Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
moonstonemama

Velvet Nudie

vellg-nudie.gif

VELVET NUDIE

Skin musk and flowering sugar cane.

in the bottle: I don't know what it is, but I don't think it smells good.

wet: very feminine and pretty, floral, but only just

dry: sweet and tart and floral. soapy. a floral sweet tart soap.

sweet and tart...with a bit of a floral edge. Since I just got this a few minutes ago...I am going to let it settle and review this one again. But overall it is light, sweet, and airy...and a little green. (i guess that is the soap note)

Drydown: This is a perfume that you wear when you want someone to get close to you and notice that you are wearing something. It is drop dead sexy....skin musk...and sugar. I :evol: it

Edited by Dark Alice

Subtle and soft. Musk and something slightly sweet and not terribly floral...or not any of the expected florals for sure. If you want to wear perfume that makes people think that YOU smell that good, this may be it.

As with many of the light musks, this will probably get better in about a week or more as it settles. I like this one very much already, though.

Sniffing the bottle, it's a very light musk and floral scent to my nose.

Wet on the skin, it's sugary musk. There is a bit of floral, but it's very minimal.

Dry, it turns into really sugary lemon on my skin then goes a bit powdery.

I agree that this is a blend that may need to settle for a couple weeks.

bottle: light sweet musk. reminds me of the musk used in some of the shunga scents.

wet: this has a sort of floral scent to it, almost like a soft sakura scent.

dry: the floral scent fades a bit as this dries but the musk stays the same, soft and close to the skin, but enduring.

There is a soapy intro, but judging by the way the scent settles down, it looks like a bit of aging will take care of it. It smells nothing like what it does wet to dry. Settled, this reminds me of a stripped down Salon--SCHLAFENDE BAIGNEUSE. ...and ohhh, of course, that makes sense doesn't it? :)

Where Schlafende Baigneuse is richly gilded with various delicate and creamy florals, Nudie keeps to the basics--the rich length of skin musk, and what I associate to be the same yellow rose note, sweet and charming, velvet soft, with a slight hint of fresh tartness to befit a young bud.

I think I actually prefer Nudie to the Salon, because the sleeping lady's perfume is a thing of fine-wrought elegance, as soft and pretty as it is. Nudie is that wonderful, on-the-go instant comfort, especially on the days I want to feel pretty but not announcing any attention to myself. Makes me feel like my skin has turned into the petals of a creamy-fresh flower petal.

In terms of sex appeal, I'd say this reminds me of the perfume in Suskind's novel, Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, or specifically, what I imagine Virgin #1 smells like, from the perfume coffret created for the theatrical release of the film. The scent of Before, beguiling.

Specifically, Christophe Laudamiel (perfumer) in this interview says: “Ah, we used to have have a botanist at IFF, B. D. Mookherjee, who would analyze flowers through headspace technologies. One of his experiments involved taking this technology from the navel of a young virgin, it was all done with her parent’s permission and had a lot of criteria involved such as diet, etc. and we recreated his technology for the odour Virgin. It was the scent of clean skin. This was only one facet of the scent, the innocence came from yellow plum Schnapps.”

I get the same feeling from the skin musk and yellow rose.

From Basenotes:

Virgin #1

No. 1 Part I, Chapter 8 of “Perfume: The Story of A Murderer”

Marian Bendeth: The smell of pubescence. A young girl perspires, revealing ovulating or menstrual notes with a dollop of cream through her young skin. Watery and warm, the odour spirals up in a circular way. I have smelled this note a thousand times rising through fragrances on young skins of my female customers who are usually between the ages of 11 and 16 years old.

Perfumer's Intent: The scent of innocence, born with scent molecules of fresh milk, white rice and yellow plum Schnapps.

Premise: A thirteen or fourteen year old girl is sitting at a table cleaning yellow plums. The sweat from her armpits smell as fresh as the sea breeze, the oils of her hair is a sweet as nut oil. Her skin like apricot blossoms; her private parts like a bouquet of water lilies. It was pure beauty.

Edited by cinderfallen

This brought the latest Shunga blends to mind.

There is an airy, fresh quality.

Pretty and soft spoken.

This would be lovely as a bath set, too.

Wow. This is way sexier than I expected. I absolutely hated Giant Vulva, so I was afraid that the skin musk and sugar cane would once again turn me off -- Giant Vulva was lemon-y and almost sour. This, however, is just barely there at all, and it really does smell almost like it could just be the scent of my skin, if I naturally smelled feminine, soft, and gorgeous. I would definitely recommend this oil as a nighttime perfume, if you know what I mean. It's the kind of thing that could make a guy (or girl, if that's your thing) think that you're incredibly sexy without even trying. Which, of course, I'm sure you are. ;)

Why I got this: I love skin musk and anything with the word "nudie" in it is going to get my attention!

