Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
msbcozad

Bat of Longevity

French lavender, white sage, cypress, verbena, white peach, life everlasting, tansy, and black amber.

In the bottle and fresh on my skin, this oil has the same sharp lavender note from Yvaine. The verbena quickly joins the lavender on top while the sage and amber ground the scent. Peach floats in and out of the blend.

This oil doesn't morph much. What you have on first application is what you keep for the next couple of hours. Like the rest of the Bats, this is has very little throw.

In the bottle: Lavender and sage. Strange!

Wet: Lavender and sage are duking it out. It's hard to pick out the rest because those two are so aggressive.

Drydown: As the scent settles on my skin, the verbena comes out, but delicately. Cypress is in there somewhere, but I don't get any peach or tansy. Lavender is the most prominent note in the middle stage. At the end, this Bat goes to sweet amber, and it's gorgeous.

This scent stays close to the skin, and wearlength is around 2 hours.

In the decant: Wow! Strong lavender. Very herbal.

On my skin: I can smell the peach coming out, which tempers the lavender and other herbs nicely. Not getting any amber yet or else I just can't pick it out.

Overall, sniffing it straight from the decant is a bit off-putting, but on the skin it morphs into something rather lovely and delicate. It's becoming all sweet peach and soft lavender. Each time I sniff it I like it more and more, which isn't something I would have expected from reading the scent description alone! Even though I love peach and amber, I would have expected the herbal notes to overwhelm the blend entirely. It doesn't seem to be the case right now, however.

I'm not sure this is something I want to have a bottle of, but I will definitely be keeping my decant, I think! A few more generous tests will help me decide whether or not a bottle is needed. :)

Edited by ForeverLastcXs

Honestly, I didn't have high hopes for this one as I've found most of the lab's blends w/ lavender to be overwhelmingly lavender to my undiscerning nose. :P As such, I didn't get one for myself but from the bottle, definitely, I'm hit with LAVENDER lavender lavender. I can't speak for what it's like on my skin as I didn't skin test this one. Overall, I'm glad my gut instinct was right about this one as I really don't care for such a LE lavender blend.

This smells sooo lovely in the imp-lavender and sweet peach with a bit of sage. I really enjoy lavender blends, but they tend me to make me feel a bit sleepy-this one seems so bright and cheerful!

Whee! Yes, lavender and peach-sweet-a bit...citrussy? Someone I know described this as "lavender fruit loops" and that's an excellent way of explaining this XD

Yep, full drydown, still lavender fruit loops! Such an interesting combo...I'm digging it!

In the bottle: Lavender (of course!) and verbena. Maybe a little peach. It has a bright, tart, fruity edge. Could be both the lemon verbena and the peach. There is a deep bottom that could be the sage. Not getting any tansy, cypress, or life everlasting.

Wet on skin: The verbena is coming out to play but the lavender is keeping pace.

Dry on skin: Lavender and Lemon verbena. Relaxing and happy. Purple and yellow. Teeny bit of sage in the background.

very nice!!!

In the bottle: Lots o' lavender

On my skin: At first it's mostly lavender with hints of verbena. The longer it's on my skin, the more the verbena comes out. When dry, it's Lush's Avobath plus lavender. Seems like TwilightEyes and I have similar skin chemistry. ;)

This is my favorite of all the bats!! :wub:

Bat.LongSS-Ti.jpg

WHOA! I'm slapped hard with <i>green</i> (???) lavender and citrus! The two herbal giants of this blend are fighting it out on my skin while the other notes seem content to remain as spectators only. And unfortunately for me, verbena seems the most likely to come out on top in this grudge match, because while I am a huge fan of lavender, verbena (like most citrus notes) amps up on me to an unbearablely serrated edge to my nose. As the oil melded with my skin chemistry, I kept sniffing and hoping for...what? I don't know but I got it: the amber (which doesn't always behave on my skin) and the peach sneaked up and took over! Yes...as the oil dried down, both the lavender and verbena took themselves off in a...snit? Who knows?... and let the amber and peach play gently together, then fade into nothingness. And this all happens within a 2-hour span. So far in my Wufu experience, only Bat of Wealth has exhibited any long staying power, but this Longevity is second, at least, and it smells good on me. 3 of 5 stars for this Bat.

