Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

The Unicorn or Hecate but my fall back is Mania because I have never actually tried either of those scents and I need something to wear if I don't like them!

I decided on a blend of Punkie Night and The Doormouse, crisp, tart apples and freshly brewed tea with just a hint of florals and spice. Very summery and a good, sensible scent to match my Ravenclaw outfit.

final decisions for Bellatrix: Bloody Sword layered with Nahemoth!

Ooh! That sounds perfect, name-wise and scentwise!

I wasn't wearing any BPAL when I went to buy my copy, but I was wearing Penny Dreadful in my mind, cause that's what I was planning to wear when my sister hurried me out of the house.

:P

Edited because I was OT

Edited by Neptunienne

I wore Serpent's Kiss for the first half and Dragon's Hide for the rest.

I had put Selkie on that morning, but it was long gone by midnight when I got the book. And, as I'm camping and only brought a few imps with me, I ended not wearing anything for the reading.

I finished it 30 minutes ago. :P

Ironically, I think I was also wearing Selkie when I went to see the last movie a week or so ago! I always forget to plan ahead for these things.

Just in case you wanted to know.....

My hubby is part of the local theatre group that was asked by Borders to come in character to the midnight release party.

Lucky girl that I am.....I am married to Severus Snape! And he wore Doc Constantine.

I went over wearing Wanda. Snape likes Wanda...........

I don't have the book, but I'm going to see the movie tomorrow as part of my b'day celebration on Monday and I'll be wearing Midnight Mass layered with Arcana's Holy Terror. It seems fitting somehow.

I was going to go as a pregnant hermione since whatever I did would involve being pregnant. Sadly a movie already did that so I felt like it was over done. I agree with someone else who said Miskatonic U for Hermione. That is so her.

I was a dork. I did not dress up and I think I did not wear any scent either outside of my Cant Sleep, Clowns Will Eat Me IOE bath soap.

I was thinking about Snake Oil, but then I did it one better by wearing Boomslang. Magical serpent, potions ingredient, smells great and fun to say!

My friend Em and I slathered ourselves in Punkie Night.

She went as Narcissa Malfoy.

I went as a cross between Tonks and some random Ravenclaw witch.

Hey! I'm a total BPAL virgin but I am in a swap on craftster.org in prep for the new Harry Potter movie being released and my partner loves BPAL. I am looking for suggestions for any scents that could seem like they are out of the movie please. Pumpkins, magic, spells, spiders, bats, anything please!

ACK! Sorry for the typo in the title, I do mean HARRY Potter.

Edited by Lolli

Welcome, Lolli!

The first thing that came to mind was Mandrake which is sort of a dusty/cedary scent. Since you're new to the boards and BPAL I'm going to recommend scents you can get as imps because it's a lot easier and economical to start with imps than dive right into bottles.

Troll vetiver, pine pitch, troll musk, black basil, clove smoke, and scorched cumin.

Mountain trolls!

Black Forest Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress.

I feel like I'm losing my Harry Potter nerd cred. It took me a very long time to remember it's called the Forbidden Forest.

Hellcat hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

And now I'm really losing my HP cred. I can't remember the name of the drink they get at the pub in the village. Very vague but I hope you know the place I mean.

Jack The scent of warm, glowing jack o'lanterns on a warm autumn night: true Halloween pumpkin, spiced with nutmeg, glowing peach and murky clove.

Off the top of my head this is the only GC scent with pumpkin in it.

Magus galangal, high john essence, frankincense, cedar, and sandalwood.

I'm going to assume this is probably what Dumbledore smells like.

The Obsidian Widow Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

I don't think HP has quite the traditional steampunk aesthetic but it has a bit of that steampunk feeling and I think this scent kind of captures that line between pure magical inspiration and steampunk.

And then I just sat here for awhile really overthinking this and came up with scents for each house:

Tintagel The scent of a castle's great hall in the midst of joyous feasting. Spicy mulled wine flowing through the musky heat, warm leather and bright clash of armor, the damp branches of Cornish hawthorn, blackthorn, juniper, English elm and bayberry, and the magical tingle of dragon's blood resin.

