Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
ami226

Osiris v4

In the bottle: Resiny and very slightly woodsy. Reminds me of the sweet wood (teak maybe? tonka?) from Wood Phoenix.

On the skin: This blend takes on a life of its own! So pleasant and comforting! I have never smelled anything quite like this before and can't equate it with any places I have been. So unique! On me, the dry down is sweetish, yet with an overall resiny base.

I don't usually like scents like this, so the notes are extremely hard to place. Very lovely though! I could see this as being an excellent scent on the right man. Now where is my SO.... hee hee!

-EDIT- This one also lasts FOREVER on my skin. Wow! And it also has an amazing throw!

Edited by Catseyes

Wet, I'm pretty sure I'm getting black patchouli from this. This is such a dark and powerful seeming blend (pretty poignant since Osiris is often thought of as a god of death, right?). Quite a while later, the note that I'm associating as patchouli mellows down to a spicy woodsy sort of scent.

This is a gorgeous, dark, and very regal sort of scent.

ETA: OMGOMGOMG! Yes! edenssixthday hit the nail on the head in her post here, in the dry-down, there is something in Osiris that is reminiscent of Glowing Vulva! *swoons*

Edited by devilot

Osiris v4 - This is an amazing scent! This was in a second batch of bottles to come out for testing at Dark Delicacies and my nose was broken from so much sniffing with the first round of blends that were there that night, so by the time I got to Osiris, I couldn't identify any notes at all. I thought it smelled nice enough to pick up a bottle. Now that I've put it on my skin, I'm kicking myself because I should have picked up at least one backup bottle. It's really incredible. It reminds me of both Glowing Vulva and Inez. My first thoughts regarding notes were amber, vanilla musk, and cardamom. After it had been on my skin for a while, I began to wonder if there are woods in the blend, too -- red woods, specifically...like maybe a touch of red sandalwood? No matter what, this is a gorgeous scent. Resinous, woody, musky, creamy-sweet, and spicy. It's going to be one of the biggest hits among the Cobwebs 3 prototypes.

Purrsnickety was lovely enough to get a bottle of this for me (among about a dozen others) and I agree - it's going to be a massive hit among the Cobwebs 3 Protos.

I put this on and instantly had sandalwood headbutt me in the nose with the twin crowns of Egypt. Sandalwood is usually a bad thing on me - it amps-amps-amps leaving me smelling like a piece of old, musty furniture (at least in my head). This time, it's still there, but with a sweetness and creaminess to it. Edenssixthday was spot-on when she said it's got elements of Glowing Vulva about it - but on me, it takes on more of a woody aspect, possibly with a dash of something incense.

I'm not getting the spiciness - but then, spices tend to go bland and flat on me, more's the pity.

My brain just informed me that Osiris is the love-child of Glowing Vulva, Black Lace, and MB: Underpants with a little Indonesian handcrafted keepsake box thrown in. Lovely, but not really my scent, I think...

There is definitely a GV@RB vibe with Osiris v4. I'm wondering if it's the teak and cream accord combo working it's magic in this one. However, it is a tad 'darker' than GV@RB and I believe I detect some earthy patchouli a la Schwarzer Mond. It's almost like this is meant to be a slightly masculine version of GV@RB.

Whaaaaat. Okay, no one else has said this so I think it might be my weird nose, but wet, Osiris v4 smells like a BPAL version of Villainess's Ginger Snapped to me. The spice is not ginger, though -- maybe it's cardamom, I'm not sure what cardamom smells like. Oh! I found a description that puts it in the family of not-quite-clove and not-quite cinnamon, and that sounds right. Dry, some sort of woodiness comes out, but nothing that overwhelms the spice. And I smell something sweet like vanilla in there, too. The spiciness is definitely the star here, though.

If there are ambers or resins in here, they're behaving. Both of those suspects usually turn to powder on my skin, but there's no powder to be found in this blend. This is a lovely spicy oil that gets away with being masculine without being too heavy for me to wear, which is rare. It's long-lasting too! It softens a little bit as time goes on but retains the spicy goodness, just with rounded edges instead of in-your-face spice.

