Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Mordath

I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain v1

Prototype, unreleased, no scent description.

Cream poured over fresh, oranges, both sweet and tart at the same time. Fresh and foody, calms down after drydown to a tart creamsicle scent.

Have not sniffed the released version, but I have heard that this is less foody. I was extremely drawn to this one at the Cobwebs event because of how downright fizzy it smelled. It was like sniffing pop rocks. It reminds me of Fizzy Pop incense, but even brighter and fizzier. On the skin, it smells like La Fee Verte soda, I swear. Probably one of the weirdest BPAL's I've ever sniffed. Definitely has that "Floating Brain" quality to it as well. I can't for the life of me figure out why this wasn't the released version as it is so unique and fantastic.

I feel guilty keeping the whole bottle as I know it is not something I will likely wear often (though among the "weird" scents I've tried this is one of the most wearable.) I hope more people get the chance to sniff this one, just because it's so unique.

Floating Brain v1 was very very fizzy! Funny how different the prototypes can be from the finished release!

A tester of this was sent to me by a very generous person :hug:

In the Decant: fizz and a VERY strong, tarte lemon note

Wet on Skin: less fizz and even more lemon :o

Dry: the lemon is still just as strong as it was when wet, but it's a lot more sour than before. The fizz is still pretty faint. After about 15 minutes though, the lemon does die down a little and the fizz comes out more. After about 1/2 hr this turns to fizzy lemon scented borax (not just any soap mind you, borax)

I love fizz and I love sweet scents, so I was hoping this would be a sweet, fizzy citrus scent. Not so! It's fizzy, but it's definitely not sweet! I'm soooo glad Beth scrapped this idea and decided to go with the version she released instead (which I love dearly). That being said, this was fun to test. The fizz tickles my nose :lol:

This one definitely started with a lemon/lime fizz. Sugary, and with a hint of ginger. Not as ginger as gingerale, definitely more citrusy. It sort of reminds me to PP416 and Old Man Ackerman's Instructional Toys. It is in the same vein.

It definitely gets a little 'fuzzy' when it dries. Which is odd to me.

Edited by zankoku_zen

In the bottle and wet on my skin, fizzy orange soda. Smells exactly like Minute Maid Orange Cola on me. The fizzy note dissipates as it dries and this settles down to a soft citrus orange scent. So very different from the released version. I think I like the released scent more, but I do really like this one and will be keeping my bottle, I think.

Super-interesting--very lemony, citrusy. Dries down kind of like you washed your hands with lemon-scented soap, though.

I never posted in this thread bc I didn't want my love for this blend to create competition. But um...this is my favourite BPAL scent of all time. Now that I have plenty, I can finally review it!

I wrote a longer review at some point, but I can find it. But to summarize: this is very fizzy, the fizziest of the fizzy blends, tart grapefruit soda. It's as if you took a ripe, juicy and fresh and barely sweet whole grapefruit, pulverized it, and blended it with lots of highly carbonated water and a little bit of sugar syrup.

It holds on my skin, it's very clean, it doesn't turn to powder or soap. It's not a particularly sweet scent, and it's not even firmly feminine, but it is so fizzy and bright and light and fresh - it's what I want perfume to be, it's what *I* want to be.

I get no other citrus than grapefruit. No ginger, no creaminess.

You know those orange slice candies that are kinda the consistency of the chewy part of jelly beans, and are covered in grains of sugar? These things.

Yep, that's what this smells like to me. It's definitely fizzy and citrus (it's orange to me, not lemon).

Unfortunately, it dries down super fast, and becomes orange-scented hand-soap on my skin. Not that "soap"="bad" in my world, just that it's unfortunate because I wanted to keep that fizzy orange scent. :)

--M

In the bottle, this is bright orange candy citrus smell - quite deep and lush. When it first hits my skin, it's the same - a really bright orange, but not natural orange like the actual fruit smells - this has a slight 'fake' smell to it.. it's just *too* orange. Things quickly change..