For Gryffindor.

Dee soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Ravenclaw.

Bow and Crown of Conquest sage, carnation and cedar with lavender, vanilla, white musk and leather.

Slytherin.

Sundew A carnivorous enchantress: diverse, lovely and graceful, emitting a sticky, glowing golden, sweet and terminally inviting scent. Its dew is believed to grant eternal beauty and longevity, and restore vitality and vigor to the magician.

Hufflepuff (sounds a bit sinister but it's actually very cheerful and warm).

I hope there's a good variety there to not only help you find a good scent for the new movie but also to help you determine what works out on your skin. Now if you'll excuse me, this thread has inspired me to go reread all the books.

That's a great list, paperrose!

I have to add... The Apothecary - "Tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig."

To me, it's the smell of a Hogwarts classroom :) Or maybe Dumbledore's private chamber.

Grog (bewitching brews) smells just like butterscotch and is how I imagine butterbeer would smell.

Edited by Siberia

Hellcat hazelnut, buttercream, honey mead, rum and sweet almond.

And now I'm really losing my HP cred. I can't remember the name of the drink they get at the pub in the village. Very vague but I hope you know the place I mean.

Butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks. ;) And, yes, that is a great suggestion. Actually, I second all your suggestions.

It's hard to recommend scents since I have no idea what may or may not be to your (or your swap partner's) taste scent-wise, but here's some thoughts. I will also keep to the General Catalogue to make things easy on you (but if you wind up addicted to BPAL yourself, there's probably a ton of other suitable things that will merely be a little harder to come-by).

Schrodinger's Cat: tangerine, sugared lime, pink grapefruit, oakmoss, lavender, zdravetz and chocolate peppermint.

This just makes me think of Honeyduke's. It's so chaotic and sparkly and full of sweets.

Wrath: dragon's blood resin, black pepper, clove and cinnamon.

Dragon battle in the Triwizard Tournament? Dragon's blood resin always screams magic to me, but not everyone loves it.

Jester: huckleberry, red currant and neroli.

Weasley's Wizard Wheezes or something like that. Fun and buoyant. Though I really should have tried to find something with gunpowder thrown in.

Serpents with Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues: green herbs, red currant, lemon rind, green musk, lime and skakeskin.

This scent should be called Parseltongue.

Phoenix Steamworks: burnished gold and bronze, Abramelian incense and sage.

Sounds like cauldrons, embers and herbs to me. Seems very antique and wizardy.

Horreur Sympathique: blood musk, honey, black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax and sugar cane.

Brings to mind the spoiled, dark decadence of Grimmauld Place. Seems to have an "old money," Death Eater feel to it.

The Lion: golden amber and spice.

Good (though obvious) alternate suggestion for Gryffindor. But, really, it's bravery in a bottle.

The White Rabbit: black tea, milk, white pepper, ginger, honey, vanilla and clean linen.

Just feels like a morning at Hogwarts. Sounds very English.

The Witch's Garden: morning glory vines, rampion, carrot, parsley, monkshood, hemlock, elfwort, sage, wormwood and mandrake.

Many great potions ingredients in there. Plus it reminds me of the Burrow. It's a little more floral than it sounds and it's what I imagine when Harry smells the Amortentia and senses "something flowery that he thought he might have smelled at the Burrow" (which is really Ginny).

Um, that's all for now, but I could probably waste a ton of time thinking about this.

Edited by Aldercy

These aren't based on scent, just the actual names. I wish I had all these because I'd love to put a set of Harry Potter labels on them for you. As a huge Potter fan I know I'd be thrilled to get them as a gift.

potion ingredients:

BELLADONNA

BLACK HELLEBORE

MANDRAKE

WOLFSBANE

BOOMSLANG

BEZOAR

magical items:

HAND OF GLORY

SHRUNKEN HEADS

characters:

Fenris Wolf (Remus Lupin)