Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ravenclaw79

Strawberry Moon 2009

Wild strawberries, strawberry flower, vanilla-infused sugar, early summer grasses, and milky dandelion sap.

In the bottle it smells of juicy, juicy strawberry, and on my skin, it smells like the green strawberry stems.

I've gotten many compliments with this and I LOVE it as a nice, fruity Summer scent.

Long throw, too.

Sweet strawberry candy with a darker bit of spiciness (sap? grass?). Not incense-like at all, but not what I interpret as herbal or foody (cinnamon) either.

It smells nice, but I could sniff a strawberry candy for the same effect. Throw is practically non-existent and it has no staying power on my skin. Glad I got to try it but it will be swapped.

ETA: I did swap away that bottle, but kept thinking about it, and eventually got a another one! It's not a good skin scent for me but I love it in the bottle and my hair.

Edited by animalcule

This is pretty much summer in a bottle. The strawberry dominates at first, true and tart-sweet, then recedes into an ethereal green scent. I got a bottle of this and it's a great winter pick-me-up as well as a fitting light scent in summer.

I love Strawberry Moon '09. This is in my top 10 and I snag a bottle whenever I get the chance. This is the oil that changed my mind about sweet, fruity perfumes... I was always the cinnamon, cedar, vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli girl... and now I'm still that girl, but I can enjoy wearing the girly stuff too! This is amazing: I can smell the grass, dandelion sap, and fresh delicious sugary strawberries. I think the vanilla helps tie everything together and ground the scent a bit - truly a masterpiece. I hope to still have some of this when I'm 60... :wub2:

In decant: straight up strawberry. I can't catch the other notes, they're all pretty well blended together into the sweet and tangy strawberry scent.

Wet on skin: well, guess what? Strawberries. It's slightly minty to my nose, bright and fresh--likely the dandelion sap? It's sweeter now, less tangy--it's kind of like what Kool-Aid would smell like (do they have a strawberry flavor?), sweet and sugary strawberry juice. There is that phantom oily smell on my skin, although it's not too strong.

Dry: there is something that is vaguely off with the drydown for me. Something missing, or something just weird. It's still that sweet strawberry smell, but the phantom oily/plasticky scent hanging about it bothering me too. I can't get at it; it may be the mintiness I'm getting that's warring with the faint vanilla notes and producing that oily/plastic smell. I still don't know where the minty bright note is coming from.

Verdict: Not for me. Even without the oiliness, it's a bit too candy-sweet for me; and while I love strawberries, it's a "childish" scent for me to enjoy wearing it.

I bought a bottle of this sniffed based on a forumite recommendation. It was purported to be "summer in a bottle". And I must confess that I do not normally like fruit based scents, with berries being particularly problematic because they end up smelling artificial or candle-like.

I would actually describe it as "Spring in a bottle" since that's when strawberries come into season in my part of the world.

I would agree with other posters who describe this as "real" berries. My instant 1st impression was the strawberries my grandmother would "put up". She would sprinkle them generously with sugar and freeze them in season, then thaw them and mix them with cream or use in a recipe. This is the top note / sniffed from bottle scent.

It usually goes soapy on me at this point, although not in a bad way. Someone else mentioned high-end strawberry soap and I concur. Clean and fruit. BUT ( see? A big but!) I'm finding that my nose will interpret scents it can't place as "soapy". I'm going to try it again with a mind toward trying to find the dandilion ( sp?) and grass and I might not smell soap anymore.

Final verdict: a very pleasant, refreshing, clean scent that is unmistakably strawberry. Perfect for days when you want something light, playful and youthful.

Oh, man, this is definitely one of my favorites. I bought this bottle without smelling it (or any of BPAL's strawberry notes, actually), and it's everything I thought it would be. Great summer scent. Sweet and clean and just a little green around the edges.

Wet: Fake strawberries and a light floral perfume scent.

Dry Down: There is a definite floral note coming out. I can't quite put my finger on the flower- something white plus the leaves of an evergreen shrub of some sort. There is a little bit of laundry detergent smell coming out, and my sinuses are becoming a bit inflamed.

Dry: The strawberries are gone for good. The smell is all sharp floral now, something similar to jasmine, which gives me a major headache.

Bummer.

This is another scent that was very green and herbal on me- but for the very first time with a Lab scent, I actually like it! I don't adore it, but it is complimented nicely by the sweeter fruity strawberry. This is a scent I wear when I am in the mood for it, and not something I apply all the time.

This is ok. In the bottle it's "whoa what the hell" — a very tart, tangy, sour smell where I can barely detect any strawberries. In any case it isn't the artificial strawberry smell you have on strawberry candies.