Why I was concerned: BPAL scents with "sugar" in the description have not worked out well on me in the past

What it ended up being: It's a very close scent, definitely a skin scent as one might expect from both the name and the notes. Unfortunately, the floral note takes a soapy quality and keeps this from being really loveable to me. It's nice enough, and wearable in a way that I think it's pretty inoffensive and could be worn by anyone anywhere.

What it reminds me of: It reminds me of Bonne Bell's Skin Musk only it's more floral and soapy. Sort of in the same vein though.

Perhaps I have come to the conclusion that I must avoid anything with "skin musk" because there hasn't been a blend with it in it that has worked for me (when will I learn?!?!)

Anyways, with so few notes I thought for sure this would smell good on me. Looks like I was wrong. The skin musk (or maybe the flowering sugar cane - GAH!) gave it a floral vibe and it was much too feminine for my tastes.

ETA: Still, I'm 4 for 5 on the Velvet collection, so I'm not going to get too down that 1 hasn't worked for me.

Edited by Midnight Aeval

In the vial, and when I first applied this, I could hardly smell anything. As someone who was very much looking forward to this one, that was disappointing. As it dries though, it becomes more and more noticeable. Very pretty, very feminine, a beautiful floral. Close to the skin, definitely one you'd wear when you want to be subtle and sexy at the same time. (I totally agree with kiki)

I hear this is similar to Giant Vulva. Yep, this is why I bypassed that Giant Vulva craze entirely and never looked back...I already have the Glowing variety and can't see how it could be improved upon in the arena of vulva perfume, but...*ahem* I digress. This is lemony and sweet. It's...okay. Just okay. I fail to see what's nude or sexy about it, though. I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Lemony sugar water...*not* mind you, lemonade. Just luke warm tepid water with a vague essence of lemon and a ton of sugar dissolved into it...and I LOVE lemon perfume so...*shrugs*

based on the ingredients, i had assumed this would be a cross between white musk and Sugar Moon.

sadly, i got neither from it.

the musk was light enough, but on me the flowering sugar cane just did that thing that many of the Lab's Spring Florals do on my skin, and that's become some nice-smelling shower/soap thing.

*sigh* ><

still, i'm glad i got to try it, even if it's to find out it's *not* for me. :(

Sugar scents don't normally work for me, but I think that skin musk might actually be a good not on me...

So, on the skin this scent turns into a lemonish slight floral with some other note that is a bit deeper and harder to describe. Strangely enough, I like it. Don't normally like anything lemony, but this is actually nice and friendly. It has become my first ever "workout scent". I just put it on and think "Yeah, I am such a Velvet Nudie, now go exercise and get that nudie butt in to shape." Hee hee!

Oh gawd, this smells soooo sexy in the bottle...askdjkalsdj...soft skin musk and delicate, sweet sugar cane and a whiff of flowers. OMG. So gorgeous. I had sniffed this at will call and fallen in love, but now I get to test this from the bottle and really savor it on its own.

I had waffled on the past two Vulva scents, and now I don't regret it, because this one is for me-on my skin, it is just perfection-just melds SO well with my chemistry. Soft sweet sugar and musk and flowers-maybe a touch of lemon. So simple and beautiful. So sexy. *sigh*

Yep, there are just no words to describe how much win this blend is-perfect gorgeous skin hugging sweetness. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

Edited by Suu4LC

In the bottle, this reminds me of Dior. I can't remember exactly what Dior fragrance it reminds me of (Miss Dior Cherie?), but it definitely has that fancy, perfumey quality. Perfumey musk and sweet florals. I'm also getting a lemony sharpness, though I'm not sure why...

On my skin... lemons. Why lemons? :/. Musky, sharp lemons and a bit of baby powder. And that's pretty much how it stays on me. Velvet Nudie is lemons and perfumey musk, with an overall very dry, powdery feel.

I really don't care for lemon smells (unless the lemon is paired with cream, sugar, and cake notes, lol) or dry/powdery scents, so this isn't working for me at all.

In bottle/imp: Very clean floral with almost a hint of citrus.

Immediately on skin: This smells very clean, but it’s not sharp. It’s almost like someone washed with some lemon floral soap, and this is the scent of their clean just-washed skin. It’s warm and intimate, but fresh and slightly perfumed at the same time.

After a little while: This stays very soft and doesn’t seem to have much of a throw. It smells almost exactly the same as when I first applied it, except it’s a little less floral/citrus-y now. It’s soft, warm, and clean.

Overall Impressions: I was expecting something a little bit muskier and maybe more sugared from this, but it’s a pretty scent nonetheless. It’s a soft, clean, warm and slightly perfumed skin scent. It doesn’t smell overly clean, or musky, or floral, though. It’s very well balanced and just very nude and pretty.

Sniffed: Skin musk (which to me is always slightly astringent, like witch hazel) and gentle, citrusy florals. Very delicate and clean; mildly soapy, but not in a bad way.

Wet: More citrusy - definitely lemon, and maybe some white grapefruit zest - this is more like lemonade, not like Pledge Doom. The skin musk is a bit softer/rounder. Still a little soapy, like soap bubbles (this is what I imagined Gossamer would be like).

Dry: Very, very slow to dry. It's getting a bit more sweet and sugarcane-ish - which to my nose sort of smell like bamboo (watery/fresh, slightly woody) combined with diluted sugar water. Still a very delicate scent. I agree that this is similar in feel to Dirty.

Later: The floral smells vaguely tropical to me - actually, part of the citrusy feel might be hibiscus - yes, I really think it is! This is not morphing. Very true to the bottle scent. Also - I think there is peony in this. *compares to SN* Yes! There is.

Summary: Watery lemonade with loads of delicious sexy sweet musk, sugar cane, hibiscus, peony, and faint soap. Very likely white tea, too - it has the smoothness. It is very much a skin scent, very subtle, feminine and youthful. I love it. :) Good throw and longevity, too.

If you like this, you might like: Dirty, Ebisu, The Dormouse, Itaso

*mysterious double post, wtf?* I clicked edit...

Edited by Shollin

At first it's mostly clean smelling, a bit lemony with a hint of musk and sugar cane. After a little while the lemon fades and it goes rather perfumey. Very nice and subtle, just a bit too perfumey for my taste. I like my scents a bit more....unusual. :lol:

Thank you so much, LJ decant circle person who sent me an empty 5ml of this. I LOVED the prototype and I was all set to order, but the final product, oddly enough, doesn't wow me. The prototype was unexpected, the finished one smells like what I thought it would smell like. It is still a beautiful scent, just not the one I wanted.

The prototype was extremely bright and zesty, very lemony but in a beautiful way. Instead of being cane sugar (as I misread the notes), it smelled truly like sugar CANE, the raw plant snapped open, sweet and green. Under that was skin musk, and I never smelled florals. I've never sniffed another BPAL like it.

The finished version is predominately floral. I thought by the sound that it would be like a lighter version of Giant Vulva-- without the thick waxes. The light, airy florals and sugar cane (which now smells like regular cane sugar, soft, fuzzy, lightly sweet) do indeed recall Giant Vulva. Anchoring it all is skin musk, which is less perceptible here. It does still have a lemony edge, but it fades away as it dries.

Totally dry, this is very much an "I'm not wearing perfume" perfume. Airy, barely sweet flowers like a spring breeze, anchored by clean skin.

Skin musk with a slight citrus undertone. The musk is light here, and the blend is a little creamy and sweet. I get the impression of a floral, but its very light and mild. More the impression of rather than the actual scent. The sugar cane takes a WHILE to come out. I didn't detect it until 2+ hours into the drydown. On me, this has very little throw, but it does seem to last. I like it, but I'm not in love with it.

Initially I smelled lemons too when I put it on, then it settled down into a soft musk. Very light & airy - not sure it's a winner, but nice.

Hhhm, from the description, I was expecting something very different. Velvet Nudie is super clean, not a warm skin musk at all. There's a white musk underneath it all, but not very reminicent of sexy skin musk I normally think of. Wet brings an opening blast of aloe and an almost gree tea like sweetness, very bright and clean. There's a bit of a lemon like feel to it also, almost becoming more like lemongrass as it dries. The dry down leaves the musk to come out of its shell a little more, but it is still a clean, faint musk, a little drier as time goes on. A clean inoffensive perfume, a bit of a surprise, as I was expecting this nudie to be muskier and riper and more voluptuous.

Nudie starts out so light it's barely detectable, but it opens up and blooms after a few minutes and it's quite lovely--a sweet, faintly citrusly skin musk. Very close to the skin, very sexy, very traditionally perfumey--NICE! Seems to have decent staying power for something so light. This is one of those scents you'd wear to bed Marilyn Monroe-fashion, if you know what I mean. Might be bottle-worthy.

Sweet, and sensual with a hints of citrus and florals. It bears repeating but Velvet Nudie is a soft and clean. Freshly washed skin that was kissed by lemons. This is gorgeous and multiple bottle worthy.

Edited by Shollin