Edited by stellans

Bat of Longevity - This opens up with a strong lavender and sage scent, but as it warms up on my skin, the lavender recedes into the background and the verbena becomes the dominant note, backed up by the sage, cypress, and a hint of peach. A couple of hours into the wear time, the amber and verbena are the prominant notes, although the overall scent is very faint at this point. It's a light, fresh, summery scent on me. It's not really my type of scent, but I imagine that people who enjoy light, fresh scents would really enjoy this one.

Sniffed: Pleasantly herbal, in an aromatherapy/sleep blend sort of way. Definitely lots of lavender, and it's strong but not harsh. The sage is a lovely sage, very bright but again, not harsh. Same with cypress and verbena. I get a light hint of sort of creamy sweetness in the distance, from the combined forces of black amber and white peach.

Wet: Still strongly herbal with lavender leading the way, followed by sage and cypress, then lighter verbena (though the verbena is most distinct wet, with a lemony but not overpowering edge). Something sort of piney that's not cypress and I presume is the life everlasting. I get the white peach more strongly, and no longer really any of the amber.

Dry: More piney, with presumably life everlasting and the cypress amping a bit. Lavender and sage still going strong, and the verbena has amped too - it's a becoming more and more Pledge-like over time. I also get a bitter green note - LE or tansy? I don't know. It's not entirely bad, but I'm aware it. The verbena, at this stage, is my biggest concern. Otherwise, this blend has pleasantly surprised me.

Summary: Verbena, sage and cypress dominate. Much of the lavender has retreated. Still some other evergreen and bitter herbal notes. White peach is holding very well, but amber has completely disappeared. The verbena/peach combo makes this a very 'unique' blend. Insane throw, and good longevity (ha, ha!).

This ended up being my second-favourite bat, and I think without the strong verbena presence, I'd really like it.

Starts with powerful lavender, phew! Becomes lavender and lemon (that's the verbena), and softens enough to detect the peach and amber.

Nice enough but will be trading most of the bottle to a friend who adores this.

Sniffing the bottle, this scent has a strong lavender note.

Wet on the skin, I'm still getting that lavender note (which I love), lemon (verbena), and a touch of sage.

As it dries, I think I can now smell a bit of the cypress and a hint of peach. Still, this blend is mostly lavender and verbena on my skin, wet and dry.

If you're a lavender fan, it's worth trying. :)

Bat of Longevity is mostly a sugared lemon scent with medicinal undertones. Lemon-heads sour candies with an extra swish of peach sugar, plus what smells like pine, menthol and lavender soap on my skin. Dries down to a sweet lemon with a medicinal pine-y background. Not bad, but I find it to be rather boring and a bit too medicinal to be worn as a perfume.

Edited by Little Bird

I love the strong lavender note in the decant, but on my skin all I get is peach and verbena -- and even that doesn't last all that long. I wish I got the long-lasting lavender other reviewers are describing!

In the vial: Lavender, lemon, peach. This smells great!

Wet: Verbena first, then lavender and peach. It smells very bright and eye-opening, yet with a very sweet grounding.

45 minutes: Win! Want a bottle. It's sunny, fresh, cheerful, warm. I get the lavender, which is usually a note I can't do, but this version of it is terrific. The verbena reads very lemonish, which combines beautifully with the lavender. The peach doesn't dominate, but it's there in the foreground. The amber base is just warm enough, without being obtrusive.

Two hours: Less overtly perky and charming now, but it has settled down into a cheerful low-level fruity amber scent. It's great to discover a new peach scent.

Four hours: Amber and light peach, with a slightly sagey herbiness about it. It is very gentle, and sweeter than before. Still win.

Seven hours: Still gentle sweet bright peach over amber. I will be pursuing more of this one.

Why oh why do I have to fall in love with the unnattainable?? Wet and dry, this is the most beautiful lavender/citrus mint ever. Mint is not listed though, so it must be sage that I'm smelling. All I can say is WOW. :wub2: Whatever it is, I am loving the combination and will be trying to hunt down a bottle.

This makes me sad, it started as a great lavender blend with some verbena thrown in. Nice and herbal.

And it dries down to CYPRESS. Just this woodsy powder.

GRRR.

This is the bat, I most wanted to try. I adore all of the notes, except I was confused by the tansy, as I am pretty sure I have never smelt it before.

Immediately on skin this is lavender, sage and peach. Herbal and citrussy with a smidge of amber in the background. Swoon, I am in love. This is a lavender blend that has me shouting from rooftops, not snoring deeply.

Decant: Lavender and Verbena

Wet on Me: Lavender and Verbena and a touch of the white peach. There is some sweet softness I get that must be the amber

Drying Down: Lavender Musk is what I am getting now

Dry: gentle lavender musk. Not catching much of any of the other notes. But this is nice.

Edited by Coldfire

This is the Bat I was least interested in, because lavender is not my friend and verbena can be too OW MY NOSE for me. My bottle found me via swaps.. I was pretty sure that I wasn't going to like it but ohhhhh boy I was wrong.

Leaning in to the bottle for a big sniff was interesting - very sharp lavender but with a sweet edge. Initially on my skin it's strong lavender, herbal and pine - I don't like this bit very much.. it's waaaaay too pungent. Kinda like a lavender Vicks VapoRub smell. This passes after about 10 minutes and now it's a very bright lemon - for about another 10 minutes. But then the peach and amber come in, and it starts to sweeten up with a beautiful musky background. This is the bit that I love - it's warm and velvety but bright and shiny at the same time. The herbal tone does stay all the way through, but it mellows out and balances the sweetness nicely.

but looking at the notes..

what does 'life everlasting' smell like?

On the skin: Hello, Lavender! Whoa that is strong! I think there is also something slightly citrusy.....

Dry down: The lavender mellows out a bit. Becomes kinda sweet actually and reminds me a bit of TKO. Only with a sweet citrus instead of the vanilla.

I like this better than I remember when I first tried it when it came out.

I REALLY dislike lavender. I'm fine with it when it's very light and even enjoy it, but I amp it a lot, and my nose is very sensitive to it. The only BPAL lavender I'd ever found that worked on me was Quicksilver Phoenix, and even that made me slightly queasy. A kind forum member sent me a set of six or so sniffies of lavender blends (including TKO), and of all of them, the only one I could stomach at all was Bat of Longevity. Then, unexpectedly, I lucked into a bottle.

Finally, a lavender I can stand and even adore! I think it's because I amp verbena so much; on me, this Bat smells like lemon with a light lavender component and a whiff of peach. It's absolutely gorgeous, exactly the kind of light, barely-there-but-still-THERE lavender that I can handle and love. I am so happy to have fulfilled my lavender needs forever. XD

The only downside is that it doesn't last on me at all. I love it, but my skin eats it after a couple of hours tops. I will have to slather this, and I would probably sell or swap it if it weren't the ONLY lavender I can handle, because it makes me sad when my smellies stop being smelly that quickly. But I am hanging on to it, because I love it and was lucky to get it. :wub2:

I get sharp lavender in the bottle but nothing but lemon on the skin. It's a sweet lemon, like a lemon drop. Unfortunately, it doesn't last any longer than a lemon drop.

Peach cobbler. Really.

In the bottle, wet on my skin, and for the first two hours, it's been really sweet overwhelming peach cobbler. It seems that the lavender is trying to come out, but I'm not holding my breath...well, sort of.

I'm disappointed, because I worked hard to track this one down and had high hopes that the other tones would not be overwhelmed by the peach. Off to the swap/sale pile it goes.

Sharp lavendar in the bottle, seems to be more peachy and light on my skin. Dissappears quickly though. But, I've noticed this week my perfumes don't seem to last long. Maybe because it's winter and my skin is so dry? :huh?: