Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lainevierge

All about plum!

I've recently discovered the glory of plum blossom in Lovers in a Ricefield and then I tested Bordello and fell in love with that plum too. Since I was never all that into fruity scents I never imagined I'd go so crazy for plum.

What are your favorite plum scents? Is there anything a newfound plum lover like me needs to try?

I was surprised that Lovers in a Ricefield had so much plum! I saw "plum blossom" and I know that the flower itself has no plum scent, so I figured it would only be floral.

If you like Ricefield, try Kitsune-Tsuki. It's the same yummy plum with light florals, so it's sorta like Ricefield sans-vanilla sandalwood.

I adore plum but there aren't a lot of blends where the plum stands out to me. Hmm... If you like the Chinese zodiac scents, try Earth Ox. It definitely had an earthy quality, so it didn't work for me, but it did settle down to a nice, complex plum scent.

Oh, me too! For me, the affair started with Prunella...and I have been adding plummy scents since. My current ( currant, lol!) favs are:

Dionysia

Oya ( omg, how did I not find this sooner?) :wub2:

Makhanitis (review from Pottersville, and I concur):

Black plum, burgundy wine, sandalwood, and champaca.

Yup, this is definitely a scent where you begin the description with ... "this reminds me of ....". Makhanitis is a lovely scent. Rich, dry, and heady. She reminds me of a drier Bordello and a less complex Mdm Moriarty, and Prunella is her kinder, gentler cousin

Love this. Like 4 bottles worth.

On my to try list:

Bathsheba

Kitsune-Tsuki

Horror Sympathique

I do care for incensey and earthy scents, so ymmv. But try Prunella.

I'd rec Bensiabel (Plum juice, lilac, leather, and a smattering of herbs); I love leather and lavender, and the plum just makes this even more gorgeous.

I've just ordered Prunella and Morgause...

Well, Prunella will sure be plummy... but Morgause? what is expected? Nobody has said anything yet.

Well, Prunella will sure be plummy... but Morgause? what is expected? Nobody has said anything yet.

I amp jasmine so that's all I got from Morgause. I love Prunella, its a little green from the wild flowers but is then all plum and cream. Dionysia is a very spicy plum, but also gorgeous. Blood Countess is a smoky plum wine. And of course Mme. Moriarty, which is just a beautifully blended sexy scent.

If you can get your hands on some....

MIDWINTER'S EVE!

Sugared plum yummyness!

:wub2:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Prunella! (I tried Bensiabel too, and my impression was 'masculine plum.' Most plums are rich and juicy, Bensiabel is more dry and cool from the leather and lilac, so it's a nice alternative.)

For me, Morgause was not very plummy. It has three aspects -- flowers, incense, and purple fruit. I got a LOT of flowers, with some incense and fruit.

If you like Morgause -- or if it isn't exactly what you want -- also try the Witch Queen. It's very similar, but for me, the fruit and incense are stronger. Very purple and rich.

Bordello is my favorite plum, and my next favorite is Prospero. (Also, Prospero was VERY much like Makhanitis, on my skin.) Prospero is dry red wine, plum, champaca, amber, and white musk IIRC, so it is a richer, classier sort of plum. :)

I'll second Dionysia. It has that intense PlumSN in it :)

I also think there was one of the most recent Shungas that was intensely Plum and probably I mean Makhanitis that samarablackcat mentioned upthread.

By the way, how sweet is Prunella?

I mean, is it tart with a little bit of sweet, or sweet with a little bit of tart?)

Hmm, I wasn't a fan of Makhanitis. I think it was the wine. I also disliked Blood Countess.

I think I'll be tacking Prunella & Bensiabel to my next order though. I don't know why I passed them up when I got my other Marchen imps. Creamy plum sounds divine!

Edited by lainevierge

By the way, how sweet is Prunella?

I mean, is it tart with a little bit of sweet, or sweet with a little bit of tart?)

I tried to test it again to answer your question, but it looks like I have Bensiabel, not Prunella. (But I plan to try Prunella again at will call tomorrow, so I'll let you know.) My general experience with plum is the same -- very ripe, juicy, and sweet, not very tart.

--

P.S. Bensiabel was a little dry and non-plummy for my tastes but I like the idea of it, so I layered it with a little Bordello and.... I'm in love. I have a new favorite layering combo now. Works way better for me than layering Bordello with De Sade.

Edited by naeelah

I also love love love Prospero but it is mostly wine and incense on me, but if you can hunt down an imp to try, it could be worth it (Try mixing it with Blood Garden, yummy). And how could I forget Midwinter's Eve?

I reread my review (those are really helpful!) of Prunella and to answer your question, Jupita, starts out tart and goes to a tad sweet.

I Adore Lovers in a Ricefield

Kitsune-Tsuki was one of my first loves

I cannot get enough Prunella!

Bensiable did something a little wonky on my skin and I smelled no plums or leather, though reading this makes me want to try it again.

I, too, would love more plummy goodness!

Don't overlook Bathsheba. The plum is well-mannered but it adds a lot to the blend. And it stands out more when it's warmed, in, say, a tart warmer, or a hot bath.

I began my plum obsession first with aged Mme. Moriarty :wub2: and then with Crypt Queen :wub2: ....which doesn't work on my skin :huh?: but that's a good thing, right? If you ever get a chance to try it, it's pure amazingness, but it smells a lot like aged Mme. Moriarty, but with raspberry. Anyways I love those notes like no other. So with my Strawberry Moon, I also ordered a vanilla and plum imp pact.

BORDELLO: I was a bit hesitant about buying this because wine usually doesn't work, but oh my god. This is so GOOOOOD! It's yummy and pretty and actually works with my skin. This is definitely going in my top five. I'm bad at placing scents, but looking at the description, I wouldn't have guessed the notes. It's definitely a light, fruity scent that needs slathering. It's blended well and very cuddley.

PRUNELLA: The imp screams wildflowers which is fine by me. I really like this one because it's plum with a green edge.

FRUMIOUS BANDERSNATCH: This one disappears on my skin so I can only smell some musk, which is horrible because I love all of the notes. I'm hoping it's because I'm all sniffed out. In the dry down I can smell the spicy carnations, but still no plum :(

Bordello definitely deserves the hype.

Edited by loladae

How does nobody mention Blood Countess? :wub2:

I adore it. Juicy, sexy, evil plums. Mmmm.

Chiming in with the plum love in Makhanitis. AS I tell everyone who compliments me on it

it's a Gypsy Headshop.

The plum must have some serious attractionz powers! Everytime I put it on my nose becomes attracted to and attached to my wrist...and then people become attracted and drawn to me!

This is the best plum I've tried yet.

They're all good! Bordello :heart: , Midwinter's Eve, and Dionysia are my top picks. Also, King of Spades and Queen of Spades, if you can find them.

I'm not good at picking out scents, so I don't know if it's the plum I'm getting. But I'm wearing Blood Countess right now and dang I smell good! This goes on sweet and then turns spicey. I thought I what I was smelling in the sweet part was the wild berry, but maybe it is the plum all along! (both the spicey and sweet)