Now some other citrus notes are coming out. There's more to the orange - it's lost that artificial feel and become a more 'true' orange.. far more deep. More like a tangello, perhaps. I'm getting some lemon now too, and yeah - probably grapefruit although the blend of citrus in here is a little too well blended.. it's hard to pick individual fruit notes - and it's become more sweet.. everything is softening up nicely.

About 10 minutes in, the fizz starts to appear. This is more than the kind of tart fizz that grapefruit usually creates.. it has an alcoholic smell to it - I'm calling champagne (or a dry white wine, perhaps) on this one. My skin does not like champagne, not at all.. on me, it becomes a nasty sour thing that with a sharp and acrid edge. And of course, out it comes to override all that lovely citrus I had before.

Had the champagne not come out, I would have loved this.

I Fell in Love with a Floating Brain v1 - Mmmm.... it's like Orange Crush. Or maybe more like a carbonated creamsicle. I think maybe there's a hint of pink grapefruit in it, too? It's awesome. I wish it lasted longer, but it's still awesome.

This smells more lemony than orange to me, though I kept flipping between the two when I wore this oil. It's like fizzy, clean, lemony soda that dries down to lemony soda + lemon dish soap. This doesn't really remind me of the released version of Floating Brain at all. This isn't super-sweet on me; it's more of a clean citrus blend.

On me, this is lemon and peonies. Possibly rose, but since it doesn't go sour, as roses tend to do on me, I'm thinking it's peony. The lemon is the leader here, layered over the peonies. After a bit, the lemon fades back a bit, and I can pick out a woodsy note, possibly sandalwood.

Unfortunately, it fades super fast on me, but I love it while it lasts.

After trying Golden Wave, I have to go with tangerines (and/or possibly passion fruit). The two scents are very similar to my nose but I find Floating Brain thinner/flatter. "Buoyant" immediately came to mind when I first sniffed it. I'm not getting any fizziness at all--granted, I only have a sniffie, so it might have dissipated with age. Not enough to skin test. Suits its name quite well and is an interesting scent, but a bit flat and not very complex... probably won't hunt down a proper tester.

When I opened the package and sniffed the bottle, I got grape soda, then realized it's more like Fresca (citrus soda with grapefruit, lime, and lemon, among other things). Wearing it, I'm getting what's trying to be citrus, and what's trying to be fizzy... but it's ending up as an old-lady powder/strong floral. It's trying to be cute and effervescent, but I'm getting no creamsickle, no lemon. Maybe pink grapefruit, but I can't pin anything down underneath this rampaging floral!

Either this blend has slightly corrupted over time, or I'm not wearing what I think I'm wearing (I have about twenty bottles that need testing!) or I just amp something that's in here to all high heaven, because I'm not getting what everyone else is getting.

When I opened the package and sniffed the bottle, I got grape soda, then realized it's more like Fresca (citrus soda with grapefruit, lime, and lemon, among other things). Wearing it, I'm getting what's trying to be citrus, and what's trying to be fizzy... but it's ending up as an old-lady powder/strong floral. It's trying to be cute and effervescent, but I'm getting no creamsickle, no lemon. Maybe pink grapefruit, but I can't pin anything down underneath this rampaging floral!

Either this blend has slightly corrupted over time, or I'm not wearing what I think I'm wearing (I have about twenty bottles that need testing!) or I just amp something that's in here to all high heaven, because I'm not getting what everyone else is getting.

This is very similar to what I found. I just got a bottle from The Lab's Etsy page and was so psyched to try it based on the reviews.

Opening the bottle, I got bright fizzy orange soda. In wearing it, the citrus faded really quickly and the "fizzy" note turned into a powdery rose. I don't mind it at all; it's actually quite pleasant, if a bit unexpected... I really like this, I'm just a little bummed that I didn't get the creamsicle phase some of the other reviews mentioned. Now wondering if I should seek out the released version to try too...

Wet: Fizzy and citrusy! I'm not sure if it's lemon or orange; I can smell carbonation more than anything.

Dry: Same as wet! This will be a great refreshing scent for summer. :thumbsup:

4/5

This was bizzare on me. It started out as fizzy orange soda, within 5 minutes it was orange soap, then 10 minutes later it was almost completely gone. It might be really nice in a burner.