Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
twilighteyes

Blue Phoenix v2

Unreleased prototype, no scent description given.

In the bottle: The first thing that springs to mind is blueberry cake. Crumpet Rebellion's little blue sibling! Slightly tangy bottom or middle but very very sweet and foodie top.

On my skin: The tang mellows out into this luscious creamy blueberry scent. Lots and lots of vanilla. Seems less foody now if that is possible. Less like cake anyway.

Dry: Vanilla Vanilla Vanilla blueberry Vanilla. I want to keep my nose pinned to my wrist. There isn't a lot of throw but up close it is divine.

Sooo glad I got a bottle of this unsniffed! :wub:

Edited by TwilightEyes

This one goes on blueberry wine...very strong on the initial.This is a deep blue scent. The blueberry is there but it is balanced with other notes...it is not like blue fire where it is jump at you blueberry...the blueberry reminds me of blueberry wine...it is not a candy blueberry or a blueberry shortcake doll scent.It feels like there maybe a wine note that is more on par with blood garden playing in the background...I get am almost clean musky feeling to mine..yes there is a distinct light musk...very clean...there feel like there is a touch of juniper binding them together...it smells cold with out mint or ozone...it just screams I am blue...I do not get the candy blueberry scent that many did at the will call testers from before..so I maybe odd..

I remember sniffing a Blue Phoenix prototype before this year's batch of phoenixes came out. I was so bummed when this was not among them, because I had loved the prototype-sweet airy blueberry. I haven't had much luck with bpal blueberry (Blue Fire and Crawdad Dream didn't work on me) so I am hoping this will be the one!

Oh yes, in the bottle this is an airy vanilla blueberry scent. Sooo pretty!

On my skin though the blueberry note goes a little weird. I dunno...maybe my skin just hates blueberry...that bright blue sweetness just fades away >_< I end up with kind of a weird chemically scent. =/

Yeah, weird sweet chemically blueberry. DARNIT! I may hold onto this for a while to see how it ages, and I think this would be insanely gorgeous on the right person, but lab blueberry just hates my skin!

ETA: On full full drydown it's sweet blueberry powder. Still meh. ]:

Edited by Suu4LC

I think this is probably a blend that remained a prototype due to inconsistency. I'm going to try to nail down the merry-go-round ride that is this blend.

Phase 1: Most favouritest! Juicy summer blueberries with subtle moss-i-ness

Phase 2: Sweeter blueberry, missing the initial tart-ness that makes the blueberry note so real. Light wildflowers.

Phase 3: return of the tartness, now with a deep subtle caramel note. Toffee after blueberry picking? Still with the wildflowers.

Phase 4: Sweet-juice of the blueberries, now with powder, pollen?

Phase 5: Caramel Blueberry sweet tarts?

Phase 6: Powder-y very sweet caramel blueberry sweet tarts.

I don't know, maybe my skin chemistry is on crack? I'm keeping the bottle because Phase 1-3 as well as Phase 5 are absolute love. I think the blueberry and caramel notes in this blend are pretty unique and lovely. The caramel behaves in a way that it doesn't in other blends with my foodie-amping skin. The blueberry really matches the juicy sweetness and the tartness that makes a blueberry a blueberry. But this certainly isn't a blend you can go "well I'm in the mood for..." and then put it on hoping for something in particular!

Blue Phoenix....yum!

This smells like fresh blueberries mixed with MB underpants. They are both distinct notes and they are just perfect with my sin chemistry. Imagine a blueberry cobbler with sweet cream :yum:

This is a lovely blueberry scent. Kind of sweet and candy-ish for my taste, but I'm not much of a fruity scent fan. But if you like blueberries, this is the best BPAL blueberry to date and you will love it!

I think all the previous reviewers have done a fantastic job of reviewing Blue Phoenix, considering there's no note list to go by.

