Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ravenclaw79

Strawberry Moon 2009

Wild strawberries, strawberry flower, vanilla-infused sugar, early summer grasses, and milky dandelion sap.

i too get the strawberry gum thing, it's nice, but a little candy-ish at first...the green grass/dandelion smell is very present as well, and the two components - berries vs. grass - are almost equally balanced, which is nice. it is a very light, spring scent on me - i think i was expecting something richer and thicker...this strawberry moon is almost clean smelling on me - a clean green fresh smell, with just a hint of strawberry candy. it lasts pretty well, eventually settling on the vanilla sugar smell, with traces of fresh strawberry. although it's a little tamer than i expected, i think it would be wearable for a lot of occasions - for work, or just to wear around on a nice summer's day...

In the bottle this is a pretty tart strawberry.

On my skin the green comes out a lot more -- almost overpowering the initial strawberry but it also sweetens it up.

I love it and it's beautiful of course. But I'm not sure if I like this one quite as much as the original. But since I only have an imp of that.... :lol:

Edited by TwilightEyes

O.M.G!

This thing is awesome!

On the bottle is quite sweet strawberries that I just want to eat. On my skin the green comes out, a bit less sweet initially, but then it goes sweet again. Its like picking strawberries in a strawberry farm on a lovely summer day.

This is perfection in a bottle.

So much better than the original imho. So if you're looking to re-home yours, look no further than me :lol:

In the bottle: Ripe strawberries with a little greenness to them still, but they aren't that sweet just yet; however a few more days might be too late to devour them.

Wet: Very ripe strawberries becoming more sweet by the second.

The dry-down: Over a period of half an hour, the strawberries start to float on top of the green leaves, stems, and grass; there might be a little hint of the dandelion sap, too.

Later: The scent doesn't change very much. It's a very fresh note, not a candy scent at all, but much like ripe strawberries in the garden ready to be picked and eaten. Much like fresh blackberries, only about half of these will make it back to the kitchen for slicing and sugaring. (That's not to say that this perfume oil has any blackberry scent in it, it's just a comparison with what happens with berry fruits that one picks oneself, supposedly for later eating and cooking; it's just been my experience that maybe half to two-thirds of any picked berry fruit makes it back to the kitchen. *smiles*)

As lovely as this is, it hasn't knocked White Chocolate and Strawberries out of the top for strawberry scents from the Lab, IMHO. It's very light, which makes it nicer for the hot days ahead; however, it seems as though it will require constant re-application.

It did smell very lovely on a good friend when she tried it the other day, so I gifted her with a bottle, and showed her around the site here, and also of course the Lab and the Post. (Yes, I ordered extras!)

I should start this by saying I'm not a huge fan of the original Strawberry Moon, but...

I really like this alot! In the bottle, it's perfection! Sweet, but not cloying. I don't get the candy scent at all - I get a very fresh, very natural scent. I was initially sort of disappointed when it disappeared almost immediately on my skin. It gets green rather quickly. It's not a heavy green, though - maybe that's the dandelion other folks have mentioned.

In the long run, it stays a fresh green with a faint sweet strawberry undertone. If you'd described it to me, I probably would not have thought I'd like it as much as I do. And I do! I really, really do!!

Also, LOVE the label art! <3

Sniffing the bottle, it's fresh strawberries and grass.

Applied wet to my skin, the scent remains pretty true as it was in the bottle. Strawberries and green grass. This is not a foodie blend. The grass notes perfectly balance the strawberry. The oil dries down to nearly the same scent---this has not morphed a bit on my skin from bottle to initial application to dry down.

Every time I sniff my wrist I imagine I am standing in the middle of a strawberry patch with fields of wild grass surrounding it. It always amazes me how Beth manages to make these blends so very real.

Strawberry Moon 2009

In the bottle this is ZOMG!YUM! It smells like Beth crammed 1000 strawberries in the bottle. On my skin, a grassiness comes out, and it smells like the strawberries got doused in Dirty.

I am so happy this came today. I was lucky enough to test the original version and this one is very different to me.

05 (that is the year right?) was 100% Strawberry Shortcake plastic doll head. It was good because it brought me that nostalgia.

Now 2009 is a fresh still on the vine strawberry. More green and natural.

Out of the 2 I think I like the original a little better because I am all about artificial sweet in my preference. But this is a great moon indeed.