Wet: pretty quickly the extreme tartness wears off and in it's place comes the tangy fresh sweetness of picked strawberries with stems and all. Not bad at all!

Dry: pretty much the same. It doesn't have a huge throw and I won't be surprised if it doesn't last all that long. I like it, but it's not something I would reach out for and wear very often. For now definately a keeper.

... I was always the cinnamon, cedar, vanilla, sandalwood, patchouli girl... and now I'm still that girl, but I can enjoy wearing the girly stuff too! This is amazing: I can smell the grass, dandelion sap, and fresh delicious sugary strawberries. I think the vanilla helps tie everything together and ground the scent a bit - truly a masterpiece.

I have to say I agree with this assessment overall, though getting to such accord was quite a journey for me!

I got a bottle of this, nearly full, in a lot of bottles purchased from a wonderful forumite. When I saw it in the list, I was curious--my prior experience with strawberry scents fell into one of two categories: Strawberry-Shortcake-the-doll-plasticky/strawberry-candy fake or strawberry soap. I'm not really a fan of either, TBH. So I approached my first skin test of this bottle with a bit of trepidation, I must admit :eek: Still, it's an aged bottle, so I forged bravely ahead...

In the Bottle: WHOA strawberry syrup!! Or an uber-sweet fresh strawberry pie (you know, like they have at Marie Callender's). I had to keep sniffing to get the dandelion sap, and TG because without something earthy & green I might never have dared to actually wear it!

Wet: Strawberry syrup still dominates but the green grass/dandelion is much more forward here. I'm still doubtful if I'm going to keep wearing it or scrub it off--before my boss/coworkers smell me like this. The throw is almost overwhelming. Should I swap this?

Dry: What happened?? Scary-sticky-sweet went all mellow on me and suddenly I have a very lovely blend of sweet homemade strawberry preserves, fresh green dandelion, and a subtle vanilla-brown-sugar that is most wearable. Throw went from holy hell to moderate in about 2-3 hours, then stuck close to the skin for another 4 hours. What the heck, I think I'll keep it!

PS: I tried a little experiment with one of my fav BPALs, Banshee Beat, and this scent: Strawberry Moon on one wrist, BB on the other (okay, yes, also behind my ears and dabbed into the cleavage, because I loves my BB!!) and OMG!! :wub2: Holy cow, the best of both worlds--that lovely earthy-sweet vanilla-patch-hempy goodness with a gorgeous waft of fresh cut strawberries & green sap peeking through now and then! Awesome, just awesome.

Strawberry Moon smells like a strawberry cocktail or slush in the bottle. Maybe even a bit like a hard candy, but applied to my skin, the green notes very similar to Nothing Gold Can Stay comes forth. It's refreshing and lasts all day. The green notes especially linger throughout the day and stick to my clothing. Very nice for the summer. It's clean and sweet, yet not nauseatingly sweet.

Wet: STRAWBERRY! Not the sickly-sweet fake strawberry, either. This is a true juicy strawberry.

Dry: It's faded a bit.. but it's still amazing. A sweet strawberry, with a hint of green grass. I wish the scent was a bit stronger, but that just means I'll be slathering this. ;)

4/5

Strawberry Moon (the decant isn't labeled, but I'm pretty sure it's 2009)

In the imp: Boozy strawberry.

On skin: The green, grass/dandelion sap comes out almost immediately. That heady, boozy note is still there, though. It reminds me of the cognac note in Black Lace (the resurrected version.) It smells almost like a fruit in the process of fermenting. Weirdly, I don't smell the strawberry at all on my skin, it's all grass/sap and that boozy note. I was hoping for sweet vanilla strawberry, but that's not what I'm getting. It reminds me of Black Lace without the cream note that went sour on me.

In the bottle - boozy strawberries.

On my skin it's a bright wet and juicy strawberry with hints of green grass. It smells like a warm summer afternoon of loving in a strawberry field. The strawberry sweetness has faded with more of the greeness coming forward with hints of flowery goodness ... its BEAUTIFUL :heart:

(Thanks to my witch :glomp: )

Oooh. This would be PERFECT. Sweet/tart strawberry, green grass, the slight sweetness of sugar and dandelion. But maybe because of the age of the bottle, its 90% gone within an hour. If this stuck around it would be a top 5 easy.

I'm often iffy about strawberry scents because, to be brutally honest, I am in my 40s now and to me strawberry scents smell like they are made for young girls. I think it's because when I was young, like 12 or 13, my mom wouldn't let me wear "perfume," but I could wear things like those horrid lip glosses that were fruit-flavored, or fruit-scented lotion. So now I associate strawberry scents with being a kid.

