Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ravenclaw79

Strawberry Moon 2009

Wild strawberries, strawberry flower, vanilla-infused sugar, early summer grasses, and milky dandelion sap.

This was the first Lunacy I've ever purchased and I couldn't have picked a better scent for me. :wub2: I *love* this and wish I had thought to get two bottles!

In the bottle: it smells like strawberry soda or strawberry bubble gum
Wet: bright, juicy strawberries dusted with sugar or swirled with sweet cream, against a backdrop of sun-warmed grass and dandelions. Like a strawberry picnic in a meadow. :yum:
As it dries: the strawberry mellows to a ripe sweetness and the scent of grass and dandelion sap becomes stronger. For a few moments I wondered if it was going to become too soapy, but just as the dandelion sap threatened to turn overwhelming, the berry scent returned and I was in heaven. It was like a strawberry memory, or a sweet berry kiss. :wub2:

This lasted longer than I expected - hours after I tested it on my wrist I could still catch a whisper of strawberry. It wasn't a very strong scent, though, so I'll wear more today.

I'm going to be heartbroken when I run out of this!! Edited by Shollin

In the imp this was, like, supersweet omygawd candy. Really. I had my boyfriend sniff it, and he said it smells like Silly Straws-- exactly like Silly Straws. I'm a touch disappointed, because most perfume company's strawberry scents smell like candy, yet a number of the more recent strawberry bpals I've encountered have not. It just seemed rather generic.

On my skin, though-- I get the dandelion! I get it! I'm one of the lucky ones! It's like greenery covering the strawberries, like they're hiding underneath, and you have to dig down to get them! It's mostly green and leafy with a tiny hint of fruity sweetness tucked underneath. Maybe too sweet? I don't know. I'll wear this for the rest of today and decide if it's too candy-ish.

straight sniff from bottle is tart strawberries and something slightly green....

once applied this gets hayoogely strawberry in the most natural state ever...it has tons

of sillage and lasts hours on me...stays tried and true...so amazing and i love it!!

as a side note, i find it so intriguing how this has so many different reviews...esp, the ones

that mention candy notes...thankfully this happy camper gets none of those...

just fresh, succulent stawberries....

This is just beautiful.

You know how a great scent just transports you?

This is so dead on perfect summer spent at my grandparents farm, just laying in the yard reading, I almost teared up.

It's tart wild strawberries, crushed green grass, and the faintly sharp tang of dandelions warmed by the sun that the blanket you were laying on smells like when you pick it up to bring it back inside at the end of a perfect day.

I don't know how the hooey they did it. But it is absolutely lyrical perfection.

On impulse I got two bottles. And I am thrilled I did, I havent loved a scent this much in ages.

:squee:

This is how it morphed on me:

Bowl full of strawberries covered in sugar.

Bowl full of strawberries, covered in sugar, being eaten outside in a field. Summertime, sunshine, green grass, strawberries, sugared juice dripping off my chin.

Strawberries are now eaten, but there's the lingering scent of sweetness on my fingers mingling with the grass and dandelions around me.

This is just beautiful. I love it. :wub2:

When I was a kid-- more like a toddler-- I was obsessed with Strawberry Shortcake. My mother likes to tell me that I had a doll that blew strawberry scented kisses, and I'd take it everywhere, snuggle up with it to sleep, and generally pitched a fit if I didn't know where it was at all times. One day the family dog got ahold of it, and tore it to shreds. Apparently I was inconsolable. This is probably where my fascination with everything scented strawberry comes from. It seemed like fate when Strawberry Moon was the lunacy during my birthday month, and who am I to deny fate?

In the bottle, this is a very sweet, very real strawberry. It smells like it has a hint of vanilla, almost like strawberry shortcake piled high with whipped cream. Mmmm.... Wet on the skin, the greenery comes out more, so it smells like eating strawberries and cream on a freshly mowed lawn. As it dried down, it got a little bit soapy on me, but was still unmistakably strawberry. It's lasted several hours and is starting to fade, but fresh fruit smells usually get eaten on my skin in no time, so this stuck around for longer than I thought. I have some in my hair, and it's still going strong.

