Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
dawndie

Chaos Theory V: Recursive Self-Similarity v2

CCCIV

A very strong O base - rich, mouthwatering, sweet honey. In the bottle, it actually smells like cherry candy. Applied, however, it quickly becomes apparent that this is a floral. Very juicy, similar to Katrina van Tassel, except it's lily, not rose. This is the sweet, juicy sort of floral scent that makes your mouth water -- not the kind that's powdery or makes you want to sneeze. It might have a very small amount of rose in there, too.

Extremely feminine, but not soapy in the least. Almost sugary, but with more depth.

OK - I bought this off a forumer too - described as a super honey O - yes, very sweet, but with a cinnamon vibe? :blink: It has a bit of cake too? Very foody & sweet. :D

Edited by GardenCat

LX (60)

That lovely crunchy honeycomb-&-musk of O, but with something... minty & aquatic, maybe? Wait... tea? O + green tea & a bit of mint? This is really interesting - the unctuous sweetness of O, but with a deep, cool, almost bitter undercurrent.

I wasn't at all sure about this at first, but now I'm thinking this is a keeper - worth saving to try in the hotter weather, for certain :yum:

ETA: Ehn. Something in this went Uber Musk very late in the day - akin to Jacob's Ladder, which I just cannot wear, as it reminds me too much of my dad :(

Edited by tartchef

In the bottle: uhhhh... mint? Green plants? Soft florals? Honey.....

On my skin: No mint. Floral - a little bit - but herbal, too. Sort of like flowering herbs. The honey note is faint in this; it's really about the flowering herbs that the honey is made from (in theory).

I'll have to try it again when the bottle recovers from its travels. As it stands now, it's pretty but gives me a headache :(

CCC

This one smells very strong....when I opened the bottle it seriously hit me in the face!! O and peppermint...this is a buttery peppermint.....it reminds of of an essential oil that is used during my accupuncture.....very nice and happy!

CCLXXX???(the numbers on this one are very hard to read, mostly worn off)

I hit the jackpot with this one :thud: I thought SMUT when I first opened the bottle...but once I put it on it turns to snake charmer meets mme moriarty......I think this might be O with black plum and red musk??? I had to look again at the bottle because I get no O from this whatsoever....I thought maybe they gave me a snake oil bottle on accident.....but it says O on the bottle. Either way this one is a clear very thick oil....and heavenly...keeper for sure!!

III (or maybe CIII)

In Bottle: The number is a guess as the writing’s almost worn off. Husks. Dry husks. Dust. Grape? A hint of smoke. Maybe some fruit or dragon’s blood. This is alarming and confusing all at once. The Ashy husk notes are so strong it’s hard to guess the rest, really. I am leaning toward grape, which is not auspicious knowingmy skin. Wet: Ashes and grapes. It’s like someone burned a vineyard. Or ciggarettes and grape juice. Dry; whoa! That’s completely different. It’s a rich fruity insense blend, strong and sweet and succulent. It’s still very not me, but It’d be lovely on several women I know. I do thank that’s dragon’s blood and various red smelling fruit with… maybe amber? Anyway, it’s lovely, but too intrense and womanly for me.

CCXC

In bottle: honeyed florals

Wet on skin: mostly florals... can't pin down exactly what kind. Maybe soft lily with the barest hint of white rose? Not overly sweet, there's a bit of sharpness on the backside, but not unpleasantly so.

Drydown: florals are mellowing and I'm getting a bit more of the honey with some creaminess. Beeswax maybe?

Later: hmmm... sometimes when I huff, I get sweet flower honey, other times I get just soft flowers. It seems to be fading pretty fast - this scent's only downside.

Overall: very lovely light scent, perfect for spring or summer. I'll dilute in an atomizer so I can spray like crazy. ^^ With the Chaos Theories, one always risks getting something that doesn't jive; fortunately, I am very happy with this one... it suits me perfectly. :)

Chaos Theory V (O) CCXXV

In the bottle: mmm, this reminds me of Ozymandias/Great Cry in Egypt. Honeyed resin and musk.