Strawberry Moon is pretty -- it's not too sweet like candy, and the grassy/dandelion notes are a nice touch. That gives it just a little bit of a grown-up twang. I like it a lot, I just don't think I'd ever actually wear it.

In the bottle - Rich, slightly green strawberries

Wet on me - Freshly mown grass and that dandelion sap with just a hint of strawberry in the background

Dry on me - Sweet, soft, candy-like strawberry

Overall - Pretty and delicate, but doesn't really grab me

Sweet strawberries with grass and dandelion sap. Reminds me of being a kid, when we would peel the dandelion stems and knot them together. That unique smell. The grass note makes me a little sneezy at first, but then it mellows out. While I'd also love a straight-up sugared strawberries blend, this one's nice too because of its complexity. Perfect for this time of year -- strawberry-pickin' time!

• ITI: Interesting. I was expecting something very similar to its 2012 counterpart, but without the honey, the strawberry notes are much truer to reality to my nose, the vanilla-infused sugar adds some sweetness without being cloying, but the grass and dandelion sap are really what make the scent stand out. These notes help evoke the early summertime goodness of strawberries and the crisp greenness before the oppressive head makes everything overripe and dries out the green still succulent from the spring rains.

Wet: The strawberry is just a touch artificial on my skin, but not enough to turn my opinion. It's still largely fresh and inviting. The greenness is what really makes this a "true" strawberry scent for me and keeps it from being too "lolita" for a woman in her 30s. It's just the right amount of sweet, fruity, and green.

Dry: While this isn't exactly a marathon scent, I do still get faint Necco strawberry, sugar, and a touch of dandelion grass. It's not bad!

This is a wonderful strawberry scent. I am drawn to strawberry over a lot of other fruits but not sure why. It starts out as a very wild/fresh strawberry scent. Like someone just picked strawberries out of the back yard and has them all in a bowl. I can smell leaves and a tiny bit of dirt but it's nice. This is not an artificial strawberry (which I don't mind either). It's not foodie really either, but the other notes do add comfort to this scent and make it creamy and pretty. The staying power is kinda low though and the throw isn't strong either but it is very lovely.

v 2009

In the bottle, it smells like strawberry rum concentrated. I don't like heavy scents with amber or booze, but I'll try it anyway just to see what it ends up really smelling like on me! On my skin, it just smells like as if I left those hard strawberry candies there to melt... I'm not sure if it's the greenery I'm smelling, but not my kind of scent at all. I'm super sad as I hoped this would be my holy grail of strawberries.

I really wanted to love this one, but I think it just gave me a slight rash as well. ): Will try again to ensure that it was from this bottle and my skin isn't just weird...

Edited by shibagast

Strawberry and I have a love-hate relationship (as with a few other fruits as well). I love it, and love the idea of smelling like it - it hates me and routinely turns to plastic on me. So don't ask me why I feel like this might be different. Maybe it's the reviews saying it's more like REAL strawberry than strawberry candy? Maybe it's cuz there are grass and dandelion sap listed - green notes that I adore? I dunno, but I blind bottled it anyway, so let's see if I regret it!

Wet: oh my gosh, does it ever smell "real!" Like a bowl of cut up, freshly picked strawberries nice and tart-sweet!. Oh and there's the grass. Wow, this is BEAUTIFUL. It feels sun-warmed. It makes me want to go strawberry picking. Or just be outside. If it turns to plastic at this point I might actually cry, it's just so lovely. It brings such a smile to my face! This feels like the perfect picnic scent. It makes me wish it were summer right now.

Dry: It does lose a little of its freshness and tartness as it dries - which is interesting, it's kind of like the berry is "ripening" right on my wrist. It retains that sun-warmed feel, and I really do love it. I just ordered SN Egg Hunt Grass Stain, and I can't wait to layer these two together, to hopefully keep that green fresh feel going a little longer. I do enjoy this just as it is too. Summer in a bottle!

Someone was kind enough to sell me a partial bottle of this.

In the bottle it almost smells boozy. Like a syrupy strawberry liquor.

On skin, it becomes a sweet strawberry. I think it walks the line between artificial and real (I would not call this an authentic strawberry scent, to be very honest). I don't know if I get any of the dandelion or the grass, but there is a fresh element to this. Sadly, it lasts all of about two hours. Even then, this is pleasant and fun. A very innocent, even nostalgic sort of scent. Should a new Strawberry Moon surface, I wouldn't mind getting it.

Very sweet, unsurprisingly. I thought the grasses and floral components might mellow out the sweetness, but it's just all sweet on me, particularly the throw. But if you like sweet, summer strawberries - this is perfect.