I'm glad I bought this bottle, even though it's really nothing like my dirty, dusty, incensey preferences. It's absolutely beautiful, and smells like pure happiness.

I don't generally buy backups of anything any more - I have so much BPAL that unless I went nuts with linen spray, lotion bars, and bath melts, I won't have gone through half of what I have now by the time I die. So most of the time if I have an impulse to buy extra of something I'm glad, in retrospect, that I didn't listen to the little voice.

With Strawberry Moon 2009...not so much.

This is very true-to-life Summer where little wild strawberries grow in fields (my father's parents' farm in New Brunswick, say), so when you winkle them out from their hiding places your fingers smell like grass and dandylions as well as the strawberries (tiny bombs of super intense flavor and scent, waiting to explode in your mouth, needing no dressing up with whipped cream and sponge cake, or even milk and sugar). I get a little sugar later, and some vanilla, which just makes the dry down less transparant than the early stages, which are all fresh growing things with lots of juice and sap. The strawberry does peek-a-boo throughout; just like the wee wild berries hidden in the field. It's beautiful, completely unlike any strawberry perfume I've ever encountered, absolutely perfect. Makes me smell as though I've been out exploring between the house and the river, and come home with my sundress pockets full of the berries I didn't eat right on the spot. I feel I should check in the mirror for stains around my mouth.

I may actually go looking for a backup bottle. :smilenod:

Short review: Strawberry Moon is made of crack; you will sniff your wrist off.

Long review: I am so glad I bought this sight unsniffed, which I rarely do. I adore Bon Vivant and Strawberry Moon sounded even better. I was right. This is THE strawberry scent. In the bottle it is so fresh, so true, like a concentrated SN. On my skin, it's more complex. Wet, it's candy-sweet, but still natural, not cloying. Drying, the green notes bloom and add a tang that balances the sweet. There was a moment where it threatened to go too acidic--I can see how it could turn medicinal with some chemistries. For me, though, it righted itself and became softly sweet vanilla-strawberry on the drydown. I could bathe in this. It is a joyous, juicy, summery scent that goes with a sundress and a picnic. :wub2:

I loved (and still love!) the first Strawberry Moon. When I saw that there was another one, I jumped on it and ordered two bottles without a second thought.

Turns out... I really should have paused for a second thought.

In the bottle, this is a bright, pure strawberry scent. This smells JUST like a fresh bowl of strawberries just waiting to be nommed.

Then I put it onto my skin and for the first five seconds, it still smells like strawberries.

Sadly, that passes. After a couple seconds, it gets darker and within minutes, it smells of nothing more than bitter dandelion greens.

I can't see that this is going to age to a place of happiness for me, given the nature of aging and scents, so it's going to have to go find another home.

strawberrymoon.jpg

I ordered this with a great deal of hesitant hope, since berry scents aren't always my thing, sugars often go plasticky on me, and the previous incarnation of strawberry moon that I tried smelled like acetone on my skin. But honestly, who doesn't love strawberries? I had to cross my fingers and order!

The hope paid off. This smells like strawberries. Duh. Okay, to be more specific, this smells like a mix of the most delicious home-made strawberry jam and a sheet of dried strawberry fruit leather/strawberry fruit rollups (in other words, super concentrated strawberry, not watery). With a hint of summery grassiness.

Does that sound weird? Well, its not. Its nomable. It is the uber-strawberry scent and it WORKS on me. From start to finish. I lurv it!

I am sad that the very cute label was damaged in shipping. Happily, the lab, being the wonderful establishment that they always are, is sending me another bottle with a fresh label. I lurv them, too!