Wet on skin: gorgeous deep MUSK! Oh nom nom nom…

Dry on skin: this is gorgeous. It smells predominantly of a dark smoky musk. Probably a black musk, dark musk or maybe Indian musk note. it’s got a very incense-like feel to it, fringed with smoke…there’s a dry woodsy smoke, and a more resinous smoke. I can smell resins underneath the smoke too, like frankincense or myrrh. And then there’s the honey and amber of O. It reminds me of Ozymandias but muskier, less airy. It reminds me of Great Cry in Egypt but less spicy. And I love Great Cry and Ozy, so this makes me very happy indeed.

After a while: this wafts like mad, and I love it! it’s honeyed amber with a deeply musky core surrounded by clouds of incense smoke. it’s pretty much perfection! At this point, I smell saffron (like in Great Cry) and ambergris, as this now bears a passing resemblance to Phallus Head, that hint of golden slightly salty ambery musk, but there’s a resinous golden feel a bit like Jacob’s Ladder too.

Verdict: if I were to name this scent, it’d be called ‘Ooohhhhh!’ This is like it’s been custom blended for me! I couldn’t have got anything more perfect with my bottle of O CT. it’s got a load of my favourites in it-musk, incense, spices and resins, with the O honey supporting it all. It reminds me of my favourite Egypt-themed scents as well as my favourite honeyed musk and resin scents. it smells sexy and exotic and golden, lasts for ages, has impressive throw, and goes through some lovely morphs from deep smoky musk to musky resin to honeyed velvety musk and ambergris spiced with saffron to a gorgeous honeyed amber frankincense drydown. It’s so much richer and deeper than O, but the O honey and amber really enhance the other notes. Have I said that this is perfection? And it’s all mine, a whole bottle’s worth of it!

Emoticon rating: :love!:

Is it a keeper? oh hell yeah.

CVIX - this one is like a cross between O and Aries '07. It isn't half as sweet as plain O. The oil has a pale orange-red tinge and I think it contains dragon's blood. There's something that goes straight to my sinuses. The jury is still out on what it is, but it fades as it dries.

The strongest note is a light, clean but sweet floral. Maybe honeysuckle or orange blossom. There's definitely a little dragon's blood, and as the blend dries, I can smell more of the amber and vanilla, which combine to form a nice, round, golden, slightly sweet core. There's a little bit of waxy honey.

I'm still not sure what the sinus piercing note was. I initially thought something like pepper or cardamom, but the more I sniff it, the less I feel like there's any spice. There's something a tiny bit fuzzy about the blend that gets stronger and stronger over the next couple of hours. Definitely some kind of resin, I think frankincense.

This is really lovely. It reminds me a lot of Khrysee, but softer and sweeter. And with frankincense.

And what I get is a big, beautiful blast of lily of the valley. Maybe narcissus or some other spring flower. But, yeah, that heady, springtime, slightly peppery lily makes O its backup singer. Really nice! Perfect for this time of year and I think it was a judicious partnership of notes. I'm calling it "O o' the Valley" in my imp box =)

CXLV

(145)

The numbers rubbed off when I first opened the bottle.

At first I couldn't determine what this smelled like. I just knew that I wasn't getting any honey. Maybe musk, maybe spices..no honey.

The second time I tried it, I thought, it is leather. A soft leather, like the doeskin in Coyote. Maybe the honey is softening the leather. A soft leather.

If I were to see leather and honey as a description, I would jump at that scent in a second. They are two of my favorite notes. However, this scent does not stand out as well as I would want it to.

I really wanted more honey. I am layering it with O to see what that is like. On the verge of swapping.

Edited by cybra111

CCCXXXV: 335 (I think - label is a bit smudgy)

In the vial: I almost got knocked out by the florals; I think I can pick out jasmine and honeysuckle, but there's something else in there (not rose or carnation, possibly orchid or lily). No trace of O.

Wet: same strength on the florals, but with the powder of O around the edges. None of the beautiful honey or skin musk here. Honeysuckle really comes to the fore.

Dry-down: a strong, slightly powdery floral. It isn't dry at all, but fairly heady. Impressive throw.

