Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lizzieborden

Jolly Roger

Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

Out of the 16[squeal!] perfumes I just recieved, on first smell, I was drawn to this one. I immediately poped it open and slid some on.

First: I'm on a boat, rocking with the waves. An absolute distillment of ocean water. Growing up on my dad's boat, I thoroughly know that scent. It smells completely unisex, with a ruggedness, but still softness of water. It's sharp when I smell my wrist closely, due to the leather and salt, but otherwise, I'm just sitting here inhaling myself.

I'm about to embark on camping, so I can't wait to see how this matures with sweat.

If you're thinking about ordering this - DO!

I may have (yet another!) new favorite here. This is a wonderful scent, light enough for daytime. Smells like the sea, only better - finally, a bay rum that I like. The bay rum is fairly prominent on me, with an undertone of leather, and the whole thing is pulled together by the "ocean" smell, which is hard to describe. Definitely a masculine-leaning scent, but I like those. Very "adventurous" and evocative of bright sunny ocean and Caribbean islands ("Tortuga?" "Tortuga."). I'm definitely going to order a bottle of this.

Edit: after wearing this through at least one very hard martial arts practice, I'm happy to report that a) this has phenomenal staying power on me and b: it goes just fine with sweat.

Edited by Koumori

Is this what bay rum is supposed to smell like? I hope so ... I'm in love!

This is what the dock off a resort in Turks and Caicos smelled like. It was the most amazing blue water and white sand beaches, and there was salt tang in the air and water on the boards of the dock. Now I know what that other smell was - rum. Makes sense considering all the mixed drinks that were always available, but I thought it was something from the tropical trees and flowers that were everywhere.

The leather is a wonderful addition, too - it gives this a texture and depth that's more than transparent, crystalline, and jewel-tone blue.

Subtle, flowing, and emotionally moving.

Oh. My.

I can't even tell you how much I love this one.

To me this smells just like the wind in the Stockhlom archipelago.

I always used to sneak out really early before anyone else woke up and sit watching the sun rise out of the sea. The wind would pick up just a little and the sun would move over the rock and warm it up.

And this is what the wind would smell like; sea and summer and trees and sun.

Beth you are a genius :P

First sniff: Jolly Roger absolutely smells like the sea – very clean and crisp and wet.

Wearing: Pure bright seawater in Caribbean blue, with a definite salt-air tang to it. At one point I thought I smelled coconut, but I think that’s more a factor of my brain associating rum with coconut and assuming it’s there when it’s not. Fantastic mood-enhancer – transports me straight to the beach. Very unisex and clean.

so i had a long and annoyingly melodramatic - surprise - post written about this, but then i had a revelation..

i have a sick obsession with john frieda "ocean waves" texturizer. i know, i know.. hair products designed to make clean hair look like it needs washing are silly. still, it pleases me.

it MOSTLY pleases me. the problem with it is that it takes on all known fragrances and almost always wins. been struggling to find something that is similar enough to its beachy smell that it might have a fighting chance... since trying to work against it ends in failure, working WITH it seems like the way to go.

"ocean waves" isn't a nasty smell, or anything. just one that is victorious over most everything else.

EXCEPT

jolly roger.

YAY! *happy dance*

pirate references are an extra bonus, of course.

Initial Impression:

A perfect pirate scent! Smells of fresh salty seas and soaked wood planks. Elizabeth did an excellent job at capturing an "out at sea" scent rather than a "by the ocean" one.

After Wearing It:

On me the scent is overwhelmingly salty, like sailing on the sea on a very windy day where the waves are crashing over the sides so often and with such consistency it feels like they're dancing to the beat of a drum. I could smell, old well worn leather lacing through the salty air, along with a certain "aftershave smell that must be from the bay rum.

This is a really masculine smell, born from men whose women are only their mistresses because they are truly married to the sea, Wearing Jolly Roger is no day trip on a boat, it's about living and working with the water, the source of your joys and livelihood.

Final Thoughts:

This fragrance is amazing in the way it embodies its name. I couldn't imagine a more powerful scent for this kind of theme. However as much as I appreciate this scent for what it is, I could never wear it. It's too masculine, too salty and just not my style.

I will describe how this smells on my husband, and on me:

On husband - a little spicy, a little salty, a little leathery - all combined nicely. Kind of like a leather jacket that has been out in the elements for a really long time, so that new leather smell is really faded but still present. He's been wearing this as his spring alternative to DeSade. I think he's planning on a big bottle of it for the summer. It smells great on him.

On me - starts off the same as on husband when wet, but somehow morphs into a really offensive perfumey smell after about 1/2 an hour. It reminded me of a perfume that my grandmother wears called Chantilly, which is one of my least favorite perfumes (no offense to my grandmother, who is otherwise great). It just became really overwhelming and seemed to get stronger every minute and in the end made me feel a little nauseous.

:P Jolly Roger reminds me of Disney World resort hotels. Which is a clean happy scent. Salt glidding the air with the humidity, sweet bay rum being kicked up from the beach, and that over-all sexy masculine scent. i LOVE this one, on my boyfriend. :D

It's a toss-up between liking this better or Lightning. Jolly Roger is definitely a masculine scent but I absolutely adore it! Like most of the other posters, I'm saying, "Is this what Bay Rum is supposed to smell like?" Yum! I also get the underlying leather on drydown and an overall ocean-like scent.

I am going to quote a passage from the book Gone With the Wind to sum this up. It's when Scarlett has gone to Atlanta with Baby Wade and is somewhat dissatisfied at Aunt Pitty's house. She sums it up this way:

It was such a quite, old-fashioned, gentle home compared with Tara. To Scarlett, this house cried out for the masculine smells of brandy, tobacco and Macassar oil, for hoarse voices and occasional curses, for guns, for whiskers, for saddles and bridles and for hounds underfoot.

I think a nice dose of Jolly Roger would've put Scarlett back in the proper frame of mind. There's another passage in the book, its whereabouts escaping me for the time being, that refers to Rhett and how the scent of him appeals to Scarlett because it embodies all of the most wonderful things wrapped up in her childhood--again, Jolly Roger.

Reading all the rave reviews for this one,i thought i'd love it. Unfortunately,when i put it on i was reminded of those hideous 'sea breeze' scented room deodorizers : ( Which is really too bad,because i wanted to smell like a pirate...

ADDED 7/14/06:

OK. i am re-reviewing this. When i first tried Jolly Roger,2 years ago i think it was,it did NOT work for me AT ALL.

But,i've been wanting to try it again anyhow,cos i've been going through a more-masculine/androgynous scent phase lately. i got a free imp of it in my order that arrived today : )

It is COMPLETELY different from what i remember of it before. It actually smells like the sea this time around. The sea and Bay Rum. i don't smell any leather,but,that's ok,cos leather notes tend to disagree with my weird chemistry.

Maybe it's different this time around,cos this is the first time i've not lived near the sea,and i kind of miss it.

i like this alot now;i revoke my bad review of it from way-back-when :P

Way too masculine for me... my dad used to have a scent that supposedly smelled like leather and there are bits in here that remind me too strongly of it. I'll try it on the bf though, and see if he likes it :P As it's drying it's cleaning itself up though, but still.. very masculine.

Okay, this is one of the extras that Beth threw in, darling that she is, that I just... can't get behind. Reading the description, and all of your reviews, I have to wonder if I got the same oil mix.

Inside the bottle, and on me, all I get is overpowering, choking floral bathroom spray. It's almost eye-watering.

I feel so awful, as if it's a failing of my own senses or chemisty, to dislike any of the BPAL scents... but I have to just feel bad about this one. It's a loss on me.

I tried this at vaniclion's house today, and I get the same thing. I was expecting something pirate-y, but totally got 'air freshener scent' from it. And it wasn't any better on. I can't even tell where it's coming from .. as there's not a floral note in the description .. only thing I can think of is maybe he got the wrong thing?

this was really, really strong salt water on me.

stranded on a dinghy in the middle of the ocean in the blazing hot sun.

I really dislike this, the saltiness is mixing with something (leather??) and its making me quite ill. it seems like it would be an oil with some lasting power, but alas, not on me as I scrubbed it off quite quickly. I dont like my fragrances to make me sick.

Oh Jolly Roger...how I have been longing for you...

On First Sniff

Old pirate movies. The sea. People yelling "shiver me timbers!" Rollicking waves. Mint. Storms

After wearing it

YES. Another aquatic scent that doesn't disappear on me! I recieved this from the lovely Diana and wow...absolutely floors me. I was afraid that the rum would make this more mannish but it doesn't show up at all. The leather is very light (almost untraceable) but the defintie scent on me at least is just pure sea. Sort of like sitting outside cape cod on an early autumn day as the wind blows. Very very lovely. I agree with Dispatcherbert...its a toss up if I prefer this or Lightening more as they both have that more heady aquatic feel.

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!

I adored this one, but it is so very boldly "male" that I gave it to Red.

Smells like a more traditional (dare I say 'mainstream') men's cologne, but with that BPAL edge that hits you like commercial scents can only manage for the 1st 5 minutes before they fade to nothing.

Crisp, Bussiness like ( I got images of Red in a Black pinstripe suit & blood red shirt for some reason when I smelt this) & so very very masculine. I adored it & it smelt fab on me, but being a girly girl I figured I'd rather smell it on the boy than on me :P

I'm not sure I can pick out any specific notes, nor does it remind me of the ocean...a bit disappointing as I was thinking this would be a once of those fragrances that reminded me of the beach...but it doesn't matter! I LOVE IT! Very fresh & very clean!

More gender neutral than masculine on me...I'd love it in a shampoo.

At first: This spilled in the mail, so the whole order smells very perfumy, almost like laundry detergent. I swiped some of it on me, DH and DD before I cleaned up the other vials. It continued to smell perfumy and strongly floral. Very much like a room freshener. Not really my thing.

Dry Down: On me it gets very spicy and sweet, slightly floral. Smells almost like cinnamon. It reminds me of going to the Santa Cruz boardwalk in the off season. Cold ocean wind, cotton candy and ice cream, salt air. My sister sniffed me and said "Wow, that smells really beautiful on you."

On DH it's pretty much the same, although his skin just sucked it in. I have to really sniff his neck to find it (which he enjoys :P ). I think it's spicier on me.

The big surprise was DD. She ran off to play outside, and when she came back in she smells just gorgeous. There is a note that is not at all present on either of us adults. Vanilla, cinamon, honey and lovely spiciness that is exactly the way a little girl should smell. Too bad a three year old can't have a signature scent, because my goodness! She smells lovely.

I like this very much, but I'm sad that it doesn't smell on me the way it does on the baby. I think there will be a more perfect scent somewhere else for DH, but I might order this for myself in a larger bottle.

ETA: This lasted *forever* on me. I actually had to wash it off the morning after I applied it so I could put something else on. I wish I could get Manaed to do that.

Edited by Lexy

I only tried Jolly Roger as a room scent so far and it I love how it captures the smell of the ocean. Probably one of the most evocative BPAL oils I have tried so far.

I will update after I wear it, but I can already tell that this one is going to be highy changeable on me. It smelled different in the vial (fresher), on the wand (spicier) and on my fingers (more leathery and floral). This is going to be interesting!

Edited by Ishtar

first impression: the sea! I bet this would be great on a guy.

on me: At first, it smells like light salty sea spray with an undertone of bay. After a bit, the wood note starts to come out. Yum, this is the sexy - can't stop smelling my hand.

Anne Bonny is more of a hardcore piratey smell, but this is a more casual pirate who isn't really in it for the violence, pillage and plunder. Not Captain Jack Sparrow though, it's too simple/clean/fresh - more like Will than Jack.

I got the imp for my brother, but if he doesn't like it I'm so taking it back. Love it.

This was the first scent I put on today. I love it! It smells really clean and has a hard and soft side to it. I like that this could be used as a nice summer scent. Fresh air smelling.

in the vial: Eeeeeeeeeeee!!!! I smell the pirate-ness!!!! SQUEE!!

wet, on my skin: This is a big, sexy pirate (YAAR!)! I smell the sea, I smell the fresh air, and weirdly I smell dandelion (probably the bay rum), and I smell other notes I can't place, but it all smells very rugged and badass. I agree that it's more Will than Jack Sparrow, too. This would smell FABULOUS on a guy. I still like it a lot on me, though, too.

dry, on my skin: HOO BOY, this one lasts. This hasn't gotten too overpowering for me, though. I still really dig it. I really want to see what this is like in the diffuser... :P

I'll probably buy more when the imp is gone. :D

Everyone said, Oh, you've got to try this if you want to smell like the beach, so I did! Wet, it had a very strong piney scent, quite masculine, and I wasn't sure if I'd like it. But when it started to dry, a sharp, crisp mint note came out, and that was about all I got for a while. It's still pretty masculine, but it had started to sweeten up the longer I wore it, fading eventually to a faint sweetness on my wrist, though I could still detect the mint. I can't say I ever really smelled salt or sea in this, but it did definitely smell beachy. Because of the mintiness and the sweetness in the drydown, I think this layers beautifully with Tarot: the Fool. The Fool gives it a bit of JUICE from the fruity/appleblossom note in it, while playing up the mint and the herbiness, and bringing out the salt/sea smell in more complexity. The combination of the two in a beautiful summer blend. I can't wait to try this with Tarot: the Star, for what I've heard is the ultimate beach combination. I would love to smell this on a guy, but he'd have to be young and lithe and outdoorsy -- rawr. :P