Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Unreleased blend, no description given

In the bottle I get a dark herbal scent.Upon application,I get a very spicy scent.I think it very well blended so trying to get a read on the exact notes is a bit more difficult.I get some cloves but they are not very strong ...they are more rustic and slightly woody than the cooking clove...I have gone back and forth on this note and have decided on me it is a spicy sarsaparilla...I thought for awhile it may be sassfras but it is lacking that strong bite that sassafras leaves with me....I would say it has a touch of perhaps ginger...sugared ginger not the overly strong red ginger....after it sits for a period of time you get the most mellow tying vanilla note.This scent as I said,is VERY weel blended and wonderful in everyway.I must admit I am pretty bias to blends like this:)

I picked up cloves as well, and now that it has ben mentioned, I'm also picking up tobacco. This actually reminds me a bit of Velvet Bandito! :yum:

Sniffing the bottle, it's like licorice root beer to my nose.

Wet on the skin, smells strongly of sarsaparilla (root beer) that turns to a nearly perfect black licorice scent as it dries on my arm.

Definitely a keeper. :wub2:

Hmmm, this on application is a salty musky blend with something that smells like a raisin. As it dries, I get clove, sarsaparilla and just a hint of tobacco.

I'm very on the fence on whether I like this or dislike this.

PEXO - This smells like clove and sassafras, plus sweet, spicy woods. It has a "western" feeling, like Tombstone or Dead Man's Hand. I really love it, but it doesn't last long at all on my skin. If I had more, I'd wear it in a scent locket.

Straight cloves to me but with some warmth. It's not overly spicy, which I expected upon application but too spicy for me. I've never been a fan of cloves so just keep that in mind!

at first in the decant...sour and pickled. Then it gives off a bandaid scent when I first apply it. then later...Clove?

straight sniff from imp is dry spice...

once applied ... wow.... a really cool, clove, sweet pickle scent...whouda thunk :P :ack:

Sniffed: Golden oil with a peachy tinge. Spicy and sour - cinnamon, clove, and pickles? This one scares me and I'm not trying it on my skin.

I feel like I'm being stalked by clove lately. That's mostly what I get here, along with other unidentifiable things… dry, woody, possibly resinous things. As it's drying it turns a bit sour, and then kind of turns back to clove. It's just to the sour side of being wearable... I turn some kinds of tobacco sour so that may be what's going on here.

In the vein of Velvet Bandito and Sunbird [also the Osiris proto, with the clove], dry and spicy. But yet... incomplete, somehow. It just doesn't quite get off the ground. I waver over whether I like it, but ultimately both Bandito and Sundbird [and Osiris] are so much better on me that I don't need to look for this.

Hmmmm – this smells like spicy muted rootbeer – so maybe sarsaparilla, clove, something to quiet the sarsaparilla….sniffing deeply this reminds me of Russian Tea (Tang & spices – nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.) but without most of the orange. So the spice….a hint of Tang…this is drying to a mostly spice blend, dry smelling too. The root beer vibe is now gone completely.

I get mostly a sweet, warm, slightly smoky clove with dry woods and maybe a bit of the root beer smell that other reviewers have mentioned. As it dries down, I get something like a hint of sour, bitter orange peel underneath the spices, and the spices seem a bit sharper and more perfumey. I see that no one else has mentioned sour orange, though, so this oil must be doing something odd on me, lol. I expected this to be heavier, but it's actually rather light and short lived on me. It smells like something that would be better as a room scent than a me-scent.

I definitely have spice&wood blends that I like more than this one...

Got this as a freebie when I bought a bottle of Leo S. from a member of S&S on LJ.

In vial: Smells like autumn. Promising!

On skin, wet: Spicy yumminess. I get an anise type note (dry instead of being sweet root beer), followed by almost a citrus, like an orange. Then nutmeg and a solid tobacco/tea like base note. Do I also smell cloves, warm vanilla and a tiny bit of dirty, sour woods? Wow, it is like a lot of notes I really like ended up in the same perfume.