At first try, this isn't a huge winner for me, but I get the feeling that it might age into something really nice. O is definitely a background player here, it is just a bit too delicate for the floral scents. I'll have to try again later on, and edit my review. I wish I had ordered a couple more - this was definitely a cool surprise.

CCXCI

O + Wine!! This is yummy! I am 3 for 3 with my Chaos Theory blends. The wine adds a sultry depth to O, and really prevents the powderyness I can sometimes get from just O by itself. This is O debauched. And I love it!

CCXII.

In the bottle: Um, I don't know, really. It definitely has an aggressive smell to it, but I have no clue what it is. When I first smelled it, I recoiled & was like, "What the hell?" but after sniffing it a few more times, it kind of grew on me. Perhaps a sweet smoke and overall dark, spooky feel?

On my skin... I definitely smell O with its dark honeyed sweetness and powdery amber. But this is like a creepier, angsty O, all dressed up for Halloween and sneaking around in the dark after stealing liquor from its parents. It makes me think of dry leaves and faroff bonfires.

As it dries down, it smells like O and sticky, fizzy cola + stale champagne, with a lingering bit of smokiness.

I like this, and I don't generally have good luck with Chaos Theory blends. I don't need more than my partial bottle, but I'll enjoy what I do have of this blend. It's an amusing scent.

CCXVI

Sniffed: Light peach oil. Tart, powdery, sort of tropical fruit. Sweet tarts! Pineapple and maybe some banana?

Wet: More tangy, really zingy. Definitely pineapple, though there are creamy notes too and I really do think I get banana. More powdery, though, with strong amber.

Dry: No change, and VERY slow to dry. The tangy fruit is sort of mesmerising, but the powder...ugh.

Later: Powder amps and turns to powder detergent-amber with a hint of tangy pineapple. O's amber REALLY hates my skin.

Thanks to cheshirecat for the sniffie!

CXXXII (132)

O is very strong on the honey in this blend. There is something in the background that I can't quite pin down... am I smelling root beer???? A few minutes after drydown, the A&W's is gone and I am left with honeyed vanilla and my beloved amber.

DCXCII (692? It seems a little high, but my label was very smudged and fell off my fuller than full bottle.)

This was interesting to me, because O was always on my "I need to get a bottle someday" list, but I was never completely in love with it to make it top priority. The first time I sniffed/wore it, I was like "Yep, smells like O."

This time, I got out an imp, and swiped and smelled O first for a starting point.

In the bottle: CHERRY O. Like twizzlers drenched in O. I find this puzzling, because...

On me, both wet & dry: O, with a bit of a dry undertone. Almost spicy, if I had to pin it down, I'd put it as a musk. And not white musk. If it was a little sweeter...I'd almost claim bitter almond, but I've sought out and worn all the blends with that note, and I don't think that's it. If it were hotter, I'd say pepper. I'm still going with musk.

After awhile, twenty minutes or so: The musk/whatever note burns off, and it leaves me with a less cloying version of O.

Explains my initial confusion...the sweet blast at the beginning is cloying like O, and it smells very O-like at the end. But it's different!

...I still kind of want a bottle of real O.

This little drop of decanted heaven does not have a number and it was gifted to me in a swap. Sorry folks! To me it is almost all O with a hint of somthing slightly more sugary floral, like a little Mouse's Long Sad Tale or something...sweet pea? cotton candy? Yum! :wub2:

cheshirecat's Chaos O #8 (number rubbed off)

Sniffed: Deep goldenrod oil. GRAPE BUBBLEGUM whoa. Honey plastic below. Strange...

Wet: More berryish, less grape-overload...still very fruity and candyish. I swear there's raspberry in here too. I get amber, and the plastic base note of O, but it's not really O-ish.

Dry: Going reallllly powdery, fast. Yep, grape and raspberry candied amber powder with a hint of honey. Not horrible, but not really pleasant either.

Later: Huh, more honey amping over time. Also, this has crazy strong throw. Eventually, it turns in to honeyed grape Pez with amber.

