Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Persephone76

Dorian v2

I have been comparing this side-by-side with Dorian all day. I am just going to start off by saying that Dorian v2 is seriously OMGlove in a bottle. :heart:

This is a fairly complex scent with an interesting drydown. It starts with an initial quasi-masculine blast of dry herbs, lavender and tea (lavender-haters, fear not, the lavender disappears rather quickly), which reminds me more of Lilith Victoria than Dorian. It quickly morphs into a very feminine creamy black tea/coconut/dry grassy scent that is pure heaven. The dry grasses are in no way green, but more of a sweet hay/chamomile temperament. I quite prefer this to either Dorian or Lilith Victoria.

In summary, it's Dorian minus lemon candy plus creamy coconut/hay and it is made of win. :wub2:

ETA: I also find Dorian v2 to be quite sensual, which I don't get from the released version. Forgot to mention that!

Edited by Persephone76

I'm one of the few people who doesn't really like Dorian (the released version) but I definitely like this prototype. On me, it's heavy on the lavender, which I love, and settles into a creamy lavender scent. It's like a lighter version of TKO without the sharp note that I find TKO has; like lavender marshmallows or lavender tea. I don't pick up any of the grassy notes Persephone76 caught.

My only complaint is that it doesn't have much throw at all; I really have to have my hand near my nose to catch the scent at all. I wish there were a way to amp this!

Dorian v2 - My thoughts are very similar to ondine's -- this reminds me a lot of TKO, only much more subtle. It's heavy on the lavender, and has a sweet note beside it like marshmallows or ultra-sweet cream. I don't detect the hay/grass note at all -- I think the first reviewer may have been picking up on tea leaves in this scent? I actually find the sweetness of this scent to be extremely cloying to the point that it's nauseating. Fortunately (for my stomach), it's very subtle with virtually no throw. I do like the released Dorian and think I'll just stick with that one.

Looks like 2 different chemistry types are showing up with this prototype. I tend to agree more with Persephone's review. I thought I was going nuts when I smelled coconut, but I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one. :P

I find Dorian v2 to be somewhat similar to the released version, but with more lavender, less lemon, and an added bit of coconut. The lavender tones down pretty quickly on my skin, and the coconut seemed stronger as time when on. Still has the musky tea quality that I love about Dorian, but the added lavender and coconut make this blend more creamy and delicate than the original. I really love it!

First, a huge thank you to the lovely Persephone76, who not only sold me on this one but totally shared her stash. :)

I'd usually do a first sniff/wet/drydown/dry breakdown here, but my brain shorted out the second this blend hit my skin. On me, it bears very, very little resemblance to the released version (which is in my top ten BPAL blends). I love this one more. It's reminiscent of L'Estate, not in components, but in the feel of it - it's creamy and warm and rounded and regal, and like nothing I've ever smelled before.

Absolutely gorgeous. One of the most beautiful BPAL blends I've ever tried. Ever.

I love this as well -

at first it is a very lavender version of dorian, but then once it dries the lavender burns off again and the blend becomes balanced, creamy, sweet and beautiful! I get the same vibe as the emathides, but the notes are pretty different.

It didn't feel like coconut to me, but I will try again with that thought in mind to see if I can pull that out.

I tried this blend at a MnS at the lovely schackjj's place and all I can say is OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.

Mel and Jo made fun of me because I looked like a TB test gone horribly wrong by the end of the afternoon since to keep track of the oils and what went where I'd circle where I put them and write the name next to the circle. I did Dv2 and the released version on opposite arms to give a comparison. The difference to me was subtle but enough to have be begging Jo to buy her bottle off her throughout the whole afternoon :lol:

v2 on my skin was very vanilla. In fact, it is the PERFECT vanilla-lavender scent. If you like released Dorian but sometimes wish it were sweeter and more feminine, this is the Dorian you want. When it dried, it was the ultimate smell of southern sweet tea. :yum:

For the record: I get absolutely NO coconut. There is a faint lavender/tea scent... enough to make sure that you know its Dorian, but with a lovely dab of vanilla cream which fades slowly until the aforementioned sweet tea drydown. It lasted most of the day but gave off little throw. However, it is a winner and plans are currently being finalized for a little BnE at Jo's house to steal the bottle :ninja:

(just kidding, Jo!)