For me, it's definitely blueberries, but not a "genuine" blueberry (as in the real smell of a real blueberry), it's kind of an "enhanced" blueberry in a bubble-gum kinda way, more like how you'd expect blueberry candy to smell. Violet Beauregarde would be impressed!

As well as the blueberry, I also get a faint vanilla and also the hint of something green (moss?) lurking in the background, which I think is doing a great job of stopping this from being too sickly sweet. I agree with nursekins - once it's dried down on my skin, it gets a wine-ish feel, the initial candy sweetness dies down and I'm also getting a hint of musk.

Unfortunately it's not lasting long on my skin, but I haven't had a good slather yet.. I'll try that tomorrow on clean skin and see how it goes for lasting power.

This is to blue what Pink Phoenix is to pink.. the two are very very similar to my nose (except of course one is pink and one is blue and they actually smell completely different, but they feel the same if that makes sense). My concern is that Blue Phoenix may reveal that nasty plastic note that Pink Phoenix sometimes gives me.. I really hope it doesn't, because this is lovely and quite unlike any other BPAL that I have, so I'm absolutely thrilled to have been lucky enough to get hold of a bottle.

Blue Phoenix v2 - This is undoubtedly blueblerry. While it has a bit of that "fake fruit" scent to it, it's immediately identifiable as blueberry and is very sweet and juicy, and I can't stop sniffing my wrist! As it dries down, the ultra-fruitiness of it fades a bit and at this point I smell a very, very faint hint of flowers (bluebells?) and maybe a bit of blue musk and maybe even a hint of vanilla...but not the heavy, creamy, sweet vanilla often used in bpal blends; there's nothing "bakery-foody" at all about this scent, so perhaps it's vanilla musk? All I know is that when I'm wearing this, my arm starts to hurt from holding it up to my nose for hours on end. :lol: Actually, the "hours on end" is a bit of an exaggeration, as this scent only lasts about 2 hours on my skin. This is by far the best blueberry scent from bpal (so far!) and, in my opinion, the best of the entire color-phoenix series. What's the chance that it'll ever be widely available? I'm not going to hold my breath, but I can sure hope!

Edit to add that I think due to the strong blueberry content of this scent, it might go really well with MVJBA Pancake Breakfast for a lovely blueberry pancake scent!

Edited by edenssixthday

bluuueberry! it's a blueberry cream scent that for once doesn't turn gross on my skin. score! i am pleased...if only it weren't an unreleased scent.

Ok this one is a OMG !! i love love love love it!

From the bottle: First i also get a fake fruity scent and also a bit boozy.

Wet: still a bit boozy and really blueberry fruity ^^

Dry: OMG the vanilla is coming out and lovely not to sweet but soft blueberry's !! it's soo nice i too snif myself the whole day (and people are looking weird at me ^^)

*gonna score me another bottle*

----

After 5 or 6 hours it's turns in a Berry powdery scent also lovely ^^

Edited by Icekitten

Bottle: Blueberry! Almost a blueberry pie but really mostly a good solid picked from the bush blueberry

Wet on Me: totally blueberry….blueberry syrup almost sweet but the tartness keeps it from going totally sugar sweet on me. Really good homemade blueberry pie.

Drying down: Still Blueberry…which is a good thing. Lovely blueberry

Dry: pale sweet blueberry love. Gentle. Like a summer memory. Lovely.

Sadly...in the imp it was disgustingly sweet fake blueberry pie. On the skin...quasi realistic blueberry...actually more like realistic blueberry soap. *sigh* I will never find a blueberry scent that suits me. (I now see why this was a prototype.)

And I was graciously gifted this by sunshine daisy bliss. :wub2:

Sniffed: Bright yellow oil. Herbs, booze, and blueberries! It reminds me of Blue Fire in that way, but this is more herbal, and the blueberry note is less candyish, more like the real thing.

Wet: Similar, though the blueberry's a bit stronger. Definitely some gin, but this is richer and boozier...maybe some rum? It's not buttery/foody or particularly sweet. More tart. Slightly mentholic quality that i don't think is just the junipery gin.

