Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Sol Niger v2 - On my skin, this is heavy, heavy frankincense. There may be something else resinous in there (a hint of myrrh?), but really, it's about as close to a frankincense single note as you can get. Granted, my skin loves frankincense (so do I!) and amps it to the Nth degree. Any other notes are completely drowned out the by the heavy, dark, grittiness of the frankincense. I actually really love it, I just wish I could smell something else in there, too! It has amazing staying power, but again, my skin loves frankincense and clings to it all day long.

In the bottle: Another desert scent. How does she DO that? :think:

Wet: This is similar to Nigredo at this stage. I'm getting a muddle of notes.

Drydown: What a surprise - sweet sugar!

Sol Niger - Black Sun

in the bottle: dry, resinous, dark

wet: much the same

dry: this morphs a lot. it's still hot and dark, but very, very sweet. it's sweet but not at all cloying or sugary.

this is fantastic.

This is an incredibly dark scent. In the bottle, I smell slightly sweet resins, a hint of menthol, and dark tree bark.

On my skin, this is dark, resinous, and sultry. The menthol and weirdness that I smelled in the bottle disappears entirely. This almost smells a little bit ashy or smoky, which I'd normally hate, but I'm really enjoying it here. It makes me think of charred embers, polished wooden benches, and air heavy with sweet incense & shadows.

Sol Niger is so intensely dark, warm, and incensey. It's really interesting, and I don't think that I own anything else quite like it.

In the bottle: Very smoky and bitter-dark. I get some kind of burnt resin, like myrrh only more gritty and flat.

Wet: Vetiver at first, then menthol. I think that's one of the patchouli notes I'm getting, the one that always goes to menthol on me.

Half an hour: Sweeter now, with something warm like sandalwood or perhaps a light resin under the burnt exterior.

Hour and a half: Definitely a warm burnt scent, like wood or resin with a touch of spiciness. It's making me think of The Sportive Sun.

Four hours: As it aged the burned note gentled, and something resinous and slightly spicy warmed up. Now it's almost entirely that one warm note, perhaps sandalwood?

A wonderful forum member provided me with an imp of this...thank youuuu (you know who you are ^_^ )

Sol Niger v2 smells almost exactly like Labores Solis in the vial...and then I put it on my skin and BAM! I'm hit with one of the most glorious resin drenched vetiver scent I have ever experienced :thud: :wub: There must be a bit of menthol in here as well because it's creating a sort of cooling effect on my skin and in my nostrils when I inhale closely. This really makes me think of a black sun....really, it does. I can't wait to read Beths description of this when/if it's ever released (which I'm hoping for because I could wear this stuff every day and it's clearning out my sinuses :lol: I imagine this would also be nice to wear on a really hot summer day as well).

As Sol Niger dries some more it's reminding me of Labores Solis again ('cept with the addition of vetiver and menthol). I'm also starting to get a sugary note. Very interesting (and pretty)!

This is a really gorgeous scent, it's a prototype but I can't think of a way to change it or make this better. Sol Niger v2 is perfect as it is :wub2:

Edited by Monster

Thank you to sunshinedaisybliss for sharing this testable sniffie with me!! :wub2:

In the vial, there is a smoky resin. On my skin, the vetiver comes out in full force, dominating for a while with its sharp, dry, woodsy-grassy character. Overall, the scent is dry, smoky woods with golden resins underneath.

It's not really my thing, but I don't really dig vetiver all that much.

Dark, resinous and gritty. It's a delightful tumble of vetiver and frankincense with a dash of myrrh. As it dries, Sol Niger becomes even smokier. Oh, this is heavenly. It's like what I wanted Labores Solis to be.

It's like I'm smelling something totally different than what everyone else is....I get a slightly golden scent that isn't particularly like frankincense to me, something slightly herbal and medicinal....slightly sharp, slightly menthol.

but overall this is so faint I can really barely detect it.

Woodiness and earthiness, as it dries distinct vetiver emerges. There's also a sweetish note, and some spices. Why do I want to say nutmeg? This one fades bizarrely fast on me; usually the dark scents linger forever, but a few minutes after application and I have to sniff closely to smell it, because I'm getting zero throw. Overall impression is smoky, woody, a tad earthy, resinous and dark, but with just a touch of sweetness and spice. I actually like this one a good bit; I enjoy the darker scents.

Bottle: VETIVER ALL UP IN YER GRILL! Incredibly strong and gritty and dark but there is a smoother edge to here as well.

Wet: The vetiver remains strong but a secondary note emerges that is driving me effin' crazy!! I think it's sassafras and thanks for mentioning nutmeg, myth because that is definitely what it might be. There is a herbal sweetness and mentholic quality that reminds me a lot of Raven Moon.

Dry: Like a drier, grittier Raven Moon. Stab in the dark? Ingredients include vetiver (defs), nutmeg or chili, smidge of sassafras and patchouli. And perhaps cedar. There's something in this--might be sassafras--that reminds me of... Sprite? The scent of Sprite with the strong lemon-lime component stripped out? There is a very light menthol here. It's not a mint but something mentholic. Again, could be sassafras. It's a really interesting blend.

Throw: Strong. Very, very strong.

Overall: I think I like it but I have to be in the mood for it. Where Raven Moon is a slinky scent, this is more of a... killer scent. There's a note in here that lends it a very bloody quality and it's definitely a scent made for kicking ass and taking names. Very aggressive and dark with dry, savoury notes and a smoldering aura. I can see why it's not exactly a forum favourite but it definitely suits the mood if you want to feel dark and brooding and like a very dangerous woman (or man as the case might be. It's a very unisex scent that is probably interesting to smell on different chemistries).

Vetiver, frankincense and woods. This is dark, smoky, gritty. Perhaps a touch of chili and/or patchouli. I also think the woods is definitely cedar. It's like a more feral version of Labores Solis or Raven Moon.

Aggressive, masculine, smoldering.

Had this on my wishlist based on reviews and received an imp in a swap. Because I loves me frankincense.

IN THE IMP: Booze. I don't know why but I am getting strong alcohol on this.

Dabbed on one wrist.

WET: The main scent I get upon application is rubbing alcohol with a slight burn. Whether that's a note or just a sign of aging, I have no idea. But then as that evaporates I do get the frankincense. But it's a sharp burnt acrid frankincense, not one with lovely rounded notes.

DRYDOWN: I don't get the "sugar" notes that some others have mentioned but I can't quite put my finger on what the other notes are, either, for that matter. It's still alcoholic to me. And it goes perfumey instead of holding the frankincense.

OVERALL: It's not bad, but it's not me and it will be passed along, eventually, via swap to someone else who wants to try a rarity.

On a scale of 1-5. a 3.

Oh wow, this is really nice! I was expecting it to be gritty and smoky based on the other reviews but it's actually very smooth mix of vetiver and frankincense with small touches of sweetness and cedar. It's deep and dark but I wouldn't categorize it as sad or brooding. Kinda weird, but it brings to mind lying awake in a forest cottage in the dark of night and contemplating the universe. I really love this. :wub2: