Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
twilighteyes

Iron Phoenix v2

Unreleased prototype, no lab description.

This is a very subtle chrome-y scent. It makes me think of white or silver. I am having a hard time picking out any notes other than it is reminiscent to a masculine sports cologne. Maybe a teeny bit of lemon, white amber, bay, vanilla musk, freesia, white tea, and possibly lavender??

I would love to slather up the boytoy in this.

Okay, when I first uncork this I get the same metal/chrome note as in Torture Queen and Bed of Nails.

I'm wondering if this doesn't have some bay (it kinda reminds me to Azazel) and white tea. There's a certain 'lightness' to it that puts me in mind of white tea.

Lighter than both Torture Queen or Bed of Nails, it does have a certain 'masculine' flair to it.

This is definitively lighter than bed of nails and Torture queen....it actually reminds me of a fresh bottle of Torture queen...light...but it definitely has the metallic note of iron in it. :P

I need to smell TQ and BoN in again, because it smelled very heavy to me. Metallic, but almost with a "cast iron" tinge to it. Very heavy, very sexy, and masculine, but not necessarily a guy's scent. I loved it on me!

In the bottle: Light yellow oil. Ozone, metal, cologne. Zingy, aquatic, clean, masculine. Very slightly sweet.

Wet: Sharper, dryer. Sandalwood or cedar, maybe? Also a hint of some warm spice. Still lightly sweet and a lot like aftershave, or men's deodorant. White amber?

Dry: This stuff doesn't dry. It's been...30 minutes? At least? More spicy, in a foody way....nutmeg, I think. Less ozone, but still a lot of iron-metal. Possibly some birch wood.

Later: In the bottle it reminded me a lot of Torture Queen, but less floral, more masculine. With the warm spice/wood - albeit as an underlying note - this is more unique. Definitely some musk.

Summary: Torture Queen with nutmeg and birch, essentially. It's nice, but I prefer TQ. The warmth of the woody/spicy notes doesn't really jive that well with the cold/metal/aftershave elements. Decent throw, great holding power.

Iron Phoenix

In the imp: men’s cologne! Much sharper and more masculine than Metal Phoenix.

Wet on skin: lemon! There’s a citrus component, as well as a strong cologne scent.

Dry: this smells very much like Door 13 and Kataniya, more than Metal Phoenix and Mechanical Phoenix. It also resembles the Torture Queen a little, but less light and not as feminine, this has a definite ‘men’s sporty perfume’ feel to it. It smells fresh and bright and zingy and, sadly, a little generic. It smells like something along the lines of CK1, a kind of teenage perfume scent. It’s bright ozone cologne with a metallic background. Though there is something sweet at the back, which reminds me of the sweetness in Metal Phoenix and the Blockhead that I really liked.

After a while: this still has that sporty perfume feel to it, and still reminds me of masculine deodorant, but now it is softening and developing that sweetness that I find very appealing in Metal Phoenix. I’m not sure what it is, but it may be a floral. It’s somewhere between marshmallow and lotus and sugar cane, and yet it’s edgy because of the metal, has a light musk aspect, and has something that may be a citrus blossom, maybe lemon blossom? It’s almost a sweet lemon marshmallow but with clean metallic musk taking away the sugariness. And in here there’s that manly perfume overtone too.

Verdict: as expected from most metal scents, this one doesn’t really work on me, it smells too masculine and ‘generic cologne’ for me, at the beginning at least. However, I quite like the drydown, when it sweetens and I smell a hint of marshmallowy floral and citrus blossom coming through to calm the strident metal notes. It’s very pleasant, but the sharp cologne and ozone scent I get at first is too much for me. I prefer Metal Phoenix when it comes to scents of this genre, but it’s a lot nicer than Mechanical Phoenix was on me.

Emoticon rating: :huh?:

Is it a keeper? No.

In the bottle, Iron Phoenix smells like men's cologne. I'll have to echo other reviewers and say that it reminds me of blends like Bed of Nails & Torture Queen. It has that same bright, polished, slightly sweet, clean metallic smell to it. I also thought of Mechanical Phoenix.

On my skin, this instantly becomes spicier & warmer. Spicy-clean men's cologne over a soft, brown wood smell. As this dries down, it starts to get slightly smoky on my skin (like snuffed out candle smoke), and I can pick out something of a sweet lemon-like note. The lemon disappears after a while and I'm left with soft woods, candle smoke, and a lingering hint of spicy, exotic, clean men's cologne. It smells really sexy on me.

I'll definitely be keeping my bottle of Iron Phoenix. I like this one a lot.

ETA: I wound up selling this bottle recently, as it was starting to get sharper and muskier smelling with age. Really musky, dry, sharp, clean-metallic men's cologne. Very dry and harsh smelling.

Edited by Little Bird

A very nice basic for men. It starts out smelling like The Ninth Cage (which people compare to bed of nails and torture queen, but I haven't sniffed them so I don't know). Iron and Oak. It smells wet and a little sharp. Unlike Ninth Cage, however, there are some herbs or spices (sage or bay?) here that soften the iron and oak and make the scent a little sweeter and less abrasive. After a couple of hours, the sweet herb-spice smell clings to the skin and it smells a bit more like The Robotic Scarab or another spice and metal mix.

I like the very masculine vibe of pure iron and oak in The Ninth Cage, but I also like this softer variant. I find it a little more wearable. This is still very clearly a bpal oil - it does not smell confused or like the cologne counter. Still, Iron Phoenix v.2 isn't as funky as many of the BPALs I've come to know and love. IP v.2 lacks the edgy quality of pushing a note farther than you think possible while still smelling harmoniously good (the way laudunum does with nutmeg, say) but it is perfectly balanced and a very solid choice for daily wear. The worst thing you can say about it is that it is pretty safe for a BPAL fragrance. But then again, I'm just looking for faults to feign objectivity. This scent is really, really good.

In the vial: Floral and metal. It reminds me of Metal Phoenix, only with something like a dirt note added.

Wet: Very heavy floral, ozone, and metal notes now, with much less of the dirt impression.

Half an hour: Now the dirt impression is back, and it's still floral and ozone. The metal note has faded, or mutated maybe. I think this is going to be too ozone for me to wear.

One hour: It's blended down now into something that's quite smooth and even. I get a white floral (kind of soapy) and faint metal, ozone, and dirt notes. It reads shiny and white, though, definitely polished iron in my case.

Two hours: The floral is quite light now, still with a soapy aspect. More ozone and metal now, still with a touch of dirt.

Three hours: Lighter still. This has worked on me better than I expected, but it's not a scent I'd wear except for conceptual reasons. The second hour was pretty good, though.

Four hours: Light soapy scent with a tinge of metallic.