Dry: Definitely more and more herbal, though the blueberry note is holding. I really don't get any vanilla or cake. The 'blueberry wine' comment resonates a bit - I can sorta see that, and this DOES feel similar to The Blood Garden (which is dark fruit, herbs, and wood on me).

Later: Huh...this is going spicy on me (again, like the Blood Garden does a tiny bit) - I get clove and cinnamon. Also, the blueberry note has gone slightly grapey/fake on me. It's not horrible, but I'm not crazy about it.

Summary: I do not like spice and I amp it. I love the start of this, but my skin does wonky, wonky things to it. The final fruit drydown is pretty nice, not TOO artificial, but the spices take over. This has good throw and longevity on me.

straight sniff from imp is fresh maine blueberries.... :P

once applied blueberries and cream and super fresh....wow....a touch

of something like flakey pie crust....slight butter hint as well....gah....

lurve this :D

A wonderful new forum friend shared some Blue Phoenix with me (thank you, thank you!) Before I even tried it, I knew I'd be a sucker... I love anything sweet/foody/cake-like. Blue Phoenix definitely has that sweet Strawberry Shortcake doll head smell, but it's tempered with a delectable vanilla cream that doesn't go all plastic on me. It's truly delightful. I only wish it lasted longer... now how's about a Yellow Phoenix (lemon tart? mmm)

A wonderful forumite sent me a decant of this. I thought it was one of the anniversary scents, but then searching on the site for more info, realized it was an unreleased one.

Anyway, very much blueberry, like a blueberry pie or cake. Actually, I'm going to go more with pie.

Yum!

The vial smells like sweet, yet somewhat sharp, blueberry.

Interesting, when I smell it on my skin up close I don't really get much scent.. something sweet and vanilla, like cake. It's only when I catch whiffs of it away from my nose that I smell blueberries. They're candied blueberries.. or no, perhaps like pie filling, that sort of scent - it's a little.. fake, though? It's a nice scent, but not really the sort of blueberry I've been searching for.

Blue Phoenix starts off super-sweet and cloying on me. It reminds me of blueberry pie filling, sticky-sweet with extra sugar. As it dries down, the berry becomes a bit more tart and a baby powdery vanilla type of note is creeping in as well. Blueberry candy and powder. It stays blueberry candy and baby powder on me for a few hours before it fades. I don't think that I need more than my partial decant of this...

In the bottle, it's pure blueberry goodness. On my skin, it has the initial Blue Fire blueberry but with less of the gin and as it mellows out, it becomes a little musky, similar to what many of BPAL scents smell like to me. It's almost like a hint of Snake Oil in there mixed with blueberry.

I would love for the foody goodness to be there but this is still very nice. Just wish it lasted longer on my wrist.

Oh Blue Phoenix. You are one odd blend. You start off as blueberry sweet tarts - blueberries, candy powder and sweetness. But as you dry, you get spicier and spicier. Definitely clove and cinnamon.

In fact, the drydown evokes Mabon-like comparisons to me. In that spicy + fruit intersection.

Blueberry, for sure!

In the bottle, it's sticky sweet blueberry, the same as is in Crawdad Dream, barely tempered with vanilla.

Wet, it becomes a rich, dark, fruity scent and loses quite a bit of the cloying sweetness. There's some type of musk present, as it starts to take on a "blueberry-scented eraser" lean. Thankfully, that passes once it settles into my skin. An earlier review claimed spice but I think acquires more of a woodsy undertone, almost like sandalwood. It's a mature blueberry scent, not at all like Strawberry Shortcake's companion. It has very little throw, but seems to linger for a while.

the fabulous schackjj sent me a bit of this a few weeks back to try...

I wasn't too crazy about the scent in the imp... but oh, mama! When I put it on and let it dry it turned into blueberry muffin wonderfulness. I am NOT a foodie for fragrances but I will make an exception in the case of Blue Phoenix. LOVE