Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ondine

Nepthys v3

Slightly warm and sweet, with an almost fruited note underneath. Like standing on a sunny beach with an orange in your hand, peeling the orange and eating it, and just feeling the warmth, the sunniness, and the sandiness. But you don't smell the orange very well; it's just a subtle fruitiness underneath the sun and sand you're smelling.

It's a very round, smooth blend to me and it's in the family of desert/sand scents. But rather than a desolate, sandblasted desert, it's more like a calm, deserted beach somewhere near your house that you can sneak away to and enjoy.

Wow, this is not at all what I expected. Somehow this manages to smell like a desert and a beach at the same. Or maybe not quite the beach (this does not have a salty quality to it), but a watery oasis or the Nile. It's very dry and warm smelling, with just a hint of water (which doesn't go air freshener on me! woohoo!) and perhaps a golden amber, though it's in no way powdery. It's a very warm and golden smell, but not spicy or smoky, and it's somehow sandy smelling (if that makes sense) but not dusty.

I'm not sure this is me, but it is absolutely GORGEOUS. It's mysterious and makes me think of exotic lands, desert tents, shimmering oasis', and warm perfumed bodies. It's sexy in a completely different way from any other blend I've tried.

In the Bottle: Something indefinably interesting. No idea of the notes.

Wet: Reminds me of sitting beside a fireplace with a cuppa. An autumn scent.

Drydown: It goes to powdered sugar, very pretty. But then later...musk. Really. Fabulous. Elegant. Musk. :thud:

Must hoard many bottles.... *scuttles off*

Wet, this is the boozy chocolate note of Wulric, the Wolfman.

Drydown it turns softer, musty and floral.

Vanilla honey cream behind that musty chocolate booze floral?

EDITED TO ADD: boycat went insane over this. He sniffed my arm and arm thoroughly, trying frantically to find the actual application site on my wrist. Husband was amazed (he'd never seen Neo do that). No, I don't let Neo lick perfume, I turned my arm so that he licked the back of my arm instead.

Edited by Lamia

In the vial: There's a fruit in this that is very pleasant, but very elusive. Also a spice note, but not sharp. This smells quite nice.

Wet: Warm and sweet, but with an underlying sharpness. This needs to develop.

One hour: Now there's something more like a baked good note. The fruity impression isn't as strong as before, but there's a residual sweetness. It kind of reminds me of Haloa.

Two hours: Now I'm getting a resin of some sort, or maybe it's a musk. It's deep, warm, not sweet, not sharp.

Three and a half hours: Oooh, sort of a musky amber. I love this phase, it's quite subtle on me, with not a lot of throw, but an exceptionally pleasant impression down next to my skin.

Five hours: It's gone a bit woody-soapy on me now. What an interesting scent this has turned out to be!

I am having a hard time with this one, because it is one of those that just smells like "perfume" on me, and I have no idea how to break that down into individual component guesses.

Musk, definitely. But not red or black. The perfumey musk, not the soapy musk. I don't know what it is. Other reviews say some kind of fruit, and I guess I can see that... sort of. Maybe. There is something kind of bitter in here that makes me think of orange peels. But this is not at all a foody blend on me. There's a weird sour-chemical smell in here that has got to be some kind of floral being ruined by my skin chemistry... I can make them smell like metallic chemicals for some reason, and there's some of that in here.

I'm probably just not the person to review this scent because I have no idea what it is that I'm smelling and I am obviously doing bad things to whatever it is. This points to some kind of white musk and floral blend, because those are the ones that always go this way.

I got some incense at first, now it seems more sweet and fruity. Actually feels like a cross between White Rabbit and The Head of Holofernes but that probably has more to do with me wearing those two scents than anything else.

A subtle scent, like a cup of black tea with the scent of cold fruitcake wafting in from the kitchen on a breeze.

Hrmmm. Okay, I got a whiff of lemongrass at the beginning, and maybe a hint of coconut (admittedly, I am both of those sucker) on wet, but as it dries, I get more of a 'sandy' blend. There's definitely musk in it (not red), and so I get a slightly fruity, perfumey musk, that is definitely 'desert' like and 'incense' like.

I think this smells like soap. A fancy and expensive soap made with lots of essential oils by small company, but it's still soap.

Underneath the soap there's a warm musky-musk, and some sort of flower.

in the bottle: Orange!

wet: a splash of bright orange citrus with something slightly spiced backing it. There is definitely a floral in here - something that has the tendency to be a little "old lady-ish" on me. Definitely some amber and musk as well.

drydown: the citrus fades fast leaving a dusty, musky smell. This one definitely smells very "perfume-y" to me, but I kind of like that.

verdict: I think this is a keeper.

Edited by Ellebelle

This is really interesting and quite elusive.. I'm getting faint hints of orange blossom, and maybe cherry blossom also. There's also something almond-like going on here. It somehow manages to be quite creamy and musky, and dry at the same time - I suspect amber is present, and maybe some skin musk.

Very pretty without being girly, this is a mysterious and exotic kind of blend that I keep going back to for another huff :smile:

I sniffed this at the Trunk Show a loooooong time ago. Just now found my notes...

Sand and desert. Not what I was expecting...

In the bottle and wet on my skin, this is cocoa, which struck fear into my heart because I hate the cocoa note. However, within seconds it morphs into a gorgeous dry fruity blend. The cocoa fades until it's no longer identifiable as "cocoa" and exists only to make the blend feel sandy and arid, in a really awesome way. On top of that is a beautiful coconut/fruit/floral/musk. I generally dislike fruit blends, but this one is the right combination of tropical and citrus without being too sweet (which is what usually kills me on fruity stuff). The fruit smell is very fresh and realistic, not at all cloying or fake. The reviewer who described it as eating fruit on a dry sandy beach was right on the money, with some sexiness thrown in there too. Amazing, and I'm so glad I managed to pick up plenty of this blend. :D

I wasn't sure what to think of this based on the other reviews, as it sounds so different on everyone. On me, I seem to amp up whatever cheap, musky scent this has going on. It's like a bad drugstore perfume on me - sharp, perfumey musk with fakey white floral undertones and something sickly sweet and slightly fruity underneath the sharpness. The drydown is a bit soapy, but all in all it's just too sharp and musky-perfumey for me to handle.

Nepthys v3 - This is a very perfumey and musky scent that's got resins and the arid quality of sand about it. It's a very desert-like scent. It's not particularly pleasant to me -- the musk has too sharp of an edge and the overall effect is cloying.