Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red carnation, red roses, Spanish cedar, velvet musk, pomegranate, clove, and incense.

As others have noted, this is very similar to Red Rose, and yes Lush's Potion. Mostly, I get a blend of carnation with a touch of rose. I find this more soft and subdued than Red Rose, with less incense and rose. There is more of a creaminess here, and slightly more sweet. Where Red Rose is 'dirty', Ysabel is 'clean'. I like this, and will certainly use my decant up!

I bought Ysabel randomly off a LJ-member's sales page. I had been thinking about buying it when the Inquisition came out, but I was concerned that it would turn out to be another heavy rose blend and I didn't need any more of those. I was *so* wrong. Ysabel is a gorgeous spiced incense scent, the likes of which I've never smelled from the Lab before. It's rich and strong, with a little bit of sweetness and a peppery bite that contrasts nicely with its warm musky background. I like incense, but a lot of fragrances with resins smell just like a church or a headshop. Not Ysabel - she's a fully realized perfume all the way through. I could not be more pleased with this one!

5/5

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description

Wow! It's all incense, spice, wood and musk for me. Very little of the rose and pomegranate, just a very light sweet undertone, but I don't really mind. Kind of masculine in a way, but not. I'm adding this one to the "keep" pile. :wub2:

Ysabel was a risk, my first unsniffed purchase off a fellow forumite.

I have been richly rewarded.

On my skin, Ysabel is predominately a rich red rose to whom all the other characters play a subordinate and supporting role. Nicely spicy, given depth by the musk and a touch of brightness by the pomegranate - I don't think it could be more perfect.

Wet: Carnation, rolled in sexy clovy musk.

Drydown: As it dries, rose rears its sharp, green head. Drat.

Dry: Green soapy rose.

Ysabel is another beauty that I'm late in reviewing. On me it's red carnation and red rose, equally balanced, then the cedar. The other notes fall behind like a velvet backdrop: the musk, the clove, the incense, and the lightest bit of pomegranate. It bears a resemblance to Red Rose (rather than Rose Red, in my opinion) but has it's own thing going on...the cedar and clove are really distinctive here. After years of mellowing out in the bottle, it's super smooth, like liquid incense. I should wear this more often. :)

Ysabel is gorgeous! Carnation is my favorite floral; I’m not a rose hater, but it can go sour on me, especially in combination with incense. On me, the velvety red rose takes a backseat to the carnation and clove. The musk and cedar and incense all combine into spicy sexy incensey goodness. I can’t really perceive any pomegranate unless it’s just a hint of sweetness. But the dominant note on my skin is spicy carnation, quite like Spanish red carnation SN, and the backdrop is stunning. So thrilled I got a chance to try this!

this starts off with a ton of cedar (which my skin tends not to like), some rose, some musk and hints of carnation. the rose & cedar combination turns very sour on me. it's just all cedar and soggy red rose. after the drydown, it's a warm musky carnation, which is closer to what i was wanting. it's in the same vein as gypsy queen, but that one smells better on me anyhow. it's nice to know there is a scent in the same vein as GQ though.

Edited by theseagrows