Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Hmmm. No list. It's very outdoorsy in the imp, all pine and earth. It's actually rather soapy when I put it on. I'd expected something very masculine, but it's not. There's something in here I associate with masculine scents, though, maybe a wee bit of leather. I think I still smell pine, and maybe grass or clover? It's very green, but not in the herbal way most of the other "green" scents I've smelled are. It's like, the dark grass green the lawn outside my window is right now. It gets sweeter as it dries down and I'm almost sure there are some spring flowers in here.

Wow. To me, Leipreachan smells exactly like a room full of library books. To be more specific, it smells *exactly* like the public library I used to go to as a child. It's rare that a perfume brings memories flooding back, and this is almost eerie!

In the imp, this smells like something clean (soapy herbs?) plus Dee. It's like an incensey, dry tobacco with soft leather.

On my skin... dry, slightly sweet tobacco leaves with a hint of smoky black leather. I don't get the floral or greenery that others have mentioned.

As it dries down, there's something perfumey and golden about this, and something slightly cloying. Gold, golden musk, leather, tobacco smoke, and a hint of rotting fruit.

Leipreachan's leathery-incensey-tobacco qualities remind me a lot of Dee, but this is lighter and more musky on me than Dee is. Something about it keeps making me think of gold when I smell this, which is quite interesting. It really is a cool, metallic, golden smell.

Edited by Little Bird

In the imp: Pine, mint (menthol? Something eucalyptusy), leather, grass. Delicious.

Wet: Exactly the same as in the imp, and stays that way for around forty minutes.

Dry: Tobacco, grass… very, very faint leather. Like sprawling out in the sun on the grass, next to a big butch guy who’s letting you use his leather jacket as a pillow. Really quite nice. Very masculine on me, and would be just incredible on a guy. Average throw, short to average longevity. YUM.

On first application, this was all about the clover for me, but after a week or so, I'm getting the leather too, both with a touch of sweetness I can't quite place. A lovely treat though.

In the vial: Sharp, almost vinegary and very green herbal.

Wet: Very green, with a bluish cast like juniper berries. There's also a sweetness underneath it, something floral I think.

45 minutes: Supple, resonant green fragrance, evergreen and something herbal, perhaps ground cover. The sweetness is there but is so integrated into the green that I think it must be the flower of some herb.

Hour and a half: Much less sappy now, more like the scent that lingers on fingers or clothes after traveling through greenery. Still evergreen-herbal.

Three hours: I still like this one. It's very dark green and a little bitter, with a tinge of floral in the background.

Leipreachan - This is a clean, green scent that's earthy without having a "dirt" note. It's slightly soapy, and although I have no idea what clover smells like, I'm just positive there's clover in here -- could be the scent name association doing that for me. It's not a scent that I'm particularly drawn to, but those who like green, grassy scents would love it.

In the vial: A golden-colored oil that smells green and masculine to my nose.

Wet: Hmmm...lets see what I can pick out here, leather? herbs? musk? oakmoss? tobacco? something sweet...a "perfumy" note...I think it's lavender. Yup. Lavender. Leather is the strongest note on my skin. I love it but, while I dry and dissect this perfume I want to pick it up and put it to the side so I can properly look at the other notes! :lol:

Dry: Ok, when I sit back and smell this as a whole this is a mildy sweet, fresh mostly masculine perfume (I can definitly get away with wearing this one though) with a nice leather note keeping everything together. When I wave my hand about a foot from my face this smells of sweet pipe tobacco and leather.

Verdict: Love it! I can't stop sniffing my arm. My little imp isn't going to last long. I will very much enjoy this while it lasts :)

I am going to come back and write my proper review later as I am laughing still - I just tried this on my hand and my six year old daughter leaned in for a sniff and said "oohhh, keep that one!" then skipped off to clean her teeth for bed, two seconds later she ran back to say "oh, when you don't want that one, can I have it??"

I'll try and give a proper evaluation of this in a bit but it is hard! Funnily the other day I was thinking how it'd be nice to have a bpal that smelt a bit like horses, well I think this might be it. My sniff-helper says..."horse's breath".

I smell, grass, leather, horse-ness and something hedgerow-y.