Drying: Tasty spicy tea. Like someone else said, more of a spicy Russian Tea, without the smoke. There is a very odd plastic type coconut note way in the distance. But lucky for me, it isn't taking over like in other BPAL blends. The note always reminds me of sunscreen and it not welcome! Apparently, it heard me!

Overall: I like it. It seems someone I bought from heard my plea for autumn type scents and gave me an awesome freebie, which I will use up, because it does have a holiday vibe to it. Great for fall into winter.

Edited by surf-tormented

I purchased a bottle of this unsniffed from the Etsy site based on the reviews here.

In the bottle: Spicy and a bit tart. Reminds me just a bit of Lamia prototype, kind of clovey.

Wet: Clove and an anise or licorice note. Might be a wood in there too.

Half an hour: Softer and creamier now, but still clove with an anise note. I'm getting something sweeter now, more like a honey note -- but a floral one, I think, not a sugary one. I quite like this.

One hour: Honey or something floral like that, with clove and spice. There's a wood in here also, though, and it works well on me so I'm guessing cedar or sassafras. I am really pleased with this one.

Two and a half hours: Honey and spice with a bit of wood. It's much lighter now. This is a cosy, wintery sort of scent, good for curling up with on cold nights.

Five hours: Mostly gone. But it's a soft honeyed woody impression with spice, maybe allspice, clove, and anise.

I have been chasing down root beer and sarsaparilla scents lately so feel absolutely *seen* when the lab frottled this bottle to me with my Lilith 2022 order.

I am not picking up clove as an individual note, except as an aspect of the root beer which normally has elements of clove to it. At first on skin there is a blast of something vaguely chemical in nature (the “sour” observed in prior reviews?), but this receded on my skin in under one minute~ if that is the result of aging, then bless the lab aging! Then the scent becomes a very good root beer or sasaparilla (Sarsaparilla is made from the Sarsaparilla vine, while Root Beer,  from the roots of the sassafras tree). I am leaning toward root beer here because I do think there is an element of clove without the sarsaparilla mintiness. 

I went ahead and death matched this while skin testing to a favorite root beer scent in my collection, Outlaw. Perhaps receiving it as a Lilith frottle made me think of older Liliths I love. But in spite of the leather note in Outlaw, Outlaw is decidedly sweeter (thank you vanilla cream). Pexo is drier on skin, but I would say it still strikes me as sweet, just not *creamy* ..

which is why Outlaw is one of my favorites, the creamy vanilla and root beer are Chefs Kiss. 

Pexo is a keeper because I find it to be a semi sweet rootbeer without much complexity, and thats something I was searching for. 

And because some reviews above veered to finding this was a tea scent, I grabbed Tag Upon Avon  because my memory was that it had clove and good weak black tea… and well… I can see these comparisons, but mainly because I found of the clove presence similar. (PS, Tag Upon Avon is a perfect black tea for me. Its missing or light on bergamot, which is often present in stronger concentrations in tea blends and then dominates all other notes on my skin).  But when you test these side by side, PEXO, on my skin, is distinctly Rootbeer. Tag dries down to anise, clove, and cakes. Again, anise (licorice?) was mentioned above , so if that interests you, look up Tag Upon Avon.

Alot of rambling here while I sip a blueberry coffee and reflect upon the labs kindness in these sometimes frottles which I never expect, and am always happy when I receive. 

TL;DR Rootbeer. 

I got a decant of this from @Missanneshirleyofgg! At first, I get anise-y root beer, but it gets more root beer-y with wear (fortunately for me, since I don't like anise!). At her suggestion, I tested Tag Upon Avon on another part of my arm, which made this seem even more root beer-y to me... I don't get tea from this at all. Once the anise calms down, it is a lovely root beer proto! I wonder what this scent was supposed to be for? :think: 

Definitely one to try if you like root beer and aren't averse to anise!