Edited by jewelbug

I almost didn't get this because I don't like strawberry scented stuff. And I cringed when I first opened the bottle - the strawberry was soooo strong. But I tried it on anyway, and I fell completely in love with it. I wish I'd gotten more than one bottle. :(

i love, love, LOVE the original Strawberry Moon. i can't ever get enough of it.

so, when *this* Strawberry Moon came out, i didn't even stop to think - i just ordered as many bottles of it as i could afford. the bottle i'm basing this review off of came in yesterday's mail, so it has had over 24 hours to settle in from travelling....

and as it turns out, i should have just gotten one bottle.

sniffed from the bottle, i smell something bitter. the first thing that springs to mind is boiled grass clippings*, but i've never actually smelled that so i dunno why my brain tells me that's what i'm sniffing. (specifically the grass in my daddy's yard, which has lots of bitter weeds and wild onions. so i'm not talking about the pretty green grass smell...but a much more earthy scent)

once it settles in on my skin this smells like a strawberry Bonne Bell Lip-Smacker lip balm. all plasticky and artificial, with faint overtones of the scent of an inflatable pool float fresh from the package. or maybe plastic doll-head-smell. or the plastic twist-up-tube that the Lip Smacker comes in.

after a few hours, the vinyl and artificial strawberry scent morphs back into bitter boiled grass.

this makes me SO sad.

quick update: another day of settling in hasn't improved this at all, but layering it with Beaver'Versary did wonders for it!

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Lovely, from the first sniff in the bottle to the last whiff as it fades on my skin. I would have been happy with a candy-like Strawberry scent, but this smells infinitely better--as others have said, just like warm strawberries nestled in their leaves in the sunshine. The dandelion tempers the strawberry and saves the sweetness from being overpowering.

This blend is exactly the fresh, sweet, warm smell of picking berries in the summer, and it is instant happiness for me. I assumed this would be more of a Velvet Unicorn-type strawberry so I only ordered one bottle, and I'm kicking myself now...this one is stash-worthy.

Well, I was expecting to love Strawberry Moon 09 just as much as everyone else, but sadly things didn't work out that way. It's definitely an awesome scent, but it is not as candy-ish strawberry as I was hoping. It's actually smells more like a strawberry patch with light florals and leafy greens. I'm not the biggest fan of herbal, "green" scents, so I've already swapped this one away. My boyfriend doesn't like it much on me and I don't think I'd wear it much besides, even though I can appreciate the artistry that went into this scent and its lovely complexity.

Edited by ForeverLastcXs

Opening the bottle~ Sitting in a field of dew-kissed strawberries and burying your nose in a handful of 'em bursting with juice. This smells like what the most perfect strawberry tastes like as you bite into it. As it warms to the skin a light dusting of sugar appears, then a touch of creamy vanilla teases its way through. There's a hint of slightly sharp strawberry leaf and barely a tease of dandelion.

Absolutely beautiful! :yum:

So, in the bottle, I'll admit that to me, it smelled like strawberry sour belts. But once I actually put it on my skin? It's taking the first bite out of a particularly sweet and juicy, ripe strawberry after you've lightly dipped it in sugar. The grass is actually behaving itself extremely well and getting along wonderfully with the strawberries making this smell seriously delectable. GAH, this is love, and that's not something I thought I'd ever say about a berry scent to be quite honest.

Overall, I have a feeling that I'll be making a trip out to WCWC to pick up another bottle because this is a scent I have a feeling I'll be using quite often this summer. Why? Because it'll drive the boy up the wall since he loves strawberries so darned much. This scent is filled with so much win, I do believe I'm in lurve! <3

1st sniff: sharp green and plastic strawberries. i tested this on my wrist and it turned to soap.

2nd time a few days later: opened to sniff and the sharp green scent has calmed down...it's very much strawberries. i made the husband sniff it again as well and he loved it too.

this is the strawberry scent i've been looking for and i really love it!

The first Strawberry Moon was all candy and sweetness on me; this new version is greener and fresher. Ripe strawberries out in the sun in a grassy field with a few dandelions blooming...this makes me want to go berry-picking!! I'm surprised that the greenness of it is so prominent. It makes this blend a little more grown-up and wearable than the previous edition. So perfect for this time of year.

Nothing but love for Strawberry Moon, my favorite lunacy to date. :wub2:

From bottle to eight hours after application, this blend is exactly like fresh strawberries with a little bit of cream and sugar. I don't get any of the dandelion/greens that others have mentioned; it's a deliciously fruity, uncomplicated scent.

It has more throw than I expected--I was standing in line at the post office today and the woman in front of me complimented it (and of course she wants a bottle now). How I desperately wish that I had purchased two bottles but I will certainly cherish the one that I have.