#CCCXLVII

I've never been able to wear O, so when the Chaos series came, I had to try for at least a variation. And I got one, a heady, musky, sensual one. But unfortunately, I think it has dragon's blood in it, a note that seems to work for a lot of people, but not for me. I usually get headaches from it. And in this blend, even on me it almost works. So I guess I would call it O and Dragon's Blood (or at least, that same sense of voluptuousness that dragon's blood seems to have). I sense honey, musk, the thick lilac scent I associate with dragon's blood. A great scent for someone else. :) Off to swaps.

cheshirecat's O Series #7

Sniffed: Warm peach coloured oil. Super honeyed O.

Wet: Same, but more powdery/plasticky as O is on me. I haven't tried O in a year or more, so it could even be straight O.

Dry: Extremely slow to dry. At this point, it's just O. Sickly sweet, plasticky, chemically, powdery/diapery O.

Later: Gahhhhh so sharp and plasticky as amber fully emerges. And so powdery. SINK.

CXXXV:

The previous owner said this was like "lime Lifesavers."

There's an initial blast of lime on application, definitely, but on me (sadly!) it fades very quickly, leaving a layer of something herbal. I can't pick out what it might be.

And, maybe there's some mint or something similarly cooling in there because it definitely feels slightly cool on my hand.

At the very end, there's just the slightest hint of O, which is fine by me because I don't like O that much. This blend barely smells of O. (Well, edit to say that the light scent of O lasts a lonnnnng time on me, so it ends up being a very O-like scent in the end anyway).

I wish the lime stage lasted longer!

Edited by Ondine

CLXX - 170

Sniffed: Peach oil. Something foody, like cake or cookies, light greenery, and the rotting florals of Ides of March.

Wet: Definitely buttery - oh yeah, hi tonka. Almost caramel-ly. Still a sort of citrusy green note - maybe lemon rind? I'm guessing the rotten/dank floral is iris.

Dry: Serious honey amping and it's seriously delicious. From a few inches or more, it's all I can smell. But then I zoom in and Ides of March lurks below.

Later: Cake dripping in honey, with gusts of honey-scented air wafting all around me. Some perfumey but not overly powdery amber.

Summary: Vanilla cake drizzled with honey and topped with irises. Quite light, feminine and pleasant on final drydown. Strong throw, but not that strong a scent.

Pretty sure my number is CDXXXII.

In the bottle: Lots of O and a bit of citrus.

Wet on skin: Oh my goodness, where did all these creamsicles come from? Are these all for me? I can't eat that many... can I?

5 minutes later: HOW DID I EAT ALL OF THOSE CREAMSICLES THAT FAST?

... And then there was no more orange creamy goodness, just O and maybe a little bit of something else. (Anise? Fennel?) It's hard for me to tell because fresh O is terrible on me--it smells like funky b.o. I'll have to revisit this in about six months, when the honey and musk decide to start playing nice on my skin--although it's possible that for the sake of the creamsicles, I might have to wear this scent in a locket.

In the meantime, it might come in handy: I'll be moving to Brooklyn within the next month, and if I want to fit in, I can just dab a bit on and smell like an unwashed hipster. :lol:

O Series: cheshirecat #10 (number rubbed off)

Sniffed: Orangey-yellow oil. Grape candy and light O.

Wet: More floral - I get grapey hyacinth, that's the grapey note. Reminds me a bit of High John the Conqueror. Clean, a little soapy. Faint hint of powdery, plastic O.

Dry: No morphing, but it's also still not dry. This really IS HJtC/O, with the grape hyacinth as the strongest note by far. I get a little more honey. Also, I think there might be apple in this? I'm reminded of Ladon before it went gross.

Later: More candyish/sweet, with O's vanilla emerging. A little more ambery, too. Overall, this has faded quite quickly.

Summary: Honeyed hyacinths over a light O base. By far my favourite O CT of those I've tried, but the O still comes out. Good throw & longevity.

CXV

In imp: O with florals.

Wet on skin: EW. The honey in O and the florals are mixing and it is NOT PRETTY (on me). Reminds me of the sniff I took of Flower Moon. This is what it likely would have smelled like on my skin.

Dry on skin: Didn't get there, I had to wash it off.

Verdict: To swaps it goes!