Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Nonae Caprotina

The scent is of goat’s milk, ripe fig, and a hint of sweet myrrh.

Back in 2009, I decided not to review this scent right after receiving it, because there was a sour note in it that was off-putting to me. However, I thought some aging could solve the problem, so I put my decant away and more or less forgot about it.

More than a year later, I am pleased to report that the sourness is indeed completely gone. Instead, I am treated to a soft, sugared milk note with a hint of fruit - fairly similar to Boo!, only much more subdued.

This will be absolutely perfect for days when Boo! feels too strong and sweet. Wecome back to the regular rotation, Nonae Caprotina - we're glad to have you back :)

Thoughts before testing; I was pretty sure that this was going to smell god-awful on my skin. Milk, fig, and myrrh? It sounded like a recipe for disaster!

Wet: Fig doesn't usually work on my skin, but this is surprisingly wonderful! The fig here isn't too dirty, just slightly earthy in the best way, and the milk is sweet rather than sour. No hint of myrrh, and I'm quite surprised at how much I like this.

Dry down: This is actually really nice! It hasn't changed except is maybe just a little deeper.

Dry: The myrrh finally makes an appearance and rounds the scent out into full bodied amazingness.

Final thoughts: I'm so surprised at how much I love this!

Verdict: I'll be keeping an eye on the sales page for more of this.

Let me preface this review by saying that I own dairy goats, and I love to rest my face on their sun-warmed backs and smell their sweet goatly smell. Also, in my family we are positively religious about yogurt. So if ever there was a scent with my name written on it, it's probably this one. :)

On my skin, Nonae Caprotina smells like Greek yogurt or sour cream mixed with fresh, sweet, delicious figs. I don't smell much goat in it, just the appealing tanginess of fermented dairy.

The oil goes through a frighteningly sweet stage about half an hour after application, but then mellows to a warm, creamy, comforting scent that I can't stop sniffing. It makes me happy.

This scent strikes me as both an extraordinary testament to Beth's art, and an extremely odd thing to do! But I'm certainly glad that she did it. STANDING OVATION. I need to acquire more of this.

in bottle: A rich, warm, and very natural (not perfumey) scent. The three notes take turns coming to the top. Good throw.

wet: The myrrh and fig take dominance, giving it a bit of sharpness. Throw is reduced quite a bit.

drydown: The milk gives it an underlying warmth and creaminess, although it can't be smelled distinctly until later. Throw returns quickly and continues to gradually strengthen. Sweetens over time.

verdict: A wonderful, semi-foody scent that is light, yet sensual. Definitely would not mind having more of this.

I feel like I'm the only person who doesn't like the milk note in this. :( But this seems to hold true for every company I've tried that has the buttery milk note. Don't be fooled; I love cream and milk notes, but the particular curdled, buttery...goaty variety is not something I want to smell or smell like, unless I am actually eating something made out of goat milk, like cheese or ice cream, mmm. Perfume, no. lol This blend is better than other ones I've smelled with the sour milk note... from the other companies, it was retch inducing. :lol: Thankfully, the other notes do their job and round the scent out.

Edited by MiasmaResonance

Wet: This is a touch sour in the bottle, and for an instant when wet, but once warmed by my skin, that fades. Creamy, sugared, milky fig. Pretty much exactly what I had hoped for and wanted. I don't really get the Myrrh yet, but it may show up more once dry (often does).

Dry: Sweet creamy fig. Love it. End of story.

Having enjoyed My Baby and a Baby Goat tremendously, I decided I should test the other goat's milk scent in my stash, Nonae Caprotina. It is definitely the same goat's milk note, earthy, a little more pungent than cow's milk. Here it's sweetened by the similarly earthy fig instead of honey, and it's a marvelous combination. The myrrh is very soft and light on me. It doesn't have quite the throw and wear length of My Baby, but it is lovely as a very natural-seeming skin scent.