scent in the imp. It was waaaaay too overly sweet and I almost smelled caramel? Something teeth-rotting, that's for sure. But I looked up the notes and thought to myself "Uh, there's no way this can be bad", and I was right.

I'm not entirely sure I could pick out the scent of chamomile on it's on, and definitely not hyssop, but the honey in this blend is unmistakable and positively wonderful. There's an herbalness underneath, but nothing strong, nothing frightening. It reminds me of the sunny days at my farmshare when I'd walk into the wildflower meadows to cut flowers. There's something warm and serene and happy about this blend, a comfort that you could wear every day, but could also mean so much if you dabbed it on only once in a blue moon.

Beautiful.

This smells like fancy bar soap - honey and powdery. That is all I am getting. Wet, it is a bit like shampoo with a bit of the sharper smell, and it dries down to soap. Pretty, but soap.

In the imp: Foody in a gross kind of way. Something makes me crinkle my nose!

Wet: An undefinable ugly note. As in the imp, it's foody in an unpleasant way like Penny Dreadful and Blood Kiss were. I'm not too happy about this.

Dry: Yeah, there's something about this that makes me recoil. I can smell it strongly when my arm is down even though I applied it to my elbow. I remember liking Penny Dreadful and Blood Kiss hours after they died down, so perhaps the same will happen here. In the meantime, I'm not thrilled.

Verdict: I want to like this. I smell potential in there. I keep telling myself that the ugly note is "spicy," but no, it's gross.

Edited by furiana

Against Idleness and Mischief - I like this a lot. The honey blends gorgeously well with the tonka, creating an overall smooth, warm, golden scent. The chamomile is fairly subtle, but adds a light touch of calming herbalness to the scent. The hyssop is also subtle, but adds a nice, soft floral touch to the overall scent. The honey is definitely the dominant note, but the others work really well with it. Very pretty scent. Makes me want honey-sweetened tea. :yum: