Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Bohun Upas

The Tree of Poisons. Every aspect of this tree is toxic, from the narcotic, lethal fumes that it emits, to its oozing, poisonous sap.

A deceptively tranquil scent: heady fruits, dry bark, and deep green leaves, enveloped by a dark and sinister murk.

Sniffing the imp, it's a boozy fruit scent to my nose. After applying to my skin, the booziness dissipates and I'm left with a fruity greeness. As it dries, I smell a woody note, must be the bark. I really love this scent. It's a darker scent, but not oppressive. The fruit notes are tempered from becoming too sweet by the green & wood qualities.

Very green and planty, with something that reminds me of evergreens. Is there a teeny bit of vetiver here as well? A bit on the manly side.

imp: this is fruit and greenery. very lovely.

wet: dark, smoky fruit and sharp greenery. i'm thinking i need a bottle.

dry: the greenery strengthens a little bit once dry and really balances the fruit well.

In the bottle: Pale yellow oil. Sharply green and woody, with an underlying hint of sweetness. Masculine. A bit mentholic, verging on masculine. Some dark resins, too, almost smoky, that add depth.

Wet: Gentler and more appealing, almost with an aquatic quality. More of that dry, woody bark - cedar or rosewood, perhaps? And some spicy note, that's dry, and sort of exotic...ah, ginger, and some allspice.

Dry: The ginger has become brighter, almost juicy, though it's still spicy, and thus merges with the spicier, deeper allspice. As for greenery, I've picked out lavender and bergamot, and maybe some basil. Finally a bit of fruit, something dark and berryish - maybe plum?

Later: Hello sexy musk, is that you? I think you're black musk. You have that sweet depth. Also, more wood and resin. Tobacco. Benzoin, and something smoky. I do think there's a bit of vetiver, and maybe some frankincense.

Summary: Rich black or wild plum - it's there, but it's dark, not overly fruity - with loads of spicy ginger and allspice and dry, warm rosewood (or something similar, possibly oak). A good blend of resin and incense to sweeten and deepen the blend, some vetiver and tobacco to give it an edge, and hints of lavender and bergamot to keep this green and herbal. Good throw, great longevity.

It's a lovely, unisex scent that evolves greatly on my skin. Sniffed. it's not appealing, but on my skin it turns into something very nice. Not quite me, but lovely all the same, and probably gorgeous on a man. So far, these new RG scents are WIN!

straight sniff from imp is boozy and fruity....

once applied there is this fantastic wood note...most likely that "sinister murk"....i love it!!!

gets greener and murkier as it wears...

absolutely unique and a total winner...i needs me a big bottle :evol: :glomp:

I find this to be more a masculine sort of blend. I get a chypre with musk. Fairly unisex, veering into the masculine. I get touches of ginger and lavender.

Yes, def. masculine. A bit better than the first time I tried it, but still not for me.

Smells rather dark, and a bit like ferns?

In the imp, this smells like pine trees and ferns - all green and fresh.

On my skin, Bohun Upas smells like one of those green pine tree air fresheners that people hang on the mirrors in their cars. Air freshener pine. It reminds me of Dublin. Over time, it gets more soapy-fresh on me, like fabric softener sheets. It's still artifically pine-y as well. Joining the soapy-pine is a hint of spice that smells like cinnamon on me.

Air freshener, fakey pine and a hint of spice. This isn't a keeper for me.

Imp: A sharp perfume smell.

Wet: Herbal with a hint of evergreen.

Drydown: This scent is very herbal and dark green. There's a hint of "spice" waaaay in the background. Something like cardamom. Maybe it's the bark?

Overall: This isn't bad, but I don't think I'd wear it. It's gender-neutral leaning on the masculine side. Smells slightly x-mas-y.

Smoky fruit a la Lunar Eclipse or Dark Delicacies. Dark fruits and smooth greenery, with a hint of woods. I think I can detect plum, and just the barest hint of apple. I'm not getting a whole lot of musk here. Nice, with a good depth. I can't typically wear fruit scents, but this one is doable on my skin.

In the bottle - Dark gree; herbal, but slightly fruity

Wet on me - A green, thick, dark, slightly fruity, but mostly herbal scent

Dry on me - The herbs dry sweeter and softer

Overall - Not really me, but not unpleasent

Crisp, sweet fruit, bark, very mellow spices, and a bit of that smokey smell i associate with vetiver. The fruit part reminds me of apple, but no one else has mentioned apple in their review, so I have my doubts. Strangely enough, my overall impression is evil potpourri. There's this sweet, reassuring, homey fruit/bark/spices thing and underneath it all is this lurking, menancing ashy air smell.

I love it :)

Edited by doodlehum

Way lighter than I expected, as everything I've so far tried in Rappaccini's Garden has been blackly herbal and rooty. Bohun Upas, however, is a pale fruit and musk scent on me. The fruit is a slightly floral grapefruit/yuzu with a bit of plum, the musk old-fashioned and... somehow both powdery and slightly foresty at the same time. I literally have no idea how others can be getting "masculine" or "spicy" or "smoky" from this. I either have a mislabeled imp (lab fresh frimp) or wildly divergent skin chemistry. :lol:

I don't think I've tried a scent yet that morphs so much...

In the imp:Dirt, Plastic, Lemon, Pine, fruity candy. Very, very complex.

Wet: Something is burning! My skin is red! But, this lasts only a minute or two. Didn't even have a chance to wash it off and it stopped. It smells of gingerbread.

Dry:Now it smell like a gender neutral floral. Almost want to say linden blossoms, but there's something else. Artificial musk and plastic christmas trees.

Overall: This scent is too complex for me. It morphs so much in a few hours, I didn't know what I was wearing. And the burning really BURNED! Just no for me.

Bohan Upas - This is a really pretty scent! It's very dark and heavy, with a pimento berry type fruit note. It's really hard for me to describe -- it's just dark and slightly fruity, but not in a juicy way, and the "deep green leaves" aren't "green" in the typical sense or in the evergreen type sense, either. It's almost like a green plant you'd find deep under water. I'm sorry I'm not describing it well at all -- it's just a really pretty, dark scent that's highly unisex and something I feel I could wear on a night out when I really want to feel sexy.

Wet: green cologne

On skin: wow, potent! It's wafting a good 12" off my arm. Pungent mossy green

Half-hour later: dark fruit and musk are trying to anchor the green cologne

In conclusion: this is one of the strongest blends I've ever tried -- the imp packs a wallop! This reminds me of an aftershave my dad would wear in the '70s, like Skin Bracer. Too masculine on me unfortunately. Whoever buys a bottle of this would get their money's worth, as the waft goes like gangbusters.

wowow, just as someone mentioned above, this is pretty, dark, spicy, green etc...all those things, without exactly being "all those things"....I was in a rush this morning and hadn't tried this - couldn't even remember what familiy this belonged (matter of fact was thinking maybe it was a tal for good fortune or something hahaha) and sniffed the imp - didn't find it too perfumy or offensive (some things i sniff and i just know that maybe i don't want to commit to it for a workday) and slathered it on my wrists and ran! Slightly lemony to me, and barky i'd say...i tend to like things that remind me of bark, wood, etc...and this does...i didn't get much green (not a moss fan and this was great!), more like a slightly citrusyfruitysaltywoodymuskyish without being powdery. Yes, a tad masculine - or unisex maybe is a better word, but i love all things men so whatevah....i really really really love it!

eta: i didn't find it too strong or overbearing at all and for me this has normal throw, nothing "too much"...and i tend to get headachy on anything heady or cloying (even when it's my fave like hearth 04 or sin), so this isn't bothering me a bit - still worth a try for those afraid of that.

Edited by kmasden

In the frimp, I'm getting something similar to a fruit tree; fruit, and what I'm assuming is wood. On my skin, it turns into a boozy fruit and wood scent, with a hint of musk. Hmm. We'll see what this does. Aaand the combination of the musk and the woods on me seems to have sent it careening into cologne-ville. If there was a man in my life, I'd probably give this to him to wear. Sadly, there is not, so to the swaps/sales with this.

Edited by Venneh

As with a lot of the Garden scents, I get a lot of 'green' from this -- bark, roots, even a little bit of dirt. There is a bit of sweetness there, as well, as if the deadly tree has bait to lure victims in to sleep forever at its base. It has a nice amount of throw and lasted most of the day.

Imp: Pimento and cypress?

Wet: This goes on very light. Very crisp and green with a bit of a fruity scent from what I think is a pimento/apple combo. A hint of something darker--probably musk/vetiver?

Dry: There is something a bit sharp and nose-stinging in here. Benzoin, maybe? It's a sharp, woody, semi-floral, semi-fruity scent. Very complex and a little maddening. Whenever I think I've pinned down what's in here it morphs a little more and leaves me confused. Very sharp on my skin.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: An interesting experiment in skin chemistry but ultimately not my style.

The notes are nothing alike but the complexity of this scent reminds me of The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Both of them have notes from several different scent categories and are well blended complex scents that are difficult to pin down.

The description mentions that the fumes of this tree are poisonous and I get that sense from the scent. It is very aromatic and fume-y.

There is some fruit, blended with something sharp and aromatic, maybe a turpentine-like resin?

As it dries there are lovely green notes and some spiced bark and musk in the background.

It isn't something I would wear as a personal scent but it is very interesting to sniff. It is more a masculine scent but because of the spiced greenery might be nice for a woman who likes more masculine scents. This will smell quite different on different people as it is complex.

Edited by Myrrha

Fruit emacited in wine, that's what the imp smells like.

Goes very green with my skin chemistry. The darker fruit lingers in the background while the poisnous green leaves come to the forefront.

Whoa thanks for the best frimp I could have received out of rappaccini's garden, lab!

First applied, I smell wine. Kinda more muscat than red. There's a big swirl of dark red opium, plus deep lush orchids & broad green leaves.

Drydown: opium and a small amount of greenery and wine. Very languid and liquid. Sigh...

In the bottle, it smells dangerous and alluring. It's much more than the scent of a plant, which isn't quite what I was expecting.

On the skin, wet, it smells fruity and green in a way that reminds me of Christmas. I can smell a quickly developing spice.

The more it sits, the spicier and muskier it gets. Now it smells very smooth and subdued; there is no sharpness left. It's just spices and fruits and woods and musk. It smells expensive, and I really tend to love those types of scents.

This is BEAUTIFUL and not at all what I was expecting. In fact, I didn't expect to like it all that much (let alone love it), but the description was tempting. It's perfectly unisex; in the context of my own arm, it smells somewhat feminine, but on a guy I think one might say it was masculine. Really glad I went ahead and put this on my wishlist!

I wouldn't call this tranquil, deceptive or otherwise. It is quite bold: fruity and dark. I like it but it doesn't really stand out from the pack; there are may others that smell similar to me. After an hour or so it fades into a very generic perfume. My cat likes it though, he keeps trying to bite my hand.

Edited by Altaira