Ok, I brought over my Dorian imp so I can compare the two blends-v2 is definitely a bit less sweet and sugary and more muted, soft and lavendered (yes, that is a word now :P)

I seem to be the only one who finds this LESS sweet than the final product, but is definitely less sugary to my nose. Also maybe a bit less tea, and a bit more herbal/lavender-y. Someone compared it to subtle TKO. A wearable day perfume version of TKO instead of the nighttime aromatherapy blend.

Yes, a mix of Dorian and TKO...very pretty-heavier on the lavender, lighter on the sugar and tea. Lovely!

Many thanks to my Convergence buddy for frimping me this gem!! This is a beautiful lavender vanilla, on the drydown. I really don't think that it even compares to Dorian. If I compared it to anything it would be Lilith Victoria meets TKO, I kind of get a bit of Wulric here as well. I don't get any lemon or tea notes here, just a soft, gentle predominant vanilla with a touch of lavender. Nothing to me is sharp with this blend, it is very relaxing and would be great as a bedtime scent. WIN! :wub2:

I have to go with the majority who describe this as a softer version of TKO.

I love Lavender, but while the TKO blend is a sharp lavender, this is much more mellow. I get lavender & vanilla tea out of this blend...and maybe...maybe a little lemon in the background.

A very comforting, peaceful scent. I've slathered it on my arms for bedtime tonight. :zzz:

Off white and liquidy. Fresh coconut mostly, and Dorian without the gorgeous musky aspect. I can still smell the Dorian, but it's...different. Obviously, lol My chemistry sometimes does weird things to this blend and it becomes chemically. I like it, but I'm not sure I love it.

Well, count me in with the group getting coconut! On my skin, there is a predominant coconut note, followed quickly by lavender. The lemon and tea notes present in the released version don't show up on me, and I'm also not getting any of the musk that comes out in the released version either. This is creamy and soft, and I would agree with the comparisons to Lilith Victoria and TKO, but this isn't as sugary as TKO gets on me. Very soft and fluffy. I quite like this, but it's just not me.

In the imp, this smells to me like Dorian with a hint of coconut! Yup, I get it too! :D

On my skin, I still get the coconut, along with sugary tea. I think Dorian has gone on holiday to a tropical place with his tea, but has left the lemons at home. I don't get any lavender at all!

Dry: Oh god, it reminds me of something but I can't for the life of me think what it is! I actually think it's some kind of men's aftershave or shampoo that has coconut in. This would work SO well on a guy.

I like it, but I think I'll stick to my beloved Dorian as it is more delicate.

Edited by redderz

Mmm... sweet and yummy, with an edge of mint? Something encircling all the sweetness, something manly.

I'm not really a fan of Dorian but this is nice. A little girlier than I remember the original.

Wow. Dorian v2, is definitely the feminine Dorian of the two. Sugared lemon tea with a punch of coconut. This is so pretty. After initial application it is very strong, but quickly dries to a soft, wispy, creamy, barely there - coconut tea.

eta: I don't smell lavender, but I can totally see the reference to Lilith Victoria.

Edited by Schmoozy

I smell fresh from the dryer laundry and clean guy. There is also something sweet and feminine.

There's a lot of lavender coming out when it's drying on my skin.

*le sigh*

I've never tested the released Dorian, so I don't know how this compares, but I don't like this version.

This is a softer more feminine version of Dorian. It is a sugared lavendar over tea without the lemon. I get both the lavendar and a hint of coconut. I like this alot.

I love this...I haven't smelled Dorian v3 yet, but this smells a lot like the released version + a light men's cologne and a hint of coconut. I must confess that this smells a lot more Dorian Gray-ish than the original and I love it!