I can't usually pull off scents like this, and don't really wear them very often when I CAN pull them off, and even I think Osiris is pretty great; I'm glad I got to sniff it!

Edited by karen

In the Bottle: Spices! Lots of different spices. Some ginger. This reminds me most of Jingo-Kogo.

Wet: Terrific depth, and not so much like J-K on the skin (drat). Lots of dry spices here. I can't decide whether I like it in this stage or not...

Drydown: This is Jingo-Kogo's rough-and-tumble older cousin. Definitely some rough edges. I don't think it's for me, though.

I really hate it when people compare a rare scent to other rare scents, but that's what I'm about to do. Before I read the rest of the reviews I was going to say it's like a masculine version of Lamia, because they both have clove and I apparently amp clove so I get that strong similar vibe from both of them. But after reading the reviews I had to sniff it against Glowing Vulva, and I'd say yeah, some of that creamy teak could be going on. And the sniffing of it as compares to Hellhound was random and accidental, but it shares similarities with it as well. So it's kind of an intersection between GV, Hellhound, and Lamia, which sounds weird because I don't necessarily think the three of those compare against each other.

Minus comparisons to other scents [which are only helpful if you've smelled those scents, which is back to why I hate comparing things to rares] I'd say this is a dark and slightly dry/dusky scent, with clove, some wood that may be teak, some kind of slightly herbal component I think, and I suppose there could be sandalwood. It's in the dry-woody-spicy family with Sunbird, as well, although I wouldn't exactly compare it directly to Sunbird, but you can see the family resemblance. It has a slightly powdery edge that doesn't bother me, but I think it might go too powdery on the particularly powdery-sensitive.

I'm not 100% certain this one works on me. [i'm still trying to figure that out about Hellhound, too, a year later! ;)] I need to do a full-on wear and see how it goes. I like clove despite its ampage, and the woodiness pleases me, but something about this that is the Hellhound-similar note [and Antikythera Mechanism, now that I think about it, so tobacco maybe?] just doesn't quite pull it off on me. Right now this one is staying on the right side of the line though, so it warrants further testing and wear.

Smokey clovey vanillay goodness. Like Velvet Bandito and sandalwood. Exactly what I was hoping Tetramorph would be before I realized it was sweetened with honey. This is insanely smooth and just...gorgeous. There's even the tiniest hint of sarsaparilla in there. So..so..good. It's a snuggly, hot smelling scent, with golden sunset colors.

OSIRIS v4: No description (prototype)

In Bottle: Heavy resins

On Skin: Very sweet and dark resins, with a gritty almost dirty note. I smell a sarsaparilla note that I got from Storyville, but here it's more raw and not as sweet. I get a soft delicate wood as a base with the resins soaking into it. This scent has a dark red feeling to me, and a regal, rich feel. I think there is patchouli in it which is giving that dirty tone... but it's the sweet patchouli I like from Schwarzer Mond. As it develops further, it loses some of it's strength and mellows out nicely. I get a light minty note in the background too. It is unisex and would beautiful on everyone. I am very happy to have a bottle. Moderate to strong throw and average wearlength.

I got a very generous decant of this in a PIF from Catseyes so a review is in order!

In the imp this smells very similar to Antikythera Mechanism to me. Teak is a big player and I'm pretty sure I smell tobacco. Once it's on my skin it warms up and gets a bit of sweetness to it. At this stage it's a spicy-sweet blend with a big helping of teak. It stays pretty true through the drydown. Once it's fully dry it gets a sort of sandy, earthy note to it. I think it's patchouli I'm smelling.

In the far drydown the sweetness intensifies and it gets a sort of creamy feel to it. I agree that it smells like a relative of Glowing Vulva with the teak/spice/creamy sweetness combo. :yum:

In any case, it's a beautiful blend and I will be hoarding my partial decant. ;)

Edited by unlaced

Uh oh... getting the Ketchup Note of DOOOM a lá one of the 13s (purple, orange number).

Woodsy. With ketchup. Yep, I'm not going to be able to review any further because of this ketchup thing. I wonder what it is... it's kind of like a heavily incense infused wood. It's actually getting nicer as I get used to it but I don't think I could ever wear anything that makes me think ketchup.