Smells candy-like in the bottle but like a true fresh berry after it settles on the skin, probably because as it dries, the greeness of the dandelion comes forth.
I had to quote because this was exactly my thought process as I tried it. :)

Every time I open the bottle and sniff I start craving strawberry Bubbleyum. eek! suugggar!

Wearing it does morph into more grassy/strawberry field true strawberry, unlike the other strawberry scents I've tried from BPAL. I like it a bunch so far..but it's not lasting too long on my skin.

in the bottle very sweet strawberry and nicely realistic. every time there's a new strawberry blend, everyone starts raving about how it REALLY SMELLS LIKE ACTUAL STRAWBERRY!!11!!, but it never really does to me. this has a little bit of tart bite over a sweet fruitiness that is quite genuine. more than a fresh berry, this is like a fine strawberry sorbet with frozen crushed berries in the mix.

wet on skin i'm not sure what i'm whiffing here, but this suddenly went from very foody to very grown-up perfume with a strawberry twist. perhaps it's the strawberry flower note.

dry on skin sugary, sugary candied strawberry. it doesn't have the plastic smell that happens all-too-often with bright BPAL fruits, which is nice, but this goes right back over to foody once dry.

this is one of the most wearable bright fruit blends i've tried yet from the lab. very nice.

In the bottle: Strawberry candy. Good but I know it will get better.

Wet on My Skin: Ohmyguh... *drool* Literally mouthwatering juicy strawberries. :yum:

Drying: As it dries the green notes come out a bit more but it stays predominantly a fruit scent.

Dry: Only when it's fully dry does the vanilla sugar show up with the juicy tartness of the strawberry. Just a hint though. Just enough to give a hint of creamy sweetness to the tart fruit and greens. Absolutely lovely.

Very fruity but wearable. I was worried it would be overwhelming in the fruit department but it's not.

As for the throw: it stays close to the skin.

I'm so excited! My package just came (with an extraordinary amount of frimps..thank you Lab!).

In the Bottle: Whoa. That actually smells JUST like a real strawberry. Juicy, it's making my mouth water.

Wet: The same!

Dry: It's a very sweet strawberry, with just a little hit of grass floating in the background. It almost makes me think of Strawberry Fruit-by-the-Foot! Delicious, I absolutely love this. It's perfect for the summer.

Out of 10: 10!

ETA: Oh, it fades really quickly.. I might have to make a lotion out of some of it so I can layer.

Edited by revinn

for once, I'm actually getting the same stages as reviews on the BPAL forum!

I get fresh strawberries at first and it smells like something familiar that I can't figure out... and then it morphs totally into green-ness and dandelion .... then the strawberry starts to come back out but it's a bit player later on... peeking from the sidelines. I wish the berry would come back a little bit stronger but towards the end I can finally get a small whiff of sugar.

I am curious what this will do in my locket. I don't like the green phase (of course) but I'm not totally counting this out just yet. I think it's 75% like.

Strawberry bubbleyum, yep. It gets a little greener, and I like the green, but I was hoping for a more natural strawberry, and it just continues to smell ... gummy. I'll give it another couple weeks, but this is almost guaranteed to go in the swap pile.

1247158714_eM4CT-Ti.jpg strawbmoon2ss-Ti.jpg

I bought a bunch of strawberries from a local farm this week, and I was so happy to realize that my first whiff of Strawberry Moon 2009 smells just like that flat of fresh strawberries. Last night was amazing, falling asleep with the luscious scent of a ripe strawberry in my nostrils... the whole berry, stems and leaves, and yes, blossom. I really didn't smell much dandelion at all this time, so maybe that will come out more as the oil ages. The throw is more than sufficient for sleeping, and the stay is as well. I could still smell whiffs of strawberry goodness this morning, not strong but it was there. Glad I have 2 bottles!

Edited by stellans

Bottle: Strawberry syrup - sweet like whoa.

Wet: Bright candyish strawberries tossed among vines. I get both the sweet sugary note and a green note (very similar to the green note I get from roses). Intriguing.

Drydown: Mostly green, but still tinges of the sweetness.

Dry: A whisper of strawberry candy and a teeny bit of the "green" note. I've almost completely lost this one on my skin after two minutes.

Overall: I guess my backup bottle will be off to swaps. Sad, but there will be others to love...