Imp: spicy, warm and woodsy, barely green

Wet: lush green spice

Dry: more high, dry, and powdery; so familiar.

This smells Irish, I'm not sure why; like warm rolling, green hills maybe. Very nice. Would probably be even better as a men's scent.

This smells very grassy, with a bit of leather and a hint of metal. A fairly masculine scent. For some reason, it also reminds me of how a MAC store smells, lol.

Ivy and grass! Like Garden Path With Chickens, but without the flowers (or the chickens, I guess). On my skin, though, the green notes fade and are replaced with...leather! And something dirty or dusty, and maybe patchouli a tiny bit. And there might be some tobacco in here too, or some kind of woodsy note?

Primarily leather, however. Dusty black leather, with some earthy-woodsy and green notes in the background. Smells like a worm's eye view of a leprechaun, where you can smell his leather shoes as he tromps through the countryside. ^_^ Very interesting scent!

I had the opportunity to smell this at DSWC. I didn't even need a test, because just a sniff and I knew how this would play on me. I can't wear green scents because they go soap on my skin. Man, this smelled like Irish Spring even just at a sniff. I guess that's appropriate! :lol: If you enjoy green scents this one will probably be for you. Not so much for me I'm afraid.

On me, this is lovely! It's very similar to Dublin but a little sharper and greener- not quite as sweet. I would definitely hoard multiple bottles if bottles were ever made available. *hint hint*

I just recently unearthed and retested the frimp of this that I got with my Bards of Ireland order. Aged Leipreachan is lovely, outdoorsy, sunny goodness in a bottle. I'm not getting the metallic note a lot of reviewers have mentioned; in the imp it's all soft greens (think grass and moss) with maybe a bit of patchouli and some light floral hiding in the background. Once applied, my skin really starts amping the leather note others have noticed. It's a warm, soft leather, with just a faint hint of powder, that really complements the green notes. As it dries down, I mostly get the leather while the green notes take a back seat (although they haven't gone away entirely). I'd call it more unisex than masculine, as there's a softness to the leather note, along with the slight floral presence, that keeps it from going full-on masculine to me. I'll definitely be reaching for this imp more often now that I've rediscovered it (and would totally buy a 5ml if it ever becomes available).

Hmm, automatically reminds me of balsamy outdoor freshness. There's also a touch of earth, like moss and/or leaves. Wet, this takes a musky turn. Not really my thing, but this blend definitely evokes impressions of the outdoors and the colour green.

In bottle: This is an odd one. I’m having a hard time pinning it down. It vaguely reminds me of a fragrance my Mom used to wear in the ‘70’s, but I couldn’t tell you which one. I’m calling it musk dominant with a metallic second in support. There’s a well blended earthy leather ubiquitous but not calling attention to itself and a moss, I think. There’s a soft a green grassy note supporting the metallic that I’m going to call clover for thematic reasons and the ghost of a soft floral.. Wet: The metal is now strongest. Iron would be illogical, but it makes me think of that. The leather goes a bit plasticky like a Band-Aid and is now second strongest with the musk in strong support. I’m now getting resin rather than clover and florals. It’s interesting, but hasn’t much throw. Dry: Wow, the leather really comes out as the rest fades. I’d call musk a strong second, blending well with the leather. It’s still a touch plastic, but it’s faint and blends better. There’s a touch of something herbal, I think.

I don't know what's in this, but sadly it's not really for me. It smells green, and kind of cloudy/fluffy for some reason, like some kind of fluffy flower. And there's something in there like a kind of pungent wood note... it smells not quite right on me. Like almost slightly menthol. Strange.

This starts off as amber and moss with a metallic tinge, but the metallic note becomes more prominent with wear, and some leather joins in after a few hours, so that it is mostly cologne-y metal with some red leather (like the kind in Red Rider) by the end of the day.

It's not for me, but it was fun to get to try it and try to decipher the notes!

My turn to try! On me this smells like vintage paperback books. 

If I sit and think about it, I get cracked leather and old copper coins. On the drydown a grassy moss note shows up that reminds me of cash. But first impression was used bookstore paperback. Very cool!