:cry2:

In the vial: This one's hard to make out. I get something like an aquatic, but that's just a top note for something much richer. There's a strong spice impression, too, maybe it's a spicy sort of amber or resin? And there's something like a baked good, that usually means tonka to my nose.

Wet: Well, I don't know how to describe it beyond what I just noted, but I do know that I like it. My nostrils are inadvertently flaring to suck in more of this scent. The aquatic impresison seems to be intensifying; it's a salty note.

Half an hour: Still that baked goods note, with spicy resinous overtones. The salty aquatic impression is fainter but still there. Osiris is more friendly and cuddly than his brother Set, in fact, almost disarmingly so.

Hour and a half: Still warm, sweet, spicy, rich, but soft and cudldy at the same time.

Two and a half hours: As before, only softer. There's a note that's almost like fennel or anise straining to assert itself; I wonder what that is?

Four hours: And yet softer, but still recognizable. I like this one quite a lot, but it doesn't work well enough on me to be a love.

I fully recognize that this smells lovely, but to me it's got this cloying, sickly aspect that is a total turnoff. In a way, that's good for a scent named for the God of the Dead ;)

Final summation: sickly sweet mummy + ornate coffin wood.

on first sniff I get a fizzy chocolate soda. To my knowledge fizzy chocolate soda doesn't exist, though I could be wrong. But this smells like fizzy, cocoa, and cola. Possibly this is partially because I haven't had breakfast yet, but it's making me hungry.

Now I'm getting a musky wood note, but still mostly chocolate/cocoa and cola.

This blend is interesting and complex though ultimately just not for me.

Okay, so this one starts as a pretty resinous/sandy blend, and dries down to the same sandalwood as in Jingo Kogo. Whereas JK had that citrus bit going on, this one is the sweet, powdery, sandalwood underneath.

There's also another note in there I can detect, slightly herbalish and masculine, but I can't quite place it.

This is the JK for guys.

Wet, this reminds me of a spicy Glowing Vulva. I think it's nutmeg. As it dries, it almost fades to nothing, and I get the faintest whiff of wood and spices.

An hour later, and this blend just blooms. I get a more feminine Antikythera Mechanism now, still a spicy, sweet woody blend, but more wearable than AK to me. Very nice, and I'll treasure my imp!

Osiris v4: I just tried this today while decanting, and on my skin, it's a more resinous Black Lace that fades very fast. :(

This is WONDERFUL! :wub2: I'm in love. This is the best parts of The Antikythera Mechanism with Black Lace. And something else. It is slightly masculine smelling on the outset, but as it dries it gets creamier and much more wearable. It's very comforting and rainy day appropriate. And yes, there are hints of Lamia in here too. But where I found Lamia to be too golden, Osiris is a little darker.

I get lots of dark, slightly bitter wood and baby powder from this scent at first (maybe teak and sandalwood, as other reviewers have mentioned). It's also darkly resinous and has a spicy men's cologne smell about it. The scent sweetens up in the drydown, but I was hoping that it would be even sweeter and more vanilla-y than it actually is on me. I also can't pick out the patchouli that other reviews have mentioned, which is a shame, beacuse I *love* patchouli.

All in all, Osiris v4 is a little too dark & bitter for me at first, and then the drydown is a bit too powdery for my tastes.

I almost didn't try this after sniffing, but something said "Dooo eeet!" and I am so glad I did.

It must be teak wood, as this reminds me of Antikythera Mechanism a lot, but there is an added ingredient that turns a tad powdery. A very close relative of AM for sure!

I'm getting teakwood, dark vanilla, a little bit of resins and tobacco. This reminded me a lot of The Antikythera Mechanism, but stronger.

First application, I get woods; teak and maybe oak? I'm unsure but they are very smooth. For some reason, I smell leather in this but it's very light, not at all the strong chemically leather that I am familiar with. I think that the leather that I percieve to be there may not be and is just the combined patch in this mixing with the woods. This reminds me of how I thought Spanked would smell like. Woods, a bit of leather, glorious patchouli that is slightly sweet and herbal with a bit of vanilla and spice. It's bold and assertive but not aggresive at all. Seemlessly blended and lovely.