This is such a soft and delicate scent - it does stray pretty far from the released Dorian - which is much heavier on me. When I first applied it - it was all vanilla and lavendar - reminding me of Lilith Victoria, TKO, and Gladdener of all Hearts. Now that it has settled in, it is a soft creamy coconut tea - very pretty but very little throw unfortunately. This is one of the best coconut notes that I've ever found in a scent, and I wish it would throw like 1000 feet (hehe)

Some citrus and powdery cleanness that makes me think of diapers [clean ones!] from the vial.

On skin a cologney aspect amps like mad, and it becomes soapy. Manly soap.

The soaps rolls back once it's dry, and then I might smell tea. Still very cologney, but much more pleasant now. Masculine, but not the kind I like. I might be picking up on some vanilla, or something a little sweet, also.

Looking at other reviews I see they say lavender, so I checked it again and yes, but it's so soft and unlike the usual BPAL face-slapping lavender I didn't recognize it. I think that's what registering as cologney to me. Hmm... coconut... maybe? That could be the sweetness. But it's not very coconutty to me, which, BPAL coconut often isn't, so that may or may not mean anything.

This isn't terrible once fully dry, but it's not really my kind of scent.

I'm not getting the lavender or coconut that others have mentioned with this blend. This is like a dryer, sharper, cleaner, more sophisticated Dorian to me. It makes me think of dry vanilla musk and hints of clean laundry, but all wrapped up in this arrogant, well polished, cologne-like smell. I actually think that this fits the concept of Dorian even better than the released version (but I'm crazy about the released version as well). I normally don't like anything clean or sharp, but the sweetness and edge that this has keep me coming back to it again and again... The drydown on me is pure heaven and so hard to describe. I'd love this on a man or a woman.

Edited by Little Bird

In bottle: Hmm. Vanilla soapyness. It's sharp, soap-like, with a hint of vanilla tea. Very strange when I know what the released version smells like. XD

On me: Astringent tea and soft vanilla with... something citrus like? Very faint and familiar in the back. It's not as mellow as GC Dorian, not as warm.

30 minute dry down: A little soapy, a little powdery. It has a strange vanilla undertone along with this old lady funk. It has a hell of a throw, though.

This is if you mix Dorian and TKO - I get the same lavender note in TKO with Dorian's vanilla base with a hint of tea.

Tasty, but I'm sure you wouldn't get the same result if you mixed Dorian and TKO, with a slightly heavier hand on the TKO.

Origin:

Tested from Scrappy. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

I really like Dorian (it's earned a spot in my favorites box and will probably live there indefinitely), so I'm excited to try the prototype versions. Based on reviews, I'm expecting Dorian + lavender and coconut.

First sniff:

The previous reviewers are spot-on. This is Dorian plus lavender and coconut. It has less coconut than v3, but there's still a tropical creaminess to it. The lavender is relatively soft and not too herbal.

Wet on skin:

This is more like TKO than it is the released version of Dorian. I get the vanilla tea from Dorian, but the overall impression of v2 is more of a Victorian gentleman's cologne. Sort of a foppish scent, with the sweetness of the vanilla and tea and the classic smell of the lavender.

Dry down:

Dorian v3 a little more gentlemanly and a little less foppish than v2 to my nose, thanks to the lavender, but it's still very much a gender neutral sort of scent. I can easily imagine Dorian Gray wearing this.

The bottom line:

Of the three versions of Dorian (the released version, v2 and v3), my favorite is still the released version. Of the two prototype versions, I have to say that I prefer v3. This version has a little too much lavender for my tastes, although I do like this. I think that if v2 had a stronger Dorian base to it, I'd like it more. It's nice as it is, but it's not something I'll need to track down a bottle of.

Very coconutty upon first application. V2 is much more subdued with added lavendar (doesn't seem like French Lavendar to me as it isn't too sharp or herbal) and coconut. The citrus is much more toned down in this, which I prefer. The tea, musk, and a bit of a vanillic quality round this blend out beautifully. Love it.