This blend is a true work of art. Even my husband (who normally thinks everything is either "ew" or smells like one kind of candy or another) has to agree that Strawberry Moon smells like strawberries, grass, and dandelions. Its spot on and wonderful and I know this will be a top ten favorite. :wub2:

It's one of those blends that has me sniffing my wrist and saying "WOW" over and over in my head.

I am absolutely in love with Strawberry Moon 2009. It reminds me of my parents back yard when I was growing up with the strawberry patch next to the lawn because it picks up notes of both......including the dandelions which I neglected to catch while I was weeding with my mother. :blush: The throw is rather deceiving because, although it is not huge, it swirls around and I can smell the strawberries all day long. It also sticks around for a long time and I wake up in the morning smelling the fruit to start my day. I think that I just might need another bottle of this beauty.

Wet: Wowee! Pure tart strawberries!

Dry down: sun-warmed strawberries before you wash them and pull off the leaves. This is the bowlful of strawberries I used to pick in grandma's garden.

Should've bought a second bottle...

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I was lucky enough to have a decant of the original Strawberry Moon for a while, but swapped it away. I then found strawberry scents by other perfumers that I love. I though it was worth a shot again.

In the Bottle: A strawberry patch with berries galore! A lot of lovely sweet, sun-kissed strawberry backed by a lovely green without a trace of earth.

Wet: Okay, that's new...I know this smell, and it's not a good one. Of all things, it's turpentine!! Paint thinner! This bodes so ill...it's sharp and acrid and is drying my throat like smoke if I huff it trying to find the other notes.

Drydown: The strawberry and the green are trying their best, but they aren't able to overcome the plasticky paint thinner.

Verdict: Oh, cruel skin chemistry! I think I'll hang onto it for a few days in case (1) it's that time of the month and (2) I have a meet & sniff happening next weekend. But if it's as bad then as it is now, this will go to a better home and I may track down a decant for my scent lockets.

I never had luck with any of the Lab's strawberries. Most smelled like Strawberry Shortcake. With that in mind, I hesitantly bought Strawberry Moon based on willcall reviews.

In the bottle it smells like strawberry puree freshly cooked. Tart fresh strawberries. No sign of that fake strawberry smell. :yum:

Wet- it stays the same as in the bottle. OMG this is so delicious.

A few minutes later it just about disappears...oh no, where did you go? :cry2:

About 10 minutes later, the fresh strawberry note is back! No sign of dandelion and very little green. Just luscious, slightly tart strawberries. As it dries 2 hours later the berries sweeten, but never become cloyingly sweet. Lucky for me it doesn't turn to candy. It stays fresh and tart.

I usually don't buy berry scents. This is just gorgeous!!! :wub2:

Edit: Wore it today and it lasted all day. Didn't fade on me. Not much throw but that is usual for me with BPAL. So glad that I ordered 2 bottles on impulse!!

Edited by DeniseScan

This starts out very VERY strawberry - licious! Seriously, it's as fruity and delectable and red as a strawberry scent can be. It's very strong in this stage, and mouth wateringly luscious. After it dries down for awhile, it morphs into a sweet, innocent berry scent. This is much more subdued and it reminds me of a beautiful, soft strawberry musk. I can detect a bit of the sugared note. Its not as strong now, but still very beautiful and delicious.

I love this, it is better than the original and much longer lasting.

Imp: Perfect strawberries ready to be turned in to a delicious strawberry shortcake. You know like how you let strawberries sit in sugar for awhile (macerate?) and they make the perfect topping for anything.

Wet: Still those ultra-sweet strawberries with a teeny bit of grass that I'm scared stiff is going to take over...

Drydown: I shouldn't have worried. The deep sugary berry scent is still there and going strong.

Overall: I love it. It's the berry scent I was hoping and wishing for. It's wearable, it's got a bunch of throw, and it's just an incredible sunshine-y scent I'm probably going to abuse this summer.

So, today I went strawberry picking, to try to take advantage of the tail end of the season. When I got home, Strawberry Moon was waiting for me, so I had to compare the two. Ten pounds of sun-warmed strawberries just picked off the plant? Strawberry Moon perfume? Dead-on match, it was incredible. The rich, warm strawberry smell, with the faintest undertone of greenery and a hint of rich earth.