The first time I tried this, it dried down to pure grass. Yuck! After a few days it's settled down to more strawberries + clover. The strawberry note is juicy and sweet, but not sugary. the fresh greenery grounds it very nicely. Love it!

This is a light strawberry in the bottle and briefly on the skin, but it quickly becomes all dandelion sap. I couldn't even say exactly what dandelion sap must smell like, but this must be it.

Maybe if I could get like 3/4 Bon Vivant and 1/4 strawberry moon...

Will let it sit for awhile, then may put it up for swap.

ETA: I like this more and more. I really have to slather though. A bit less dandelion now.

But still think I will try it layered/mixed with Bon Vivant.

Edited by Megank4

Once again, I was seduced by a lab prototype and stabbed in the heart by the final version....okay maybe not the heart, but at least the spleen. The final version is a nice strawberry with a hint of creaminess and green. What I loved about the lab's bottle was that it was very green and fresh. The strawberry and dandelion smelled real. This one...yes more like strawberry preserves.

Good god, this blend is So effing gorgeous. In the bottle it is rich red strawberry-not the pink candy strawberry I am used to with most of beth's strawberry blends-this is RED and juicy and fresh. Omg.

The greenness comes out when this is on my skin and moves it even further away from being a candyish scent. It is defiitely very sweet and sugary, but not synthetic or candyish. The grasses are very soft and muted, and the dandelion sap just mixes SO well with the strawberry. Green, but not intense green. Just stunning and unique and easily my favorite of all of Beth's lunacies evah!

If you are a strawberry fan, but have found that the other strawberry lab scents don't work on you, don't count this one out-it is not the same! Juicy sweet red strawberry perfection!

Strawberry Moon 09

In the imp: freshly picked strawberries sprinkled with sugar, and a hint of greenery. So beautiful!

Wet on skin: erk, this is becoming very sharp and bitter now…though I still smell strawberry.

Dry on skin: why hello there dandelion, you’re a little bit of a show-off aren’t you? Trying to get in the way of the strawberry? The dandelion has amped up and now threatens to overtake the delicate strawberry note, which in here is so gorgeous. I thought it would be too sweet yet sour, but the strawberry in here is very authentic in scent, it smells like the real fruit, complete with leaves. I can also smell some grasses, both fresh green and dried. There’s something in here that smells just like the scent of English meadows on a summer’s day, a kind of hay and dry grass and pollen scent, and I love that. But the dandelion is a little too strong and is stomping all over the strawberry!

After a while: oh strawberry? Where are you? Gone into hiding from big bully dandelion, I presume? That’s all I smell now. No strawberry, or at least, very little, maybe more of the strawberry flower than the fruit. Loads of dandelion and grass though. This dandelion isn’t gentle and softly green, this is an aggressive little weed that tramples all over the strawberry and vanilla and takes over completely. That said, it’s not a bad scent. A bit bitter and slightly soapy, but not bad. It’s just that I was hoping this would smell like strawberries!

And then this turns to an indistinct green-fruity-sour mush on me, like grass clippings and weeded-out dandelions with just the barest hint of squashed strawberry trodden into the grass. I am heartbroken.

Verdict: if the dandelion were just a tad softer, this would totally smell like nostalgia. Like the strawberry picking that was a highlight of every June. The scent of the greenery and the dry grasses and the sunshine, the cheeky thrill of eating the picked strawberries instead of putting them in the basket. But sadly, the dandelion amps to high heaven and gobbles up the strawberry. And this strawberry was not the bad variety! It was, for once, a lovely fresh natural strawberry that smelt like the real deal and brought back happy memories of childhood, but the dandelion completely overtook it, just like the gin note did in Velvet Pink Kitty. I think I’m the only person who doesn’t like dandelion notes (with the exceptions being the sublime Dog Days and Fairy Wine), and that’s all I get here. It’s a shame really, I was hoping this would be the ultimate strawberry…I passed my bottle on to someone who may love it more than me.

Emoticon rating: :cry2:

Is it a keeper? sadly not.

If you like this, try: Velvet Pink Kitty, Strawberry Moon 05, Beaver Moon 07, Bon Vivant

Edited by yeahbutnobut