Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
greenranger

Thirteen (13): February 2009

Considering the state of the economy and other worldwide woes, I think we all need a little extra dose of good luck. A sweet, comforting base of dark chocolate and brown sugar with thirteen herbs of good fortune, including nutmeg, Tonka, allspice, star anise, Jamaican and African gingers, devil’s shoestring, lucky hand root, and thyme.

When it's wet, the anise in it is the strongest note, making it smell like licorice. Like licorice and... and root beer. Ginger? Absent. Other spices? Gone fishing, evidently. This smells like what it would taste like if I had one of those root beer-flavored hard candies in one side of my mouth and a piece of black licorice in the other side. It's not as bold as that would be, but that's the general feeling.

When it's dry, that whole licorice-root-beer combination goes away and I'm left with a vaguely spicy scent over a base of anise.

Good grief. What a mess. Well, I guess sooner or later my skin chemistry was going to have to foul up one of these Thirteens, and it looks like this is the one. Edited by filigree_shadow

Thirteen (13): February 2009 - On my skin, this is a total and complete wreck. It smells like someone had a rancid disaster in the kitchen. It's entirely allspice and thyme, each of which has it's wonderful place in the world of fragrance and food, but not together in this scent. It actually makes me think of the musty old corner of my great-grandmother's pantry where she'd kept her spices for years and years, and the subtle but pervasive odor of ancient mixed spices. Sense memory-wise, it's an awesome scent. For a personal perfume, it's awful on me. :(

SCORE!! :joy:

I'm so happy this didn't smell chocolatey! This bottle is over 1 yr old, and it's aged beautifully. Sugary spices: GINGER, anise, nutmeg, and allspice OH MY!

ETA:

I wore this all day and had to mention it has incredible lasting power. I kept smelling brown-sugary sweetness.

Edited by mxtine

On my skin, this smells like a thick, molasses-y gingerbread. Brown sugar sweetness and delightful spices. It's like a really classy incense shop and a high quality gingerbread bakery opened up next door to each other. I love it. It's definitely a nice "hoping for autumn" scent.

Chocolate? What's that? None of that here. Nope. Not a bit.

Ginger laden dark chocolate with thyme & star anise. It's very spicy, and for some reason the brown sugar doesn't turn to a burnt mess. However, with that being said, this is still a chocolate mess. It's herbal, spicy and then a sweetness emerges and so does the star anise. Together with my skin chemistry it doesn't translate very well, and Edens Sixth Day couldn't have described it more accurately. An aged spice rack rings true.

Bottle: spicy! not immediately foody - the depth of the spices (and lack of immediate sweetness) gives an almost resinous quality to the scent

Wet: anise, ginger, and thyme are forward, hints of allspice behind

Dry: still smells a bit like the inside of Penzeys, the thyme and anise particularly strong

Later: OMG, do I amp anise? rly!!?! I want to love this--and behind the anise there are all things spicy and beautiful--but the anise is aggressive. I'm undecided.

Imp: Spicy and a bit soapy!

Wet: Smells like chocolate and.. salty lovage?! Rather savory.

Dry: Despite the ginger and the chocolate, this smells rather salty to me. Salty and soapy. Sadly, not really my thing.

Just dropping in here to remark that this scent has aged very well. I liked it initially, but to be honest it was just barely wearable. I think the thyme and anise in it were producing a strong, herby, dry scent that was not playing well (to my nose) with the sweet, gingery brown sugar. It smelled like something I'd like to walk into in my kitchen but not wear on my skin.

I put it on today, as today's Friday the 13th, and it has mellowed into a warm, delicious, spicy/sweet, comforting scent. I think the chocolate and baking spices are more apparent now, but this is still not really a chocolate or even a foody scent. The herbs are still there, but not as sharp and "woody" as when it was new. I'm enjoying it much more now and am glad I kept it.

ITB: Warm, dark chocolate, allspice, thyme, and a dash of ginger. It certainly is more herbal than July 2012's 13.

Wet: It's very herbal on my skin. Heavy thyme and ginger start of the scent, which is then followed by the chocolate, nutmeg, allspice...and more ginger. I can pick up just a little bit of sugar, but none of the tonka or lucky hand root.

Dry: I thought this wasn't a ginger of doom scent, but alas, here comes the headache. If it wasn't for the ginger not agreeing with me, I'd like it. It reminds me of gingersnap cookies spices with nutmeg and all spice. It's really nice, but not for me.

I didn't realize that I had never reviewed this, so in honor of today being the 13th, I am wearing and reviewing February 2009's Thirteen (13). I have only purchased three 13's, and this was one that I immediately ordered two bottles of based on the notes. It's strong, very spicy and gingery, and very autumnal to me. I usually reserve this one for wearing in autumn and winter. Very strong throw and a little goes a long way, but I love it enough that I managed to polish off my first bottle a while ago and am on my second, even as sparingly as I wear it.

The blend of spices in this one does take prominence over the chocolate, but if you are looking for something that is very darkly spiced in a foody way, this is a beauty.

Good Lord! This is stunning! I agree with a previous poster that it seems to have a decadent tobacco note. What i think is probably happening is the chocolate, brown sugar and anise are blending so well together it comes across as tobacco. I usually cant wear blends with anise but this is so smokey sweet and spicy it is perfect. The gingers add a zing and the other spices and herbs add complexity. All praise Beth for her masterful blending skills!

What the hell happened? If I hadn't seen a photo of the label on the Lab's etsy page I'd swear I got the wrong perfume. Ginger with a hint of tonka in the bottle. Goes on as ginger and nutmeg with a sour base. Maybe there's some thyme, and the ginger gets dusty, and it ends up as unpleasant woodsy herbs. There's no chocolate, no sugar, no florals, and no other spices. I must be in the "my skin does not play nicely with this" camp.

Normally, I’ll do long reviews, but since this has plenty of reviews & it’s one of those scents you have to go looking for, let’s do a purely from an enjoyment stand point!

This is so good. Oh my gods. The anise & allspice are just *chefs kiss* & the nutmeg & gingers make this like a soft gingerbread scent (gingerbread loaf?). I cannot stop smelling it. The drydown brings it more into a really dark, soft spice scent. The anise & brown sugar are in the front & I love it. The whole thing as a mellow, almost amber coloured vibe to it. It’s very comforting & I’d wear this as a sleep scent because as it dries, it really stops being gourmand in anyway. It’s more like living near a bakery, getting subtle ideas of scent or hints of ingredients, but not an aroma of a whole. I do not know how this would have smelled on me at release, but it’s aged in a really spectacular way. I’d wear this to bed, or over to a friends house for a do nothing visit. Mostly though, I’ll just wear this for me, as both a comfort scent & an enjoyment scent. No one ever has to smell it & that’s fine with me. Even better if it helps bring me a bit of luck in the coming times.